Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2016 > MLBM 2016 - General Discussions

MLBM 2016 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2016, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android

Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
daves
Hall Of Famer

Depth Chart question

If some positions don't have a secondary player for their position, will this have a negative affect on the starter since there is nobody to field their position when exhausted? Can 2b's play SS even if there is no defense rating listed for that player?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:59 PM   #2
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
If some positions don't have a secondary player for their position, will this have a negative affect on the starter since there is nobody to field their position when exhausted? Can 2b's play SS even if there is no defense rating listed for that player?

I don't think it's an issue. A non position player can fill in and depending on his ratings will do the job. I wouldn't put a catcher at SS but you can.
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:08 AM   #3
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillupi View Post
I don't think it's an issue. A non position player can fill in and depending on his ratings will do the job. I wouldn't put a catcher at SS but you can.
Agreed completely. I was playing a historical game where Derek Jeter quite quickly lost ALL of his defensive abilities but still was put out as a regular fielder (NL team with no DH) by the computer manager because of his hitting.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:42 AM   #4
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Phillupi, did Derek Jeter perform OK in the field, if you know?

That is, I wonder if the AI has some limit (in AI-managed teams) to how badly a player can field, to account for occasional roster problems without distorting the game.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post
Agreed completely. I was playing a historical game where Derek Jeter quite quickly lost ALL of his defensive abilities but still was put out as a regular fielder (NL team with no DH) by the computer manager because of his hitting.

Can you answer the question above about Jeter?
Old 04-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Sorry, Phillupi

I think I just did the forum equivalent of asking someone to google for them, by directing my question to the wrong poster.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
Phillupi, did Derek Jeter perform OK in the field, if you know?

That is, I wonder if the AI has some limit (in AI-managed teams) to how badly a player can field, to account for occasional roster problems without distorting the game.
I was always wondering about the effect. Whenever I played against that team, I did not notice an excessive number of errors from Jeter (or, for that matter, any). I would have no way of knowing, though, if his fielding would result in more hits getting past him.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #8
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Remember the ratings for a player at a position is his overall rating. For example check this player out. He is rated for 3B only but also has a range, error, arm and double play rating as an infielder. Even if he is 0 at SS I would assume he would play fairly well since he has decent ratings as an infielder.

However if this catcher was moved to SS he would not fair as well since his infield ratings are extremely low.

My opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #9
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillupi View Post
Remember the ratings for a player at a position is his overall rating. For example check this player out. He is rated for 3B only but also has a range, error, arm and double play rating as an infielder. Even if he is 0 at SS I would assume he would play fairly well since he has decent ratings as an infielder.
Excellent point. I do remember that my Jeter player had NO positions that he was rated for but I honestly don't remember if the generic infielder ratings were 0 or not. I suspect that they weren't, leading to him having a position in the depth chart.

Unfortunately, that particular saved game was corrupted a while ago (started in 1972 and stopped in around 2005) so I can't go back and verify.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Panchobamba
Minors (Double A)

An interesting experiment would be to take a player whose ability at a position has dropped to 0 and tweak it to a 2 or 3 in the editor. My guess is it would drop back to 0. ( I may have done this last year but my memory's foggy)
I did in earlier iootp take an infielder who had dropped to 0 and move him to a new infield position and his ability grew in his new position.
Tangential to this but related to the depth chart and tiredness, I once traded Dom Brown (old iootp) in the beginning of a season and kept an eye on him. By August he was chasing a Triple Crown, the AI team had no back up for him, and he was exhausted every time I checked on him until the end of the season. He did not tail off and still won the Triple Crown.
Panchobamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #11
phillupi
All Star Reserve

After these posts I had a 3B rated for 3B only. See above. Bill Bradley. In the editor I changed his games at SS to 1 so he would be rated a 0 at SS. I then played him a few games at SS. He was bad making error after error. But he eventually improved to a 5 after playing more games. Not sure if the year 1903 had any effect.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #12
Panchobamba
Minors (Double A)

I did a similar experiment. Using the Mets, I switched D. Wright who only had a rating at 3B to 1B. Then moved L. Duda from 1B to 3B. Wright had decent green infield defensive ratings, Duda's were poor, mostly orange color, although his position rating was good.
Both had no rating at their new position. I didn't tweak anything in editor.
I auto simulated up to 40 games and Wright had already improved at 1B to a 4 (1-20 scale). Duda was still a nothing with terrible stats. I auto -simmed some more and the AI decided I was a bad manager and switched them back to their original positions!
Panchobamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #13
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Funny.