Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #21
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A Young Prince Meets a Sultan
April 1926

Despite being denied from playing with the neighbourhood children, William nevertheless was fascinated with the big league version of baseball as well. He would follow both the National and American Leagues with zeal, with such stars as Jimmie ‘The Beast’ Foxx, Lou ‘The Iron Horse’ Gehrig, and Walter ‘Big Train’ Johnson setting off his imagination as well as the imaginations of other baseball mad children. But above all the others, there was one player he idolized: George Herman ‘Babe’ Ruth Jr., the man American journalists would dub ‘The Sultan of Swat’ for his hitting prowess. Years later, the King would recount with pride the experience of witnessing Babe Ruth play ball first at the Polo Grounds, and later, Yankee Stadium:

“Those were definitely heady days, as you had two great teams, the Giants and the Yankees, competing for centre stage at the Polo. But it really was no contest as the Yanks had the Babe and that’s all that mattered. Looking back, I can understand [New York Giants’ manager John] McGraw’s frustration, but Ruth was worth the price of admission alone.

“The first time I heard that sound of the ball making contact with his bat is something I will never forget. His sound was different, completely unique from anyone else’s.”

The occasion of attending his first ballgame at Yankee Stadium was due to another time-honoured ritual often observed by the rambunctious kids – skipping lessons to sneak into the ballpark. While William would quickly pay a stern price for that stunt, there was no denying him. William was hooked. The Queen Mom, understandably protective of her children, eventually grew tolerant of their fondness for baseball, at least when his schooling was over for the summer.

Meeting the Babe

In 1926, Colonel Jacob Ruppert, owner of the New York Yankees, invited William to meet his idol for the first time upon learning of the lad’s lineage and his reverence for the Babe. Walking out onto the green grass of expansive Yankee Stadium in the bright sunshine enthralled William. But it paled in comparison after the Colonel called out to a man leaning on his bat waiting his turn at batting practice.

“Hello Babe, I have someone who would like to meet you.”

Turning around, the man looked down upon his young admirer, who was now standing completely in his shadow.

”Hey kid, how you doin’?”

The lad, rendered speechless, could all but shake the Babe’s outreached hand.

“What’s the matter son - cat got your tongue?”

The broad smile on Ruth’s face put William at ease and he finally found the words.

“Would you teach me how to hit a baseball like you?”

Ruth laughed. “Sure kid. Here, let me show you how to hold a bat.”

It would be the beginning of a friendship that would last to this day. The Prince would continue to meet his idol on numerous other occasions, learning the finer elements of hitting and how to wait for a pitch. His Highness recalled another experience he had with the Babe later that same summer:

“I was swinging the bat back and forth trying to apply what the Babe was teaching me while he relaxed on the grass.

“Keep your feet square son, and bend those elbows”, he implored. “Keep them close to the body. You gotta watch for those inside pitches.”

Looking out towards the pitcher’s mound, I made the mistake of thinking out loud.

“It must be easy to be a pitcher. All you do is wind up and throw.”

“Easy?” Ruth exclaimed, “That just goes to show how little you know about baseball!”

“Why, have you tried it?” I asked.

The immediate laughs from the other players within earshot made me realize that I had just stuck my other foot in my mouth. Needless to say, that little session quickly became a pitching clinic. As the rest of the team lined up to watch him take to the mound, my awe of the Babe only grew.

“There’s nothing he can’t do!” I said to myself.””

As pleasant as it was for the young royal family in America, home was never far away for the Queen Mother. For the first time in years, the news from Braeland sounded hopeful. Unrest over the oppressive regime was spreading throughout the island. The Resistance was successfully turning the tide, and clamour for a return of the monarchy was becoming more vocal. In anticipation of their eventual return, William would now be groomed in preparation for assuming the Brunswick throne. While his personal contact with the Babe would become less frequent, his education and training would not deter him from following Ruth and his Yankees. In time, Ruth himself would pay William a visit, although under much different circumstances.
Excerpt taken from the forthcoming book At The Wall: How Baseball Saved A Nation, by Paul Shirley, senior sports editor of the Brunswick Courier. Reprinted with permission.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 AM   #22
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds1 View Post
Thanks, tylertoo! Those references will be helpful. And the Koana dynasty is just incredible. When you get to point of developing a unique language for your fictional world - that is the definition of immersion!

Thank you, Eugene! I'm humbled! Yes, I remember very well learning how to make logos from knuckler and contributing some of my own over the years. But I find constantly making logos and jerseys can lead to burn out after a while if you don't take a break and do something else. At least, that was my experience.

Braeland was one such excursion and I've finally worked up the nerve to make it a dynasty, something I've always wanted to try. Fortunately there's so many good examples on the forum that offer ways on how to present league news in a compelling way, and your dynasties will be ones I'll be definitely be taking cues from.

I just have a couple of more 'chapters' to post and then I'll start profiling the cities and teams, leading up to opening day.
Well, you have certainly made a tremendous start with the backstory, storylines and your graphic presentation. The dialogue is special, too. I never could do that. I just don't have the writing skill and talent. I'm just a pretty good descriptive sports reporter that perseveres over a long period of time and nothing more. I wish that I could have humanized and developed my dynasty storylines like you are doing. But it didn't happen. In my opinion, that is one way to create a great dynasty... the people and the country have to come alive.

I know it's early in the game... but I see a very good future for your Braeland dynasty report.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 05-19-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #23
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Well, you have certainly made a tremendous start with the backstory, storylines and your graphic presentation. The dialogue is special, too. I never could do that. I just don't have the writing skill and talent. I'm just a pretty good descriptive sports reporter that perseveres over a long period of time and nothing more. I wish that I could have humanized and developed my dynasty storylines like you are doing. But it didn't happen. In my opinion, that is one way to create a great dynasty... the people and the country have to come alive.

I know it's early in the game... but I see a very good future for your Braeland dynasty report.
Thanks, Eugene! Pretty soon, this dynasty will be settling into a baseball results narrative, so the challenge for me will be to adapt and try and keep it interesting. I haven't thought too much into the future after the leagues get underway, but I might have to give some thought to creating a story here or there on off-the-field events involving the characters I've created.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #24
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heading For Home
April 1935

In hindsight, Alexander Louden should not have been surprised. Having served as the King’s Private Secretary for the past three years, he had already been on the receiving end of some of William’s more unusual demands. The previous year, he had requested Braeland’s top architects, engineers and contractors to come to America and tour her most noteworthy ballparks: Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Forbes Field, Sportsman’s Park, Shibe Park, Navin Field and Crosley Field all took their turn on the grand tour. William’s instructions were succinct:

“Take the best from all these ballparks and build me one in Brunswick as well as in Wolseley. I want to see baseball played in Braeland.”

Without knowing what baseball was really all about, the ‘King’s men’ nevertheless complied, and after three weeks touring the parks, they were back home and designing Braeland’s new landmarks.

Now Louden had made the final preparations for the Royal Family to leave New York City and make a triumphant return home. But as was usually the case, William had other ideas.

“We shall not be leaving from New York right away. We shall head to Boston by train first and then we can make our way home.”

Despite the protestations of the Secretary about everything already having been arranged, William was unmoved.

“I’ll leave it to you to decide whether it’s easier to depart for Braeland from Boston or come back to New York, but either way, there is an old friend I need to see first. Please make it happen.”

Asking A Favour

By the spring of 1935, Babe Ruth was a shadow of the player he once was, the years of fast living and age having finally caught up with him. Returning to Boston that February to play for the struggling Braves, it would prove to be his last season as a player. But none of that mattered to William. To him, he was and would always be the ‘Babe’ - his friend. Now he wanted to meet his friend one last time on his own turf and ask him a favour. He had been hesitant before to ask the Babe, since he had already been so generous of his time over the years. But now with his return to his home country imminent, this was his final opportunity.

The next day, the train rolled into Boston’s South Station with three Pierce-Arrows waiting to take their esteemed riders to Braves Field. Once there, William asked the others to wait and walked towards the Braves’ main entrance. Meeting him at the steps was Braves’ owner Emil Fuchs.

“So very good to meet you, your Majesty,” as Fuchs accepted William’s outreached hand. “I can’t tell you how much of an honour this is.”

“Thank you, Mr. Fuchs,” replied William, looking rather anxious. “Is the Babe around? He replied to my telegram saying that he would be here today.”

“Indeed he is. I believe he is out on the field right now. Allow me to take you to him.”

Walking out onto the field in the bright sunshine reminded William of that first meeting he had with the Babe years ago at Yankee Stadium. Only this time, he couldn’t help but sense some sadness in the surroundings. But if there was one thing William admired about Babe Ruth, besides him being the greatest baseball player who ever lived was the Babe’s refusal to dwell on the past or be afraid of failing. Seeing the Babe as active as ever, hitting grounders and barking at the fielders it was clear that he was exactly where he wanted to be.

“Hello, Babe. Remember me?”

“You again?” Ruth bellowed in jest, as he had done many times before whenever he saw William. “It’s been a while son.”

The Babe called out to Rabbit Maranville, the Braves backup shortstop, who was in the dugout.

“Hey Rabbit, take over for me would ya? I’ve got company.”

William got straight to the point. “Would you come to Braeland in the off-season and do a barnstorming tour? If you’re able to, that is. I mean, the one you did last year in Japan was phenomenal, the people there loved it. I know my people would love it too, if they saw the best playing it.”

“Braeland, huh? That’s a little ways from here, isn’t it – near California?” inquired Ruth with a mischievous smile.

“Well, it’s a little farther than that!” William said with a laugh. “But don’t worry. It’s nice and warm there and we’re building two new ballparks as we speak. And all your expenses will be taken care of.

“Sure kid, I’d be happy to do it. But who are we gonna play? You don’t have ballplayers yourself, do ya?”

