Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

PT is frustrating!

Thought I'd have a decent team this season, good enough to hover around .500 ball.

It has been, quite simply, an ABSURDLY DISMAL season!

I cannot fathom how my team is so noncompetitive this time around (aside form the fact that the division leader has an insane lead). I thought that I had a solid team (not great, but not bad either, or so I thought!)

The team I have now isn't the one I started with, though. Once I saw how the season was going, I swapped out some players to put all of my best players (by OVR) on the active roster.

I have gone 5-13 since the AS break.

PT is showing me that I still have a lot to learn about how the OOTP mechanics work.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Just some things to consider - Overall isn't always the best way to judge things. What type of team do you want to be? Strong pitching/defense, balanced, a high-powered offense? You may have good players, but they don't fit together well, or fit into the style of play that you want.

Look at having a bad season as an opportunity to try out a couple of things as well. Would you play better if you improved your defense, etc.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Going strictly by OVR will sadly almost always get you into trouble. You need a plan. Then use players that fit that plan regardless of OVR. Many golds are better than half of the diamonds for different strategies. There are also low diamonds worth more to your plan than high diamonds and several perfects. I started with a $50 investment. I open many packs because I like to. I have sold since PT started Perfect DeGrom and Sale cards when their prices were up because I think they suck in my scale. I bought players and cards each time. I sold a Perfect Lou Gehrig this morning because I got an Olerud(with defense even) that is very nice for my first base. I chose to turn the 100 OVR historical player into a pile of PP. I bought 2 diamonds and will buy 100 packs this afternoon with the remaining proceeds and have some left over. This is because I think OVR is vastly overrated and I have a plan and my own grading system that I stick to. Have I been lucky? Absolutely. But I dismissed OVR and used that luck

Good luck

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Thought I'd have a decent team this season, good enough to hover around .500 ball.

I cannot fathom how my team is so noncompetitive this time around (aside form the fact that the division leader has an insane lead). I thought that I had a solid team (not great, but not bad either, or so I thought!)

The team I have now isn't the one I started with, though. Once I saw how the season was going, I swapped out some players to put all of my best players (by OVR) on the active roster.

I have gone 5-13 since the AS break.

PT is showing me that I still have a lot to learn about how the OOTP mechanics work.

Just tried to post article about my team & what rating mean, but wouldn't let me. RATING are a HOAX. They don'y mean anything except to get you to spend money on higher ranked players. It's a joke. I'm just sad/mad I spent money building my team to get beat like last game 21-0. Been shutout 8 times in last 27 games. For the year I'l averaging right about 3.9 to 4 runs a games. Got hitters who should be hitting 35+ HR barely reaching 11-12 a year with 35-40 RBI. .330 hitters reduced to .240 hitters. I'm not even going to start on my pitching. All the ones bloviating about learning your roster, blah, blah, blah....I wanna hear what you got to say when you team is sucking badly with same players most everyone got...But more luckier winning the lottery than assembling a consistent team in PERFECT TEAM. Something just ain't jiving

Game after my 21-0 lost Syndergaard gave up 7 runs on 12 hits in 4.2 innings. team gave up 18 more hits & lost 8-1. last 2 games 0-2 losing combined score of 29-1 giving up 39 hits. lol...Carlos Carrasco Noah Syndergarrd started those games....LMAO

Last edited by Bunktown Ballers; 12-14-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Talk about a hoax, I'm still not over 93 rated Luis Severino losing to the Red Sox 16-1 in the playoffs. Something definitely wasn't jiving that game...

If this is a thread about trying to help PT less frustrating by giving tips I think there are plenty of people that will help. If this is going to turn into complaining about ratings I'm out.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Maybe an obvious point but have you spent any time adjusting the gameplay / strategy sliders for both your team and individual players? I find it can make a big difference. I have one team that is faster with less power and I set it up quite differently than my silver team that has less speed but loads of HR power. Your strategy for hooking pitchers can be adjusted for the team and for each player. So I find a pitcher with less stamina but good stuff it's good to yank them at the signs of trouble quicker than a guy with huge stamina who might not be fading just needed to work through it. Your mileage may vary...
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I would be pretty smart too if I had pulled 3 perfects including a Gehrig.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:

Basically what the others said about overall not being a good measurement, but also wanted to mention you have a high percentage of underachievers (Catfish Hunter, Johnny Antonelli, Matt Barnes to mention a few). Be sure and check a player's performance for other owners if you're able before signing them.

Last edited by <Pion>; 12-14-2018 at 01:52 PM.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
chazzycat
All Star Starter

OP - it looks like your offense is near the league leaders in steals, but near the bottom in OBP. That could mean you are stealing too frequently and have a lot of caught stealing dragging you down. Stealing bases is only beneficial to the team overall when you are successful the vast majority of the time.

Also, your pitching is giving up too many walks & homers. Being dead last in both of those categories is really bad. I would probably start by trying to improve your pitchers movement & control ratings. Starting with the bullpen.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
Talk about a hoax, I'm still not over 93 rated Luis Severino losing to the Red Sox 16-1 in the playoffs. Something definitely wasn't jiving that game...
I remember before that game, I posted on a Red Sox message board that I hoped for a repeat of the 14-1 game from April. It was one of the craziest things I ever almost predicted.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I’m with you brother. Lol....
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
Just tried to post article about my team & what rating mean, but wouldn't let me. RATING are a HOAX. They don'y mean anything except to get you to spend money on higher ranked players. It's a joke. I'm just sad/mad I spent money building my team to get beat like last game 21-0. Been shutout 8 times in last 27 games. For the year I'l averaging right about 3.9 to 4 runs a games. Got hitters who should be hitting 35+ HR barely reaching 11-12 a year with 35-40 RBI. .330 hitters reduced to .240 hitters. I'm not even going to start on my pitching. All the ones bloviating about learning your roster, blah, blah, blah....I wanna hear what you got to say when you team is sucking badly with same players most everyone got...But more luckier winning the lottery than assembling a consistent team in PERFECT TEAM. Something just ain't jiving

Game after my 21-0 lost Syndergaard gave up 7 runs on 12 hits in 4.2 innings. team gave up 18 more hits & lost 8-1. last 2 games 0-2 losing combined score of 29-1 giving up 39 hits. lol...Carlos Carrasco Noah Syndergarrd started those games....LMAO
I'm not sure which guy you think should be hitting 35+ who is "barely reaching" 11-12.Going down your team in power, you have Eloy future who's an 80, who has 13 HR in 100 games this year, or at least on pace for about 20. Your other power hitters are Abreu, who's already hit 21 HR, Fisk, who admittedly has done bad for you, but who still has 7 HR in 50 games, Winfield, who has 12 in 90 games, Arenado only has 3 HR but only 29 games. Your next few best hitters all have 10+ HR in 90-100 games, so again, well above what you say.

Batting is low, but it's low for everyone because pitching is so good. But your team is 3rd in the league in HR. Remember, the league batting average is around .260, and this is a league where teams routinely have guys like Bregman or Winfield on the bench, so you need some luck to be higher.

Yeah, your Syndergaard had a bad game, but other than that one stinker, he's done pretty well for you. And again, remember, the average starter in the league is a mid-80s rated starter. And I know it was in your other thread, but if you think ratings mean nothing, I would suggest going to the league, check all qualified starters, and sort by WAR or FIP or anything. On the first page, I see 3 perfects, 9 diamonds, 8 golds, and 3 silvers (2xLen Barker plus Whitley). On the bottom page, yes, there are a Carrasco and a Strasburg, but it's mostly Bronze and Silver players.

Basically, the talent levels are just crazy high. So yeah, sometimes you get unlucky. You're also unlucky this year in that you have 2 of the probably 4 or 5 best teams in the league in your division, so that sets you a bit back from the get-go, unfortunately. And we're both in a little bit of an unfortunate spot, being around the .500 mark, enough back that we need a good run to get a wildcard spot, but I think we're both top-16 in the league, so if you think this year is hard, next year might be worse.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #13
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
All the ones bloviating about learning your roster, blah, blah, blah....I wanna hear what you got to say when you team is sucking badly with same players most everyone got.
Since the ratings are static, I wouldn't say anything. I'd check to make sure I was using the players properly and after that, I'd write it off to bad luck.

I went 74-88 last year in Bronze, but the Silver league I'm in right now is shining my shoes. I've got like a 20 game lead in my division and I'm doing this with largely the same players I had last year. I knew my guys were good and I stuck with them. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #14
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Not smart, lucky. But the choice is to be fooled by high OVR or build your team. I know that you are smart and have a plan. I do not think that you would keep any perfect that does not fit that plan. I sold the pitchers that I think do not have enough movement for my idea of a goof PT pitcher. They made my team better by being gone. I sold Gehrig this morning because I need some upgrades, not because he lacked anything. He is an historic player that I knew some Yankee fan would buy if nobody else would.Luck can make a person look smart. But you still must do something with it. The point is OVR is only a very general idea of the player's worth. The two pitchers' movement is not enough for me because they do not have enough stuff and/or control to overcome it in my opinion.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #15
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzie View Post
Maybe an obvious point but have you spent any time adjusting the gameplay / strategy sliders for both your team and individual players?
Yes. I've even fiddled with the lineups and rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
OP - it looks like your offense is near the league leaders in steals, but near the bottom in OBP...

...Also, your pitching is giving up too many walks & homers.
Yea as a team my steals are good, individually, nowhere near the leaderboard.

I've tried to play "the ratings game" where I ignored OVR and when with what ratings I could see. All pitchers whose STUFF rating was over 100 was inserted, and more often than not, they had good CON also.

As far as my lineup went, tried to go with ones that had good DEF (80+).

But yet, the first place team in my division has players who supersede my players' OVR, and has "ran away" from everyone else.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #16
Morug
Major Leagues

Build your team around defense and pitchers. SS and CF are the most crucial defensive position, priority to have the best players possible at this two position.

Last edited by Morug; 12-14-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #17
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yes. I've even fiddled with the lineups and rotation.

Yea as a team my steals are good, individually, nowhere near the leaderboard.
That's not really what I meant. Just logically...if your guys barely get on base, but steal tons of bases - that probably means you have set the slider so high that it's hurting you. Gotta check and see how often your guys are getting caught stealing. The number of steals by itself is meaningless without the percentage.

Quote:
I've tried to play "the ratings game" where I ignored OVR and when with what ratings I could see. All pitchers whose STUFF rating was over 100 was inserted, and more often than not, they had good CON also.
STUFF corresponds to strikeouts, which we can see from your screenshot is not really a weakness (your pitchers are 3rd in strikeouts). CON corresponds to walks and MOV corresponds to home runs allowed, which is why I suggested focusing on those stats to improve your performance in those categories.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #18
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
That's not really what I meant. Just logically...if your guys barely get on base, but steal tons of bases - that probably means you have set the slider so high that it's hurting you. Gotta check and see how often your guys are getting caught stealing. The number of steals by itself is meaningless without the percentage.

STUFF corresponds to strikeouts, which we can see from your screenshot is not really a weakness (your pitchers are 3rd in strikeouts). CON corresponds to walks and MOV corresponds to home runs allowed, which is why I suggested focusing on those stats to improve your performance in those categories.
Yeah, it's easy to get caught up and want the guy with high stuff in there, but they're not always the best options. There's a reason everyone seems to love the Larry Dierker card, and it's not because of his strikeout numbers. And the reason why that Perfect Pedro Martinez card to me looks like the best card in the game is not his stuff rating, but his movement and control.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #19
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, it's easy to get caught up and want the guy with high stuff in there, but they're not always the best options. There's a reason everyone seems to love the Larry Dierker card, and it's not because of his strikeout numbers. And the reason why that Perfect Pedro Martinez card to me looks like the best card in the game is not his stuff rating, but his movement and control.
This is purely anecdotal, but I've found that for the most part, I can get away with the high stuff guys in the bullpen, while the rotation is another story. In the bullpen, it seems, strikeouts are king. But the starters, who are facing 20+ batters per game, have more chances to get burned, and burned hard, without decent movement/control.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #20
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Here are some over/under achievers on results that can be anticipated for your players...

Over league average
Starlin Marte, Steve Piscotty, and Ryan Zimmerman for hitters, Bobby Thigpen for RP (very good compared to average RP, the biggest differential of your players)

Under league average
Nelson Cruz, Matt Duffy, Jed Gyorko, Mike Moustakas (atrocious), Willingham, Barnes, Porter, and Suzuki for hitters, Antonelli, Hunter, and Strahm for SP.

The worst offenders were Gyorko, Moustakas, and Willingham, but that's a lot of hitters who are below league average for their position. As for the SP, they were close to league average, but only average and slightly below at best.

I think you mentioned stressing defense, but you'll have to weight the advantage gained (or not) by the defense against the lack of runs they are contributing.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote