Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

OOTP and Perception

I just have something to say.
First, i have just arrived home from Roger Dean Stadium where i saw my NY Mets obliterate my MIA Marlins 11-0.
If any one needs a pic of Roger Dean for their Minor League ballparks collection, i have provided one for all you guys.
Anyway, that's not what i have to say.
I was sitting in the stands watching the ball game.
I saw Matt Harvey pitch like he was "The Dark Knight."
I saw Tom Koehler pitch like he did in my Marlins real-time dynasty from last season.
He was awful.
I saw Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordon, Yoenis Cespedes, Travis d'Arnaud, Juan Lagares, and Jeurys Familia.
I know that a lot of you OOTP players have watched many baseball games at your favorite team's stadium.
But it got me to thinking that here i was, watching these guys on the field, playing a nice spring training game of baseball.
And in my mind, i was saying to myself things like:
"Wow...Dee Gordon sure has a lot of speed."
"Matt Harvey, he's my opening day starter in my upcoming Mets real-time dynasty."
"Stanton, had to trade him away to the PHI Phillies in 2018."
"Should i let Alejandro de Aza bat leadoff?"
I was just moving these players around in my OOTP game.
Now, i'm actually seeing these players on the diamond in front of me.
It just kind of opened up my mind a bit.
I am an OOTP player.
I thought about how bad Tom Koehler's STUFF rating was.
I thought about Yoenis Cespedes CONTACT rating.
Matt Harvey's MOV and CTRL ratings.
I remember trading Stanton in my Marlins dynasty.
I know its just a game, but i wonder how the Marlins fans and Stanton felt after i sent him to the Phillies.
I think OOTP has made me appreciate the game of baseball even more than ever.
It has made me see how to manage a single game and a franchise.
I know it sounds like im being philosophical about all this, but i have to ask a question to all you great players of OOTP.
Has anyone thought about your OOTP leagues a little bit while being at a REAL baseball game?
I just couldn't help it.
Maybe i need a hobby or something.
In May of this year, I am taking a vacation to New York.
On Thursday, May 26, i will be going to New Yankee Stadium for the 1st time ever to see the NY Yankees take on the TOR Blue Jays.
Then on Saturday, May 28, I will be at Citi-Field for the 1st time ever to see my NY Mets celebrate the 1986 World Series team, and then play the LA Dodgers.
I cant wait for that weekend.
My real-time dynasty will be in full-swing then.
But i know, that when im sitting in those stands at Yankee Stadium and Citi-Field, enjoying the games, OOTP is gonna help me understand the games i will be watching.
Ill be telling my friend that i will be with saying, "You know what? I have that guy batting 3rd in my OOTP Dynasty for the Mets."
Of course he will tell me, "Man, you crazy!"
So in closing, i just to say thank you to Markus, Matt, Lukasberger, Cole, TJ, and the rest of the OOTP team.
You guys have made a masterpiece of a baseball simulator.
It even makes me think a little when i go to real baseball games.

So before anyone else here thinks im crazy (i probably am), i just have a question.
Has anyone else thought about OOTP a little when you at a real game, watching the real players that when we play OOTP, we have complete control over their lives and careers?
Thanks everyone for reading.
That's my rave for the day!

Roger Dean Stadium---MIA Marlins and STL Cardinals spring training home.
Attached Images
Image Image 

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3

Last edited by rjl518; 03-13-2016 at 07:00 PM.
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
Kent814
All Star Reserve

Youre not the first one and you wont be the last. I was just at spring training up and close with the players a week a go. I saw tyson ross and said in my head "his ratings in ootp shouldve been much higher in '16."
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

good...
i thought it was just me

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
RBPD5015
Minors (Triple A)

rjl518,

Crazy to know there is another OOTP player so close to me, I live in Jupiter and go to Roger Dean all the time. I always wondered how many people play this game? I know a bunch but the world is big so to find a player so close it kinda cool. I got a good buddy from Coral Springs who plays also, but thats all I know around here.

Matt
RBPD5015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBPD5015 View Post
rjl518,

Crazy to know there is another OOTP player so close to me, I live in Jupiter and go to Roger Dean all the time. I always wondered how many people play this game? I know a bunch but the world is big so to find a player so close it kinda cool. I got a good buddy from Coral Springs who plays also, but thats all I know around here.

Matt
i live in pompano beach and work in delray.
nice to meet you Matt
Robert

Old 03-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

I wish I could visit Spring Training baseballl... unfortunately it's crunch time for us around that time every single year. Time for me to retire I suppose
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus heinsohn View Post
i wish i could visit spring training baseballl... Unfortunately it's crunch time for us around that time every single year. Time for me to retire i suppose
Don't you even think about it!!!! I'm already planning ahead for OOTP50!!!

Last edited by rjl518; 03-14-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
tward13
All Star Starter

I'll be at ST the end of the month. Watching the Mets at Port St. Lucie. I think we're driving down to Jupiter for a game against the Cards too.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I wish I could visit Spring Training baseballl... unfortunately it's crunch time for us around that time every single year. Time for me to retire I suppose
Nooo!!!!

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

I remember watching Jeff Locke pitch the other day, and thinking "why can't we have this Jeff Locke all the time, instead of OOTPB Jeff Locke like we were stuck with last year?"

And whenever we sign a new player I don't know much about (this is Pittsburgh, if I knew much about them we wouldn't be signing them ), my first port of call is OOTP to check his previous stats and ratings. (I have a game saved on Opening Day 2015 with 100% accurate scouting, just for this purpose). Most people would just go to baseball-reference.com, but this way is more fun!

Last edited by monkeystyxx; 03-14-2016 at 11:28 AM.
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #11
jparker2112
All Star Reserve

I was in Scottsdale last week and saw Jabari Blash from like 7 feet away. He is HUGE! I thought...when OOTP 17 comes out i hope he has mad power potential cuz I'm gonna trade for this dude ASAP. Then i did that for the next 117 rookies I saw over the 6 days I was there! HAHA! Grant Green is in the Giants camp and I saw him play and thought "wow..that was the first dude I ever traded for in an online league. What was i DOING???"
jparker2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

It is weird seeing players who I only know from OOTP (I don't watch much American League, or many west coast teams due to the time difference) in real life. It's always cool to see Nick Castellanos or Alexi Amarista in real life.

And always confusing when players who've been in your team for years in OOTP, are wearing different uniforms in reality (why is Dee Gordon playing for the Marlins?! Oh... right... yeah...).
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #13
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
that's what matt and the internet is for. now you get to do PR and Marketing, it's a business trip

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 03-14-2016 at 11:49 AM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #14
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Delegate! You're the head honcho and can take a vacation anytime you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
Time is like a crystal pool in front of a mirror, wrapped in a fortune cookie. It is to be eaten, but the glass shards will burn brightest when coming out the back end.
mirrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
Donevyn
Major Leagues

Quote:
I know time is a crunch, but you need the MLB 'At Bat' app. That way when you have a moment or two, you can fire that up and watch a few spring training games. Live coverage or archive games. Get the ambiance of baseball in Arizona or Florida and just bask in it.Great app to have.
Donevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donevyn View Post
I know time is a crunch, but you need the MLB 'At Bat' app. That way when you have a moment or two, you can fire that up and watch a few spring training games. Live coverage or archive games. Get the ambiance of baseball in Arizona or Florida and just bask in it.Great app to have.
And don't forget MLB TV for your Roku, Fire, Apple TV or smart TV. Best $110 you'll ever spend if you love baseball.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
Delegate! You're the head honcho and can take a vacation anytime you want.
Those two facts are theoretically true but in practice are mutually exclusive unless you are a hands-off owner. If you're hands-on, you work crunch time and take off, subject to immediate recall, during slack times. But crunch time always means all hands on deck.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #18
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Those two facts are theoretically true but in practice are mutually exclusive unless you are a hands-off owner. If you're hands-on, you work crunch time and take off, subject to immediate recall, during slack times. But crunch time always means all hands on deck.
as a management analyst ... yes and no. there will come a time, and faster than we may think, where Markus's time would be better spent down at spring training then pouring over code.

think about it, a spring training game between Chicago & NY teams & markus manages to get himself an inning or 2 in the booth talking baseball and ootp. how valuable for ootp would that be.

Markus and co. need to remember that he is a major league game developer & major league people like to hang around other major league people. at some point sending a pr guy isn't going to be enough, they won't want to meet & talk to the pr guy, but they will want to meet & talk to "the man".

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 03-15-2016 at 07:52 AM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #19
tejdog1
All Star Starter

I will say that it must absolutely suck to be a baseball fan in Europe. I'm not sure if baseball coverage has gotten any better since the last time I was in London (2006), but if it hasn't... yeesh.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #20
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrack View Post
as a management analyst ... yes and no. there will come a time, and faster than we may think, where Markus's time would be better spent down at spring training then pouring over code.

think about it, a spring training game between Chicago & NY teams & markus manages to get himself an inning or 2 in the booth talking baseball and ootp. how valuable for ootp would that be.

Markus and co. need to remember that he is a major league game developer & major league people like to hang around other major league people. at some point sending a pr guy isn't going to be enough, they won't want to talk to the pr guy, they will want to talk to "the man".
I agree 100%. I think Markus just going to Spring Training with a small posse spreading the OOTP gospel would be a great boon to the game. I've never met him in person, but he's pretty photogenic and comes off, at least online, as a quirky guy. I have to imagine that a number of Spring Training goers would get a real kick out of meeting the German guy who made the greatest baseball game ever.

And Spring Training is a great place to do it as you could hit a number of parks in a short period of time at a fair price. Of course, you'd have to leave people at home to work on the game in crunch, but it'd be a huge opportunity.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote