Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #21
rangers85
All Star Reserve

Location: Fort Worth, TX...home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Davis View Post
So your suggestion is to make the game smaller because you are forgetful and will forget to download it at home?
I'm downloading it either way. I'm just thinking from the viewpoint of Joe Blow who has never heard of OOTP before and runs across it while on a smoke break at work. Basically the type of people Markus, etc are hoping to lure into the OOTP world with this app. They know people like me and you will remember it and buy it regardless.
rangers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #22
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
I'm downloading it either way. I'm just thinking from the viewpoint of Joe Blow who has never heard of OOTP before and runs across it while on a smoke break at work. Basically the type of people Markus, etc are hoping to lure into the OOTP world with this app. They know people like me and you will remember it and buy it regardless.
1) Logistically it would be impossible to fit any playable version of the game in that small of a size requirement.

2) If the game is good enough, you won't forget.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #23
Eric
All Star Starter

In regard to why additional seasons are add-ons, I'm just thinking it's just to increase revenue. Initial price is low enough for people to try out. For those who are interested, they can fork over $0.99 for another season. If there's not enough takers, OOTP folks can just lower the price.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #24
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Davis View Post
So your suggestion is to make the game smaller because you are forgetful and will forget to download it at home?
iPhone has an alarm you could set for when you get up in the morning and you can add a reminder to check the app store for iootp before you leave the house.

Problem solved on his end
Old 03-31-2011, 04:16 AM   #25
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser and Curiouser View Post
I appreciate the "official" answer. However, it leads me to another question.

You state that including the complete historical database wouldn't work due to a memory problem. However, if I bought every season wouldn't I have the same problem?

Also, are you saying that each historical season stands alone and there is no way to continue from 1923 to 1924 with real players coming in through the amateur draft?

Thanks.
The seasons you purchase are complete game files, it is not possible to 'move' players to other saved games.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #26
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Now, is OOTP a single season historical replay game? I think the answer is no.
Actually, I personally feel that OOTP is the best replay sim on the market bar none, it produces more realistic stats & league totals than any other game, including games such as DMB. The only limitation (although I personally never used these in DMB back then) is missing real-world transactions and as-played lineups for each game, something we will add in OOTP 12.

Generally, iOOTP is just $4.99.. it comes with three historical seasons. You can try it out for the price of a good hamburger (and less than a ticket for a movie) and see if it fits your needs.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #27
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Actually, I personally feel that OOTP is the best replay sim on the market bar none, it produces more realistic stats & league totals than any other game, including games such as DMB. The only limitation (although I personally never used these in DMB back then) is missing real-world transactions and as-played lineups for each game, something we will add in OOTP 12.

Generally, iOOTP is just $4.99.. it comes with three historical seasons. You can try it out for the price of a good hamburger (and less than a ticket for a movie) and see if it fits your needs.

I certainly agree on this point. It seems that there have been a number of things done over the last few versions to make single season replays a lot more accurate (as they should be a lot more accurate than extended replays). I very rarely play single season replays, but the one or two that I did play with V12 seemed to be pretty accurate. It might be just the small sample size, sure, so those that play a lot of single season replays might disagree. From my limited experience, though, it does the job very well.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #28
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
Right. My thing is, if I see an app I want, I generally want it right then. If I have to wait til I'm home on wifi to download either I'll forget, second guess myself (especially if it's not a free app), find a cheaper alternative, or any number of other things to not download it. I think overall if you can keep it under the 20 MB threshold to download it over 3G it would help sales for these reasons. Any time you give a potential customer a road block or time to second guess themselves, you will lose a percentage of those customers.
Tie a string around your finger.

That was the old way before sticky notes.
klkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #29
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
In regard to why additional seasons are add-ons, I'm just thinking it's just to increase revenue. Initial price is low enough for people to try out. For those who are interested, they can fork over $0.99 for another season. If there's not enough takers, OOTP folks can just lower the price.

Plus... you're paying $0.99 for a in-game year of fun. Is that really all that much when a movie ticket is $10 or more?

Besides, this is yet another advantage to only use fictional leagues. The results are fictional (albeit realistic), the players should be too!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #30
Curiouser and Curiouser
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post

Three things here.

1. Thank you for the answers. I appreciate it.

2. I'm certainly not going to argue with you about OOTP vs. DMB (or games of that ilk). It's just that OOTP has never before (that I noticed) put itself in the same category as replay games. I think you're statement that OOTP is "the best" in this regard is fine, but needs to be tested out.

3. And this is the most important thing. I'm glad you can get a good hamburger for $4.99. I'd love to get one at that price. Maybe I should move to Germany.
Curiouser and Curiouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #31
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Three things here.
3. And this is the most important thing. I'm glad you can get a good hamburger for $4.99. I'd love to get one at that price. Maybe I should move to Germany.
This is off topic, but hamburgers in Germany are vastly different than the burgers we have in North America.
statfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #32
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
This is off topic, but hamburgers in Germany are vastly different than the burgers we have in North America.
Wouldn't they be better?

Hamburg-ers
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #33
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Perhaps in "Hamburg"?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Come to Diamond, IL best hamburger I have ever had plus a LB of fries $3.99
Babe's Beer & Tap.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #35
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
Yeah too much ham in 'em.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #36
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Great, after all that talk about hamburgers I have to get one tomorrow for lunch.
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #37
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
I can get a very nice Hamburger for under that here in Florida - although the best here (imho) are at Malibu's in Rockledge (and just over that I think) ... although don't try their Death burger unless you're incredibly brave, its sauce is so hot I couldn't finish it and I normally love spicy stuff ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote