Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
dickysty
Major Leagues

Talent Change Randomness question.

I'm trying to strike a balance between historical numbers and some nice talent changes that seem reasonable.

Have you guys found what works well as far as a setting for Randomness?

Currently I'm using 25 but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to make a difference. I also have recalc off.

Any suggestions would be great
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I keep recalc off and use 75.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickysty View Post
Currently I'm using 25 but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to make a difference. I also have recalc off.
Wow. Basically if you have 25 on a scale of 1-200, you have a 1-in-8 chance of a player not being historical, I believe.

I have mine set at 67, so the player will be historical (for the most part) about 2/3 of the time.
SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
dickysty
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittingDuck View Post
Wow. Basically if you have 25 on a scale of 1-200, you have a 1-in-8 chance of a player not being historical, I believe.

I have mine set at 67, so the player will be historical (for the most part) about 2/3 of the time.
Maybe I'm misremembering how the recal works. I would have thought that going from 100 to 25 would give me about a 75% chance of ratings staying the same.

I guess I'm not understanding how it works.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

There is an additional option called Talent Change Randomness, that allows you to adjust the frequency, not the severity, of talent changes. A setting of 200 is twice as many as the default 100; a setting of 50 is half as many as the default, and a setting of 1 will mean very, very few talent changes. 200 is the maximum value.

-OOTP8 Manual, pg 141

hth
Old 05-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
DrSatan
All Star Reserve

The lower you set the talent change randomness the more likely the player will live up to his potential. This means your top prospects are less likely to bust, but it also means you won't get any diamonds in the rough, like late round draft picks who's potential (talent) raises. I recommend using a low setting in historical leagues, because of the frequency of pitchers busting after the first couple seasons.
DrSatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

The lower you set the talent change randomness, the less likely there will be changes, good or bad. So it's not necessarily true that a player is likely to live up to his potential.

Setting it at default 100 equates to more chance of change.

Setting to 25 equates to less chance of changes.

There is no setting that says they'll be bad or good changes.

So both options have their risks.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
DrSatan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
The lower you set the talent change randomness, the less likely there will be changes, good or bad. So it's not necessarily true that a player is likely to live up to his potential.

Setting it at default 100 equates to more chance of change.

Setting to 25 equates to less chance of changes.

There is no setting that says they'll be bad or good changes.

So both options have their risks.
Talent change randomness affects "TALENT", not "RATINGS". So, if you have a prospect with 5 star potential and set randomness to 1, it will keep him from becoming a prospect with 1 star potential. Like I said before, it will also keep potential from increasing, so you won't have a 15th rd draft pick who's potential goes from 1 star to 4 stars. The setting doesn't affect ratings progression. Ratings are decided by player development speed and how the player is managed. It is much more likely that a talent change will be negative rather then positive, so the higher the setting is the more talent changes you will have, the more talent changes you have, the more busts you will have. This is why most people lower this setting. It is much more "risky" to raise this setting then it is to lower it. Player ratings develop towards their potential (talent), so it's much more beneficial to keep the potential (talent) from changing.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSatan View Post
Talent change randomness affects "TALENT", not "RATINGS". So, if you have a prospect with 5 star potential and set randomness to 1, it will keep him from becoming a prospect with 1 star potential. Like I said before, it will also keep potential from increasing, so you won't have a 15th rd draft pick who's potential goes from 1 star to 4 stars. The setting doesn't affect ratings progression. Ratings are decided by player development speed and how the player is managed. It is much more likely that a talent change will be negative rather then positive, so the higher the setting is the more talent changes you will have, the more talent changes you have, the more busts you will have. This is why most people lower this setting. It is much more "risky" to raise this setting then it is to lower it. Player ratings develop towards their potential (talent), so it's much more beneficial to keep the potential (talent) from changing.
For every player that develops towards his talent, there are a couple hundred who don't.

I've played with this setting a lot in historical leagues and lowering it to 50 or 25 does not come close to guaranteeing a player will live up to his potential.

Like I said, there are risks with both options.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
DrSatan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
For every player that develops towards his talent, there are a couple hundred who don't.

I've played with this setting a lot in historical leagues and lowering it to 50 or 25 does not come close to guaranteeing a player will live up to his potential.

