Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:29 AM   #61
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Canes situation in goal continues to need band-aids.

Canes got a 6-3 win over lowly Anaheim to extend their point streak to 8. Six different Canes scored. And the PP is now 14 for their last 28.

But the win was marred @ the start of the 2nd period. Ducks only got off 13 shots. But 9 were in the 1st 11 min of the 2nd. That is when they gave up 3 goals, the last of which got Kochetkov hurt w/what might be a concussion.

This was the spot in the schedule the Canes were hoping to reach. Six games in 16 days all at home. Then after going to Boston, 5 more home games around the All Star break. Antti Raanta is not a G you can ride like a mule & he has had his struggles this year. Gotta hope Pytor isn't seriously hurt, Andersson can be back in net after the break, or AHL Yaniv Perets is able to give the team a positive outlook on the future.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:47 AM   #62
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Well, we're not scared of Freddie. (Anderson, not Krueger.) We put five past him in game #2.

Meanwhile, I turned on the TV, happened to land on a replay of Kings-Cats, and Nick Nickson helpfully reminded me that the Kings gave up the GWG with only 52 seconds left in the Washington game. Thanks, Nick!

That WAS game marked the season debut of AHL All-Star Brandt Clarke. The former #8 overall draft pick was the AHL rookie of the month for December and is leading ALL AHL defensemen in scoring. A bit of a surprise, as there were no real complaints about our RD on the big club, but there is the "when they're ready, they're ready" school of thought.

So up came Clarke. (Which cost us Tobias Björnfot on waivers, as he was nabbed by ****ing VGK. Why not cast loose of Jared Anderson-Dolan, instead?)

And in went Clarke, playing with Vladislav Gavrikov, because McLellan wasn't breaking up Mikey Anderson and Doughty for obvious reasons. And because you don't bring up Clarke to stick him on 3D with Physical Presence Andreas Englund.

So Matt Roy ended up drawing Englund duty. This must have depressed Roy as the Holland MI native and Michigan Tech product had just gotten his first goal of the season when his hometown Red Wings came to town, but 3D is better than the press box, where Jordan Spence ended up.

Alas, one day's skating was not enough to learn how to play with Physical Presence Englund. Against Washington, the Kings had the puck in the offensive zone, with Physical Presence taking position at the blue line.

However, the puck came free at the half-board and Kuznetsov got it unimpeded…
…and Physical Presence didn't realize that meant he needed to get back, stat…

…and Roy wasn't aware enough to scream "BACK!" instantly (because he doesn't need to do that with Gavrikov)…

…and Kuznetsov lobbed the puck over Physical Presence's presence for Nicholas Aube-Kubel to dart past Presence and chase down said puck at the LA blue line…

…and Roy hadn't been aware of this problem quickly enough to come over from the right and cover the open space (because you don't need to do that with Gavrikov)…

…and so Roy tried to make up the open space, not realizing (because you don't need to do that with Gavrikov) that it would be better to just stick with ex-King Nic Dowd and let Talbot deal head-up with Aube-Kubel (who is on the fourth line for A Reason, and that Reason is the same Reason he keeps getting traded)…

…and so Aube-Kubel (who is at least good enough to make the 4th line) squared the puck for an uncovered Nic Dowd (Trevor Moore was rushing to back-check, but not in time) and Talbot couldn't get back over in time and Dowd blasted it in and it was 1-0, Washington.

Not that this was fatal, as the Kings led 2-1 and 3-2 before failing (the unexpected 3-goal bonanza included 2 goals by Kevin Fiala and 2 PPG, both pleasant news), but still. I can see why McLellan reverted to Roy-Gavrikov and Spence-Physical Presence against TBL.

And they both contributed offensively, because Fiala was drawing Bolts like a magnet draws iron filings. On the Kings' first goal, he moved aggressively to the net-front, leaving the puck for Moore, who didn't see an angle and made a drop-pass to Spence, who went below the goal line and saw that Philip Danault was uncovered at the top of the crease (with the clot of Bolts hovering around Fiala) and Danault had a easy goal. On the second goal (less than 3.00 later), Fiala drew another crowd, fed a zap pass across to Roy who was jumping into the play, and Roy was in the slot before Vasilievsky knew what hit him, and that was Roy's 2nd goal in 3 games. So I understand going back to the status quo and letting Clarke digest what he learned.

What I don't understand is doing the same thing in Sunrise. Why is Clarke a healthy scratch two consecutive games? You don't bring up the AHL's hottest D to give him Björnfot's reserved seat in the press box, I wouldn't think. Because in that case, you could have kept Tobi and at least had Clarke playing regularly in Ontario.

