Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #1
Vyper
Minors (Double A)

1871 Issues

Every couple of years this game sucks me back in with the hope that I can finally recreate an accurate sim beginning in 1871. I just picked up v9, but unfortunately still have some issues that I haven't been able to resolve.

My goal is to create as accurate a replay as possible, meaning real teams (all of them), real rosters, real trades, schedules, etc... If I'm forced to use a modified DB and league structure just to get this to sim properly, it won't hold my interest very long.

I was able to 'historically' sim 1871 pretty accurately using a 1 league, 9 team structure
  • Create historical league using modified DB
  • Remove all teams and second league
  • Create (not import) the 9 teams that played in 1871
  • Manually assign players
  • Create 1871 schedule
  • Sim

Here are the issues I've come across
  • If you use the modified DB just to create the historical league, can you change that later so it points to a different DB? I know on one-off imports, you can, but have a feeling that something was hard coded during league creation that is causing some of my problems.
  • Number of AB's for 1871 is really low even after adjusting modifiers (about 10250 simmed vs 15713 IRL). I can't get this number up that high without significantly increasing the number of hits, which results in players hitting .750 for the season.
  • Even though I have 'Hold All-Star Game' disabled and it's not scheduled, the auto-play drop down still shows "all-star teams announced" and and "all-star game" on the schedule for 4/16 and 4/18. The first game of the season is 5/4. When the teams are announced, there aren't any players, and the game isn't played on 4/18, but it's a slight annoyance.
  • Last game of the 1871 season is played 10/30. On 11/1, all teams disappear (drop down, team stats, standings, etc...). I can still find players by doing a search, but can't release them to the free agent pool. Release all players in the setup functions doesn't do it either.
  • New teams for 1872 aren't created automatically. I guess this isn't a huge problem because if I understand right, the auto-expansion feature will work after 1901 and I can do it manually until then. Question though, if I don't use the expansion draft (prefer manually assigning players to the correct teams), does auto expansion still work?
  • If I am manually expanding, do I need to do this on 10/31/71 when all teams are still visible, and I can move players to their new team, do I release all players on 10/31/71, then create the new league structure during pre-season? Or is there a better way that I'm not seeing?
Vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Vyper
Minors (Double A)

I think I've resolved some of my issues, so if anyone else experiences something similar...
  • The DB issue seems to be resolved by using the modified DB only for starting the league (up to pre-season 1871), then moving it out of the directory and replacing it with a different DB (lahman 5.6 in this case). Again, I'm not sure if this actually changes anything or will cause problems down the line, but if there is anything hard coded, at least the game will look at the right place.
  • I'm still not sure about the AB's, but I have good modifiers, so my stats are typically within 5%
  • The all-star game issue may have been a fluke. I started a different game and don't have it any more, although I have seen the same issue, but with playoffs (turned off).
  • By turning off 'automatically expand league', the teams no longer disappear. This is fine since I'll do the expansions and roster moves myself during the off season. Not sure if it can be turned back on later though when the league settles down (post 1900)
  • If I have auto expansion turned off, I can't really expect new teams to be added automatically, but at least I can get the right teams in and the game doesn't crash if I have an odd number in a division or expand with an odd number.
  • As far as expansion, since old teams don't disappear any more, I think I can do this manually any time during the off season, but I'll have to do a little more research on if it should be done at the end of one year or the beginning of the next (don't want a player history to show playing time with both teams if he was traded/moved in the off season. That was a problem I always had with older versions of OOTP.

Last edited by Vyper; 03-09-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Vyper, how do your error totals (or rates) compare with history? A discrepancy may be a cause in your AB totals.
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
Vyper
Minors (Double A)

Totally user error, my 15713 number is for 1872. 1871 should be 10822 and I'm about 10300 simmed.

Fielding for 1871 is 1853 errors simmed vs 1885 errors in real life. That puts my % at .848, which is still a little high.

I think my biggest problem is that it's hard to reconcile 10.47 runs per game against a 4.22ERA when you're only looking at the stats and the scores.