Like I said, there are risks with both options.
Talent change randomness doesn't have anything to do with a player reaching his potential, all it does is mess with what the players potential is. If you manage your players right, and bump up the dev speed a little, you shouldn't have any problems with players reaching their potential. I'm in the 36th year of a historical sim and every single player I've had on my team has reached his potential. I have talent change randomness set to one, so my first round draft picks won't bust. By bust, I mean their potential goes from 4-5 stars to nothing for no reason. If you know how to promote through the minors, then the players should progress to their potential. So, like I said, the only risk is leaving talent change at a high number. There is no risk in lowering the number, unless you consider less busts a risk.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSatan View Post
Talent change randomness doesn't have anything to do with a player reaching his potential, all it does is mess with what the players potential is. If you manage your players right, and bump up the dev speed a little, you shouldn't have any problems with players reaching their potential. I'm in the 36th year of a historical sim and every single player I've had on my team has reached his potential. I have talent change randomness set to one, so my first round draft picks won't bust. By bust, I mean their potential goes from 4-5 stars to nothing for no reason. If you know how to promote through the minors, then the players should progress to their potential. So, like I said, the only risk is leaving talent change at a high number. There is no risk in lowering the number, unless you consider less busts a risk.

You've had every single player reach his potential. I guess if that's what you want in a league, then good for you. I've never had that happen, there are always busts, a lot more than there are success stories, much like real life.

Setting talent change randomness to 1 means it won't go down, it also means you won't get boosts either. So yes, there is risk both ways.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 05-10-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #12
DrSatan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
You've had every single player reach his potential. I guess if that's what you want in a league, then good for you. I've never had that happen, there are always busts, a lot more than there are success stories, much like real life.

Setting talent change randomness to 1 means it won't go down, it also means you won't get boosts either. So yes, there is risk both ways.
ed zachary, there won't be any boosts, but there's not that many boosts anyway. Sooooo like I said, there is no risk in lowering the number for talent change randomness. I would much rather have my prospects perform as advertised vs have them bust. When it comes to pitchers this is a major problem. There are too many instances when a pitching prospect reaches the majors, does a great job for one or two years, and then craps out.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

everyone has their own preference. ootp enables a lot of that, which is great.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

what would some of you recommend for this setting as a way of reflecting modern baseball? I realize the default is 100, but from what I am reading, many seem to think this is still a bit much, even for a fictional league.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

I play historicals, and I set Talent Change Randomness to 1 instead of 100 AND I also check the Disable Player Development box right underneath. These ar your best settings for playing with recalc mode and Retire According to History enabled. Player ratings get recalc'ed each season based on real life stats anyway. Disabling player development prevents player ratings from changing during the season, but on January 1st of each year player ratings will still get updated based on their real life stats.

If you are playing without recalc and w/o Retire Accoding to History then anything can happen and you will get alot of randomness no matter what you do.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #16
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
I play historicals, and I set Talent Change Randomness to 1 instead of 100 AND I also check the Disable Player Development box right underneath. These ar your best settings for playing with recalc mode and Retire According to History enabled. Player ratings get recalc'ed each season based on real life stats anyway. Disabling player development prevents player ratings from changing during the season, but on January 1st of each year player ratings will still get updated based on their real life stats.

If you are playing without recalc and w/o Retire Accoding to History then anything can happen and you will get alot of randomness no matter what you do.
You just answered something that has been bugging me this whole season,Eddie Collins just came into the league and even though in real life he barely had a cup of coffee,he has an 18 contact rating in the game I guess due to development.Now I'm in a bit of a quandry,should I just leave development on until the end of the season or turn it off now.I also play historical with 3 year recalc(current years stats doubled) and retire according to history
Old 12-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
plannine
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillieFever View Post
You just answered something that has been bugging me this whole season,Eddie Collins just came into the league and even though in real life he barely had a cup of coffee,he has an 18 contact rating in the game I guess due to development.Now I'm in a bit of a quandry,should I just leave development on until the end of the season or turn it off now.I also play historical with 3 year recalc(current years stats doubled) and retire according to history
If we are talking about the same Mr Collins, 2900 games is a cup of coffee?

I going to assume you mean Eddie Jr., son of Mr Eddie Collins.

Last edited by plannine; 12-31-2009 at 05:04 PM.
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #18
kehowey
Major Leagues

I play a fictional league in OOTP11 and have gradually moved down to a randomness of 50.
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote