Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
revcarte
Major Leagues

IPad version: a step backwards

I waited and waited for the iPad version. I could not wait to play it. Now, after two games I have given up on it and went back to playing only on the iPhone. I am so disappointed. First of all the names on the field are too small. They are not even close to being proportionate to the rest of the screen and there is no option to alter the font. I really struggle to play because of that. Then, there is a noticeable lag in game-play readout compared to the previous version. There seems to be no way to make the play results go any faster.
I have tried to be supportive of this game and I appreciate their efforts to make a game for the iPad and iPhone but this is a huge disappointment for me.
The old version was much better.
revcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
PadresFan
All Star Starter

I haven't fired up the iPad version yet, but I did notice that the screenshots from the "road to release" did look like the text hadn't been altered to take advantage of the extra screen space. Kinda disappointing if that's the case.

EDIT: I take that back. Just fired up the game and while the names of the players on the field could be about 25% bigger, the rest of the interface looks great. Also, the PbP seems fine, no lag....

Last edited by PadresFan; 10-08-2011 at 01:44 PM.
PadresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
revcarte
Major Leagues

play by play

there is another place on this forum where other are experiencing the same problem with a lag in play by play. glad it is not affecting you.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I already said that I will make the player boxes bigger (and take a bigger Font size) on the Field View (right now they are the same size as on the iPhone). I will do it during the weekend, send it to the testers early next week and submit to Apple later next week.

For the speed of the "game result" text (I guess the PbP text). On my iPad1 it has the same speed as on any other device. There is (and always was) an option right before game start (first screen) to chose between different speeds.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
revcarte
Major Leagues

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli View Post
I already said that I will make the player boxes bigger (and take a bigger Font size) on the Field View (right now they are the same size as on the iPhone). I will do it during the weekend, send it to the testers early next week and submit to Apple later next week.

For the speed of the "game result" text (I guess the PbP text). On my iPad1 it has the same speed as on any other device. There is (and always was) an option right before game start (first screen) to chose between different speeds.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for making improvements to the font size. I never saw a quote from you stating that you were fixing it.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
HavenHunting
Minors (Double A)

Pali, on the iPad 2, the game is very noticeably slower. If you put it on very fast, the text moves to fast, but the game still has lag. After each bat, in-between innings. It is a lot slower.
HavenHunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying the iPad version, and although there could certainly be some additional refinements/improvements (as is the case with any and all software releases), to call this a step backwards is, in my opinion, a bit harsh.

In fact, I'd call this game a near masterpiece of inspired programming and interface design. It's obvious that much time and hard work have gone into this.

Easily five stars, in my opinion.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
revcarte
Major Leagues

reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfnate View Post
For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying the iPad version, and although there could certainly be some additional refinements/improvements (as is the case with any and all software releases), to call this a step backwards is, in my opinion, a bit harsh.

In fact, I'd call this game a near masterpiece of inspired programming and interface design. It's obvious that much time and hard work have gone into this.

Easily five stars, in my opinion.
The reason I called this a step backwards is that the old version is better on the iPad than the new version in its current form. Others on this forum have actually asked how they could go back to the previous version. If they can fix the problems like the size of the text on the field and the lag in play by play then it will be an improvement, but not in its current state.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
Roger
Bat Boy

Quote:

Hope that helps.
Pall, while the larger font size will certainly help,can any thing be done about the team color schemes?
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
revcarte
Major Leagues

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Pall, while the larger font size will certainly help,can any thing be done about the team color schemes?
Yes. Thank you. that has been mentioned previously in another thread on this forum. If they would swithch all team text to WHITE against the team color box that would be fine.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Raz Algool
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have 2 complaints about the new version.

1. As others have stated, we need the star rating readily available from the roster screen. When trying to make a trade, you need those ratings right there. I could care less what country a player is from.

2. I never had a crash in the old version. My new version will just cut out on me, sometimes in mid-game or even mid-trade, erasing what I just did to the last save point. Comments?
Raz Algool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz Algool View Post
1. As others have stated, we need the star rating readily available from the roster screen. When trying to make a trade, you need those ratings right there. I could care less what country a player is from.
Just to make sure you saw it but the star ratings are available on all rating/potential views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz Algool View Post
2. I never had a crash in the old version. My new version will just cut out on me, sometimes in mid-game or even mid-trade, erasing what I just did to the last save point. Comments?
I guess you have an iPad 1, right (I have one myself)? The memory usage is higher now so please make sure to have not to many Apps running beside iOOTP (I always have only iOOTP open). And I reboot my iPad (better: all my devices) on a regular basis to free memory.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcarte View Post
Yes. Thank you. that has been mentioned previously in another thread on this forum. If they would swithch all team text to WHITE against the team color box that would be fine.
As mentioned I will take a look into the team color thing but it is not that simple: we have 2 colors defined for every team, one is used as background color and one is used as text color. So I can't just make all text colors white.

But I will find a way to improve the situation for this version!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
Husky51
Minors (Double A)

While I, too, would like a little bigger font size, I haven't posted much because I have been way too busy playing. It's an excellent game, i like the ease of use and the ipad is a real improvement. Thanks for that upgrade and thanks for the bigger font that is coming.
Husky51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
revcarte
Major Leagues

huh?

Quote:
As mentioned I will take a look into the team color thing but it is not that simple: we have 2 colors defined for every team, one is used as background color and one is used as text color. So I can't just make all text colors white.

But I will find a way to improve the situation for this version!
I guess I am missing the point...do not understand why one of the colors for every team cannot be white? as long as the box color is different.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
revcarte
Major Leagues

I cannot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky51 View Post
While I, too, would like a little bigger font size, I haven't posted much because I have been way too busy playing. It's an excellent game, i like the ease of use and the ipad is a real improvement. Thanks for that upgrade and thanks for the bigger font that is coming.
I am glad you can enjoy playing it....no matter how many times I turn on the iPad to try again to play it I find myself turning it off. Even with reading glasses on it is really just too difficult to play now and hard to enjoy. The field looks beautiful and I am anxious for the fix.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
bullschuck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Just to make sure you saw it but the star ratings are available on all rating/potential views.

I guess you have an iPad 1, right (I have one myself)? The memory usage is higher now so please make sure to have not to many Apps running beside iOOTP (I always have only iOOTP open). And I reboot my iPad (better: all my devices) on a regular basis to free memory.
Star ratings on rating/potential views are not nearly as useful as they are on the old version's default view. The removal of this feature makes it harder to draft, harder to trade, and harder to evaluate free agents. In drafting, it's useful to be able to look at all players ranked at a single glance, not just pitchers on one screen, then cutting to batters on another. The same for free agents. And not being able to rank all players by age and still see their potential rating makes trading for prospects all but impossible. This is a big issue.
bullschuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
MattB75
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullschuck View Post
Star ratings on rating/potential views are not nearly as useful as they are on the old version's default view. The removal of this feature makes it harder to draft, harder to trade, and harder to evaluate free agents. In drafting, it's useful to be able to look at all players ranked at a single glance, not just pitchers on one screen, then cutting to batters on another. The same for free agents. And not being able to rank all players by age and still see their potential rating makes trading for prospects all but impossible. This is a big issue.

I registered just to wholeheartedly agree with this post.

Can we get some kind of confirmation that the default views will return the ratings? I stopped playing since the last update. Between the font sizes(I am however impressed with how quick it's being fixed), and loss of default veiw ratings, it's unplayable for me. Thx.
MattB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Yes, I will bring back the star ratings to the default view with the upcoming patch.

For the fonts: We talk about the Field View during a game, right?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
MattB75
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I was talking about font size.

I am more of a sim player, so in game fonts don't bother me. Though I really am thinking of trying to play a non-sim season.

Thx for the quick response. The rating issue being fixed is awesome news.
MattB75 is offline   Reply With Quote