Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #21
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspomeranians View Post
Are the golden knights players and coach ever going to get the ratings they deserve in this game?
We've re-rated and improved them repeatedly, as I've said before, and will continue to do so. In the last test game I ran, they finished 50-24-8.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #22
Mickeyb37
Major Leagues

The Vegas Golden Knights players are very underrated in the game. I don't think that they shouldn't be updated because the players form is good at the moment and might change during the season. Some of these guys have been better players, than their rating suggest, during their careers so far and deserve better numbers :-)

Matt LeClair - Penfold (1975-2015)

Last edited by Mickeyb37; 01-25-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Mickeyb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:58 AM   #23
Kinsella19
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyb37 View Post
The Vegas Golden Knights players are very underrated in the game. I don't think that they shouldn't be updated because the players form is good at the moment and might change during the season. Some of these guys have been better players, than their rating suggest, during their careers so far and deserve better numbers :-)
They just finished with 130 points in my first simulated season since the buffs. So no they don't need any more upgrades. If anything they need to be nerfed because their basically unstoppable now
Kinsella19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #24
vegaspomeranians
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella19 View Post
They just finished with 130 points in my first simulated season since the buffs. So no they don't need any more upgrades. If anything they need to be nerfed because their basically unstoppable now
They are unstoppable.
vegaspomeranians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:02 AM   #25
vegaspomeranians
Minors (Double A)

I hope VGK gets the respect they deserve for FHM 5.
vegaspomeranians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #26
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspomeranians View Post
I hope VGK gets the respect they deserve for FHM 5.
I am sure Vegas getting to the finals and possibly winning it all is good for Vegas, but not good for the NHL IMO. An expansion team cannot make it this far in the NFL, MLB or NBA in its 1st season. The fact this happened in hockey kind of degrades the sport. 2nd round matchups in hockey are horribly done as well as the better record teams don't play against lower record teams in their conference.

Of course, in Vegas, if you placed a bet on Vegas to win it all at the beginning of the season your payout would be at least 500 to 1.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #27
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The success of LVGK is unprecedented in all of sports. If I were the developer I'd resist just responding to a once in a lifetime thing. Just my

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #28
Wealthyfriends
Bat Boy

Does this thread not encapsulate the Vegas Golden Knights season as a whole?
Wealthyfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:14 AM   #29
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The success of LVGK is unprecedented in all of sports. If I were the developer I'd resist just responding to a once in a lifetime thing. Just my
Still, it should be possible, if very unlikely, to have this kind of thing to happen in the game. My best working theory right now is that the biggest factor (outside of excellent leadership and management in Vegas) is a much closer competitive balance in the league that there used to be.

Why, though? Part of it's probably due to a combination of expansion and new roster rules, particularly the cap, that makes it much more likely to get an even distribution of talent. If you assume the number of really elite players is relatively constant over the last several decades, or at least growing much more slowly than the league, they're getting spread more and more thinly, diluting their influence.

But at the same time, player development is more efficient than it's ever been. So that's probably inflating the ranks of guys who can play competently (but not superbly) in the NHL. Salaries, though, haven't really taken that into account. If you assume this model's correct, second-line scorers should be a lot more dime-a-dozen now, but you still see that type of guy getting long-term contracts for 5-10% of the team's overall cap hit. Hand out a few of those, and what once was a successful team turns into one that's hamstrung by cap problems that can get left behind by one that's been built/rebuilt on the cheap. Leaguewide, that's probably a pretty good thing, no fans should have to experience their team being sub-.500 for decades at a time. But it's going to take some getting used to.

So, for the game, the direction I think we'll head in is maybe changing the shape of the talent pool slightly to expand the number of NHL-capable guys (just the starting one, player generation already does something like that over time.) And we're also looking at expanding the role of stats/production in player valuation. If we get that working right, it should do a better job of reflecting how a season or two of big production from an average player (who was in the right place at the right time) gets him an outsized contract that burdens his team in the long run, and makes teams assembled out of cheap (but still high-quality) talent more upwardly mobile.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote