Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #21
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Do not forget the 'designated base runners'.....and someone to stand out in left field next to Lonnie Smith to make his throws for him......
I would point out that the idea of designated or courtesy runners has been proposed in the past.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #22
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I would point out that the idea of designated or courtesy runners has been proposed in the past.
And is used in little league through high school.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #23
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
No DH.
Baseball = 9 guys in the lineup not 10
So, let's get rid of the bench and bullpen, too!! No substitutions, baseball is 9 guys!!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #24
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose View Post
So, let's get rid of the bench and bullpen, too!! No substitutions, baseball is 9 guys!!
I'm for that!

I actually started my varsity baseball career as a regular courtesy runner for our big fat 1st baseman when I was in 8th grade.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #25
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

I do not get why people want to see the pitcher hitting. Sure, it's great when they hit a HR, but that's like once every 200 pitcher at bats or something probably less. The other 880 times, they're out. 11% of your line-up sucks and that is boring. Boring. Boring.

Once the SP is out, relief pitchers don't hit anyway; so, ohhhh...I have to figure out how to do a double switch. It's strategy! No it's not. It's a gimmick to be different than the DH. Double switches are just as gimmicky as a DH. There, I said it. Sure, it's what the game was like years ago...but that was when pitchers were halfway to being a decent batter, not 10% decent. The game has changed in dozens of ways, all to make the game better and more interesting for the fan.

I've never once said, "OOOooOOO...It's a double switch!! YEAH!! MY FAVORITE PART OF THE GAMMMMMMMEEEEE!!!!"
Old 09-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #26
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

As I said before the DH is just illogical.

If you don't want pitchers hitting, just bat 8 players.

But pitchers are not as bad at hitting as you seem to think. They get a hit about half as often as a regular batter. And the pitchers that are good hitters are something special that should not be taken away from the game.

Edit: The Dodger's pitchers are actually hitting at a rate more than double that of their DH's.......

Last edited by Questdog; 09-14-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #27
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As I said before the DH is just illogical.
Just as illogical as a player being out after a foul ball on a bunt with two strikes. Just as illogical as pine-tar being legal, but a spit ball being illegal. Just as illogical as a first basement and catcher being able to use specialized gloves. Almost every rule in baseball is illogical or arbitrary. It's a rule...a rule made by people.

Quote:
If you don't want pitchers hitting, just bat 8 players.
Or, you know...have a player hit for the pitcher.

Quote:
But pitchers are not as bad at hitting as you seem to think. They get a hit about half as often as a regular batter. And the pitchers that are good hitters are something special that should not be taken away from the game.

Edit: The Dodger's pitchers are actually hitting at a rate more than double that of their DH's.......
Then, have the DH bat for someone else. Or, don't use a DH. If you want your pitchers to hit, have them hit. If it's so great, why not have the NL teams hit their pitcher when playing an AL team.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #28
Bowtie
All Star Starter

I am all for getting rid of the DH and interleague play. Call me a homer but I like the NL style of gameplay as opposed to the AL. The strategy in the NL is far more interesting than seeing Big Papi come up to bat 3 or 4 times per game and get paid tons of $$$ to sit on his fanny most of the game. I have never really liked the DH.

As for Interleague play, that doesn't interest me either. Again, call me a homer or old school but I want to see baseball get as close to the way it was back in the 1970's and 80's - where you only had teams playing within their league. It does make games like the AS and WS much more interesting if the guys are facing each other for the first time.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #29
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose View Post
Just as illogical as a player being out after a foul ball on a bunt with two strikes. Just as illogical as pine-tar being legal, but a spit ball being illegal. Just as illogical as a first basement and catcher being able to use specialized gloves. Almost every rule in baseball is illogical or arbitrary. It's a rule...a rule made by people.
That is nonsensical.....none of those things you mentioned are illogical or arbitrary.......I think you need to look up the meaning of arbitrary.....

P.S. I never said the DH was arbitrary, just illogical.....baseball is a game designed for 9 players with each taking his turn at bat. Why should an outsider, not otherwise participating in the game , be allowed to hit?

P.S.P.S. You are not allowed to use the DH in MLB for anyone but the pitcher.....

Last edited by Questdog; 09-14-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #30
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I think to appease both sides they should have one league with the DH and one league without.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #31
Texasborn
Major Leagues

I agree with the above statement,the MLB needs to keep its current rules on DH.
Texasborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #32
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is nonsensical.....none of those things you mentioned are illogical or arbitrary.......I think you need to look up the meaning of arbitrary.....
Arbitrary. based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

There is no reason for those various rules to be in place except for somebody (or a group of people) deciding it to be so.

Quote:
P.S. I never said the DH was arbitrary, just illogical.....baseball is a game designed for 9 players with each taking his turn at bat. Why should an outsider, not otherwise participating in the game , be allowed to hit?
Because that is what a group of people decided to make the rules. Baseball is a game where a team fields/pitches in an attempt to get the other team who who...bats and attempts to score runs. That's it. There was a point when there wasn't even a fixed batting order. But the rules were adjusted to make it fixed. Also, how's he an outsider, he's apart of the team and apart of the line-up. Do you really think there shouldn't be any substitutions either? I mean, why allow a RP? The person starting the game as pitcher should end it too...teams should only pitch guys that can last the entire game.

There is nothing more illogical about the DH than any of the other rule changes.

Quote:
P.S.P.S. You are not allowed to use the DH in MLB for anyone but the pitcher.....
Didn't know that. I'd make that change...the DH can be used for any hitter that the team chooses.

Last edited by MorseMoose; 09-14-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #33
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

But that's enough of this. I don't really care if they change the rules, I just think hating the DH is dumb. It's a rule like any other. Thinking it's something else is...I don't know...illogical, or something. DH or not DH, it's going to come down to personal preference.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #34
magnet 2.0
Minors (Single A)

@Questdog: I like how because you disagree, it's "illogical." Both sides have logical reasoning. You don't have exclusivity on logic.
magnet 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #35
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet 2.0 View Post
@Questdog: I like how because you disagree, it's "illogical." Both sides have logical reasoning. You don't have exclusivity on logic.
Uh, you need to re-read my contract......