Why not try Spence and Roy together, see if one of them can handle LD and save Physical Presence for when teams start to take liberties with you? Kurtis MacDermid was like a caged tiger when he was our 7th D and McLellan did well by only unleashing him when the situation called for it. Or why not keep Gavrikov and Roy together, and see if Clarke does better covering for Englund than Roy did? Or why not stick with the Washington line-up and hope Roy learns on the job? (You can limit 3D's minutes in some games, as Doughty will gladly put in 30.00 any time you let him.)

Or, hell, gamble and trade Roy, whom I really like but who is not the Super-Prospect that Clarke is. Maybe we need to cash him in now?

I don't know what the answer is. I just know that "Brandt Clarke grows roots in the press box" seems very unlikely to be it. JMO.

Last edited by Amazin69; 01-12-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:02 PM   #63
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Jaccob Slavin isn't just one of the good guys in the NHL. He's one of the good guys in all of sport.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-15-2024, 10:37 AM   #64
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

'Canes go for their 9th straight win over the Kings, as the Kings go for their 9th straight loss. A few Pity Points sprinkled in, but who cares? This whole "Kings of the Road" riff is long gone, as Saturday's implosion at Ilitch-ville means that the Kings have followed that 11-0-0 road start with a sad 2-4-3 since. 7 losses in 9 tries! No wonder Seattle is so close they can lick our necks.

Speaking of Pity Points, the Kings have such a lovely accumulation because we are the worst team in extra time in the entire league. Remember that game where we never let CBJ touch the puck in OT and scored 23 seconds in? Remember Grundstrom winning us that exciting 9-round shoot-out in Seattle?

Well, those are all that's worth remembering. 2-0-8 after 60 minutes. Turned 10 points into…12 points. And that's it. Worst in the League, as noted.

Tune this afternoon for more of the same. Sure, the Kings almost won in LA when I predicted an 8-0 stomping by Carolina, but that was game #2. I was overly emotional when I made that prediction.

This will probably be no worse than 5-1, Carolina. And then the Kings of the L can enjoy a nice relaxing flight to Dallas for tomorrow's debacle.

Oh, and apparently with Bedard out, the favorite for Rookie of the Year is…Brock Faber, the former 2nd round pick we threw in to help make the Fiala deal happen.

Last edited by Amazin69; 02-09-2024 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:24 AM   #65
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin69 View Post
'Canes go for their 9th straight win over the Kings, as the Kings go for their 9th straight loss. A few Pity Points sprinkled in, but who cares? This whole "Kings of the Road" riff is long gone, as Saturday's implosion at Ilitch-ville means that the Kings have followed that 11-0-0 road start with a sad 2-4-3 since. 7 losses in 9 tries! No wonder Seattle is so close they can lick our necks.

Speaking of Pity Points, the Kings have such a lovely accumulation because we are the worst team in extra time in the entire league. Remember that game where we never let CBJ touch the puck in OT and scored 23 seconds in? Remember Grundstrom winning us that exciting 9-round shoot-out in Seattle?

Well, those are all that's worth remembering. 2-0-8 after 60 minutes. Turned 10 points into…12 points. And that's it. Worst in the League, as noted.

Tune this afternoon for more of the same. Sure, the Kings almost won in LA when I predicted an 8-0 stomping by Carolina, but that was game #2. I was overly emotional when I made that prediction.

This will probably be no worse than 5-1, Carolina. And then the Kings of the L can enjoy a nice relaxing flight to Dallas for tomorrow's debacle.

Oh, and apparently with Bedard out, the favorite for Rookie of the Year is…Brock Faber, the former 2nd round pick we threw in to help make the Fiala deal happen.

Canes are honoring former Caniac & King Justin Williams today by enshrining him into the team's HOF. Wish I didn't have to work this afternoon so I could catch a rare weekday afternoon skate.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-15-2024, 01:09 PM   #66
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Canes are honoring former Caniac & King Justin Williams today by enshrining him into the team's HOF. Wish I didn't have to work this afternoon so I could catch a rare weekday afternoon skate.
On a Federal Holiday? Bummer.

(I would say it makes sense for the Kings to play on King's Day, even if Quinton Byfield is Afro-Canadian.

