Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #61
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dog 13 View Post
according the google ..

"Most runs in the modern era (after 1900) occurred this year August 22nd 2007 when the Texas Rangers won 30-3 over the Baltimore Orioles."

and

"12 RBI in a single game. Number of occurrences: 2 Jim Bottomley, September 16, 1924; Mark Whiten, September 7, 1993."

Harper missed it by 1

Oh wow, I remember that game (I've been a ranger fan for 25 years since I was 3 years old). How could I forget? lol
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #62
phillupi
All Star Reserve

I remember a game in the late 70's between Cubs and Phillies that was 23-22. I think Mike Schmidt hit a HR in the top of the 10th to win it. I know it wasn't 30 runs but a lot for 2 teams combined.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340843505.219002.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  123.4 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #63
nolushhere
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
according the google ..

"Most runs in the modern era (after 1900) occurred this year August 22nd 2007 when the Texas Rangers won 30-3 over the Baltimore Orioles."

and

"12 RBI in a single game. Number of occurrences: 2 Jim Bottomley, September 16, 1924; Mark Whiten, September 7, 1993."

Harper missed it by 1
your roster is retarded, how the hell did you pull off getting all those guys lol.

I got my team pretty good right now.

Rotation is

CC sabathia
Grienke
Gio Gonzalez
Oswalt(Free agency)
ian kennedy

So far a week and a half in, were getting smashed, my pitchers are giving up a lot of runs.

My lineup isnt bad

gardner
castro
miguel cabrera
cano
jose bautista
jose montero
wilson ramos(nats c)
arod
revere

So I think Im doing okay trade wise so far, but man still worried about screwing myself if I just drop arod and jeter

Any thoughts, should I trade some of these guys for prospects to get guys like your getting or what. Obviously I realize cabrera and bautista are near 30's on both sides of that fence.

Im gonna have to trade grienke he wont talk to me about an extension, so I can trade him for david price who is young under control and a great pitcher from what I see.

What thoughts do you have.

in my minors currently I do have stars such as

mike trout
ruben tejeda
eric hosmer

And on my bench I do have martin prado and polanco

Last edited by nolushhere; 06-28-2012 at 03:26 AM.
nolushhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #64
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

I traded for loads of MRs within the first season - regardless of age

Players who can play in as many either infield of outfield positions as possible (So chuck in Trout as he'll be great at all 3 OFs within 2 seasons) for the bench
You can trade them up for improvements later

2 very good catchers ... I was lucky that I had Santana initially with Montell as my DH

SP depth

I didn't use Mariano as my CL as his numbers weren't up to it
So I always look for 7 MRs as one of them will do a great job as a CL

Power over contact seems to work
Offense over defense

All of these have helped me get to this

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340875163.174105.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  122.8 KB
Disco Dog 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #65
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I traded for loads of MRs within the first season - regardless of age

Players who can play in as many either infield of outfield positions as possible (So chuck in Trout as he'll be great at all 3 OFs within 2 seasons) for the bench
You can trade them up for improvements later

2 very good catchers ... I was lucky that I had Santana initially with Montell as my DH

SP depth

I didn't use Mariano as my CL as his numbers weren't up to it
So I always look for 7 MRs as one of them will do a great job as a CL

Power over contact seems to work
Offense over defense

All of these have helped me get to this

Attachment 259690

I've done this many a times with many a team. The easiest way is to play with the Yankees because you start with a huge budget.

If you don't start with such a big market team, the trick is to sign your guys to contracts of about 12.3M for 2 or 3 years when they enter their 5th year in the league, but before their arbitration runs out and they start to demand huge $$$.

Then, once they have 1 year left on their contract, trade them for 2 or 3 top prospects (it's easiest to do it the day of the draft before you actually draft because you won't confuse guys who can't be traded due to draft rules).

Eventually you will build up a team like his. It might take years depending on how big your market is, but as I've said before, I've taken Milwaukee and won 20 WS in 30 years with them.

In this game, its about momentum from season to season in regards to developing prospects. So if your team sucks, it's hard to change that culture and you really have to hit on your top draft picks. The easiest way is to build your starting rotation, as I've said before. Build up at least 5 top quality SP and have 2 half developed guys in your bullpen. Then stash as many top SP prospects in your minors. Sometimes you have to package a few good SP to get a top SP, which you can afford if you have 5 or 6 quality starters with 2 guys that are 1 or 2 seasons from being fully developed and another 3 or 4 guys who are only minor league level. Plus it helps when you get hit with the injury bug

Once you get to that point, you can really start bringing in the top fielding prospects because one top SP in the last year of his contract can get you 2 or 3 top fielding prospects alone, and you can throw in a 2 pitch MR to sweeten the deal if you have to.

I've even gotten to the point when I didn't have any prospects to trade for because I had all of the good ones! I'm talking 4 deep at every position and 5 or so SP in the minors! I would just let contracts run out at that point and then get more picks and start developing some second tier prospects into super stars.

The best way to think of it is you are gathering assets, not players. And you are building your organization, not your team. Once you get there, the championships start rolling in.

I should mention that I go for Defense over Offense, and well rounded hitters over contact or power, so really any strategy will work. Although I try to get a mix of contact, power and well rounded hitters. This works better for small market teams because the power hitters are the ones who end up demanding the big bucks...and most of the time at the start of your career they aren't fully developed by the time they end their arbitration.

Last edited by magicspeedo; 06-28-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #66
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicspeedo View Post
I've done this many a times with many a team. The easiest way is to play with the Yankees because you start with a huge budget.

If you don't start with such a big market team, the trick is to sign your guys to contracts of about 12.3M for 2 or 3 years when they enter their 5th year in the league, but before their arbitration runs out and they start to demand huge $$$.

Then, once they have 1 year left on their contract, trade them for 2 or 3 top prospects (it's easiest to do it the day of the draft before you actually draft because you won't confuse guys who can't be traded due to draft rules).

Eventually you will build up a team like his. It might take years depending on how big your market is, but as I've said before, I've taken Milwaukee and won 20 WS in 30 years with them.

In this game, its about momentum from season to season in regards to developing prospects. So if your team sucks, it's hard to change that culture and you really have to hit on your top draft picks. The easiest way is to build your starting rotation, as I've said before. Build up at least 5 top quality SP and have 2 half developed guys in your bullpen. Then stash as many top SP prospects in your minors. Sometimes you have to package a few good SP to get a top SP, which you can afford if you have 5 or 6 quality starters with 2 guys that are 1 or 2 seasons from being fully developed and another 3 or 4 guys who are only minor league level. Plus it helps when you get hit with the injury bug

Once you get to that point, you can really start bringing in the top fielding prospects because one top SP in the last year of his contract can get you 2 or 3 top fielding prospects alone, and you can throw in a 2 pitch MR to sweeten the deal if you have to.

I just made a rookie mistake (I think !!!) with 2 position players who were a season away from getting Arbitration of $12M each

I traded them at the start of the season when maybe I should have waited until nearer the trade deadline to see whether I might have got a better deal

Got decents deals as far as I can see one LF who wasn't making the Team plus 2 MR from the Minors for a bench Infielder and an SP who will be great in 3 years, then a RF (again not on my main Roster) and a Minor Catcher for an SP who is already at 70 and could rise to 79
.. so will expect him to in the rotation within 1-2- years

...but though maybe I should have waited it out a bit

Maybe I was influenced by the additional $24M that would have hit my payroll in a year

Last edited by Disco Dog 13; 06-28-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #67
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I just made a rookie mistake (I think !!!) with 2 position players who were a season away from getting Arbitration of $12M each

I traded them at the start of the season when maybe I should have waited until nearer the trade deadline to see whether I might have got a better deal

Got decents deals as far as I can see one LF who wasn't making the Team plus 2 MR from the Minors for a bench Infielder and an SP who will be great in 3 years, then a RF (again not on my main Roster) and a Minor Catcher for an SP who is already at 70 and could rise to 79
.. so will expect him to in the rotation within 1-2- years

...but though maybe I should have waited it out a bit

Maybe I was influenced by the additional $24M that would have hit my payroll in a year

With the team you have dude, I'm guessin you know at least the basics of how to make deals and get max value for your stars. I'm still gonna dog on you for using the Yankees though

Edit: I do need to actually comment on what you did I guess, lol....Basically, as long as you have your team locked up for another season, then I wouldn't worry as much about trading unless there is a guy you really really want. Arbitration money can go over the max budget, so as long as you have all your guys lined up for next season, your budget doesn't matter as much. It's the years when you have to make hard decisions about losing a guy because his arbitration or contract is going to run out at the end of the season and you don't have cap room to resign him. When building a team, this destroys your fan interest, which slows down the fan loyalty increases and makes it harder to increase your market size. So either bring in a really really good (mostly developed) prospect to soften the blow, or just be prepared for more of a wait. Of course, you're using the Yankees, so you don't care so much about that

Last edited by magicspeedo; 06-28-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #68
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

My fan interest end the season at 100
By the time I've free'd up the $20M-$30M it's down to the high 50s
Then it rises of course !!

What Fan Interest does this actually affect ?
Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #69
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
My fan interest end the season at 100
By the time I've free'd up the $20M-$30M it's down to the high 50s
Then it rises of course !!

What Fan Interest does this actually affect ?
I think it needs to be be at 100 for a season or two to make the fan loyalty increase, which will make your market size go up eventually. Then your budget starts going up, which is like yaaaaaaaayyyy!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #70
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicspeedo View Post
I think it needs to be be at 100 for a season or two to make the fan loyalty increase, which will make your market size go up eventually. Then your budget starts going up, which is like yaaaaaaaayyyy!!!
Constantly at 100 or rising to 100 ?

Is at the beginning of the season the total arbitration gets decided or during

How is this calculated ?

Last edited by Disco Dog 13; 06-28-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #71
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Constantly at 100 or rising to 100 ?

Is at the beginning of the season the total arbitration gets decided or during

How is this calculated ?
I think it has to end at 100 for a few seasons. Maybe it hast to stay at 100 through out a few seasons. I'm not sure there.

Arbitration is calculated at the end of the season. However, it is estimated through out the season and affects your future budget. It constantly changes (I think always going up till about 12M). It depends on a player's role on your team I think more than anything.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #72
nolushhere
Minors (Triple A)

can either of you confirm to me, Im in my first season, if I drop arod now, does his contract years after this season get added onto my budget where I wont be able to sign any free agents or have any money available to get extensions with my players on a 1 year deal.

Like I think I said in ootp if you had a player who had 3 years at 30m a year left, and you released him, you accumulated all 90m right on your player expenses and it really screwed you.

I just want to make sure if iootp does that as well, and since I think you two have done that before, I figure you'll know.
nolushhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #73
Disco Dog 13
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolushhere View Post
can either of you confirm to me, Im in my first season, if I drop arod now, does his contract years after this season get added onto my budget where I wont be able to sign any free agents or have any money available to get extensions with my players on a 1 year deal.

Like I think I said in ootp if you had a player who had 3 years at 30m a year left, and you released him, you accumulated all 90m right on your player expenses and it really screwed you.

I just want to make sure if iootp does that as well, and since I think you two have done that before, I figure you'll know.
Hi

Once I released these guys my salary was reduced but I couldn't use the money until the following season ... I think

pretty sure this applied to both Free Agents & Contracts Extensions

Edit : I'd suggest rather than make a mistake in your present game create a new game and release players and make note of the behaviour afterwards .. then you'll know what happens and will avoid any irreversible mistakes

Last edited by Disco Dog 13; 07-02-2012 at 05:31 AM.