Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 10 > FHM Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM Mods This is the place to check for mods for both FHM10 and previous versions.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:30 AM   #1
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Post [Topps/O-Pee-Chee] Hockey Cards 1970s

Thread for posting hockey cards of the 1970s.

I'll start with a Topps card from 1970-71, but of course anyone could post any 1970s cards here. This is just to keep it a bit organized, which unfortunately isn't always the case in the mod section

The cards I'm going to post will be "modern" cards per default, but of course you can rename and/or change the "info.txt" file to use the cards in any era you want.

sk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:33 AM   #2
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Post 1970-71 Topps/O-Pee-Chee

I kept this card at its' original aspect ratio, so it might appear a little bit smaller (height) than the defaults. But I don't think it's really noticable in-game. If I hadn't done it this way I would've had to cut the original, which was the worse option to me.

Initially I wanted to put the name of the player in one line (replacing the team name of the original), but as of today it's not really possible to properly place the player's name into one line .
So I had to put name and surname on separate lines.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1970-71 Topps.zip (398.2 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by sk78; 02-05-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
wiggleman83
All Star Reserve

I'm looking for a vintage card to use in my custom save, I'm sure I'll find a winner on this thread! How do I go about adding it to my game?
wiggleman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #4
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggleman83 View Post
... How do I go about adding it to my game?
Depends on the era you're playing. Just did a test with a save in 1975.

There are probably different ways to do it, but this is what I did (probably the shortest way): the 1975 game uses the cards from the "50s" folder (on Windows, FastSpring version >> C:\Users\user\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 8\saved_games\savename.lg\graphics\cards\50s

This card will be used from years 1950 to 1979. All I did was removing the files from that folder and put the files from that 1970-71 card in. Then I changed the very last part in the "info.txt" file where it says

YEARS:
start: 2020
end: 9999

to start 1950 and end 1979

Saved that and it works (attached).
There would probably be "cleaner" ways to do it, with renaming the files and then adjusting the info file the same way. But that's certainly more effort.

If you're playing in a different era you can adapt that method for use in that era.

Quote:
I'm looking for a vintage card to use in my custom save, ...
Tell me what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.
Attached Images
Old 02-05-2022, 03:01 PM   #5
jumpSeat
All Star Reserve

Love the clean vintage look. There's a lot to be said for the power of minimalism. Nice work!
jumpSeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:07 AM   #6
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you. Yes, I also think the simplicity has something special to it. Focussing on the essentials.

I still would've loved to put the full name of the player onto one big line on the bottom...
This thing starts to be frustrating and I don't know how to handle it. Except one, all Topps/O-Pee-Chee cards of the 70s have the full name of the player sitting on one line. I just don't know if it makes any sense beginning to work on those cards. I'm not really enjoying the idea of having to do every card two or three times...

So far I'm not getting any response by the FHM folks...
Certainly doesn't help.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #7
wiggleman83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk78 View Post
Depends on the era you're playing. Just did a test with a save in 1975.

There are probably different ways to do it, but this is what I did (probably the shortest way): the 1975 game uses the cards from the "50s" folder (on Windows, FastSpring version >> C:\Users\user\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 8\saved_games\savename.lg\graphics\cards\50s

This card will be used from years 1950 to 1979. All I did was removing the files from that folder and put the files from that 1970-71 card in. Then I changed the very last part in the "info.txt" file where it says

YEARS:

to start 1950 and end 1979

Saved that and it works (attached).
There would probably be "cleaner" ways to do it, with renaming the files and then adjusting the info file the same way. But that's certainly more effort.

If you're playing in a different era you can adapt that method for use in that era.

Tell me what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks, I'm not looking for anything specific, just window shopping
Old 02-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #8
Rayzor
All Star Starter

I'm just get black background

Name:  topps.png
Views: 527
Size:  47.1 KB
Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #9
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
I'm just get black background
Huuh, now that's strange lol.
Looks like none the picture files being used, it's all transparent.
Sometimes I got the feeling they created FHM only for the purpose of pestering people...

A little bit of information would be useful.
Is it a historical or a custom game you're in? What year? Would like to see how it looks on my end. Like I posted before I had no problems to use the card as a "50s" card (1950 to 1979), which is exactly the era Richard played in.

Did you rename any files? Have you tested if it's looking as it should in a modern game? Steam or no-Steam (not sure if it matters, but while I'm on it)?
Old 02-07-2022, 06:01 AM   #10
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Thanks, I'm not looking for anything specific, just window shopping
Ok but if you somewhere accidently stumble upon a card you'd like to see in-game, feel free to ask for it.
Can't promise though if every card can be utilized for FHM.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:00 PM   #11
wiggleman83
All Star Reserve

Is there a format or link or something to what I actually need to put into my game to utilize these cards or am I not understanding how that works?
Old 02-07-2022, 09:34 PM   #12
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Quote:
Huuh, now that's strange lol.
Looks like none the picture files being used, it's all transparent.
Sometimes I got the feeling they created FHM only for the purpose of pestering people...

A little bit of information would be useful.
Is it a historical or a custom game you're in? What year? Would like to see how it looks on my end. Like I posted before I had no problems to use the card as a "50s" card (1950 to 1979), which is exactly the era Richard played in.

Did you rename any files? Have you tested if it's looking as it should in a modern game? Steam or no-Steam (not sure if it matters, but while I'm on it)?
Custom & Random, yes rename the files to 50s_ and put them in the 50s folder of my save, Steam,. From the download file, background is light brown, background lights is white, team color is black, card top is white, is this correct?

Update:
It works in my modern save
Name:  Topps download.png
Views: 350
Size:  46.8 KB

Last edited by Rayzor; 02-07-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:39 AM   #13
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
..., yes rename the files to 50s_ ...
Aah, think I can see what the issue is, hopefully.

You said you renamed the files. Since you're having trouble, I'm assuming you didn't adjust the "info.txt" file the same way, or did you? This would be an obvious reason why it's not working.
If you're renaming the .png files (sidenote: never rename the info.txt file) you need to adjust the info file to that.

So if you renamed the "modern_card_top" file to "50s_card_top" you have to do the same within the "info.txt" file. Otherwise the game doesn't know what file to use.
Open the info file and for that particular card it starts like this:

ORDER:
1: modern_card_top
2: facegen
3: modern_card_backgroundlights
4: modern_card_teamcolor
5: modern_card_background

NAME: all caps

Under ORDER: rename the text the same way you renamed the .png files.
So in this case that would be

ORDER:
1: 50s_card_top
3: 50s_card_backgroundlights
4: 50s_card_teamcolor
5: 50s_card_background

Save that and it should work then.

I hope that's indeed the reason for your issue, because that's not really a problem.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:41 AM   #14
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Is there a format or link or something to what I actually need to put into my game to utilize these cards or am I not understanding how that works?
Most important thing to start with is to know what card is used for the year you're playing in.

Here's an overview of which card the game shows in which years (took that from the respective info.txt files):

10s folder
YEARS:
start: 1900
end: 1929

30s folder
YEARS:
start: 1930
end: 1949

50s folder
YEARS:
start: 1950
end: 1979

80ies folder
YEARS:
start: 1980
end: 1989

90s folder
YEARS:
start: 1990
end: 2019

modern folder
YEARS:

So let's say you're playing a game in 1947. That game would use the card from the 30s folder (1930 to 1949). On Windows, FastSpring version >> C:\Users\user\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 8\saved_games\savename.lg\graphics\cards\30s
If you want to use a custom card instead of the default, you need to delete the default files inside the 30s folder. Then put the files of the custom card into that 30s folder.

Only other thing you strictly have to do is to adapt the "info.txt" file. Where it says YEARS: start: 2020 end: 9999 you need to change it to start: 1930 end: 1949.

Of course you could also rename the files to keep it more organized, but that requires a few steps more (explained in a post before).

Lastly, be aware that you have to restart FHM, or at least reload the save to see any changes.

Last edited by sk78; 02-08-2022 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #15
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Quote:
Aah, think I can see what the issue is, hopefully.

You said you renamed the files. Since you're having trouble, I'm assuming you didn't adjust the "info.txt" file the same way, or did you? This would be an obvious reason why it's not working.
If you're renaming the .png files (sidenote: never rename the info.txt file) you need to adjust the info file to that.

So if you renamed the "modern_card_top" file to "50s_card_top" you have to do the same within the "info.txt" file. Otherwise the game doesn't know what file to use.
Open the info file and for that particular card it starts like this:

ORDER:
1: modern_card_top
3: modern_card_backgroundlights
4: modern_card_teamcolor
5: modern_card_background

NAME: all caps

Under ORDER: rename the text the same way you renamed the .png files.
So in this case that would be

ORDER:
1: 50s_card_top
3: 50s_card_backgroundlights
4: 50s_card_teamcolor
5: 50s_card_background

Save that and it should work then.

I hope that's indeed the reason for your issue, because that's not really a problem.
Yep, that would be the issue, I rename everything else but forgot the text file..d'oh
Old 02-08-2022, 12:15 PM   #16
wiggleman83
All Star Reserve

I copied all of the card elements, including the text file, from the 80s folder in my save to the modern folder just to test things out. I renamed everything accordingly but now, no cards show up at all. I put back all of the elements that were originally there but that still didn't fix it. Nothing is showing up at all when I got to play or sim games.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by wiggleman83; 02-08-2022 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 02-09-2022, 06:15 AM   #17
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I copied all of the card elements, ...
First thing:
don't worry if things seem to be messed up. You got several original, untouched versions of the "cards" folder on your computer, so you can always revert back to the default standards.
One location would be the "quickstart_games" folder. I'm not too familiar with Macs, but on Windows that folder is right above the "saved_games" folder (screenshot attached). Then quickstart_games > OpeningDay.quick > graphics > cards
You could also create a backup folder somewhere on your computer and copy & paste the original cards folder into that backup folder. That way you'd definitely have originals at hand any time.

Just did the same test you did, using the games' 80ies card in a modern game. No problems with that.
Since absolutely nothing shows up for you I'd think there must be something wrong with the "info" file. Maybe you forgot to change the "YEARS" or so. I'm attaching the version that's working for me in a .zip file. So you can have a look if there are any differences to yours.

Only thing that's a bit weird to me is that you couldn't go back to the defaults. Maybe something just got mixed up on the road. But like I said, in that case you could just entirely delete the "cards" folder you think is messed up and copy & paste an original version in. After restarting the game everything has to be back at normal.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: zip modern (80ies to modern).zip (227.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-09-2022, 10:47 AM   #18
wiggleman83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Since absolutely nothing shows up for you I'd think there must be something wrong with the "info" file. Maybe you forgot to change the "YEARS" or so.
That's exactly what I did, thank you. Did you post the card top and background for the one that you made at the beginning of this thread?
Old 02-09-2022, 02:57 PM   #19
sk78
Minors (Triple A)

Not sure if I'm understanding the question
If you're taking a close look to very bottom of the post you can see there's a .zip file attached. All files needed are in there.
Attached Images
Old 02-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #20
wiggleman83
All Star Reserve

Ah, of course, I missed that lol