"I have a dream, eh?" Naaaah.)
Old 01-16-2024, 10:58 AM   #67
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Canes really gotta find a replacement for Raanta
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-16-2024, 01:53 PM   #68
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

I don't know there were any softies in there. The first one came when Raanta's mask was knocked loose (but not enough for a whistle) by Gavrikov's blast. The second one was because Pesce and Skjei over-reacted to Fiala's initial entry, leaving Martinook to chase Grundstrom all the way below the goal line. Naturally when the puck went back to Gavrikov at the blue line, Martinook headed back to his normal position, and so he didn't react quickly enough when Roy's (failed) tip of Gavrikov's shot (who would have thought the key to the offense was having Gav shoot more?) went wide of the goal and off the boards to an open Danault, who was able to chip it past Raanta's dive for the post. If there's a D-man on that side of the ice, Danault is covered.

I grant you on the third goal. Raanta seemed a bit slow to focus on LaFerriere, but that went off the post and in and I would put most of the blame on Kotkaniemi for the lousy clear attempt. But the goal that chased him happened when Orlov, for reasons only he would know (you ask him; my Russian is still a work in progress) moved way up the ice when Doughty was setting up behind the Kings net, so when Grundstrom got past Chatfield (quit yer whining, Tripp Tracy!) it was up to Jack Drury to chase him down, and after Raanta made the save, Jack made what Tripp called "a hope clear", but I think it was a panic clear, just flinging it high and trying to get it out. And so Mikey Anderson knocked it down and Jared Anderson-Dolan played a lovely diagonal pass to PLD and there wasn't anything Raanta could do about it. It seems the big issue is keeping the D where they're supposed to be, so you don't have to rely on Martinook to cover rebounds or Drury to make the clear.

On a different subject, what happened on the Canes first goal? Talk about the D getting mixed up! When Jarvis takes that stretch pass from Burns, you see Mikey (#44) and Gavrikov (#84) trying to close him down, but there's too much space and Jarvis slides it to Martinook for the goal.

Excuse me, but what are the Kings doing with two LD on the ice? Don't you change left for left and right for right? No wonder Gavrikov was out of position, he was headed to his side and only after the pass realized there was no RD covering Jarvis. Sheesh.

I mean Rittich was excellent. As Tripp Tracy said, he was always facing the puck, which was a big improvement from the first goal we gave up in Detroit, which Jim Fox said was the first bad goal Talbot had allowed in a while. (Mikey was a bit too slow bringing the puck towards the blue line and David Perron chased him down from behind and stole it; the puck went to the boards at the goal line and Larkin took a bad angle shot that went in because Talbot hadn't gotten into position quickly enough.)

But while Big Save Dave made lots of big saves, there's no reason to give the 'Canes a freebie.

So now, if we pull off the win in Dallas somehow tonight, the trip ends at 2-2-2. Which is still a bit lame, but enough to feel good heading home to face Quickie and NYR on Friday.

Last edited by Amazin69; 01-16-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:13 PM   #69
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin69 View Post
I don't know there were any softies in there. The first one came when Raanta's mask was knocked loose (but not enough for a whistle) by Gavrikov's blast. The second one was because Pesce and Skjei over-reacted to Fiala's initial entry, leaving Martinook to chase Grundstrom all the way below the goal line. Naturally when the puck went back to Gavrikov at the blue line, Martinook headed back to his normal position, and so he didn't react quickly enough when Roy's (failed) tip of Gavrikov's shot (who would have thought the key to the offense was having Gav shoot more?) went wide of the goal and off the boards to an open Danault, who was able to chip it past Raanta's dive for the post. If there's a D-man on that side of the ice, Danault is covered.

I grant you on the third goal. Raanta seemed a bit slow to focus on LaFerriere, but that went off the post and in and I would put most of the blame on Kotkaniemi for the lousy clear attempt. But the goal that chased him happened when Orlov, for reasons only he would know (you ask him; my Russian is still a work in progress) moved way up the ice when Doughty was setting up behind the Kings net, so when Grundstrom got past Chatfield (quit yer whining, Tripp Tracy!) it was up to Jack Drury to chase him down, and after Raanta made the save, Jack made what Tripp called "a hope clear", but I think it was a panic clear, just flinging it high and trying to get it out. And so Mikey Anderson knocked it down and Jared Anderson-Dolan played a lovely diagonal pass to PLD and there wasn't anything Raanta could do about it. It seems the big issue is keeping the D where they're supposed to be, so you don't have to rely on Martinook to cover rebounds or Drury to make the clear.
I didn't get to turn it on until the 4th LA goal. It's not that the goals should have been easy saves (saw highlights). Its the fact that 1) Raanta can't play 2 in a row, 2) he is easily injured, 3) you want a goalie who can make the hard ones easy, not watch them go into the net. Any G can stop the easy ones. Its the ones that can backup the other 5 on the ice when they let something slip that lift the cup. Raanta will always be a backup.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-24-2024, 03:33 PM   #70
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

5 NHL players on leave pending sexual assault charges.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-25-2024, 03:30 PM   #71
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know things are bad when you look at that link and find yourself hoping PLD is among them.

Update. Kings…

• played Dallas well for two periods, then utterly fell apart in the 3rd

• came home last Thursday and lost to Nashville in a game I know nothing about, as it was on ESPn-minus and my download site isn't covering the NHL right now. (I know it's NFL playoff time, but you have all week to catch up!)

• welcomed Jonathan Quick home with a lovely video tribute on Saturday (nobody does ceremonies like the Kings, not that this is the formal number-retirement/statue-unveiling Quickie will eventually get) and then gutted out a lovely 2-1 win, with lots of fine work from Rittich

• flopped badly enough to somehow lose to San Jose on Monday, where we battled back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits to (of course) lose in the shootout. 2-0-9 in extra-time now, still worst in the League.

(Easiest shoot-out loss ever. Kings miss, Sharks score, Kings miss, Sharks score and win. Could have stayed on the bench.)

• had a wonderful ceremony last night for all of Kopitar's achievements this season (now leads all Kings ever in games played and assists, now 2nd in points, reached 400 career goals) with a cute "multiplex" theme and "movie posters" to cover how this could have been four separate ceremonies.

Then we raced out to an early 3-1 lead against Buffalo, who were starting their towel boy in the nets. During the first intermission, Jim Fox warned the Kings to not be too confident, as Towel Boy had let in a couple of softies.

Did the Kings listen? Of course not! Assuming the scoresheet was there for the taking, the Kings traveled back to the 1980s and eschewed defense, giving away so many pucks in their own end that the Sabre-cast was calling them out on it, and Talbot let in four in a row as the Kings lost 5-3, now 2-7-5 in their past 14.

We are now barely hanging on to a wild-card spot, and will likely miss the playoffs unless the new coach (Vigneault? Gallant? The Daryl Sutter Reunion Tour?) can turn things around.

Yes, McLellan isn't technically fired yet, but when the questions at the presser are basically "you're getting fired, right?" and Todd isn't blowing his stack at them, you know it's coming. Presumably we will limp through the upcoming road trip (at Avs, Blues, and Preds) before the axe falls during the All-Star break.

Drew Doughty was saying that "guys", plural, were only thinking of themselves, so not just PLD. (Fiala, too, Drew?) Still love to have that trade back, if only so that still having Sean Durzi or Sean Walker (both sacrificed for cap space) would give us a chance to sit Physical Presence Andreas Englund and not have to throw Brandt Clarke into this dumpster fire so quickly. Our King-dom for a Sean!

More details about McLellan's inability to impose a new scheme (for the NYR game, they put Byfield as the 3rd-line center [thinking he's grown enough to take charge of a line] and PLD up with Kopi and Kempe [thinking they can elevate his game] and when Todd undid that to try and catch the Sharks next game, Jim Fox cheerfully noted "and Todd McLellan's new line scheme lasts exactly five periods") to come, but this post is long enough.

Holy ****ing crap. Makes me long for the 2022 Mets.

(6th-worst choke in MLB history, if you've forgotten.)

Last edited by Amazin69; 01-27-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:37 PM   #72
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

How many other teams do the mom & dad trips in the league?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-26-2024, 07:50 AM   #73
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure all of them do it. Been a tradition for a number of years now.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:10 AM   #74
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I'm pretty sure all of them do it. Been a tradition for a number of years now.
Why don't they advertise it more? I think it is a great tradition. The only time I see it mentioned is locally when I see the Canes do it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-26-2024, 09:41 AM   #75
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Not sure, it started with a couple teams doing it and grew. I guess it's not something they make a big deal of, just do it for the players and their parents. Sort of an internal thing.

It is really nice for the team to do though.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 01-26-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:38 AM   #76
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure, it started with a couple teams doing it and grew. I guess it's not something they make a big deal of, just do it for the players and their parents. Sort of an internal thing.

It is really nice for the team to do though.
I know. You look at the smiles on the players & the moms & you can tell it is the highlight of their year. Plus, the camaraderie among the mothers when they get together. It put a big smile on my face.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-27-2024, 12:53 AM   #77
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Can you explain what this means?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 05:37 AM   #78
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Can you explain what this means?
Teams generally pick one of their road trips during the season and bring along players Dad's and/or Mom's. Team covers the costs.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:10 AM   #79
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Teams generally pick one of their road trips during the season and bring along players Dad's and/or Mom's. Team covers the costs.
Oh, that is very neat!

I did not know that.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:11 AM   #80
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Oh, that is very neat!

I did not know that.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince