Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
edhberg3
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Release date?

Any idea of the release date yet?
edhberg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:57 AM   #22
ukslamjam
Minors (Double A)

Could anyone recommend a template to use this on?
ukslamjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #23
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
We'll just release the one version of the DB. The readme file will have the details and player ids of the duplicate 2-way players, the integration players, and the Negro Leaguers. You can then go into the master file and change/delete their debut year field.
Garlon,

Exactly how much can we change those debut dates? If I wanted to condense all the 1871-1900 players to debut in 1901 with a historical league, could I do that?

JP
RANGER11JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #24
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

ranger11jp - if you wanted to do something lik that you'd not only have to change the debut dates in the master file, but you'd also have to change the year column in the batting/fielding/pitching stats of all of those players to correspond with the debut year. So if a guy played 1871-1874, you'd hav to change those years to 1901-1904 in all of his stats as well otherwise he won't import properly.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #25
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
ranger11jp - if you wanted to do something lik that you'd not only have to change the debut dates in the master file, but you'd also have to change the year column in the batting/fielding/pitching stats of all of those players to correspond with the debut year. So if a guy played 1871-1874, you'd hav to change those years to 1901-1904 in all of his stats as well otherwise he won't import properly.
Garlon,
Is that the second column in those files? They won't load completly in excel. How should I proceed?
JP
RANGER11JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #26
ukslamjam
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukslamjam View Post
Could anyone recommend a template to use this on?
Maybe I should have been clearer.

Has anyone tried this on ICY's fictional MLB template yet?
ukslamjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #27
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

edhberg3 - We don't have an ETA yet.

ukslamjam - Just use the DB to import a league in any season you want and then set up everything else however you want it.

ranger11jp - You'd have to split the file in half by opening it in notepad. Then edit the two halves in Excel separately, then recombine them again using notepad. It is probably more trouble than it is worth. If all goes well, I will try to release an 1871 Quickstart at some point.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod23 View Post
Yes, we will be making a random debut and chaos DB based on the new DB.

The old ones work fine with 2007 but they are missing a few files (I'll try to update the old zip files to include these until the new DB is ready):

For OOTP you need to have a few extra files included in the DB folder. Previous versons of OOTP did not need them so we excluded them.

You need:
allstar.csv
awardsplayers.csv
halloffame.csv
seriespost.csv

Grab these files from the Lahman DB and put them in the Arod23Garlon DB folder and everything wll work fine. OOTP needs those extra files this year to build the history.
I added these files to your CAREER AVERAGE DB and it seemed to work fine. SHOULD it or would I be getting messed up ratings due to it?

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #29
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

texasmame - those additional files are just for the game to build the history when you start a league. They don't affect any player ratings.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #30
Mr. Capo
Minors (Triple A)

I'm among those waiting for your next DB before starting my next league. Any substantive changes to expect?

I like the amount of thought you guys have given to the DB, and agree with most of the decisions. There are a couple that I wish were different, though:

• I'd like to have the cup-of-coffee players still in there. Weakened when necessary, (we don't want Moses Solomon, 3 for 8 lifetime, to be hitting .375 for 15 years) but I'd rather have these guys filling out rosters than fictional guys. Likewise, WWII players.

• I like having the Negro League players added, but in some cases question their ratings. I have Satchel on my team, and he is utterly invincible.

• Now that we have recalc, do we still need two Babes, two Smokey Joes, etc?
Mr. Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #31
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Mr. Capo -

- Even without the cup-of-coffee guys you should still have more than enough players to fill out reserve rosters. In simulations I have run after about 10 seasons I usually have about 15 guys on the reserve roster as it is.

- The Negro Leaguers are clones of MLB HOF'ers who played during the same time frame. Satchel Paige was a custom edit and he probably does need to be weakened...when we get a new version of th DB out I will adjust him.

- As for the two-way players, you could always delete the version of he player who you don't want.

Remember, most of the edits we made to the DB were designed when we were still playing OOTP6.5.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #32
Mr. Capo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

- Even without the cup-of-coffee guys you should still have more than enough players to fill out reserve rosters.
I guess it's just that I like them. My friends and I used to comb through the baseball encyclopedia looking for those guys.

Quote:
- The Negro Leaguers are clones of MLB HOF'ers who played during the same time frame. Satchel Paige was a custom edit and he probably does need to be weakened...when we get a new version of th DB out I will adjust him.
Yeah, he may be the only one who needs it. I've had a few of the other Negro Leaguers in my league, and they seemed about right.

Quote:
- As for the two-way players, you could always delete the version of he player who you don't want.
Easy enough, all right. Don't players carry both pitching and batting ratings? What are George Ruth's (the pitching Babe) batting ratings? What would happen if we played him as an outfielder? It would be cool if the game were able to allow us to develop him in whichever direction we wanted. How many people would opt to keep him on the mound?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #33
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

We did not give George Ruth, the pitcher, any hitting stats.

Regarding the WWII players, we decided to delete the replacement players of that time period because they cause some unwanted issues....like flooding the league with too much talent which can hinder the performance of more deserving players or even steal starting roles from the real major leaguers of that time period. We made several edits to correct the WWII time period: adjusted all stats 1942-1945 to pre- and post-WWII league averages, gave back missed military service season stats to major leaguers based on their pre- and post-WWII averages, and deleted replacement players who debuted during WWII but did not have significant playing time after 1945.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #34
Mr. Capo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
We did not give George Ruth, the pitcher, any hitting stats.
That was probably a wise move. People might start him every fourth day, and play him in the outfield the other three. Unrealistic.

Well, your DB is a window onto a nicer version of history. No segregation, no world war II, and two Babe Ruths.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #35
Ksyrup
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Capo View Post

• I'd like to have the cup-of-coffee players still in there. Weakened when necessary, (we don't want Moses Solomon, 3 for 8 lifetime, to be hitting .375 for 15 years) but I'd rather have these guys filling out rosters than fictional guys. Likewise, WWII players.
For me, the whole purpose of playing without recalc on is to see guys like this possibly turn into something. I guess it depends on how close to real MLB you want your sim to come out, but when I want a stricter replay, I use the 3-year recalc settings. When I want a greater chance of HoF flameouts and scrubs-turned-HoFers, I keep recalc off.

My favorite scrub-turned-HoFer was Greg Harts. Dude went 1/2 with the Mets in 1973 IRL and somehow turned into a 500 HR HoFer in one of my careers.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #36
mochuck
Minors (Triple A)

Any new word on when the release might be? I'm looking forward to this database and appreciate the work you guys are doing on this...
mochuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #37
myasu
All Star Starter

Looking forward to this one!

I am really looking forward to this database too.
This one (I mean the previous ones) seems to the most realistic and trusty to my own taste.

Thank you very much for your effort and the great works!

myasu

Bill Spaceman Lee- "The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the sixties I tested everything."
myasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #38
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

With the baseball season already approaching the all-star break, we may just wait until next year to update our DB.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
myasu
All Star Starter

Quote:
With the baseball season already approaching the all-star break, we may just wait until next year to update our DB.
That would be a shame......
Really!

Bill Spaceman Lee- "The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the sixties I tested everything."
myasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 AM   #40
dcundy
Minors (Single A)

Compressed history db

I am impatient maybe even more than the next guy. Is there a compressed history db to use with 2007?
dcundy is offline   Reply With Quote