Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

League randomization

I understand that teams that get promoted are somewhat "linked" to create rivalries, but sometimes it can become a little annoying.
Two of my teams have been in the same league for 3 years in a row now (and once even in the same division) and while they both have always made the playoffs they have also been unlucky enough to start in year 1 against some monster teams that I see year after year. To add insult to injury, in the gold level we have been placed in the league of death (Gold 301) where we will hopefully avoid promotion and get rid of them as I really don't look forward to play every year against the same teams, even because this is not an evolving MLB but a static league where players will be the same for centuries.

My third team, on the contrary has been placed in far less competitive leagues every year and, being promoted with the same teams, is still one of the best even in gold (gold 270).

Just for context, in gold 301 there are 66 perfect players while in gold 270 there are 11.
moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
BoofBonser26
Major Leagues

I mean, the spirit is that everyone should only have 1 team, what with the "3 per license" having been intended for families. I get that tons of people have multiple teams and are having fun that way, but I wouldn't want to see decisions made on that behalf - I like that I generally am facing the same teams, and will like it even more when the friends feature works.
BoofBonser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it is a matter of folks having 3 teams. Markus explained it in another post. They are trying to generate rivalries but keeping some of the teams together in leagues.

I like it. I had the best team in the bronze league last year and lost 3-0 to a WC team that got moved to my silver league along with me. I hope to get revenge this year in the playoffs.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Ultimately, while I like the current set-up, I think it will be more fruitful to have this discussion after the "Friends" function starts working, since right now there's no way to stay WITH someone if you want to, nevermind staying AWAY from someone.

I had a great experience in Silver league where me, chazzycat, and ThatComona made up 3/4 of the conference championships, and I would have been monumentally disappointed if I'd been shuffled away from them for Gold. So I say A) let the devs get that whole shebang set up properly, and B) let the P/R system settle down so that 16 teams aren't constantly being promoted, and THEN if there's still issues I'd be all for brainstorming a fix.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
traylor45
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalkha View Post
I understand that teams that get promoted are somewhat "linked" to create rivalries, but sometimes it can become a little annoying.
Two of my teams have been in the same league for 3 years in a row now (and once even in the same division) and while they both have always made the playoffs they have also been unlucky enough to start in year 1 against some monster teams that I see year after year. To add insult to injury, in the gold level we have been placed in the league of death (Gold 301) where we will hopefully avoid promotion and get rid of them as I really don't look forward to play every year against the same teams, even because this is not an evolving MLB but a static league where players will be the same for centuries.

My third team, on the contrary has been placed in far less competitive leagues every year and, being promoted with the same teams, is still one of the best even in gold (gold 270).

Just for context, in gold 301 there are 66 perfect players while in gold 270 there are 11.
I mean, in your situation there's a fairly easy fix, especially if you wound up in the same division. Just have one team tank every time they play eachother.

That should easily put one in the playoffs and the other near the bottom....hope for a promotion and relegation, and you probably won't be together again for awhile.

Sure this goes against the spirit of the game, but I think putting two teams owned by the same person in the same league does as well. They've implemented the ability to not purchase from the AH from each other, I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to keep teams like that separated as well.

Same reason I really don't like playing fantasy with people that are related. Even if there isn't outright collusion, the familial dynamic can too easily pressure one of the teams into making sub optimal choices to help the other team.
traylor45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:18 AM   #6
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylor45 View Post
They've implemented the ability to not purchase from the AH from each other, I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to keep teams like that separated as well.
The opposite will happen. The plan is that a special effort will made to place multiple teams that are operated by the same account in the same league. Not keep them separated.

I've never liked that idea. IMO it creates an avenue for cheating, and like you were hinting at, even if there is no cheating it still can very easily look bad.

But this debate was had already, and the plan to merge such teams is still on. Hopefully situations like that are going to be monitored closely.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:13 AM   #7
Mormo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalkha View Post
in the gold level we have been placed in the league of death (Gold 301)

I'm currently in Gold 301 getting destroyed and you just made me very proud to be there
Mormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 AM   #8
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoofBonser26 View Post
I get that tons of people have multiple teams.
Actually the % of users having 2 or 3 teams is about 5%
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
The opposite will happen. The plan is that a special effort will made to place multiple teams that are operated by the same account in the same league. Not keep them separated.
Where did they say this?

As far as I know, the only plan to group teams together is by using the Friends function - which certainly could be exploited by someone operating two teams. But calling someone exploiting a feature a "special effort" on the part of the developers seems a bit of an exaggeration. Unless they specifically said they were going to group an account's teams together and I missed it (I would be 100% against that idea, for the record).
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote