Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
Vezna31
All Star Starter

1887 - Present Historical Replay

I've been wanting to do this for so long. I wanted to start in 1871, but it is too time consuming, so after a little bit of research, I decided to start in 1887. There were 16 teams with most of those teams having a base in 1901 to continue.

So far, I have progressed to 1896 and have seen some very interesting results. One of which is Cy Young, who even though recalc is done for historical accuracy, is nowhere close to his real life stats. After 9 seasons, he 105-102 and even got demoted to AA ball in one of the seasons.

I will sporadically post of the other well known players in the game. If there is anyone interested in a particular player, post up and I will look them up.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

Question for you....

Hey -
I bought OOTP to do just what you set out to do. Recreate an organization from the beginning of recorded baseball history.

When you started in 1887 did you change any of the team names or abbreviations? Can this be done without really screwing up the game as it advances seasons? I don't want teams to automatically relocate and I don't want players to be put on their historical teams either. I want a game with team names I create and players to go through an amateur entry draft. Feel free to IM/PM me because I am a newbie to OOTP and would love your take on how best to go about creating an organization to do this.

J
jeremy7227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

you can turn off automatic expansion
BaseballMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

couple more questions

Found that option shortly after posting this. What I haven't determined is what the easiest way to bring in players from 1871 - 1884. No offense to 1887 but doing it my way with all players from prior years makes 1884 seem like a good year to start because of the number of unique players from that 15 year period and the fact that there are 16 teams in the MLB then too. This will support 16 teams with AAA and AA well. Actually will support 20 teams well I think if I create just a few extra pitchers.

If I turn off auto expansion I can still expand? I think I saw the option to do this but haven't tested that.

Can I edit the master.csv debut dates and birth dates to force everyone 1871-1884 to 1884? I thought of moving their birthdates so that the age in their real debut year matches closely their adjusted 1884 debut. Can I do this through master.csv or must I go into the historical_database.odb?

Thanks.
jeremy7227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
silentrob
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy7227 View Post
If I turn off auto expansion I can still expand? I think I saw the option to do this but haven't tested that.
You can add new teams anytime. Just go to Edit League Structure under Game Setup, and you have the option to add and remove teams, import historical teams, and so on.
silentrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Vezna31
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy7227 View Post
Found that option shortly after posting this. What I haven't determined is what the easiest way to bring in players from 1871 - 1884. No offense to 1887 but doing it my way with all players from prior years makes 1884 seem like a good year to start because of the number of unique players from that 15 year period and the fact that there are 16 teams in the MLB then too. This will support 16 teams with AAA and AA well. Actually will support 20 teams well I think if I create just a few extra pitchers.

Can I edit the master.csv debut dates and birth dates to force everyone 1871-1884 to 1884? I thought of moving their birthdates so that the age in their real debut year matches closely their adjusted 1884 debut. Can I do this through master.csv or must I go into the historical_database.odb?

Thanks.
I chose 1887 because all of the teams had a 1901 corresponding team except the Louisville Grays. I didn't go back further, but if 1884 has the same thing, I would have started there. The only thing you have to do change the amount of games to be played and then in 1901, manually move Baltimore to New York and I changed Louisville to Milwaukee.

To edit players, you have to open the master.csv database (I think) and change the year that they entered the league and birth dates. I don't know how that affects their historical stats.

You can still add and delete teams manually as you go. Deleting teams puts all those teams players to free agency.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
Vezna31
All Star Starter

Cap Anson retired early in 1891 rather than 1897 IRL and was elected to the HoF. His final stats:

Years - 21
G - 1,767
AB - 7,279
H - 2,432
2B - 428
3B - 97
HR - 72
RBI - 1,375
R - 1,440
SB - 166
AVG - .334
OBP - .377
SLG - .449
OPS - .826
VORP - 129.0
Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Dont know why Cy Young has done poorly for you but in every league ive ran, him or Walter Johnson are usually the career leader in wins at close to 400. I dont expect 511 wins unless i were to use 1 man rotations.
BaseballMan is online now   Reply With Quote