A look of terror swept across William’s face, realizing he had completely forgotten this crucial element. But Ruth, sensing the Prince’s panic, quickly came to his rescue.

“Don’t sweat it, kid. I’ll take care of that no problem. We’ll put on the best show down there, the likes of which has never been seen before, not even in this country.” Then the Babe paused. “I guess I’m gonna to have to stop calling you ‘kid’, since I hear you’re a King now.

William shook his head emphatically. “No. I’ve always liked it when you called me ‘kid’.”

“So is that why you came all the up here, just to ask me that?” Ruth asked with a somewhat suspicious look.

“I would have come up here regardless, just to see you before I leave. I hope everything goes well for you here in Boston. I’ll be following and rooting for you.”

“Thanks, kid. I appreciate that. It should be interesting. It’s not exactly the Yankees, but don’t tell anyone I said that.”

William gave a knowing nod. “Well, I must go now. I’ll contact you soon after things are all squared away back home so that we can arrange for your visit. Everything should be set by then. The new ballparks should be done and all ready to go.”

Then William shook Ruth’s hand. “Thank you for everything, Babe. I can’t tell you how much this will mean for my people – how much this means to me.”

“Ah shucks, son. Don’t go soft on me. You just wire back to me the ‘where’s’ and ‘when’s’ and we’ll be there.”

“Will do, Babe. So long!”

William walked back to the waiting entourage barely concealing his joy. Soon, his countrymen would see for themselves the wondrous game that brought him so much joy as well as some of the great men who played it. Confident that his fellow Braelanders would love it as much as he did, he was finally set to leave America.

“Alright Alex, you can take me home now. I’m ready.”
Excerpt taken from the forthcoming book At The Wall: How Baseball Saved A Nation, by Paul Shirley, senior sports editor of the Brunswick Courier. Reprinted with permission.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:54 AM   #25
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Introduction to the United Leagues of Braeland Teams

I am indebted to many of the great mod-makers that I have both learned from and heavily borrowed from over the years. The United Leagues is no exception.

For all those who created the wonderful ballparks, logos, ball caps and jerseys that I am using or was inspired by to enrich my leagues, such as TeflonSkies, blueturf, DreamTeams, txranger, knuckler, justafan, deft, gern44, nopepper, rocknfire7, spindel, truthserum and others I'm no doubt overlooking, I offer my sincere THANK YOU!

Last edited by reds1; 07-01-2017 at 02:41 AM.
reds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #26
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Brunswick, Perth

Brunswick is the largest city on the island and served as its capital until 1884. Situated on a sprawling basin along the south side of the Lune River and Pacific Ocean, it is the main port of call from destinations across North and South America. Although not the dominant city it once was, it still remains Braeland’s principal financial, industrial and cultural center. Residents of Brunswick are said to have a smug, ‘center-of-the-universe’ attitude that the rest of the country loves to hate. As a result, the Legends will always be the team other clubs will get extra pleasure from defeating, regardless of how they are faring in the standings. Conversely, the Legends will have a perpetual chip on their shoulders.

Brunswick is also the site of the first professional baseball game on Braelander soil, between the Babe Ruth All-Stars and Satchel Paige All-Stars. The Legends are named in honour of all the players who participated in those historic games. Brunswick Park was re-named ‘Babe Ruth Park’ in honour of the legendary American ballplayer.

1937 Training Camp Record: 15-13, 4th place in EL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 80-74, 11 GB, 4th place in EL.

Minor League System Ranking: 8th.

What the pundits are saying:
Quote:
“The Legends will be relying on their pitching to compete for a playoff spot in their inaugural season. While they are projected to finish 1st in runs against (631 RA/3.50 ERA), their offense is projected to finish next to last in runs scored (691). RHP Tong-yeop Lee (74 overall/74 potential) and LHP Matthew Monroe (68/70) should provide an enviable one-two punch in the starting rotation, However, Lee begins his United Leagues career at 39 years of age, so the Legends can be forgiven if they are already wondering how long they can rely on him as their ace. The offense will be carried by LF Mark Elston (71/74), and 1B Pete Good (73/73). 21-year old SS Rovilson Valdevieso (23/70) has a chance to develop into a solid lead-off hitter as well, but the rest of the line-up is mostly a non-descript bunch. That could sink the Legends this year if no one rises above the mediocrity and the pitching is unable to sustain itself throughout the long season.”
- Steve Vincent, Brunswick Courier
Brunswick Legends Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 11-22-2022 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Updated uniform timeline
Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #27
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Wolseley, Oxford

Wolseley is the second largest city in Braeland and the fastest growing, thanks to expanding trade with Australia and East Asian countries. In fact, locals are hopeful that they will be able to overtake Brunswick as Braeland’s largest city within the next decade. Wolseley’s past was rooted in rebellion and was a hotbed of Anti-Monarchy sentiment. While improved communications (ie. radio and railways) have helped to reduce the feelings of isolation and neglect, an ‘Us vs. Them’ attitude still permeates the Wolselean psyche, indeed as it does the entire Western Provinces.

Wolseley was the site of the final three games between the Babe Ruth All-Stars and Satchel Paige All-Stars in 1935. Wolseley Field was renamed in honour of the immortal Satchel Paige. The Unions derive their name from the spirit of unity that swept the country following the restoration of the Monarchy and the renewed commitment among Braelanders to never again resort to bloodshed to settle their differences.

1937 Training Camp Record: 10-18, 8th place in WL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 71-83, 30 GB, 6th place in WL.

Minor League System Ranking: 3rd.

Quote:
“The Unions look like they will struggle getting out of the second division this year, as their offence is ranked only 5th in projected runs scored (722), while their pitching is ranked 6th in runs against and ERA (776/4.25). Outside of LF Terence Durney (72/80) and RF Arthur Carruth (68/69), their lineup is rather weak. However, their pitching would seem to hold more promise despite the predictions, as RHP Augusto Rocha (67/67) and prospect LHP Edward Hill (63/65) give the Unions two reliable arms in the rotation. Their bullpen looks solid as well, with Dylan Tinsley (69/71) and LHP Quentin Teague (64/68) providing support. Some help is on the way however, as their minor league system is ranked 3rd overall. The Unions boast the No. 1 prospect in CF Zak Kidd (22/80). Besides LHP Hill (ranked 10th overall), they also have RHP Steve Patterson (21/78-12th overall) in the system. But they will need more offensive depth if they hope to contend in the next few years.”
- Paul Caldwell, Wolseley Independent
Wolseley Unions Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 07-02-2019 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Updated uniform timeline
Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 AM   #28
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Downie, Perth

Downie, the third largest city in Braeland is nestled in a picturesque valley situated along South Pacific Ocean, near the entrance to the breathtaking Pearl Sound. Despite its relative proximity to other major urban centers, it was actually one of the most isolated. Until the dramatic arrival of the railroads, road access over the forbidden terrain was limited with access primarily by ships. Since then, the population has exploded and industrial growth has increased exponentially, especially in the chemical and railroad sectors.

The Chiefs’ home field, Gibson Ballpark, is named after Josh Gibson, one of the greatest players to ever grace the field, Negro Leagues or otherwise.

1937 Training Camp Record: 12-16, 5th place in EL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 66-80, 25 GB, 8th place in EL.

Minor League System Ranking: 14th.

Quote:
“If the prognosticators are correct, the Chiefs’ first season will be a long one. Rated last in projected runs scored (629) and 6th in runs allowed/ERA (767/4.24); the Chiefs will be hard pressed to escape the basement in the Eastern League. While they have a few nice position players such as 3B Andy Johnson (78/78) and CF John Dugan (77/77), plus nice depth at 1B, specifically Roger Tyler (68/68) and Roman Ferreira (63/68), they just do not have the horses to make much noise. They do have a legitimate ace in RHP Frank Leadbetter (76/76) and 41-year old LHP Robert Renton (62/62) may prove to be a solid No. 2 man if he stays healthy. But after that there is a steep drop in talent. To make matters worse, the farm system ranks 14th out of 16 clubs with no impact player ready to help in the near future. Chiefs’ fans will have to exercise patience before they see the fortunes of the club improve."
- Winford Rafferty, Downie Free Press
Downie Chiefs Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 07-02-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Updated uniform timeline
Old 05-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #29
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Hespeler, Norfolk

The fourth largest city, Hespeler has always marched to its own drummer. In fact, a running joke among Braelanders when describing their country to visitors is to conclude by saying, “And then there’s Hespeler.” Residents have long had a reputation of aloofness from the issues of the day, and this was no more apparent than during the struggles between the Monarchy and the Republicans. But while Hespelerites may be a tad hedonistic, they are not apathetic. Some of the most fervent baseball fans in the country are to be found here. The locale climate is exceedingly warm year round, as are the residents. However, the arrival of casinos and gambling over the next several years will become a thorn of contention between Hespeler and the Government of Braeland, with the issue eventually becoming a referendum on Hespeler’s ‘live and let live’ view on life.

1937 Training Camp Record: 13-15, 6th place in WL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 63-91, 38 GB, 8th place in WL.

Minor League System Ranking: 15th.

Quote:
“The Stars’ inaugural season may fall far short of any fan’s lofty expectations. The Stars should be a competent offensive team, however, as they are projected to score the 4th most runs (726) in the Western League. They boast the number one ranked catcher, in 40-yaer old Kane Broom (78/79). Also leading the way offensively will be 2nd overall ranked 2B Toby Reakes (80/80), who is projected to have a Top-10 performance (.312, 2 HRs, 62 RBIs, 32 SB), and CF Tadamas Takano (60/73). Takano looks to lead off, while 4th overall ranked RF Louie Maylam (72/72) will bat 5th, behind Broom and Reakes. Those three are lefties, so the Stars may want to look at inserting a righty to give pitchers a different look in the heart of the batting order. The pitching staff on the other hand, will feature two solid hurlers, RHP Michael Wilberfoss (77/77) and relief pitcher RHP Keith Kearney (78/78). Wilberfoss, in fact, is projected to have an outstanding season (19-13, 2.76). But they won’t be able to carry the team alone, and that is borne out by their projected runs allowed and ERA (877/5.04), by far the worst in the entire United Leagues. With the second to worst rated farm system, the Stars will be hard-pressed to improve their fortunes in the immediate future.”
- Drew Streeter, Hespeler Star
Hespeler Stars Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 07-02-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #30
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Wellington, Perth

