Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:31 AM   #1
SeaBear
Minors (Double A)

How to see rust

Is rust a rating/stat anywhere that we can see in any player file?
SeaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBear View Post
Is rust a rating/stat anywhere that we can see in any player file?
Sorry no. If you already know this information great! It will be here for someone else if they need it. If you did not know it, you are welcome!

Rest assured though that all players that go into the regular season without the benefit of spring training to "knock off the rust from the winter" will be subject to possibly a slow start and/or an increased chance of injuries. Also when coming back from longer injuries players gather rust while on the IL. If you do not send them to rehab their injuries (which also knocks off their rust from being out, gauge rehab time on injury time) they are again more subject to a poor start and/or re-injuring or being injured again. Some people follow these instructions, some don't. Up to you. Your game, play it your way!

Have a great night!

Palaaemon
Old 01-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
CBeisbol
Banned

Your scouts should be able to see "rust", no?

I mean, I'm sure* they don't in the game, but they should

*I'm actually not sure. In a fictional league I created all my minor league starting pitchers were scouted at 20/20 (on the 20-80 scale) for every level before the season. Once they started pitching they were properly scouted

Last edited by CBeisbol; 01-21-2020 at 08:36 AM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaaemon View Post
Sorry no. If you already know this information great! It will be here for someone else if they need it. If you did not know it, you are welcome!

Rest assured though that all players that go into the regular season without the benefit of spring training to "knock off the rust from the winter" will be subject to possibly a slow start and/or an increased chance of injuries. Also when coming back from longer injuries players gather rust while on the IL. If you do not send them to rehab their injuries (which also knocks off their rust from being out, gauge rehab time on injury time) they are again more subject to a poor start and/or re-injuring or being injured again. Some people follow these instructions, some don't. Up to you. Your game, play it your way!

Have a great night!

Palaaemon
Do you know whether rust ever sleeps?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
leandrocamargo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

Have a great night!

Palaaemon
Does OOTP 20 currently have this behavior implemented? Or is it only a personal choosed way of play the game?
leandrocamargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

The Philosophy of Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm not sure, but I know that Rust-Oleum makes rust 🐟🐟🐟🐟.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandrocamargo View Post
Does OOTP 20 currently have this behavior implemented? Or is it only a personal choosed way of play the game?
It iS part of the game and has been for as long as I can remember. What I was referring to was that some people take rust more seriously than others.
It is definitely worth "knocking the rust off" before the regular season or rehabbing after coming back from a month or longer injury (the length of the rehab can vary based on the length of the injury).

Hope this helps Leandro! Have a great day!

Palaaemon
Old 01-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Or does it just fade away?
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
redranger
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle View Post
Or does it just fade away?

Sometimes it’s better to burn out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
leandrocamargo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
It iS part of the game and has been for as long as I can remember. What I was referring to was that some people take rust more seriously than others.
It is definitely worth "knocking the rust off" before the regular season or rehabbing after coming back from a month or longer injury (the length of the rehab can vary based on the length of the injury).

Hope this helps Leandro! Have a great day!

Palaaemon
It's good to know about it, thanks! I'm going to take it in consideration while playing now.
leandrocamargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #11
Len1950
Minors (Single A)

redranger said:
Quote:
"Be careful to be gentle, lest in removing the rust you break the whole instrument."
Benedict of Nursia, 6th century monk.

He was the patron saint of inflammatory diseases, founded twelve communities for monks, likely would have made a fine team trainer or baseball commissioner.
Len1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Don't know if this will help anyone but I play with injuries on "high" and my "rule of thumb" is 30 days. Less than 30 days on IL and I'll typically bring them right back to the roster. Once they've been out for 30 days then I'll typically use the rehab option for at least a couple of days unless it is one of my best players in a pennant race where I may bend my rule. I will adjust those guidelines up or down a bit for guys rated as "wrecked" or "durable". If someone has been out for four months or more then I typically let them use all or most of the rehab time available before bringing them back. These guidelines seem to work fairly well for me.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #13
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see them change "tired" to "effectiveness" which would incorporate into a single rating "tiredness" from over-use and "rust" from lack of use.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #14
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I'd like to see them change "tired" to "effectiveness" which would incorporate into a single rating "tiredness" from over-use and "rust" from lack of use.
This is a very good idea

Incorporate injuries in as well

Scouting is underused as just giving some ratings. It SHOULD show fluctuations in those ratings due to tiredness, injury and "rust"
Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #15
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
It SHOULD show fluctuations in those ratings due to tiredness, injury and "rust"
I disagree with this. I don't think scouts in MLB are performing these functions. However maybe a system where a player can communicate some of these things, such as asking for a day off or a guy who's been on the injured list for a while letting the team know when he feels like he's back to normal with no rust would make sense. This seems to be something that happens between players, coaching staffs and training staffs more than it is a function of actual scouting. In fact, maybe adding a function to the trainer where he identifies players in need of rest or players coming off injuries that could use rehab time to "knock the rust off" might make some sense. I'm certainly open to something like that. I just don't think it should be a job for the scout.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 01-22-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #16
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's referencing a line from a Neil Young tune.

He's the patron saint of great songwriting and blistering, scattershot electric guitar.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 PM   #17
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
In fact, maybe adding a function to the trainer where he identifies players in need of rest or players coming off injuries that could use rehab time to "knock the rust off" might make some sense. I'm certainly open to something like that.
That probablly makes more sense
Old 01-24-2020, 02:52 AM   #18
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle View Post
He's referencing a line from a Neil Young tune.

He's the patron saint of great songwriting and blistering, scattershot electric guitar.
Also a Def Leppard song.

Football Manager has a decent system where you can see both tiredness and rust at the same time. I think OOTP could do this if it wanted, as you can already see two separate tiredness indicators for 2-way players.

Last edited by Argonaut; 01-24-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #19
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

Hey hey, my my
Not sure I understand why

A guy can't get re-injured on a rehab assignment as easily as he can if you just plop him back into the lineup. He's playing baseball. Is it an effort thing? (I ain't diving for that in the minors.) I guess I can see it with starting pitchers because they don't go deep, but on the other hand I've had guys' arms 'splode early in spring training when I have them on 50-pitch limits.

In my experience the effect of rust on performance is unpredictable, as I suppose it should be.

Last edited by old fat bald guy; 01-24-2020 at 05:16 PM.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #20
byzeil
All Star Starter

This is from a long time ago but is the only "official" word from Markus that I've seen regarding Rust.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...0&postcount=15

Is it the same now or have things evolved? Rust exists and I consider it in ST and when a player is out for more than 2-3 weeks. The shorter time they are out the shorter I leave them on rehab assignment. I'm especially cautious with Fragile/Wrecked players and rehab them more than others.

Last edited by byzeil; 01-24-2020 at 06:03 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote