Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 07-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #1
Predsboy18
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Lightbulb FHM4 Wishlist

Hi, I know you guys are hard at work developing the best game you possibly can for us, the fans. I made a comment soon after the game was released that this beat out my previous favorite hockey sim, EHM, by leaps and bounds, and I still feel that way even today. What you guys achieved with EHM3 cannot, and should not be taken lightly. That all said, I would like to put in my "wishlist" if you will for the new version, which I am eagerly anticipating. Here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head. I'll say that several of these take from OOTP 18, but I think they could be incorporated into EHM as well, as they're more small fixes, and not some complete overhauls.

-Ability to edit league rules on days NOT July 1.
-Ability to give a "contract extension" in the edit player screen, rather than continuing with a ELC. Yeah, I'm one of those guys.
-Ability to show news from ONLY my team and organization, rather than having to go through every news item from my league.
-Ability to archive previous season's data, whether in an almanac format, or other format (ok, this one might be a little tougher lol)

These are in NO way complaints about the game, just ideas to throw against the wall, and see if any stick. If I come up with any more, I'm sure I'll let you know them as well. If they're possible, or doable, that would be amazing, but if not, no harm, no foul. Either way, I eagerly anticipate the new version of the game, and will likely pre-order it when that becomes available.

Thanks guys
Predsboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboy18 View Post
Hi, I know you guys are hard at work developing the best game you possibly can for us, the fans. I made a comment soon after the game was released that this beat out my previous favorite hockey sim, EHM, by leaps and bounds, and I still feel that way even today. What you guys achieved with EHM3 cannot, and should not be taken lightly. That all said, I would like to put in my "wishlist" if you will for the new version, which I am eagerly anticipating. Here are a few that I can think of off the top of my head. I'll say that several of these take from OOTP 18, but I think they could be incorporated into EHM as well, as they're more small fixes, and not some complete overhauls.

-Ability to edit league rules on days NOT July 1.
-Ability to give a "contract extension" in the edit player screen, rather than continuing with a ELC. Yeah, I'm one of those guys.
-Ability to show news from ONLY my team and organization, rather than having to go through every news item from my league.
-Ability to archive previous season's data, whether in an almanac format, or other format (ok, this one might be a little tougher lol)

These are in NO way complaints about the game, just ideas to throw against the wall, and see if any stick. If I come up with any more, I'm sure I'll let you know them as well. If they're possible, or doable, that would be amazing, but if not, no harm, no foul. Either way, I eagerly anticipate the new version of the game, and will likely pre-order it when that becomes available.

Thanks guys
Glad you're enjoying the game. Just a couple of things:

- Editing the League Rules on not-July 1st probably isn't going to happen just do to the fact July 1 is when the "new year" begins, so the edits are made available for that day.
- There's definitely some changes coming (as Sebastian has already remarked) in terms of the news flow. The ability to limit International News is one of those changes.
- Just to be clear here: You know you can access previous years stats by going to the League History? Just click on the year and it'll bring up the stats, and you can look at just about any stat that you want.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Predsboy18
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Glad you're enjoying the game. Just a couple of things:

- Editing the League Rules on not-July 1st probably isn't going to happen just do to the fact July 1 is when the "new year" begins, so the edits are made available for that day.
- There's definitely some changes coming (as Sebastian has already remarked) in terms of the news flow. The ability to limit International News is one of those changes.
- Just to be clear here: You know you can access previous years stats by going to the League History? Just click on the year and it'll bring up the stats, and you can look at just about any stat that you want.
Understood, my thinking though goes deeper into being able to look at the schedules from the past (at least in the years played in the game, not asking for EVERY game from 19xx onward).

Another wishlist item, and my apologies for not knowing which thread the updates are in, if you'd like to link me to it, I'd GREATLY appreciate that, but another item of concern is the ability to "retire" numbers, as I don't think Marek Mazanac would ever wear #1 for Montreal, let alone any other goalie. Just thinking out loud here.
Predsboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Understood, my thinking though goes deeper into being able to look at the schedules from the past (at least in the years played in the game, not asking for EVERY game from 19xx onward).

