Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #21
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
What I plan on doing is starting in 2014 1 yr recalc fielding based on career. After year 1 i will expand the league by 4 teams. Seattle Pilots, St Louis Browns, Brooklyn Robins & Montreal Expos. All HOFers will be deleted in Inaugural Draft. Spritze DB.
Should I have pitching Stamina at Normal. high or Low? I will use steals for normal and pen on normal.
It's your game The Game, but out of curiousity why are you deleting all HoFers off the top? I have pitching stamina at normal, steals at normal, and use of relievers at often, but that's because those are the strategy settings for 1984, which I use for every season along with 1984 LTMs auto-calced at the beginning of each season, and 1984 PCMs. I use financials as they come up, but for the other three I use 1984.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-25-2016 at 01:53 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Whoa! Boggs debuted IRL at 24. Cool.
Have you had Ty Cobb appear yet? In my RDL, he debuts at age 22. In real life he debuts at age 18. Strange thing is, if you click on his real stats tab, OOTP shows him starting his career at age 22 and playing until he's 46 years old. Very strange.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #23
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Have you had Ty Cobb appear yet? In my RDL, he debuts at age 22. In real life he debuts at age 18. Strange thing is, if you click on his real stats tab, OOTP shows him starting his career at age 22 and playing until he's 46 years old. Very strange.
No Cobb, no Mays, no Speaker, no Mantle and no DiMaggio yet. I've had Griffey Jr. come through, but he was **** and won't be making the HoF. It was quite strange because there he was at age 23 in the inaugural draft, and he never really got off the ground. Led the league in HR twice, XBH once, and ISO once and that's it. He was really a non-factor, as he only racked up a 39.8 WAR in twenty seasons, which is absolutely lame for a RL inner circle HoFer. Oh well, it happens.

Herb Cobb, and Alex Cobb have been in my league, but no Tyrus Raymond as yet.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-27-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #24
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No Cobb, no Mays, no Speaker, no Mantle and no DiMaggio yet. I've had Griffey Jr. come through, but he was **** and won't be making the HoF. It was quite strange because there he was at age 23 in the inaugural draft, and he never really got off the ground. Led the league in HR twice, XBH once, and ISO once and that's it. He was really a non-factor, as he only racked up a 39.8 WAR in twenty seasons, which is absolutely lame for a RL inner circle HoFer. Oh well, it happens.

Herb Cobb, and Alex Cobb have been in my league, but no Tyrus Raymond as yet.
Cobb is 36 in my league and has a career average in the .340 range. He's wrapping up an injury riddled 79 season in which he will be lucky if he appears in 80 games. Glad to see he is back on the team though. He kept having setbacks and I was trying to get myself ready for the dreaded career over message.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #25
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cobb is 36 in my league and has a career average in the .340 range. He's wrapping up an injury riddled 79 season in which he will be lucky if he appears in 80 games. Glad to see he is back on the team though. He kept having setbacks and I was trying to get myself ready for the dreaded career over message.
I hate that career over message. Does it have to be so gleeful? Career over! Hahah! Sucks to be you! Ok, I added a couple of things, but can't we have the proper tone? It's a sad day. What's with the exclamation point?
Old 01-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #26
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

The next draft pool is out and whoa boy is it loaded. Johnny Bench, Lou Whitaker, and Ernie Lombardi are in it. Bench is the best catcher ever, Whitaker should be in the HoF, and Lombardi is a borderline guy who is in the HoF. The sad thing is the Yankees (7-time WS champs including three in a row going into this year) are in last place, and thus have the first pick with "Use pre-defined draft value for AI" turned on. They already have Cal Ripken for criminy's sake. Bench and Ripken? Oye!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #27
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The next draft pool is out and whoa boy is it loaded. Johnny Bench, Lou Whitaker, and Ernie Lombardi are in it. Bench is the best catcher ever, Whitaker should be in the HoF, and Lombardi is a borderline guy who is in the HoF. The sad thing is the Yankees (7-time WS champs including three in a row going into this year) are in last place, and thus have the first pick with "Use pre-defined draft value for AI" turned on. They already have Cal Ripken for criminy's sake. Bench and Ripken? Oye!
Whitaker was just forced to retire in mine last season due to a concussion. Age 39, .291, 2588 hits, 270 home runs, 1158 RBI, .371OBP, .434 SLG, .805 OPS, 3 Gold Gloves and a 75.3 WAR.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #28
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Whitaker was just forced to retire in mine last season due to a concussion. Age 39, .291, 2588 hits, 270 home runs, 1158 RBI, .371OBP, .434 SLG, .805 OPS, 3 Gold Gloves and a 75.3 WAR.
Awesome. Looks like a HoFer to me. What's his JAWS?

