Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #41
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

FBI wiretap records discussion of payment arrangements for Zion Williamson & Marvin Bagley.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #42
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

FBI wiretaps record convo revealing $10,000/month to DeAndre Ayton directly from Archie Miller.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #43
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

how do these coaches still have their jobs?

how are these programs not under some sort of sanctions?

Last edited by Whoofe; 05-02-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #44
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
how do these coaches still have their jobs?

how are these programs not under some sort of sanctions?
The NCAA is supposedly waiting until the feds are done, then they will "investigate". Just how spirited that effort will be remains in doubt.

1. The NCAA overstepped their bounds when they penalized Penn St for the Sandusky fiasco.

2. The NCAA got caught breaking their own rules when they had Miami(FL) dead to rights on Shapiro giving illegal gifts to Hurricanes football players.

3. The NCAA gave the appearance of impotence when they couldn't punish UNC for their twisted academic manipulations. That view was fueled by false media reporting and commentating.

4. Kids getting paid under the table is college basketball's version of MLB's steroids. The media & powers-that-be have known about it for decades, but turned away because no one wanted to interrupt the "flow of home runs". Big name programs are involved. And since the NCAA has added "should have known" to their list of penalties, "plausible deniability" is no longer in play for people like koach k or Bill Self.

So the NCAA is in a precarious position. W/power conference football schools already mildly contemplating a break from the NCAA, coming down hard on dook, Kansas and Arizona is going to push the basketball schools to get from under the NCAA's archaic rules.

That's why I'm glad all of this junk is being exposed. Because in my mind, what these defendants did is not illegal. It's against NCAA rules, not federal law. They are "wrong" for not following the NCAA's laughable code of honor. But there isn't another institution where what they did would amount to criminal activity except under the NCAA's scope. If this doesn't show the powers-that-be that the NCAA needs to be pulled into the 21st century, then they will never be convinced.

So how hard do they want to pursue this?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #45
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

well there is one coach out there that seems to be playing by the rules

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...IQb?li=BBnb7Kz
Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #46
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
The NCAA is supposedly waiting until the feds are done, then they will "investigate". Just how spirited that effort will be remains in doubt.

1. The NCAA overstepped their bounds when they penalized Penn St for the Sandusky fiasco.

2. The NCAA got caught breaking their own rules when they had Miami(FL) dead to rights on Shapiro giving illegal gifts to Hurricanes football players.

3. The NCAA gave the appearance of impotence when they couldn't punish UNC for their twisted academic manipulations. That view was fueled by false media reporting and commentating.

4. Kids getting paid under the table is college basketball's version of MLB's steroids. The media & powers-that-be have known about it for decades, but turned away because no one wanted to interrupt the "flow of home runs". Big name programs are involved. And since the NCAA has added "should have known" to their list of penalties, "plausible deniability" is no longer in play for people like koach k or Bill Self.

So the NCAA is in a precarious position. W/power conference football schools already mildly contemplating a break from the NCAA, coming down hard on dook, Kansas and Arizona is going to push the basketball schools to get from under the NCAA's archaic rules.

That's why I'm glad all of this junk is being exposed. Because in my mind, what these defendants did is not illegal. It's against NCAA rules, not federal law. They are "wrong" for not following the NCAA's laughable code of honor. But there isn't another institution where what they did would amount to criminal activity except under the NCAA's scope. If this doesn't show the powers-that-be that the NCAA needs to be pulled into the 21st century, then they will never be convinced.

So how hard do they want to pursue this?

well its kinda stupid how the NCAA picks and chooses their punishments. I mean, kelvin Sampson was basically banned from coaching because he made some phone calls outside the allotted time to do so. to me that seems a minor infraction *shrug* compared to paying recruits, which is serious cheating
Old 05-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #47
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
well its kinda stupid how the NCAA picks and chooses their punishments. I mean, kelvin Sampson was basically banned from coaching because he made some phone calls outside the allotted time to do so. to me that seems a minor infraction *shrug* compared to paying recruits, which is serious cheating
Sampson wasn't just fired for the phone calls. He was placed on probation for 500+ calls while @ OU. Then while still on probation, did it again @ Indiana. He was clearly thumbing his nose @ the NCAA. It was like he wasn't content with just speeding on the hwy, he did burnouts in the Hwy Patrol's parking lot.

I think that rules should be followed and violations punished, no matter how minor. Rules are useless if you're not willing to offer discipline if they are ignored. The problem is the NCAA's rules on amateurism for students isn't enforceable and largely unethical. It's one thing to tell a penniless teenager not to take a free gift. It's another to say his mom, uncle or coach can't take a free gift w/o that kid's knowledge and that somehow means the kid must be punished. That's nonsense. The NCAA has actually argued in court that the US constitution allows them to treat student athletes like prisoners.

This is why I have made multiple threads stating the NCAA must die.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #48
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
well there is one coach out there that seems to be playing by the rules

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...IQb?li=BBnb7Kz
I admire him for his restraint.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #49
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Six issues to address after C-bball trials end
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #50
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post

good article, thanks.

One Power Five coach summed up the situation this way on Thursday to Yahoo Sports: “People in our business are laughing. What is going on? All of us who said, ‘Hey, we’re going to follow the letter of the law.’ Are we just all idiots? Why are we doing this?’”

the NCAA does need to punish the schools and coaches who cheated,
but they won't, because most of those schools are probly the ones we all know are the top ones year and and year out.

if they banned NC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA etc from postseason, they'd be terrified of a huge money hit on the tournament

and the NCAA would rather keep the money than keep the few honest coaches happy
Old 05-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #51
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Dawkins & Code found guilty on only 2 of 6 counts.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 05-08-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #52
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

De Sousa wins appeal. Eligible to play @ Kansas.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #53
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Chuck Person gets only community service. Once again shows how "serious" the court takes all of this.

While I think it is ridiculous these men could have gotten jail sentences for what is legal in just about every avenue of life in America, I hope the light sentences don't have the unfortunate affect of taking the steam out of college sports reform.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance