Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #241
hamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42661 View Post
Thanks for the quick response IceTea.
Yeah, he's always quick & gives good ratings of fighters that just fought.
hamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #242
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42661 View Post
Thanks for the quick response IceTea.
Welcome! he is a very weak 6.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #243
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Jesus Ruiz LHW
Rating: 4

* fighting Chad Dawson next friday. I did some more research on him and adjusted the rating and the bio.

MJ

Last edited by IceTea; 02-23-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #244
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

I'll most likely have to adjust these within a few days after the bout. This is what I have currently.

Shannon Briggs: 3
Sultan Ibragimov: 6

MJ

Last edited by IceTea; 06-04-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #245
lethal liberal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Kidd View Post
The updated fighter files are much appreiciated. It's a true labor of love. It's hard, too, because while a fighter's career is in progress, there is often a series of ups and downs which can make it easy to overreact - either way when considering how good a fighter really is.

Great and good fighters have ordinary nights and can be very beatable from time to time. Decent fighters can rise to the occasion and look great for a fight or two before falling back into a pattern of being very average and beatable.

I started creating boxer ratings back in 1979 when I started playing the box game. And I quickly found that it's much easier rating guys who were retired. Then, you have two options.

1. Rate the fighter based upon what he actually did in the ring.
2. Rate the fighter based upon what you thought he might be capable of doing had he been given the chance.

I remember Larry Holmes' ratings when he was rated with the gray cards (current fighters). He was very, very beatable.

What's nice about the current version of the PC game is; You can rate a fighter one way and then affect that rating by moving him to post-prime or end with just a few clicks.

Fighters like Fernando Vargas and David Reid are good examples. Both were different fighters after their respective losses to Felix Trinidad. When I use those kinds of fighters in my universe, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt when rating them in their primes. Then, I move them to post-prime as soon as they suffer the same kind of loss as they did in their actual careers.

That's just how I do it, anyway. I guess there's no right and wrong, it's just up to the individual.

Anyway, the point is, I think you do a good job adjusting the ratings as the fighter's career is in process. You don't overract to a single performance. With guys like Ike Ibeabuchi, there's not much choice. All you have is a few fights. But he's the exception to the average career.

Just a sidebar, it's nice to see so many others who started playing the game when I did, back in the late 1970's!
Good points. Yeah,I started playing the game back around 78 or 79 when I was about 13 years old..and havent quit since(well a few brief periods). I remember that I re-rated Holmes back then. I love Larry,one of my favorite fighters of all time. I could watch him throw that crushing jab and right crosses all night long. I used to rate a lot of fighters(every time I would watch ESPN Top Rank boxing as it used to be called)and would rate them as soon as I watched them fight. I refrain from rating fighters that I havent seen fight. I just like to know exactly how they fight,so I can get the jabs,hooks etc. close to being realistic. I am rusty now..it takes a while to get back to rating them correctly. I find that IceTea is damn good! You can take it to the bank that his fighters will perform close to real life. Well,take care fellas.

Coach of Left Jab Inc (You have to be great to be consistently mediocre)

Title Bout devotee since 79

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.
FDR
lethal liberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #246
Jim_Kidd
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal liberal View Post
Good points. Yeah,I started playing the game back around 78 or 79 when I was about 13 years old..and havent quit since(well a few brief periods). I remember that I re-rated Holmes back then. I love Larry,one of my favorite fighters of all time. I could watch him throw that crushing jab and right crosses all night long. I used to rate a lot of fighters(every time I would watch ESPN Top Rank boxing as it used to be called)and would rate them as soon as I watched them fight. I refrain from rating fighters that I havent seen fight. I just like to know exactly how they fight,so I can get the jabs,hooks etc. close to being realistic. I am rusty now..it takes a while to get back to rating them correctly. I find that IceTea is damn good! You can take it to the bank that his fighters will perform close to real life. Well,take care fellas.
Larry was on the game box back then, too. I read his autobiography several years ago. It was great. It got to the point where he started getting the better of Ali while they were sparring, and Ali let him go. It was then that he knew he could become champion.