EDIT: I could talk about this stuff all day. Does that make me an OOTP geek? Guilty as charged your honour!

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-27-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #29
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Awesome. Looks like a HoFer to me. What's his JAWS?

EDIT: I could talk about this stuff all day. Does that make me an OOTP geek? Guilty as charged your honour!
JAWS is 61. League average is 59.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #30
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Reggie Smith is an Uber God in my league. He just had a .344/.411/.645/1.056 season (.448 wOBA!) with 53 HR, 139 RBI, 127 R, a .301 ISO, 89 XBH, 420 TB, and 24 SB (with 8 CS, so a decent 75% rate). He put up 10.8 WAR, and an 8.7 WPA. He led MLB in AVG, SLG, OPS, wOBA, WAR, WPA, Hits, HR, RBI, Runs, XBH, and TB. He has 55.8 WAR in his seven seasons so far and he's only 26, so he's just entering his prime. Mamma Mia!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #31
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
JAWS is 61. League average is 59.
HoF average is 59. League average is much lower. Get this man a plaque. We can't honour him IRL it would appear, so we'll just have to put him in in OOTP life.

EDIT: What the JAWS average score is indicating is that the average 2B in your HoF has a JAWS of 59. Right now, I don't have any 2B in my Hall, so I can't offer a point of reference. IRL though, the average JAWS score at 2B is 56.9, while the average career WAR at 2B is 69.3. Your version of Whitaker beats both averages, so he definitely should go in. Even guys who don't beat the average should go in because it's the "average". There should be some players above it, and some below it.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-27-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
HoF average is 59. League average is much lower. Get this man a plaque. We can't honour him IRL it would appear, so we'll just have to put him in in OOTP life.

EDIT: What the JAWS average score is indicating is that the average 2B in your HoF has a JAWS of 59. Right now, I don't have any 2B in my Hall, so I can't offer a point of reference. IRL though, the average JAWS score at 2B is 56.9, while the average career WAR at 2B is 69.3. Your version of Whitaker beats both averages, so he definitely should go in. Even guys who don't beat the average should go in because it's the "average". There should be some players above it, and some below it.
I only use a 2 year waiting period, so he will start getting votes after the 1980 season. I have one 2B in the Hall, Eddie Collins.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #33
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

1979, the year of the strange batting title race. 5 games left in the season. Willie Horton leading the league with a .332, followed by Bobby Grich .330, Wade Boggs .327 and Cecil Fielder .326. 3 of these things just don't belong here
Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #34
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Last post (for now). I have two HoF-looking 2B in Roberto Alomar and Tillie Shafer.

Alomar has a WAR of 72.6 and a JAWS of 57.7, with a .289 BA, .353 OBP, .423 SLG, a 119 OPS+ and a 120 wRC+, 2749 Hits, 1362 Runs, 1294 RBI, 481 2B, 120 3B, 185 HR, 554 SB, 6 Gold Gloves, 11 All-Star Games, 6 Silver Sluggers, 2 MVPs, 3 Rings, and a World Series MVP (in his age 19 season for crying out loud!). He should have quit playing after 1918 or so (it is now 1924), but I will not hold that against him. He will go in.

Shafer is not as decorated, but is just as good (just not defensively, definitely a slightly below average at 2B). He has a WAR of 71.0, and a JAWS of 54.7, with a .282 BA, .372 OBP, .399 SLG, a 119 OPS+, a 121 wRC+, 3022 Hits, 1656 Runs, 1245 RBI, 490 2B, 65 3B, 210 HR, 586 SB, Rookie of the Year, 9 All-Star games, 7 Silver Sluggers, and 1 Ring. IRL, Tillie Shafer played four seasons and had under 1000 PA, so he is a product of the player development system. I wish both these guys would retire already so I can put them in. At this point, they are just embarassing themselves.

The point is that your guy Whitaker is slightly superior in both WAR and JAWS, so yeah...he belongs.

EDIT: Oops. I said last post. Sorry about that chief.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-27-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #35
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1979, the year of the strange batting title race. 5 games left in the season. Willie Horton leading the league with a .332, followed by Bobby Grich .330, Wade Boggs .327 and Cecil Fielder .326. 3 of these things just don't belong here
Whoa! What is Grich's OBP? .430 or so? Must be in and around his age 32 season when he went off and hit .304 in 1981.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-28-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #36
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Whoa! What is Grich's OBP? .430 or so? Must be in and around his age 32 season when he went off and hit .304 in 1981.
No, he's actually just starting out. At work so not 100% sure, but I'm guessing he is 23 or 24 years old.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #37
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Do you vote for your Hall of Fame or do you simply let the AI do the choosing? I'm an AI guy. I voted one time and I really wish I never did. All 3 of the individuals I voted for made it in. I had no idea the human vote is weighted. Puig go in on my vote and I tend to think he needs and asterisk by his name. Ugh!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you vote for your Hall of Fame or do you simply let the AI do the choosing? I'm an AI guy. I voted one time and I really wish I never did. All 3 of the individuals I voted for made it in. I had no idea the human vote is weighted. Puig go in on my vote and I tend to think he needs and asterisk by his name. Ugh!
I vote for my HoF because otherwise guys would get in that I don't agree with. I also allow the AI to vote, but yeah it is weighted quite heavily towards my vote.

Guys who are weak in WAR and JAWS would be getting in too much for my taste due to their other good to great counting stats. I can't put up with that because somewhere like defense or baserunning, they're coming up short. But that's my peccadillo. For example, Griffey Sr. with his 3256 hits or Dave Kingman with his 511 HR. If I left it purely up to the AI, I'm sure they'd get in, but I don't want them there because they don't measure up as all around players. Some guys don't have the counting stats that come from a long career, but had an amazing peak that shows up in their WAR/JAWS numbers.

In other news Roberto Alomar finally retired, along with Gary Sheffield, so they'll be going in in 1930, if I make it that far. Of interest to you as a Tigers fan, Norm Cash will be getting my vote this year, but he'll be going in as a Pirate should the rest of the voters deem him worthy. Victor Martinez will also be going in eventually (retired two years ago) as a catcher (and Yankee), and Miguel Cabrera is just starting his career as a 3B, though he was kinda meh in his age 19 season.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-28-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #39
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's your game The Game, but out of curiousity why are you deleting all HoFers off the top? I have pitching stamina at normal, steals at normal, and use of relievers at often, but that's because those are the strategy settings for 1984, which I use for every season along with 1984 LTMs auto-calced at the beginning of each season, and 1984 PCMs. I use financials as they come up, but for the other three I use 1984.
So they appear as rookies later on. Also kinda cool, when i set OOTP to use Gambo's historical logos it did not load the 2014 logos but logos from all years. 1905 White Sox, 1927 Phillies, 1977 Mariners so i am using the stadium from that year and the uniforms from that year. Using 2014 modifiers and financials and will just keep them at that. Set Stamina to normal and stealing to normal.
Only bad thing is the league has a severe lack of OF. Several teams have no starting CF listed and i had to trade 4 players to get Vince Di Maggio since i also did not draft a CF. My team is 3-6 so far.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #40
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
So they appear as rookies later on...
Gotcha. Thanks. Sorry to hear about the CF. I don't usually see position shortages, but I might not be looking closely enough.

EDIT: Then again, I use the default database and sprinkle in random players from the Spritze database.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-28-2016 at 11:48 AM.