Another wishlist item, and my apologies for not knowing which thread the updates are in, if you'd like to link me to it, I'd GREATLY appreciate that, but another item of concern is the ability to "retire" numbers, as I don't think Marek Mazanac would ever wear #1 for Montreal, let alone any other goalie. Just thinking out loud here.
We haven't started talking about FHM4 yet in official capacity yet. More announcements are in the not too distant future though. But I'm 95% Jeff said this in a stream - but that is something we've definitely looked into.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Spirits
Major Leagues

Quote:
Hi, I know you guys are hard at work developing the best game you possibly can for us, the fans. I made a comment soon after the game was released that this beat out my previous favorite hockey sim, EHM, by leaps and bounds, and I still feel that way even today. What you guys achieved with EHM3 cannot, and should not be taken lightly.
Hey, could you tell me what makes it better in your eyes? I'm just curious about what's being done right.

>> CZECH TIPSPORT EXTRALIGA MEGATHREAD
Spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Here's a few things that I think (well... hope) wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

1. Being able to save lineups as presets. Requested this before, but I think it would be managing the lineup a lot more efficient. This way, when an injured player comes back, you don't need to spend time restructuring the entire lineup and tactics, and can just instead revert to a previous preset. If a player is traded or not signed, then when you choose one of your saved lineups the spots those players were in would be empty. Honestly this would be the top thing I'd like to see in FHM 4, it would just make the game so much funner to play and less tedious. The work around is using a spreadsheet to remind you who played where, and what tactics they had, which is fine but also very time consuming.

2. When "playing" home games, a way to tell which lines the opposing coach is going to put on the ice before choosing your own lines. I'm not sure about other leagues, but this is how it works in the NHL (home team gets last change) and would add an element of strategy to actually enduring an entire game, which isn't the most exciting thing to do at the moment. Also, timeouts.

3. GM counter-offers. Probably more difficult to implement than my first item, but since GMs do send trade offers to begin with I'm thinking it's at least possible? Would make trading more realistic. When an NHL GM calls another, the second GM doesn't just say no, try again in a few days and hangs up the phone. Not sure if the game engine/AI is at that point yet, but if it is this would be an awesome feature.

4. 2D game engine. I unintentionally ordered my list by priority and difficulty apparently lol. Not to be a jerk, but actually "watching" games in FHM3 is boring. I don't expect a 2D engine, but I'd love to see one in FHM4. Not a deal breaker though, especially if more strategic line changes and timeouts are added.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirits View Post
Hey, could you tell me what makes it better in your eyes? I'm just curious about what's being done right.
I might be biased here but I think FHM in general has less of a learning curve and the UI just seems more... sleek? Intuitive? Idk. I tried to get into EHM, twice, and just couldn't. I'm not a newbie to hockey sims, or even Football Manager, but I like the "simplicity" of FHM3 (it isn't a simple game by any means, I just don't know a better word to use).

Also, and this is might sound petty to some, but FHM3 looks nicer than EHM. Since you are staring at a handful of screens 99.9999% of the time you play these games, that is important IMO. FHM3 is easier on my eyes at least.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:32 PM   #8
penguino2009
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I think there should be more in-depth trade negotiations. Currently it is *makes offer* *they won't accept* *improves offer* *they will accept*

I think there should be counter offers from the AI GMs if they don't quite like what is offered. I also think you should be able to inquire on players on other teams. Like "How much do you want for player X?" and the AI Gm will give an offer or say something like "never trading him sorry".

You should also be able to set team wants so that when you put a player on the block, AI gms will offer stuff geared towards the team wants. For example, if I put player A on the box and set my team wants to be a goalie, an AI team will offer a goalie for player A.

EDIT:

I also think there should be an effort to make the game a bit more realistic. In my save, the Penguins missed the playoffs in Year 1 with 78 points. I feel like that would never happen in real life, especially considering they are the defending Stanley Cup Champs. I checked their stats and they were injury free. It really killed the feel of the game for me. Also teams almost always have next to no OT losses. My team (Sabres) went 39-40-3. Several other teams had between 2-5 overtime losses. In real life most teams finish with 8-12 OT losses.

Last edited by penguino2009; 07-27-2017 at 02:43 PM.
penguino2009 is offline   Reply With Quote