Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Such a huge untapped market...

It's still amazing to me that in the years since Francis started the development of his game, that no major sports management sim company actually produced a game. Any game focusing around this sport could honestly create so much attention if done right, in the same way FM did.

You can still find people now pleading for something like this all around the internet and playing things such as the head coach series or FOF like right now trying to find their perfect mix. Here's hoping OOTP and Jim can properly actualize that vision!
Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
Here's hoping OOTP and Jim can properly actualize that vision!
You can say that again, but you don't have to since I did it for you!

- Bru

Old 12-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's still amazing to me that in the years since Francis started the development of his game, that no major sports management sim company actually produced a game.
Well, that is actually false. You already mentioned FOF and I believe both FOF 7 and 8 came out within the time the OOTP football project started. There's also Draft Day Sports Pro Football, which also just released a new version. Also Football Mogul (although from what I gather that's not really a recommended game).
Old 12-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Well, that is actually false. You already mentioned FOF and I believe both FOF 7 and 8 came out within the time the OOTP football project started. There's also Draft Day Sports Pro Football, which also just released a new version. Also Football Mogul (although from what I gather that's not really a recommended game).
Yeah you're not wrong but Wolverine Studios is a small up-start (which is why I said major sports sim company) unlike OOTP or SI. Wolverine Studios game is definitely good but I feel like they do the basketball side of things a lot better and definitely deliver when it comes to that. DDS: Pro Football is a lot more GM heavy and isn't like FOF from what I've played of both.

Football Mogul to me is just a more stripped down FOF with player pics but that will be solved in FOF9 so I'm not really bothered. The point of my original post is that no company with gigantic marketing potential or hype itself ever capitalized on the need for it (aside from OOTP supporting BTS Football) and I'm still surprised by that.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The point of my original post is that no company with gigantic marketing potential or hype itself ever capitalized on the need for it (aside from OOTP supporting BTS Football) and I'm still surprised by that.

This is sim gaming. There are no companies with gigantic marketing potential and hype. SI is probably the only exception, but that's probably more to do with the global,enormous popularity of soccer.

Yes, OOTPD is bigger than Wolverine, but I really don't feel like it is that huge of a difference between the company's overall and most players in this genre are going to know about other smaller games and companies like Wolverine anyway.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
Reggie
Major Leagues

Not sure what would qualify as a huge market. But I am positive that if someone develops a football game with the same graphics, customization and "feel" as OOTP baseball 19 the sales would be brisk. I know we are nowhere near that and it took OOTP baseball years and years to reach its current awesomeness ... just saying if it ever reaches that level a football sim would sell like hot cakes IMHO.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
...SI is probably the only exception, but that's probably more to do with the global,enormous popularity of soccer....
And the fact that there is no competition.

I've been playing CM/FM since...2001?...and it amazes me what that company has been able to get away with in terms of flawed AI (in real life, soccer "tactics" do not have to be completely changed from year to year), severe limitations in how the player can customize his or her game, etc.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Old 01-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Enforcer
Minors (Double A)

I find it funny no one can reproduce a Football game like Front Page Football Pro.. This game was the best!

Head Coach type (not joystick/twitch gaming)
All aspects of a real season minus a good salary cap sim
Great career league sim (draft, fa, training camp, aging, ext)
Playbook and play designing
head to head (very basic but it worked)
and
a graphical representation of the game
Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
I find it funny no one can reproduce a Football game like Front Page Football Pro.. This game was the best!

Head Coach type (not joystick/twitch gaming)
All aspects of a real season minus a good salary cap sim
Great career league sim (draft, fa, training camp, aging, ext)
Playbook and play designing
head to head (very basic but it worked)
and
a graphical representation of the game
Yes, I think Front Page Football Pro was the best of the non-arcade games I've played and I never would have believed I still would be saying that almost 20 years after its demise. I guess Madden in console form and then as a port to the PC killed it. But it was never anywhere near as good as FPSF.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

FPS FB Pro 99 Killed the series, as a Beta Tester on that game it was pretty much unanimous amongst us that the Game wasn't ready for release, they released it anyway and we know the rest of the story. When that Game Died it left a void that has yet to be filled by any company. Football Pro 98 is still the Bar all other games will be measured against. Hands down the best Career mode,head to head Management game in The History of Sports Simulations.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 01-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
swoboda
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
FPS FB Pro 99 Killed the series, as a Beta Tester on that game it was pretty much unanimous amongst us that the Game wasn't ready for release, they released it anyway and we know the rest of the story. When that Game Died it left a void that has yet to be filled by any company. Football Pro 98 is still the Bar all other games will be measured against. Hands down the best Career mode,head to head Management game in The History of Sports Simulations.
I am still playing FPS Football, I prefer the 97 version.
Waiting patiently for the future = OOTPFB.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
Old 01-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of untapped markets . . .

I'm retiring soon which means I will finally have time to indulge my interest in sports simulation games. Particularly American football.

I have tons of money to spend. (Not really, but I do have enough to spend on sports simulation games. Particularly American football.)

Please tap this untapped market, and soon!

- Bru

Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Has anyone tried Axis football? I really enjoyed this game. Has a full coach mode, not a perfect game but plays pretty well once they patched it.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah you're not wrong but Wolverine Studios is a small up-start (which is why I said major sports sim company) unlike OOTP or SI.
So, 10 employees versus 1 employee makes OOTP a major company and Wolverine not?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #15
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
So, 10 employees versus 1 employee makes OOTP a major company and Wolverine not?
more of a matter of looking at the fact ootpd games have a bigger and much more dedicated fanbase and larger reach, idk how employees are a metric of size