Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Two-Way Players

I thought I read a couple of years ago that OotPB now accomodated two-way players. How? I tried setting up a fictional two-way player in a historical 1906 game, but it doesn't look like he'll be able to both play the outfield and take his turn in the rotation, due to fatigue.

What am I missing? Is there a way to edit fatigue? If so, I can't find it. I'm playing in commissioner mode. Any help would be appreciated.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i don't think you can do it in an automatic way, but with amore hands-on approach you can get him to pitch every 5th day and bat otherwise.

custom lineups etc... maybe have to chagne position occasionally, not 100% sure on the smaller details, but i know you can achieve it.

pretty sure pitching and positional fatigue are exclusive... that's the only thing i'd watch for. when you switch him to DH or a position, does it show as fatigued? does he recover to pitch in 5days if he also bats in between?

that type of stuff. i think it all works out if i recall past threads in forum correctly.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-09-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: lol, hyphenated automatic
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

I'll check that out tonight. In 1906 they use a four man rotation. My fictional guy is the third man in the rotation, and I have it set to 'always use highest rested'. I'll see if he ever gets a start.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

don't sim that first time, start the game and look at lineup -> if good all is fine with simming for future.. if not, that's a hands-on part.

so as an "SP" position you can start him in the field or dh on the other days? in depth charts etc etc?

heh, figures it can do that, but i can't have c/dh swap around in an easy manner using depth charts!
Old 11-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #5
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

I'm finally playing out the first series. By the time the fictional player's turn in the rotation comes up he's still listed as 100% rested. I'm more worried about how he recovers between starts, so that's still to be determined.

Unfortunately, now I have another problem. I started watching the games in Broadcast mode, which is closest to what I saw the last time I played (OotPB14 or 15). Back then you could drag the runner labels around the field, which I often did to get them nearer a base. Well, this time the label (small) for the runner on third was partly hidden behind the label for the pitcher, so I rolled my eyes and tried to drag it to third base. No dice, since every time I clicked on it, it would open that player's page instead of dragging. So, I tried right-clicking… and it disappeared! Much to my dismay, the same thing happened shortly after with a runner on first, and I can't figure out how to get them to show up again. Going to 'configure screen'/'reset' did nothing. (In fact, nothing I do on the 'configure screen' page does anything, largely because everything is ghosted, but that's a separate issue.)

So now I'm stuck using the very ugly 3D View, because in Broadcast View runners on first and third are invisible! Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Okay, something is distinctly odd here. There have been no days off, but both my game 1 (9 innings) and game 2 (8 innings) starters are 100% rested for game 3.

Also, the game is NOT starting the highest rested pitcher. That last doesn't surprise me much, as that feature didn't work in OotPB 7-14, either, though you would think that eventually it would either get fixed or dropped.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

You can definitely work on the UI stuff:

i think that's in the stadium setup? Team Home->Team settings, modify stadium...should see it from there. going on memory here.

if i recall, you'll have to do this each for: day/night and each team's stadium you visit? after that it remains as you set it. basically, it will take time if it still works this way to get it all as you want to see each time. ther's some wonky about the process, if you see it revert, that's 'why'... it didn't actually revert, rather it wasn't custom set.

I think there's a setting that allows you to move it in game too? maybe not... check manual, look around gui in related pages... finite amount of space to look through for an obvious;y worded checkbox, if it exists.

The SP reast: this is all controled in teh Stats and AI settings page (refer to manual)

for modern day rotation (5-man) you want the lowest stamina setting for SP, if i recall. This setting will control how many days it typically takes to recover... note: if you over work a pitcher (too many pitches in previous outing!) he will not recover in a 'normal' time defined by this setting.

this probably applies to 4-man too... but with a 5-man rotation setup, 1 setting allows for the very high stamina guys to recover in 4 days, while the lowest stamina setting will only allow players to reach ~83% after 4 days. SO, both settings can work well for a 5-man rotation (lowest stam and 1 up from that) -- probably somethign similar with 4-man and 3-man rotation resulting settings too.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-09-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/index.php?man=ootp18&_ga=2.125875849.52728571.1509 498870-4316218

I've been through the manual three times, and I find no references to how to play out games. I've watched the four tutorials, and found nothing about how to customize the playing field screen, except that it can be done. Note that I may have missed something in the videos, as they play faster than I can listen.