I used to create boxer cards on my drafting board. I just got back into doing fighter ratings about 5 years ago. It's much easier now without the cards. I like reading accounts of the retired fighters and tweaking their ratings like I did with Sonny Liston after reading "The Devil and Sonny Liston." Or more modern fighters like Harry Arroyo, from the 1980's, after reading articles and fight accounts.

I'm glad IceTea does the current guys. They are a constant work in progress and require more time and attention.
Jim_Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #247
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

I have updated the ratings of Sultan and Briggs.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #248
gocubsgo
All Star Starter

What did you wind up rating them Ice?
gocubsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #249
earl61245
Bat Boy

Ice Tea:

I was looking over online ring magazine and noticed James Toney is in the top 10 but could not find the fighter in Title Bout...are you going to be sending that over as well? Thanks.
earl61245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #250
a87star
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl61245 View Post
Ice Tea:

I was looking over online ring magazine and noticed James Toney is in the top 10 but could not find the fighter in Title Bout...are you going to be sending that over as well? Thanks.
The file should be in there. He is rated at MW and HW.
a87star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #251
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
What did you wind up rating them Ice?
I don't really look at the overall rating I just fill in the blanks and let the overall figure fall where it falls. Briggs: 3 Sultan : 6

- Most likely, Briggs is a strong 3 and Sultan an iffy 6. Briggs power figure is at 9.

MJ
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #252
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Iron Mike Pusateri MW
Rating: 2

I only added a bio and some bio info.

MJ

Old 06-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #253
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
Request was made in another thread so I thought I'd ask Ice down here .. any chance of a Pavlik update and a Cotto at WW
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #254
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365 View Post
Request was made in another thread so I thought I'd ask Ice down here .. any chance of a Pavlik update and a Cotto at WW
I did a Pavlik earlier. I'll find it and post again. I've been working on a Cotto update and will post later tonight.

MJ
Old 06-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #255
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

updates on Pavlik and Cotto

Old 06-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #256
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Some recent updates

Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #257
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

George Walton SMW
Rating: 4

Old 06-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #258
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

updates

Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #259
Jim_Kidd
All Star Reserve

Marlon Starling - updated.

Here's an updated Marlon Starling. He didn't perform well against Donald Curry in my replays and I had to update Mark Breland as well (although I'm still tweaking him) to get results that were similar to what actually happened in real life.

They called him the "Magic Man" but I heard that some friends called him "Moochie".

If you've never seen him fight, he was similar in a lot of ways to Winky Wright. You had to appreciate boxers to appreciate the style. He used his arms and gloves to block a lot of punches.

The magic man had a chin of Iron. He was unofficially floored after the bell when he put his guard down in his fight with Thomas Molinares - which was officially called a NC 6. Even as an amateur, they said he was never floored (Curry and others hit him with some bombs).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Starling_Marlon_MW_Retired_Prime.zip (966 Bytes, 82 views)
Jim_Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #260
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Kidd View Post
Here's an updated Marlon Starling. He didn't perform well against Donald Curry in my replays and I had to update Mark Breland as well (although I'm still tweaking him) to get results that were similar to what actually happened in real life.

They called him the "Magic Man" but I heard that some friends called him "Moochie".

If you've never seen him fight, he was similar in a lot of ways to Winky Wright. You had to appreciate boxers to appreciate the style. He used his arms and gloves to block a lot of punches.

The magic man had a chin of Iron. He was unofficially floored after the bell when he put his guard down in his fight with Thomas Molinares - which was officially called a NC 6. Even as an amateur, they said he was never floored (Curry and others hit him with some bombs).
* He gave a ringside lecture at the boxing hall of fame this year. He was very good and funny. He said that Mark Breland broke his nose in the first round of their fight with a left jab.

MJ