Visitors to Wellington often remark how they feel they’ve been transported back in time to the 19th century. This is not a coincidence. Wellington, more than any other city in Braeland, has cultivated and retained the look and feel of Victorian era London. The frequent fog that can be thick as pea soup at times, only adds to the ambience. While Wellington’s economy has always been based on the fishing industry (as is nearly all of Braeland major centers), it presently has one of the most diversified economies in the country.

The Athletics’ ballpark is named in honour of Louis Santop, one of the Negro Leagues first superstars.

1937 Training Camp Record: 9-19, 7th place in EL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 84-70, 7 GB, 3rd place in EL.

Minor League System Ranking: 13th.

Quote:
“Despite an uneven 'Coconut League' record, the Athletics should be a formidable offensive team that, if it gets decent pitching, could find its way into the postseason. The club will feature an enviable lineup to start things off, with switch-hitting LF Bob Boynton (80/80) and 2B Ryley McLarnon (74/74) setting the pace. Both are projected to enjoy Top-10 performances: Boynton with a line of .329, 18 HR, 105 RBI, and 40 SB; McLarnon with a line of .357, 3 HR, 78 RBI and 46 SB. LF Quentin Stubber (80/80), who is currently on the DL due to partially torn labrum, is expected to return to the middle of the lineup in 2-3 weeks. That will make the Athletics an even more lethal offensive club, as it will allow OF Tom Addis (67/70) to move to 1B. If nothing else, they should be a terror on the base paths, as the Athletics are projected to steal 220 bases, 120 more than their nearest competitor, Kingston. It’s the pitching side of things that is the big question. LHP Clyde Boney (69/70) is projected to enjoy the best pitching performance in the Eastern League (20-11, 2.73) and RHP Michael Hanley (58/58) could contribute as well (16-10, 3.11). But after them there is a steep drop off in the rotation and the bullpen is nothing to get thrilled about. The farm system is short on impact arms, so the Athletics may want to consider a trade to beef up their pitching core, especially if they find themselves in the postseason hunt.”
- Zachary Dunham, Wellington Gazette
Wellington Athletics Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 11-25-2022 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Updated uniform timeline
Old 05-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #31
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Ladies and gentlemen, here is tonight’s Top Ten List (or, my salute to David Letterman):

Quote:
“So, Paul, get this, there’s a baseball team down in some island country, call ‘Braeland’ I believe – “

“Braeland, is that near California?”

“Well I think it’s a little further than that. But there’s a baseball team that has the duck-billed platypus as their mascot.”

“A duck-billed platypus?”

“A duck-billed platypus. Just rolls of the tongue, doesn’t it? So the writers here got to wondering, as they so often do on pressing issues such as these, on what would uh, what would possess a professional sports team to, uh, adopt such a creature as a mascot.”

“It’s an unusual choice.”

“Exactly. Exactly. You wouldn`t think it would conjure up fear in the hearts of opponents, but then again, I`m just your friendly neighborhood talk show host, so what do I know?”

"So for tonight’s Top Ten list, we’ve come up with the Top 10 Reasons Why the Duck-billed Platypus is the Mascot of the Wellington Athletics. Here we go:

10 – New Zealand already had first dibs on the kiwi.

9 – A deal with Pittsburgh for their penguin and a puffin to be named later fell through.

8 – Wanted the most goofy-looking creature known to man, but Donald Trump’s hairpiece was asking for too much money.

7 – Platypuses eat rally monkeys for breakfast.

6 – He was able to save us 15% or more in car insurance in 12 minutes – beat that Geico!

5 – At least it’s not as dumb as having an elephant for a mascot, am I right people?

4 – No number 4 – writer too busy trying to figure out what a platypus is.

3 – Wanted the second-most goofy-looking creature known to man, but Lady Gaga wouldn’t return our phone calls.

2 – They have a duck-bill, beaver tail, webbed feet, venom, shoot lasers and come with a 10-year power train warranty – what’s not to like?

And the number one reason:

1 – Because it was about freaking time!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #32
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Pulberry, Oxford

Like so many of Braeland’s southern coast cities, Pulberry is renowned for its scenic beauty, as it overlooks the Amberg inlet. It is also unique in that vehicular traffic is severely restricted in the downtown area. Only tramcars, or trolleys, are permitted to operate during the day. Riding the ‘trolleys’ over the city’s many bridges has become a popular activity among visitors, as it affords breathtaking views of the city and adjoining inlet.

For Pulberry baseball fans, naming their team the ‘Trolleys’ was a no-brainer, as many take tramcars, to and from the park on game days.

1937 Training Camp Record: 12-16, 7th place in WL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 76-78, 25 GB, 3th place in WL.

Minor League System Ranking: 12th.

Quote:
“The Trolleys look to be a .500 club this season, and that alone could still see them have a chance for a playoff spot if the predictions for the Western League are correct. Rated 6th in runs scored (668) and 4th in runs allowed and ERA (716/4.04), the Trolleys will need to exceed the prognostications if they want any realistic chance, however. Apart from SP-RHP Nick Paddock (65/65) reliever RHP Larry Parish (80/80), the pitching staff is alarming short on quality arms. There are some fine players in the lineup, led by CF Rio Gidley (76/77- rated 19th overall position player), catcher Gareth Cusack (69/70), 2B Michael Batterham (68/68) and versatile IF Finlay Ridd (71/73), but with a lack of real depth, the Trolleys will be highly vulnerable to injuries and could see their season over rather quickly if they don’t make any moves to beef up their pitching staff.”
- Galen Travers, Pulberry Post
Pulberry Trolleys Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 07-01-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:37 AM   #33
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Queensland, Dunwich

Queensland, the largest city in the Province of Dunwich, has a well-earned reputation of being an unpretentious, hard-working, blue-collar town. It is the proud home of the BGS shipyards as well as the Queensland Iron Works. A saying among Queenslanders is, “If it floats, they’re our boats.” But while the emphasis may be on industry, Queensland is by no means an ‘eyesore’. It has been dubbed the ‘City of Trees’, for the forest-like canopy that beautifies and adds to the ‘small-town’ charm to this thriving community.

The local ball club has been named the ‘Eagles’, in honour of the Newark Eagles. The ballpark, Wagner Stadium, pays tribute to Honus Wagner, one of the greatest ballplayers of all time.

1937 Training Camp Record: 23-5, 1st place in EL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 91-63, - GB, 1st place in EL.

Minor League System Ranking: 2nd.

Quote:
“The Eagles lived up to their name in the ‘Coconut Leagues’, soaring over the competition with a 23-5 record. That trend is expected to continue into the regular season, and it’s not hard to see why. Projected to finish 3rd in runs against and ERA (679/3.79), the Eagles pitching staff will be the backbone of the club. LHP Max MacColl (75/76), RHP Darren Stewart (72/73), RHP Stewart Colcott (74/74), RHP Julius Hunt (63/63) lead a stacked rotation, and RHP Shaun Alford (79/79) will come out of the bullpen to settle things down when needed. Both MacCall (17-15, 2.95) and Stewart (19-10, 4.05) are projected to have Top-10 performances. Offensively, the team will be led by top-rated 2B Katsunan Chikafuji (80/80), along with LF Jonathan Mabty (65/65) and 1B Quentin Puddy (64/64). Chikafuji (.343, 22 HRs, 97 RBIs) and Mabty (.337, 16 HRs, 100 RBIs) in particular, are forecasted to have standout seasons. While the Eagles are projected to have the top offense in the Eastern League (775 runs scored), their lack of real depth on the 25-man roster will be a concern. But with a strong farm system, boasting prospects such as CF Jim Vickers (23/78), RF Ben Watson (23/69) and CF Bob Guerin (23/76), the Eagles should be a strong playoff contender for the foreseeable future.”
- Franklin Kearns, Queensland Examiner
Queensland Eagles Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 11-25-2022 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Updated uniform timeline
Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #34
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Kingston, Oxford

Braeland’s southern-most major city, Kingston is situated in the heart of the island’s ‘playground’, with two of the country’s five national parks just a short motorcar ride from downtown. Here you will find some of the greatest diversity of bird populations in the southern hemisphere. But while there is much to see and do for the nature lover, Kingston also prides itself in being the preeminent family fun destination, with the Kingston Fair drawing hundreds of thousands year round. Baseball has been eagerly embraced as city fathers felt it would only accentuate Kingston’s family-friendly reputation.

Kingston Park, built immediately adjacent to the famous Fairgrounds, are the home of the Pelicans, named after one of the many bird species that call the southern coast of Braeland home.

1937 Training Camp Record: 15-13, 4th place in WL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 101-53, - GB, 1st place in WL.

Minor League System Ranking: 9th.

Quote:
“Do the Pelicans feel the pressure to win? That is the question, as they are projected not only to finish first in the Western League, but do so by 19 games over their nearest competitor. On paper at least, they look to be a juggernaut, projected to finish first in runs scored (938) and 1st in run prevention and ERA (591/3.54). They will boast no less than six players in the lineup who should provide the nightly fireworks: SS Okura Ito (78/78), CF Gilbert Austin (76/77), speedster 1B Robin Harney (74/75), 2B Mo Symes (71/71), Jayden Tennant (63/71) and C Cereneo Tolentino (68/68). Tennant is projected to have the top performance in the Western League (.349, 30 HRs, 134 RBIs), with Ito (.378, 21 HRs, 138 RBIs), Harney (.337, 2 HRs, 70 RBIs, 54 SB) and Symes (.322, 17 HRs, 112 RBIs, 12 SB) not far behind. Kingston will also enjoy a nice one-two punch in the rotation, with RHP Brady Murdy (77/78) and RHP Joey Cumberledge (74/74). Like his teammate Tennant, Cumberledge is projected to have the top performance in the Western Leauge (24-7, 3.05). Murdy will be close behind (21-11, 3.18). The bullpen will have a nice piece as well in RHP Simon Chell (75/75). Their top prospect, the 4th overall rated LHP Hirotada Fukushima (57/78) will start the season on the DL for three months, nursing a hyperextended elbow. But once he returns things could get even tougher for the Pelicans’ Western League opponents.”
- Preston Bennett, Kingston Dispatch
Kingston Pelicans Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 07-02-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:10 AM   #35
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Braeland City, Perth

The island’s national capital, Braeland City has seen its share of drama and political intrigue in the young country’s existence. Formally known as Glastonbury, the sleepy fishing town was renamed and designated the capital in 1884. It was greatly expanded and is home to the Royal Residence, the Parliament Buildings and numerous museums and galleries exploring Braeland’s natural history and contributions to South Pacific culture. Nestled in the shadow of the dormant volcano, Mount Britannia, Braeland City has quickly grown in cultural diversity and sophistication, but is united by the collective love for the Monarchs.

The club is named for the legendary Negro Leagues team, the Kansas City Monarchs.

1937 Training Camp Record: 8-20, 8th place in EL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 67-87, 25 GB, 7th place in EL.

Minor League System Ranking: 7th.

Quote:
“The Monarchs are not exactly devoid of talent, but it’s not overly generous either, and their lack of all-around depth will expose their weaknesses this season. After a dismal training camp, the club is projected to finish dead last in runs allowed and ERA (883/4.88) and only 6th in runs scored (729). SP-RHP Lenny Freke (79/79) looks to have a Top-10 season on the mound (18-13, 3.34), but after him and 39-year old relief pitcher Hyo-Cheong Yi (76/76), there is nothing that inspires confidence in the pitching staff. Offensively, the team will be led by just three players of any real talent: 3B Louie Hetherington (79/79), CF Scott Kesler (77/77) and RF Dwayne Hollinshead (68/68). The Monarchs do have some interesting pieces in their farm system, but it’s doubtful they’ll be ready to salvage the upcoming season. Prospect RF Adam Ashley (22/80) is a bona fide star in the making and RHP Gavin Hewat (20/58) could develop into a useful arm. But Braeland City is going to need a boatload of more impact players if it hopes to contend in the near future.”
- Gretchen Howell, Braeland City Reporter
Braeland City Monarchs Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 09-05-2023 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Updated timeline
Old 05-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #36
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Embro, Dunwich

Situated on the north-east shore of Lake Blyth, Embro is Braeland’s agricultural capital, in the heart of the nation’s ‘bread-basket’. During the Civil War, Embro was the object of the most decisive and bloody military battle fought in Braeland. But today, it is again noted for its laid-back charm amidst a serene pastoral setting. Only the Pincher National Military Park and the Braeland National Cemetery serve as reminders to the violent past.

Embro’s entry in the United Leagues, the Suns, is named after the abundant sunshine the area is noted for. The Suns’ home, Speaker Stadium, is named for Tris Speaker, one the greatest center fielders to play in the major leagues.

1937 Training Camp Record: 18-10, 2nd place in EL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 77-77, 14 GB, 6th place in EL.

Minor League System Ranking: 4th.

Quote:
“If the Suns hope to be in the mix come April, they will need their top line players to have top-10 seasons as forecasted and get unexpected performances from their pitching staff. Embro boasts the No. 1 rated starting pitcher in 27-year old RHP Colm Soper (80/80), and he is forecasted to have the 2nd best season in the Eastern League (19-11, 3.03). RHP John Palm (79/79) could see action both as a reliever and in the rotation. Other that those two, however, the pitching staff is rather non-descript. The Suns’ offense is projected to finish with 771 runs, good for 2nd best in the Eastern League. It will be led by 32-year old RF Paul Hooks (80/80) and 1B Anthony Stavely (80/80), rated 12th and 6th overall respectively. Hooks is projected to have the best offensive season in the Eastern League (.363, 29 HRs, 105 RBIs) and Stavely (.342, 17 HRs, 118 RBIs) the fourth best. LF Alejandro Valdés (61/61) is also projected to contribute a Top-10 performance (.346, 1 HR, 69 RBIs, 24 SB). 3B Jonathan Lauder (63/63) will also be in the mix offensively. If SS Jake Walker (47/76) and 2B Jilenko Balignasay (59/63) can hold their own in the majors as well, then the Suns should be able to outscore their opponents on most days, allowing them at least a chance to sneak into the playoffs.”
- Vernon Moran, Embro Observer
Embro Suns Uniform Timeline:

Old 05-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #37
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Those pundits, what do they know?

Good stuff, keep 'em coming.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #38
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Those pundits, what do they know?

Good stuff, keep 'em coming.
Exactly! A lot of things can happen between opening day and the end of the regular season; so its always interesting to see how close the predictions will be - and how accurate the pundits ultimately were.

That's why they're keeping the 'comments section' closed at the end of their articles - they don't want anyone to remind them how wrong they were!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #39
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Balmoral, Oxford

Set on the banks of the Taw River as it winds its way down from the Amethyst Mountains, Balmoral is the center of Braeland’s academia. King Hugh University and Oxford College are the two most prestigious centers of higher education on the island. Belying its staid outward appearance though, the Balmoral Student Games is an immensely popular event held every year since 1911. While rowing, football and track events have long dominated, a new sport, baseball, is quickly taking precedence. In fact, the annual matchup between the King Hugh Kingfishers and the Oxford Duck-Bills is followed with keen interest across the island.

Balmoral’s professional ball club, the Giants, will play at Foster Field, named for Andrew Rube Foster, the “father of Black Baseball”.

1937 Training Camp Record: 17-11, 1st place in WL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 73-81, 28 GB, 5th place in WL.

Minor League System Ranking: 6th.

Quote:
“If there’s any team that will be riding its pitching staff to success, it will be the Balmoral Giants. Projected to finish 2nd overall in runs allowed/ ERA (689/3.82), the pitching will have to carry the day, as the offence is projected to finish dead last in runs scored (638). RHP Noriaki Ito (78/78), LHP David Cooling (67/67) and LHP Ethan Umbleby (60/60) will be the top three starters and RHP Bradley Cowell (74/75) will be their top relief man. Cooling is projected to have a Top-10 performance (14-15, 2.90) that may be indicative of the team’s offensive struggles. Offensive talent is just not very generous on the club, as 39-year old 3B Hector Gonzáles (68/68) and SS Vince Bailey (46/75) are the only threats in the lineup. That could spell trouble if the Giants don’t find other quality players to back them up. They do have an intriguing prospect in C Neil Voigt (21/77), but at 18 years of age, he is still a few years away and not nearly enough to inject some badly needed firepower into what looks like a rather anemic offense.”
- Milton Weber, Balmoral Tribune
Balmoral Giants Uniform Timeline:

Old 05-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #40
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Stratford, Perth

Stratford is known to Braelanders as the city of invention and reinvention. Long considered a sleepy, backwater town, it was dramatically awakened when a group of local businessmen became the first to introduce the steam locomotive and railways to the island in 1901, transforming forever Braeland’s way of life. Stratford quickly became the most industrialized city in the country. While much of the railroad industry has transferred to Downie, Stratford is still home to the sprawling Downie & Pacific repair shops. Looking to revitalize the city after losing much of the railroad industry, however, city fathers embraced culture and tourism. The town is now home to the Braeland Shakespeare Festival Theatre, drawing hundreds of thousands of theatre goers to the area. The main theatre is situated along a small creek that was dammed up and renamed the Avon River.

The home team is named the ‘Barons’ in recognition of the original railroad barons and Stratford’s railroad history. The Barons will play at Bosworth Field, named for the setting of the climatic scenes in William Shakespeare’s play, Richard III.

1937 Training Camp Record: 17-11, 3rd place in EL.

1937-38 Projected Finish: 90-64, 1 GB, 2nd place in EL.

Minor League System Ranking: 10th.

Quote:
“The Barons are well positioned to make a run for the playoffs in this, their inaugural season. Projected to finish 2nd in both runs scored (771) and runs allowed/ERA (676/3.90), Stratford will be blessed with a bevy of impact players in the rotation as well as in the lineup. LHP Justin Hayhurst (69/69), LHP Ryan Borden (69/72), RHP Pete Malcolm (66/66) and LHP Kazuhiko Chikafuji (63/63) comprise 4/5ths of an imposing rotation. Borden (17-10, 3.27) and Chikafuji (18-6, 3.21) are projected to each have Top-10 performances this year. They will also be able to call RHP Ricardo Díaz (71/71) out of the bullpen when needed. On offense, besides RF Byron Livesley (79/79), the Barons will sport a strong infield, with 1B Tony Blakeney (61/68), 2B Pat Copeman (63/63) and 3B Brain Main (63/79) leading the way. Livesley predicted line for the season is .348, 18 HRs, 93 RBIs and 26 SB. In their farm system, they can look forward to 5th overall ranked prospect RP Daniel Pierson (21/78) and CF Steven Layland (20/61) joining the parent club in the not too distant future. Add it all up, and the Barons look to be a well-balanced club that will be a serious post-season threat over the next few years at least.”
- Russell Vaughn, Stratford Beacon-Herald
Stratford Barons Uniform Timeline:

Last edited by reds1; 07-01-2017 at 10:03 AM.