"Team Home->Team settings, modify stadium...should see it from there." — And I do see something. I tried moving the runner labels in my home stadium, and we'll see if that has any effect. Thank you for pointing it out. I suspect something else is going on with the 'invisible' runners on first and third, though. Our first three games were at home and the next two on the road, and the runners were invisible in both Detroit and Chicago.

"The SP rest: this is all controlled in the Stats and AI settings page (refer to manual)" — Found it. It's set to 'very high stamina' by default in 1906, and I haven't changed it.

The righthand column on that page revealed something to me. In the Position Modifiers Second Base has an error modifier of over 3, which explains why my second baseman — who has the best position rating on the team — leads the team in errors with 3 in 5 games. Cool. It also tells me why I keep getting caught stealing (chance of success is 25.5% lower than modern day) and why my four infielders with 55-65 ratings in Turn Double Play turn so few (chance reduced by ⅓).

It does make me more concerned than ever over my staff's low groundball rate, though at this point the sample size is miniscule. My four starters are rated 1, 15, 31 and 35 in highest expected groundball rate out of 98 pitchers, and the era modifier is +26.2%, and yet my staff is tied for lowest groundball percentage in the league with 51%. Well, hopefully that will correct itself over time. It took until game 3 for Ty Cobb to get his first hit, and Napoleon Lajoie and Honus Wagner are hitting right at the Mendoza line going into game 6. It can't continue, right?

Thank you for the help you've provided. I can officially wrap up the original reason for starting this thread, having found that two-way players are very possible in OotPB18 in the deadball era. I think I'll start a thread in the tech support forum to find out how to make those runner labels reappear.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there's a modify 3d stadium too? maybe? i clearly don't do watch the broadcast often.

you shoudl be able to do it in games too, look for a check box in pre-game setup/settings etc .. maybe in-game it's available only? or vice versa.

moving it in the stadiums will defintiely do it. i recall moving them in games too... as i played more teams, i'd set them as i saw them and eventually i saw all the stadiums that way. could do it in the stadium editor for each, too.

not sure on the runners -- worst case just guesstimate where they are and space things around them, if you can't adjust those "3" runners you work around them.

oh in game, try corners, top portion etc... might only be able to click and drag from certain point. think you can affect amount of info given too?

Last edited by NoOne; 11-10-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

about the stats stuff:

1906 had a %$#-ton of errors. so, it may not be wrong, just not what you expect due to watching modern baseball. definitely can't see anythign in a few games... maybe a few seasons sure. even then you can be quite a bit off due to ebb/flow of talent in league at any particular time.

on opening day the next season, click auto-calculate league modifiers (stats and AI -- only visible at certain times, can use in mil too, future ref). that will put it where it should be based on historic year and the talent in your league at the moment.

the very high stamina... how large is the rotation? start watching # of pitches. when you see a large # / normal # watch their fatigue reduce in the ensuing days. if # of days is less than rotation, there must be a reason for it.

maybe becasue sp were used in relief back then? if they are expected to also cleanup games, they'd need that recovery boost.

i don't know... but you could change it to match days of rotation, if you wanted. i can tell you about how the 2 lowest settings work, but not the highest... a little trial and error is easy enough and when you cahnge it, it is retroactive across league.

gb% has a lot of things going into it... as far as it being off, the auto-calc will fix this according to historic stats used too.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-10-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #11
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
oh in game, try corners, top portion etc... might only be able to click and drag from certain point. think you can affect amount of info given too?
You may be right about only being able to drag from certain points on the labels. I noticed that the widgets can only be dragged if you click on the very tops of them. I'm disinclined to make the attempt until I figure out how to make the invisible labels reappear.

You are right that the size of labels affects how much information they hold.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i want to say the top and only the edge of the labels? it's been a few years since i moved one, lol.

if you weren't at home (stadium of game played), you may need to deduce which stadium you were in to get those 'disappeared' labels back. modify stadium area?

you right clicked to do that rihgt? just don't right-click LoL. you'll be safe. if it happens again, no big deal you still need to fix it anyway.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

I was at home when the labels disappeared. I spent the next series on the road, and the labels were still gone.