Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 08-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Mindblanking
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Resetting a game

Hi,
Although I've been playing baseball sims since buying APBA through the mail in the mid seventies, I have to admit I've found OOTP to be a bit daunting. I mean it's phenomenal but there's definitely a learning curve. For instance, I wanted to set up a tournament with 64 of the best teams of all time and watched a vid on how to do it. However, when I finally got started, the game didn't go right to the tournament. There was spring training happening and players getting traded without me authorizing it. Obviously I did something wrong and wondering if there's a way to restart the whole thing without having to set it up from scratch. Took several hours to figure out the 64 teams and would love to not have to reimport them if possible. Also, I'd like more accurate face pics if possible. The generator does some funky things and I know that players here use mods. I'd like to learn how to do that as well. I'll probably have a billion more questions before I'm through but, hopefully, one day I'll be the guy answering them, not just asking them. Thanks!
Mindblanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

First and foremost rule to learn with OOTP:

Make Backups Often

Cannot state this enough, make backups often.

When you create a league, make backups along the way, every so often. When it is finished and ready to start, make a backup and tuck it away somewhere. Then if/when you want to start your league over, you don't have to start from scratch - you can just load the copy and start from there again.

For player pics you can use real photos or facegen. Both are included with the game. League setup, "Players and Facegen" tab is where you make your choices for that.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 08-12-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Mindblanking
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
First and foremost rule to learn with OOTP:

Make Backups Often

Cannot state this enough, make backups often.

When you create a league, make backups along the way, every so often. When it is finished and ready to start, make a backup and tuck it away somewhere. Then if/when you want to start your league over, you don't have to start from scratch - you can just load the copy and start from there again.

For player pics you can use real photos or facegen. Both are included with the game. League setup, "Players and Facegen" tab is where you make your choices for that.
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the case and will do so going forward. As for players and facegen. It does generate faces but often times players are the wrong skin color, uniforms are wrong, the city they're playing in is wrong. Just wondering if there's a way to make things more accurate.
Mindblanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

I will add to Bluenoser's comment about the backups - if you spend a lot of time setting up a league, there's always value in doing periodic SEPARATE backups. NOT overwriting the same single backup!!

There's nothing worse than regularly backing up your game, then realize something has gone wrong, and you need to rewind back to the start of the season, and you can't because you've been backing up every day. I've made that mistake a few times.

I usually save separate backup files for:

- Before I even start playing my game.
- Day before opening day
- All-star game/midseason
- Day before playoffs start
- Dec 31

The "day before" stuff can be important, because a lot of settings in OOTP become disabled/enabled when you move into the next phase of the season. For example, you can't change the schedule once the season starts. So if you find out your schedule got messed up somehow, you need to be able to rewind back to the preseason. If you had backed up ON opening day, you'd be screwed.

I haven't played around at all with tournaments, so I don't have any specific suggestions about your other stuff, though. I do know that most people who play "historical" style games prefer to use photos to Facegen. The only reason people might use Facegen is if they want to see their players' faces age over time, or change uniforms.

Regarding setting up your tournament, if it were me, I'd probably create a totally separate file and try to set up something like a four-team tournament and make sure everything works the way I want. Then I'd go back and adjust the 64-team one as necessary.

Good luck! I know the setup can be daunting. One of the big challenges about OOTP is you have SO MUCH freedom to do what you want, but the tradeoff is that it's very difficult for the game to guide you precisely, because there are so many damn options!!
Old 08-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
I will add to Bluenoser's comment about the backups - if you spend a lot of time setting up a league, there's always value in doing periodic SEPARATE backups. NOT overwriting the same single backup!!
i may be wrong, but i believe you'' have to start over, if you don't have a back-up of pre-changes or have exited (saved) game after you made changes/mistakes.

i back up - under a new name EVERY month of my game, if not sooner. i keep a pre-opening day backup on an external HD for all the seasons of the current game i am playing. When i tire of the current game, and start trying something else, i'll delete those no longer to be used files, but only after i've gotten immersed in the new game.

But as said above, back-up. you can't do it too often, as long as you have HD space. i keep 2 copes of back-ups. One that is only of the current playing year on my game pc, but another for the full year, as well as my "Essential" opening day back-ups on an external HD.

I've been playing since v. 14 and YES i've had to restore from back-up many times, due to dumb moves, huge miscalculations and other assorted issues - almost ALL due to operator stupidity. The longest i've had to rerun is a month. i learned this the hard way, losing a 50 year game due to the fact i didn't make back-ups with different names, just kept writing over same one.

As said above, enjoy, try a hundred different ideas and find one that works for you, no matter how simple or complex it is. It's your game - play it for yourself and enjoy it. But keep them back-ups. They are essential.

And have fun.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 08-12-2018 at 06:05 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindblanking View Post
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the case and will do so going forward. As for players and facegen. It does generate faces but often times players are the wrong skin color, uniforms are wrong, the city they're playing in is wrong. Just wondering if there's a way to make things more accurate.
If you're using historical players, there is a historical facegen image pack available through add-on central (or Steam Workshop, depending on how you purchased the game) and that should take care of the facegens. I think there is a historical jersey pack in those places as well.

At the very least, you can always download and install them manually from http://ootpmods.com, too.