Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #21
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Team Stats Page

1) Please allow us to add or subtract various categories.
2) Team Finances page in online leagues is blanked out. Please let us see at least what we can see in the base Financial report. (In reality we should be able to see pretty much everything anyway. About the only thing we can't figure out right now is how much is going into scouting and development...which isn't _that hard_ to guesstimate.

3) This goes everywhere ... can we have adjustable column widths?
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
Player Profile Layout:

At the end of the day, most things in the Ratings and the Contract & Status sections need to be fit into the Profile. It really can be done. There is so much redundant information in them, really. Having them separate drived me no end of extra clicking.

1) Find a nifty way to display all defensive ratings at the same time. It's doable, and it would save me tons of clicks at certain times. (
2) Find a way to put ratings splits on the page by all the basic ratings. Again, this would save me lots of clicks.
3) I'll never really understand why the Team/(Throws/Bats)/Age/Ht/Wt/Salary line is duplicated in the Personal Details section. If you leave is on the top runner, take it out of the PD area, and give us more contract details...again, saving clicks. Most, if not all, contract data would fit here fine.
4) In PD, move overall morale down to, well, morale.

This goes to one of my points, which is to start really taking advantage of higher resolutions....as it stands now, OOTP layout is for the smallest resolution which was used ten years ago. I think by taking advantage of this extra space, there are so many better possibilities.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #23
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Team Strategy Page:

1) This takes for freaking ever. Please put everything on one screen so can see it all in one glance. This is completely doable.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #24
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
This goes to one of my points, which is to start really taking advantage of higher resolutions....as it stands now, OOTP layout is for the smallest resolution which was used ten years ago. I think by taking advantage of this extra space, there are so many better possibilities.
This is doable even at low res. But, sure, doing more with more is great, too.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #25
drhay53
Major Leagues

I apologize that this is vague but I can't find the exact screen right now...

There is one screen where dumping the html to disk results in only being able to dump page-by-page, which behaves very differently from the rest of the write-to-disk screens. Like many, I write scripts to parse these HTML pages and having dozens or more html pages is not really how I want to go about it.

A general comment related to parsing the HTML documents is that it's very important to me that the columns are always shown in the same order. For that matter, it's not totally clear to me which screens my views are common across. For instance, I have to re-create my export view for the international free agents and the draft. The INTL FA screen I know for sure has some columns that show up in a different place than for other screens (mainly the baserunning ones get moved to earlier columns than in other screens).

To answer the main questions:
1) Did you like the OOTP 17 color scheme and use of team colors. If not, what could be improved?
This is my first version of OOTP, but yes, I like the team colors.
2) How about the interface layout, is the upper area (info & navigation) easy to use and understand?
I found it a little confusing at times. Like, to get to the trade screen, I have to go through my GM menu, and to get to available personnel, I have to go through the ML free agents screen. There were many frustrating times just trying to figure out where a certain screen was. And don't even get me started on finding something in the game settings menu! I have found that I use the top bar for almost everything, now that I now where things are, but I wish I used the right bar more.
3) What interface quirks would you like to see fixed / improved?
custom views common across all sheets where they can be used. Columns always appearing in the same order across all screens.
4) Any feature ideas that relate to the interface which you'd like to see implemented (i.e. more hotkey support)?
custom statistics in the player profile page (i.e. the ability to add FIP- to the profile page stats of all pitchers). Custom views in the player stats pages (i.e. the ability to get ERA+ and FIP- into the same view in the pitching stats page for an individual player).
Also, sorry for the non-UI request, but please add ERA- to the available stats.

5) Which skin did you use in OOTP 17? Would you like to see an alteration to our usual default / dark / classic skin themes?
I used the default and classic themes, but ended up settling on default. Usually in these types of games I go for a dark skin, but for whatever reason, the dark skin in OOTP was really hard on my eyes. I switched out of it almost immediately. I just couldn't read things without squinting. I prefer dark background for almost everything I do, so it was a strange experience having it not really work for me at all.

Thanks for the great game and I look forward to seeing what next year brings!
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #26
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Finding and hiring managers/personnel is a royal PITA. One of the greatest time sinks in the game for one of the lowest values (IMHO).

1) Managers have Development and Relationship ratings for each team in our organization. Please let us sort on them rather than have to click through each freaking manager to find the three best candidates. I mean, this is just a "Where's Waldo" exercise.
2) If noting else, make the team we're looking for sticky as we're clicking through the gazillion "relationships" tabs.

This is really not fun. I'm fairly certain I'm in the majority on that comment today. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #27
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Upper Right:

I'm not a big fan of the "litter" in the upper right. It doesn't quite fit the area, and is distracting for me. It's also in quite little type/font, so I have to pay real attention to it to get anything valuable out of it.

