Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

FHM Update, Version 4.1.40, Now Available

A new update for Franchise Hockey Manager 4, version 4.1.40, has just been released.

To apply the update:

-If you are playing the eSellerate version, just download the setup file and install it over your current installation. There is no need to uninstall or unlicense your current copy! However, you should quit the game before installing it, of course.
-If you are playing the Steam version, the game will auto-update if you have that option active. If you don't see the update in your Steam update queue, you may need to exit and restart your Steam client.

Download link for PC:
Main server: PC Installer

Download link for Mac:
Main Server: Mac Installer

This is the first major update for FHM4, and addresses the biggest outstanding problems reported after release. There are many other fixes and changes we still want to make, but the most critical things we could address in the space of a week are dealt with here. We're likely going to be looking at one or two more updates that are primarily bug-fixing before we can move on to making new additions (or other major changes that require extensive testing) to the game.

As always, we'll still be monitoring our forums and Facebook (FranchiseHockeyManager), Twitter (@FranchiseHockey), Reddit (/r/FranchiseHockey), etc. on a daily basis, answering questions and offering help as needed, so if you have any problems or suggestions, please let us know. Thanks for your continued support.

Changes in 4.1.40:

-roster data updated, NHL rosters are the opening-night versions (aside a few small additions/changes to represent last-minute moves properly)
-some tactics and tactical role requirements adjusted significantly; should significantly reduce or eliminate the problem with goons/checking forwards getting placed on top lines and good players on lower lines
IMPORTANT NOTE: these changes will not automatically apply to existing saves. However, you can add their effects to a save by copying the files "tactics.dat" and "player_roles.dat" from the \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 4\quickstart_games\OpeningDay.quick folder to your save folder (i.e., the folder in saved_games with the .lg extension and the name of your saved game), overwriting the versions of the files that are currently there. Note that while the while this will immediately affect the way the AI chooses its lineup, it may take up to one season for it to use the new data to choose better tactics for AI-run teams.)
-tactical role fit scores adjusted to increase the penalties for players playing at their non-20-rated position, making it less likely for the AI to use players out of position
-first NHL expansion will now add only one team instead of two (also fixes AHL/ECHL scheduling problem for expansion team affiliates and the missing farm teams for one of the new expansion teams)
-the waiver warning PM a human NHL player receives right before the start of the season now displays those players properly instead of being blank
-AI in top-level league in custom games should now send younger players to the minors instead of keeping them in the main roster, and top-level leagues are no longer forced to return junior-aged players to the junior league
-possible refusal of two-way contract by entry level contract-eligible player fixed
-possible crash when player requests number change fixed
-playoff stats no longer disappear from the roster and league stats views after the first season
-the red borders that indicate primary and secondary roles when selecting a tactical role are now dashed to improve visibility for colourblind users
-some highlight modes on the in-game display will no longer cause the game to skip past goals
-goalie start settings should now work properly instead of possibly causing the user's goalie to start every game
-in the pregame and postgame screens, the last games/previous meetings section is now sorted chronologically
-historical financial adjustments file corrected to include budget amounts in the 1917-1930 years (so budgets will now be on the same scale as everything else)
-"Iron Curtain" rule for historical games (preventing signing of Soviet-block players) should now be applied properly
-NHL contracted-player limits increased during the Original 6 years (i.e. 40s through 60s)
-NHL contract lengths restricted in the last few seasons before the WHA arrives to simulate teams responding complacently to the impending end of the reserve clause
-roster and lineup sizes reduced in the first 30 or so years of historical play, particularly in the earliest seasons; AI seems to handle it well so far, and should help with roster-filling difficulties in some start years
-best defensive forward award now more likely to go to a checking forward
-adjusted rookie of the year criteria to make wins by players with low GP less likely
-adjusted coach tactical preferences and goalie quality in the NHL slightly to get goal totals back closer to real levels
-achievements will no longer show the wrong popup and in-game version of the achievement
-achievement for winning lower-level international tournaments should now be awarded correctly
-Oilers historical challenge victory now triggeres correctly after the 5th Stanley Cup win
-player contract cap hits no longer editable without commissioner mode turned on
-clicking a retired player in the alumni list (possible if the player retires in mid-season) no longer causes a crash
-international game previews and recaps no longer show data for NHL teams in the recent meetings/head-to-head, injuries, and rankings sections
-custom leagues now have sound
-CHL rights for un-owned 15-19-year-old Canadians and Americans now set correctly: WHL/OHL/QMJHL teams will now be able to sign undrafted players directly from midget, Junior B, etc. at the start of the game
-score no longer reversed in "player participated in international game" news
-updated preset injury list
-players added to a shortlist via a right-click on the "Active Scouting" tab of the scouting screen no longer fail to move to the shortlist
-if a shopped player gets no offers, user will get a message to acknowledge that
-clicking edit in the workshop interface with the workshop already open in the Steam client no longer causes a crash
-crowd sounds now automatically restart after a goal when watchin in Full Game mode
-fixed league finals name failing to appear in some news stories
-various small text, formatting, and graphical changes
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
PaulContinuum
Bat Boy

See, this is what I'm worried about; I purchased this because there was no NHL xx from EA for the PC anymore. If I start a game, I'll always have fear in the back of my head that it will be all for naught once I'm into it because a patch will make it necessary to start over.
PaulContinuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

I think with most computer games these days this is reality. Even some console games. Patches frequently make this a risk, and is the reason I rarely set much up in the first month beyond assembling my collection of graphics/etc.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulContinuum View Post
See, this is what I'm worried about; I purchased this because there was no NHL xx from EA for the PC anymore. If I start a game, I'll always have fear in the back of my head that it will be all for naught once I'm into it because a patch will make it necessary to start over.

That's why you don't download the newest patch until you are ready for a new game (unless it has become unplayable)plus other problems could occur with the new patch and you should wait it out while others play too see if there are any major problems.

It takes me about an hour to start up a new league so usually I wait and see on each patch too see if I am better served with it rather than continue playing it previously.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 10-12-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
GDawg
Minors (Double A)

That's a great list of enhancements, much appreciated.
Regarding the AI-lines fix, i already started a historical league -1928 historical challenge with the black hawks-, will the workaround of the copying of
the .dat files work for the historical game as well, or just for the modern game? I noticed there aren't so many errors in the Ai-lines in my historical
save, so I might just continue playing.

Last edited by GDawg; 10-12-2017 at 01:07 PM.
GDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDawg View Post
That's a great list of enhancements, much appreciated.
Regarding the AI-lines fix, i already started a historical league -1928 historical challenge with the black hawks-, will the workaround of the copying of
the .dat files work for the historical game as well, or just for the modern game? I noticed there aren't so many errors in the Ai-lines in my historical
save, so I might just continue playing.
Should work as well.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

So if I create an expansion team I only get ahl not ahl and ECHL? If that's the case can we loan players to other ahl or echo teams..

Just wondering when the rating errors will be fix so I can play expansion team until CHL I a fixed
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

so i got a eseller cd key.. my question is if in uninstall it and then enter my cd key through steam can i still get it through steam or is it only eseller.. just because getting updates through steam is so much easier?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
so i got a eseller cd key.. my question is if in uninstall it and then enter my cd key through steam can i still get it through steam or is it only eseller.. just because getting updates through steam is so much easier?
It's only for the eSellerate version. The update for that isn't too bad, you just download and run the new file and it'll install right over top of your current version.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
So if I create an expansion team I only get ahl not ahl and ECHL? If that's the case can we loan players to other ahl or echo teams..

Just wondering when the rating errors will be fix so I can play expansion team until CHL I a fixed
The Hamilton ones you mentioned in the data errors thread are all fixed in this version.

If you expand, you get both AHL and ECHL farm teams for the expansion teams.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
The Hamilton ones you mentioned in the data errors thread are all fixed in this version.

If you expand, you get both AHL and ECHL farm teams for the expansion teams.
I know u guys hear it alot Jeff but great job... you guys always keep your fans happy and look forward to what else u guys have in store for us
Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #12
scootermojo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
-best defensive forward award now more likely to go to a checking forward
Sweet....was kinda absurd seeing Gretzky, Lemieux and Jagr winning Selke trophies. Any news on the other award flaws I mentioned such as a defenseman winning the MVP but not winning the best defenseman trophy (something that's never happened since the Norris was created...every defenseman who has won the Hart also has won the Norris since the Norris' inception) or the chances increasing of a goaltender winning the regular season MVP or playoff MVP if they have an absolutely outstanding season and playoff?
scootermojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:19 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Fixes coming for some of those, but not in yet.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 AM   #14
scootermojo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Fixes coming for some of those, but not in yet.
Cool, man...good to hear. Thanks!!!
scootermojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulContinuum View Post
Am I missing something here? It seems like these changes all go into effect for existing games aside from a couple files you have to copy over, which is no big deal. Am I wrong?
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #16
landru22
Major Leagues

I am curious to know if my situation would apply here. I am currently working on editing a 26 team custom league to effectively "import" my FHM2 save. This is a mind-numbingly pain staking task. I have edited the players for 3 of the 26 organizations and was dismayed to see that I would have to start over for the latest patch to take proper effect. I have not moved past August 15th and none of the team's even have lines setup yet. My question, since no lines or tactics are even assigned yet, do I really need to start over??
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #17
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
I am curious to know if my situation would apply here. I am currently working on editing a 26 team custom league to effectively "import" my FHM2 save. This is a mind-numbingly pain staking task. I have edited the players for 3 of the 26 organizations and was dismayed to see that I would have to start over for the latest patch to take proper effect. I have not moved past August 15th and none of the team's even have lines setup yet. My question, since no lines or tactics are even assigned yet, do I really need to start over??
You definitely don't need to start over. Just copy the tactics.dat and player_roles.dat into your save (or quickstart) as I described near the top of the patch notes, and you'll be fine.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
pens66
Major Leagues

Small question, not related to the patch, but maybe not worth a new thread:
Maybe I am blind, but where can I find information about the favourite jersey numbers of my players?
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #19
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens66 View Post
Small question, not related to the patch, but maybe not worth a new thread:
Maybe I am blind, but where can I find information about the favourite jersey numbers of my players?
They're only visible on the edit screen, under "Preferred Number".
Old 10-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #20
Caps 2nd Round Exit
Bat Boy

I'm doing a Caps game as GM and installed this update-- but I'm still getting Kuznetsov on the fourth line and Beagle on the second line. Any way I can fix this?

Also, not a big deal as it's an easy fix in commish mode, but the Caps should own the rights to the Panthers 2nd round pick and the Devils 3rd round pick in 2018 as a result of the Marcus Johansson trade

Last edited by Caps 2nd Round Exit; 10-13-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Caps 2nd Round Exit is offline   Reply With Quote