Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
butsam
Minors (Single A)

MLB: AL DH rule

Hello fellow baseball fans!

I would like to hear arguments in favor of (and against) the DH. Do you think it favors either the NL (no DH) or the AL (with DH) in interleague and World Series play? Do you agree with the rule from a philosophical perspective? Why or why not?

--- My Answers ---

I personally do not like the DH rule. I think it takes some strategy out of the game, and I like the idea of all players having an offensive and defensive role. That said, I do understand it can extend player careers in some cases (if they are among the best hitters), gives you a way to bring in players that are emerging stars, and it does lead to games that have more offense.

I am pretty convinced the rule favors the AL. For a small number of games, keeping a power hitter that can't also play a position isn't nearly as valuable for a NL team. On the other hand, AL teams should keep such a person in the line-up, as a majority of their games will be played with that extra person required.

Finally, if I could tweak the DH rule at all (because realistically I know it's going to stay in the AL...and hopefully will stay out of the NL), I would tweak it as follows: The *visiting* team's DH rules are used in the regular season, but in the playoffs the home team's DH rules are used. Minor tweak, net result is neutral (you play as many interleague away games as interleague home games), but the fans get to see the game played both ways.

Last edited by butsam; 08-02-2014 at 07:43 AM.
butsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Cam_Childs
Bat Boy

For the dh.
Cam_Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
I'm okay with your tweak. I've thought that for 10 years now.

I'm all for the DH. Strategy or not, it's not worth watching a pitcher hit and the added risk, no thanks.

I'd rather watch Josh Willingham (no matter how mediocre he is) hit than Kevin Correia.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I don't mind the DH but also like the strategic needs of NL baseball. Wishy washy, fence sitting, yeah that's me.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Depending on the day I either tolerate or despise the DH. I believe that David Ortiz is dirty (PED) and that he couldn't hold up over the course off a season without the DH rule. Therefore he shouldn't be in the league and in better shape at 37 than he was at 25.

I love the strategy of NL post season play and having to decide between a switch hitter and keeping your ace in the game. That creates drama and actual decisions by the manager.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #6
Jason Moyer
Hall Of Famer

I'm for the DH. It adds more strategy to the game.

99% of the "strategic decisions" you have to make involving bunting, pinch-hitting, double switches, etc in the NL are automatic, which is why you see more variance between the number of bunts and pinch hitters/pinch runners used in the AL than in the NL.

"I was very fortunate to have a pitching coach by the name of Tom House...Tom, I really miss those days that we spent in the weight room and out on the field working together."
-- Nolan Ryan's HoF Induction Speech

Last edited by Jason Moyer; 08-07-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Jason Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Against the DH, but as long as it's only in one league I'll tolerate it. I prefer the strategy to the NL game and I actually don't mind watching pitchers hit. Having a pitcher who can hit is a definitely advantage for an NL team. There is a fair amount of Pitchers that know what their doing in the batters box. Not every pitcher is Bartolo Colon.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
CD1083
All Star Starter

An advantage the NL has over the AL is the can carry an extra pitcher/utility player that the AL cannot. In the AL, they know they need that 9th guy to be a hitter and probably one that doesn't field that well so not much use elsewhere on the diamond.

While the instead can have that be an extra pitcher or even a utility guy that can do a number of things.

I'm for keeping things the way they are. If we got rid of it or moved it to the NL, there would be a part of baseball gone forever. I like the difference between the two leagues.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
John Madden
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
It bothers me that the leagues are different, although I understand why it appeals to some. Same with different dimensions of ballparks. It's interesting, sure, but not very sporting IMO.
John Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
pgjocki
All Star Starter

In golf each course is different and the players carry different clubs. Being different isn't always a bad thing. With that said, I disagree that all of the strategy decisions are automatic, if they were then the owners wouldn't spend millions on the coaching staff.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
John Madden
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
In golf each course is different and the players carry different clubs. Being different isn't always a bad thing. With that said, I disagree that all of the strategy decisions are automatic, if they were then the owners wouldn't spend millions on the coaching staff.
Golf is a lot different, because all of the players play the same courses. If there was a balanced schedule in MLB, then it would be a bit better.
John Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Watching NL games, I cannot count the number of times I have seen men on base and two outs and the pitcher at bat only to watch him flail about and strikeout or make weak contact.
And it makes me ill to hear about an 'productive out' when a pitcher bunts up a runner or manges to advance a runner on a weakly hit ground ball.

I am all for the DH
Pitchers .OPS have been in steady decline and knowing the outcome before an AB is no fun at all. And almost 90% of the time we know the outcome of a pitchers at bat
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
Jason Moyer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD1083 View Post
An advantage the NL has over the AL is the can carry an extra pitcher/utility player that the AL cannot.
The NL uses, on average, over 1 extra pinch hitter a game vs the AL (because of all of the automatic "pinch hit for the pitcher" situations) which more than negates that extra roster spot. I can't seem to find stats on defensive substitutions on B-R, but the AL uses twice as many pinch runners because of the extra roster flexibility given by not having to use a pinch hitter everytime the pitcher comes to bat after the 6th inning. Being able to keep a pitcher in the game in late-and-close situations if he's pitching well adds some roster flexibility as well.

"I was very fortunate to have a pitching coach by the name of Tom House...Tom, I really miss those days that we spent in the weight room and out on the field working together."
-- Nolan Ryan's HoF Induction Speech

Last edited by Jason Moyer; 08-07-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Jason Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote