Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
nwohio_cubsfan
Bat Boy

What type of season are you doing first?

Seeing that I have not played this game since OOTP version 6, I'm really looking forward to starting a test season - either with the Pittsburgh Pirates or Washington Nationals - and just really learn all the ins-and-outs of the game, all the new features I have yet to been able to experience and try my luck of managing and hopefully building up one of Major League Baseball's worst teams. ... I'm also looking forward to the chance of starting a historical league from around 1900 or pre-1900 with my favorite team the Cubs and build a history with them. Also looking forward to getting involved with some online leagues.

Throwing that question out to the board, what type of game will you create?
nwohio_cubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
wspahn21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwohio_cubsfan View Post
Seeing that I have not played this game since OOTP version 6, I'm really looking forward to starting a test season - either with the Pittsburgh Pirates or Washington Nationals - and just really learn all the ins-and-outs of the game, all the new features I have yet to been able to experience and try my luck of managing and hopefully building up one of Major League Baseball's worst teams. ... I'm also looking forward to the chance of starting a historical league from around 1900 or pre-1900 with my favorite team the Cubs and build a history with them. Also looking forward to getting involved with some online leagues.

Defiantely a late 19th century fictional league! I want to put the new features to the test and see if teams change cities and so forth randomly.

I moved away from fictional leagues the last few versions and now can't wait to get back into them.
wspahn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
phantompenguin
Minors (Single A)

Go with the Pirates!

I've got a straight-up fictional league planned out with all the bells and whistles tuned and waiting for the game itself.

I'll have to try a historical fictional league at some point, I've never tried one, but all the new features are making it look appealing.

For now I like to run my leagues as a World Hockey Association or American Football League-type operation with teams mostly outside of MLB markets.
phantompenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Xavier12
Minors (Single A)

I'm debating between starting with a historical league or a modern day fictional league.
Xavier12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
nwohio_cubsfan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin View Post
Go with the Pirates!

I've got a straight-up fictional league planned out with all the bells and whistles tuned and waiting for the game itself.

I'll have to try a historical fictional league at some point, I've never tried one, but all the new features are making it look appealing.

For now I like to run my leagues as a World Hockey Association or American Football League-type operation with teams mostly outside of MLB markets.
Both teams are appealing. Of course, the Nationals, for Strasburg, and to see how his career pans out and if you can keep him around long enough, and then they seem to have a good core of infielders/veterans this season and a bunch of young pitchers. Seems like a good challenge as far as making trades, building up the farm system and a team around their group of young arms and other position players.

As for the Pirates, seeing them trade and trade again for young players and stockpiling their farm system - with not the greatest talent. ... I just want to have the challenge of managing a young team and steer them in the right direction over a long time (Pedro Alvarez, Tony Sanchez, etc)
nwohio_cubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Siv
Major Leagues

I will be starting my 1983 OOTP historical replay. I have done this every year since OOTP 3. When I have done this my wish always comes true (another OOTP version will come out the next year)!
Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
jtb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwohio_cubsfan View Post

I'm glad this thread was started---I think I have started similar threads for previous versions to get some ideas out there.

I have tried just about all the standard league options, and enjoyed them all. I think this time I will go with a historical/fictional universe with both historical & fictional players. I want to do something sort of based upon the novel "The Southpaw" and may even create the NY Mammoth team.
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Wink

I'll be transferring the fictional Oriental league I started in version 2006 into its sixth incarnation. Someday I might even play it….
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
JungleJim99
Minors (Single A)

I have been reading SABR's Deadball Stars books for the past month (finished the NL and just started Chicago in the AL book) and so I have to start a 1901 Historical League (I tend to play Historical leagues anyway....).

Go Highlanders !!!!!
JungleJim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

either convert my league i have been playing since ootp4 or start a new historical league in 1901.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I'll fire up the default MLB league to play around with and at some point will run a fast sim from 1873 until now. Probably won't start a league that sticks for the first few weeks after release.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Kemp
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
I will be starting my 1983 OOTP historical replay. I have done this every year since OOTP 3. When I have done this my wish always comes true (another OOTP version will come out the next year)!
Pretty funny, 1983 has always been my favorite season. When I was a kid, I got an APBA game for Christmas with the current season cards (1983). Since then, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for that season!
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
JungleJim99
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
Pretty funny, 1983 has always been my favorite season. When I was a kid, I got an APBA game for Christmas with the current season cards (1983). Since then, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for that season!
My first APBA season was 1978 so I understand your love of 1983 (Ron Guidry and Bucky Dent were my heroes for a long time!)
Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
cdheer
All Star Reserve

I always start with a current-MLB running the Cubs. Partially because I'm an obsessed Cub fan and partially because it's an easy way for me to get familiar with the new version.

Normally I then move on to a fictional league of some type, but I think I may finally want to play with historical leagues, given all the new nifty features.
Originally Posted by Dave Barry
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
cdheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
allstar4
Bat Boy

My first two careers are always the same. First I'll start with the present day Braves. Then later on I'll start one with the 1991 Braves and recreate the streak of division titles (while winning the World Series a few more times than IRL of course).
allstar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #16
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJim99 View Post
My first APBA season was 1978 so I understand your love of 1983 (Ron Guidry and Bucky Dent were my heroes for a long time!)
My first APBA season was '78 as well, boy what memories of a young Trammel and Whitaker. I'll either play that season, or an '84 Tigers "Bless you Boys" replay.
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #17
estone2
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

I want to do the same thing. Being a very newbie I'll have lot's of questions.

Ed
estone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Having played OOTP on and off since version 3 (lol), v11 caught my attention with its dynamically changing fictional league structure option. I'm happy to have read that small markets and weak budgets will drive this event, but curious as to whether it will happen in a way that's believable.

Up till the the 50s in real life, expansion really wasn't necessary. Once the PCL started looking like it might become the 3rd major league as a result of a population explosion on the west coast, the MLB owners folded and broke the momentum by sending the Giants and Dodgers west in 1958.

I can live with the "back story" not being there if v11's formula shows a similar action in the same time period, but I'm going to have trouble passing a reality check if one of the original 16 MLB teams send a team to Los Angeles in the 20s...

I will start a fictional league (using 1901 AL/NL teams) and turn on this option - then follow it to see what the formula actually does. My guess is it will need some tweaking if realism is what we're trying to find.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #19
Hotwheelz
All Star Starter

I am not sure which league I will spend most of my time on. I have the ABA that I have been playing for quite awhile but I am not sure I want to take the feeder leagues into the new version. I also simmed a league from 1910, using real players, to 2010 solely for OOTP11.
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #20
wspahn21
Major Leagues

I have a dream of doing a fictional dynasty that starts before the turn of the 19th century in Georgia with 4 teams and slowly grows to be a southern competitor of the AL and NL eventually merging with the NL to form MLB as the SL and NL!!! The AL will become either a minor league or go the way of the Fed.

I am excited just thinking about it!
wspahn21 is offline   Reply With Quote