Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
redbird2
Bat Boy

Question about a media revenue issue.

Ok this may have been asked and answered else where in this forum, or it might not. I have been playing OOTP for over a year but in my league for about 4 and 1/3rd seasons after taking over an idle team.

My issue is this:

When I started in OOTP16 I have a fictional team that's based out of Indianapolis. I realize this is probably a small market team but since I have taken over (last 3rd of the 2020 season), I have made the playoffs each year (5 in a row). I went to 3 of the last 4 championship series, and won once in the last 4 seasons we just played.

My media revenue has gone down and I am always 3rd from dead last in media revenue out of 24 teams since I took over. Now when we switched to OOTP17, our league agreed to up the national media revenue contract. It gave everyone a 20 million dollar boost. But this past season as I made the Championship Series again (lost) and it's going to go down for the upcoming season (2025).

Is this normal for a team of this size and with this type of performance? I have no clue but when I mention it in my league slack I get the feeling some think I'm just talking out of my ass. In my opinion this seems unrealistic to me that a team with this performance would drop in media revenue but I'm open to suggestions as to what is causing it.
redbird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
slugger922cubs
Major Leagues

Note that actual locations are mostly aesthetic and don't actually correlate to your market size. The market size is a number on your teams financial settings. In your league you may or may not have set this up in accordance to the actual sizes of real life markets.
If youre market size is say 3 and everyone else is 7 or 8 its possible that you could be winning and your media revenue is declining or staying still.
I believe your team media contract is also dictated by your fan interest which is some what driven by the popularity of players. If you have to keep trading away popular players this may also lower media revenue.
slugger922cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:50 AM   #3
redbird2
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger922cubs View Post
Note that actual locations are mostly aesthetic and don't actually correlate to your market size. The market size is a number on your teams financial settings. In your league you may or may not have set this up in accordance to the actual sizes of real life markets.
If youre market size is say 3 and everyone else is 7 or 8 its possible that you could be winning and your media revenue is declining or staying still.
I believe your team media contract is also dictated by your fan interest which is some what driven by the popularity of players. If you have to keep trading away popular players this may also lower media revenue.
What if you have kept fan interest during those years at 96-99 during those years? Would that still cause media revenue to drop? I'd have no problem with my revenue if it had even stayed still but other than the past season when everyone got the boost, mine has dropped every year. Just seems flawed some when winning.

To give a better example in one year the 3rd worst team that hasn't made the playoffs I think ever, and hasn't since I played, was ahead of me. Now larger markets I know will get the boost, I'm not asking for that but it probably is the settings then.

I do want to thank you for your reply. That's a better response than I have got in my league so far.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

1) I have read about this problem here on the boards recently. I would search for threads about financials.
2) How is your fan loyalty?
3) This is an area of the game I would like to make a little more sense.
4) What is your market size? Just wondering.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Hey Allan, don't think anyone in the league is ignoring you or thinks you're "talking out of your ass". We simply don't know why this is happening. We run the league, we didn't develop the game and we certainly don't have all the answers. I'll do a little more digging and see if I can come up with an explanation for you. We can continue this conversation in our Slack room or on our forums.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

I've had the same problems with media revenue despite success of the team. I "cheated" and used commish mode to "fix" the revenue.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

local media revenue will not rise beyond a specific point for any market size.

A market size can have a small range of local media contracts.. typicalyl if you are doing well it will be at the top of that scale. if you are doing well but fan interest is dropping... well you may not see what you expect with next year's media revenue...

market sizes can change... That would be a reason why the range of income would shift one way or another in a greater amount.

outside of that, how you do will not effect the media revenue in a season... you know how much you will make immediately at the beginning of that year. it's just a contract signed day one and for however many years.

how much media revenus shifts is larger for a larger medi revenue... so if oyu are a small market it shouldn't have more t han a 5-10M range per smaller market size (<5-6). otherwise a market size has occured.

Again, you can test all of this in a side league with the same settings... make sure contract lenghts are 1 year. each time you set interest/loyalty/market size and w/e else is related, then go to Front OFfice -> Accounting and you can see the future media contract's value.

everythign has a cause in this area... no magic, guaranteed.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

What is the cause for market sizes to increase?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #9
redbird2
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
1) I have read about this problem here on the boards recently. I would search for threads about financials.
2) How is your fan loyalty?
3) This is an area of the game I would like to make a little more sense.
4) What is your market size? Just wondering.
It's been pretty good. 96-99 during those years and right now in the off season of 2024-2025 95. I have good fan loyalty, and my market is considered small on the financial tabs.

I have been told that the media market can go up an down but the only boost I got was when the national media contract went up. I have tried to ask about this before in my league, but get told that there are no bugs and the game is fine. I believe it was asked in our league forums before and it didn't really get answered so I took it upon myself to ask a larger group, here, to see if someone could make sense of why it goes down. The 3 market setting does explain why it's low which is fine, but does that always mean it never goes up, I can only hope some years it just doesn't drop?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 AM   #10
redbird2
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
local media revenue will not rise beyond a specific point for any market size.

A market size can have a small range of local media contracts.. typicalyl if you are doing well it will be at the top of that scale. if you are doing well but fan interest is dropping... well you may not see what you expect with next year's media revenue...

market sizes can change... That would be a reason why the range of income would shift one way or another in a greater amount.

outside of that, how you do will not effect the media revenue in a season... you know how much you will make immediately at the beginning of that year. it's just a contract signed day one and for however many years.

how much media revenus shifts is larger for a larger medi revenue... so if oyu are a small market it shouldn't have more t han a 5-10M range per smaller market size (<5-6). otherwise a market size has occured.

Again, you can test all of this in a side league with the same settings... make sure contract lenghts are 1 year. each time you set interest/loyalty/market size and w/e else is related, then go to Front OFfice -> Accounting and you can see the future media contract's value.

everythign has a cause in this area... no magic, guaranteed.
Thank you. That's a lot more than I have got so far. I believe it was asked in our forums how market revenue could increase (not counting the huge boost from the last media revenue market)? And believe me, I know I shouldn't be with LA, Chicago, Boston, but I'd like to think my market would have grown some in that time, or does it take longer?