Wasted screen space for a user like me.

For me it would be better to shrink the team logo, and just put:

TEAM NAME
RECORD AND STANDINGS (as today)

Then put the control buttons to the right of that...thereby giving more of the screen to content that's actually useful.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #28
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Ballparks:

Can we find a place in the Interface that would let us:

1) See our ballpark without needing to remember that "ballpark" is found in the "Settings" tab?
2) Sell all ballparks at once?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #29
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

My only real interface request is on the Broadcast screen (I don't use the 3-D if it is different on that screen).

We currently have the choice of including the header on screen, which includes team logos, records, win probability etc.

Most of it is just clutter to me, but I really like seeing the team logos on screen as I play. It would be nice if we could still have the logos but without the rest of the header.

I prefer seeing more of the park photos.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #30
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Under Team Home:

1) I have no idea how the content for "Home Page" and "Meet the Team" was developed or thought about. Much of it is redundant between the two tabs.
2) Also, the stats lists currently under "Info" seems like it would fit better in "Home"

In fact "Home" does not seem to be so much "Home" as "Current Performance" or something like that. If one were to rename it that (or "Current Season Overview"), it would make sense, and then the "Info" stats would completely fit. One could then rename "info" (which is valueless) as "History" ... which would have the History tab and Retired Players (and you could even put in a HoF tab (or a team HoF tab, which most online leagues do in forums or outside areas today).

Bottom line, the Team information pages are not particularly tidy these days, and there's no reason for it.

Last edited by RonCo; 09-30-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #31
pgjocki
All Star Starter

I hated the color scheme as some where just hard to look at - especially Miami and minor league teams with bright colors

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #32
drhay53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Finding and hiring managers/personnel is a royal PITA. One of the greatest time sinks in the game for one of the lowest values (IMHO).

1) Managers have Development and Relationship ratings for each team in our organization. Please let us sort on them rather than have to click through each freaking manager to find the three best candidates. I mean, this is just a "Where's Waldo" exercise.
2) If noting else, make the team we're looking for sticky as we're clicking through the gazillion "relationships" tabs.

This is really not fun. I'm fairly certain I'm in the majority on that comment today. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
Oh! yes! that!

Honestly, please make staff ratings being hidden optional.

My preference would be something like an 'interview process.' Each staff member has an underlying 'true' rating for every category. Each GM has a rating for how good they are at interviews. You can interview let's say 5 staff members per day. By interviewing them, you unlock their ratings in each category, with the accuracy controlled by the GM's interview rating. Each staff member could have am 'OSA-like' highly inaccurate estimate for each category before the interview process.

This is, I think, a very OOTP-like way to approach staff hiring. The current process feels like it doesn't match the spirit of the game.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #33
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I would like some sort of better color blind fix. The financials page in particular is impossible for me to look at colors and tell if they are positive or negative numbers. Perhaps parenthesis for negatives would be a good idea.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #34
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:

Plus 1000

Easier now to just edit coaches rather than spend time with horrible default options.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #35
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of staff...and I do think it needs to be expanded on in some way to make things both easier and realistic. One thing I don't like is that there's just a plethora of staff with upper level reputations...too many IMO
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #36
JcBoscan
Minors (Single A)

The only thing I'd want is a 'Delete Last Play' option. I play out games in a one-pitch, no play-by-play mode and occasionally I'll let a pitcher bat by accident. Strat-o-Matic's computer game has this option and it's nice for those situations.
JcBoscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #37
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

1) Team colors are fine, except when a team has white/silver as a secondary color in which case white text doesn't show up well.
2) The upper area should probably be a bit smaller. That's one of the major complaints I've been hearing about the new interface.
3) The lack of ability to perform certain actions in mass-select, such as position changes.
4) There are a few issues in DH leagues, but I'd rather use the suggestions forum.
5) An OOTP 9-esque theme would work well. Maybe OOTP 6.5 for the long-timers here.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #38
jlech1805
Minors (Single A)

Hot keys to navigate the various menus would be a huge addition.

Ideally, I'd want a set up similar to excel ribbon. Example clicking alt + P to go to the pitching staff etc etc
Attached Images
jlech1805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #39
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

1—Love it!
2—Great!
3—Would love to see the area for editing player and ball placements on 2d parks expanded to be fullscreen.
4—Nothing realistic.
5—I made a custom skin. I also used a custom background pix. The ability to do this is priceless!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #40
wilkiburger14
Minors (Double A)

Please can the Vs pitcher columns be sortable, most colunms can be sorted bar this one it seems. I like to use it for pinch hit substitutions etc. Hoping that it might be relevant
wilkiburger14 is offline   Reply With Quote