Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:26 AM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

My ballpark quest: Going to Denver and Seattle this summer

I have been on a quest since 2014 -- the year I suffered a heart attack (doc told me to set goals for myself) -- to get to all of the Major League Baseball Ballparks.
I am down to Denver, Seattle and Miami, all of which I hope to visit this summer.
Denver and Seattle will be visited via flights from St. Louis. Probably midweek, attending two maybe three games.
Just looking for hints on where to stay, preferably within walking distance of the ballpark (don't plan to rent a car and want to limit Uber/taxi expenses), what to make sure I see at the ballpark and things to do in my downtime.
The Miami trip is different, my parents live in the Fort Myers area, so I will probably drive down from Ft. Myers for one game only.
From what I can tell, that's a park I just want to get off my checklist as it doesn't seem to be anything special and get out as there isn't much around it worth seeing in that vicinity.
Any help would be appreciated.
If you have any questions about any of the other parks, especially Busch Stadium in St. Louis, let me know.
I'll be glad to help.

Last edited by rink23; 04-30-2019 at 06:29 AM.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

fun quest. I'd like to try that someday

I've only been to St Louis and KC
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
joehart
All Star Starter

My ballpark quest: Going to Denver and Seattle this summer

Seattle has a Silver Cloud Hotel that is right near the two stadiums (century link football stadium and T-Mobile park).
That is probably the closest in terms of just walking to the stadium.
However, there are also a few more hotels as you get closer to the city center that are still in a longer walking distance.

I have stayed at the Silver Cloud before for some football games to avoid having to drive back home. It was convenient but a bit pricey.

The two stadiums are right off freeway 90 so it is actually very easy to get in and out of the Parking garage that is next to the stadium. So you can get a hotel somewhere else and just drive to T-Mobile park.
I would give myself lots of time and arrive very early though before traffic starts to get really bad.
There are a few ways to get around that but it is a bit long to explain.

If you have club level tickets (200s), you can enter the stadium from the parking garage which makes it very convenient.

In case you end up here on a cold or windy day, club level is also closed up and has window seating so you don’t have to be cold. Don’t worry about rain...if it rains, they will move the sliding roof back over the stadium.

Personally, I like the food options on that level (Fish and Chips left field) and you can also order from your seats.
200 level tickets essentially allow you to roam the stadium and go to the other levels so you can view the pitchers warm up and have a cold draft in the outfield before the game starts.
We usually make a circle...start near 206, head towards right field, down a level, and then all around the outfield (watch pitchers, or get a ball from batting practice) before walking towards left field (store and limited team museum), before taking escalator back up to 200 level for more food in left field.

Tickets will probably run between 45-80 during the week for most games.
They also have an area that offers free buffet on the suite level but the tickets are more expensive (Called All-Star tickets).
Essentially, they converted a few suites to a larger suite and added a buffer stadium with food.

If you have other questions or need any help, feel free to drop me a PM. We have been season ticket holders for all the teams here for quite a few years.

If you come here in August and enjoy soccer, you can watch the Sounders play Dortmund (from the Bundesliga) in a friendly match.

During some weekends, you can do both on a single day. First catch a soccer game and then walk across the street to watch baseball. They keep the two events within 2-3 hrs from each other.

We have also brought in some baseball fans in the past to join us in a suite (free food and drinks) but we have not locked down dates for the summer yet so I can’t extend that offer yet.

Seattle is very low key when it comes to fans from other areas. They have made it very family friendly and safe.
Enjoy it while you are here.

If you are here for a few games, I suggest you get tickets in a few different areas to see which ones you like best.

Last edited by joehart; 04-30-2019 at 04:18 PM.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Ideally, if money was no object, I would say that best thing to do in terms of Denver and Coors Field is to fly into Denver International Airport, take the A-line (light rail train) from the airport to Union Station downtown, and stay right there in the Crawford Hotel in Union Station a few blocks from Coors Field.
Union Station was renovated in the last few years and is beautiful and fun- a real hub of activity in the LoDo (Lower Downtown) area of Denver. The Crawford looks very nice, and according to google is about $260 per night. There would be less expensive options within walking distance of Coors but not a great deal less expensive, that I know of. Looks like there might be at least one not too far from the park with an average nightly cost of $135 if you stay more than one night. (The indication is that the Crawford would only drop down to about $230 per night for multi-night stay.)

It's a vibrant area of town with plenty of food and drink options, a great independent book store (full disclosure, I used to be employed by the Tattered Cover- the bookstore I speak of), good coffee shops, etc. Mostly a bit upscale but if you are a little adventurous I recommend eating at Zoe Ma Ma for reasonably priced Chinese street food. Plus, if pub food is more your style you will find plenty of options nearby.

As for Coors Field itself, I really don't think you can go wrong no matter where you sit. Sitting up higher in the cheap seats just means you get a better view of the sunset and the mountains if the game isn't that riveting. But in my experience Coors isn't that expensive and you can get decent seats for a reasonable amount of money. I haven't experienced any fantastic food at the park. Maybe someone else has recommendations, but in my experience it's all pretty standard fare.

Other than some drunken late night/early morning fights involving young men, I've always found this area to be quite safe and low on drama, of the bad sort anyway. (I mean, I guess it used to be quite dangerous, but those days are far in the past now.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I was able to attend a game in Seattle last summer following a cruise. We stayed at the Silver Cloud Hotel(mentioned above). Really nice hotel, too expensive, but nice. Hotels in Seattle seem way too expensive in general. The entrance to the hotel is directly across the street from the left field ticket windows and entrance. Really cool area with plenty to see and you're close to the Seattle Market as well. Once you get to Seattle Market you can hop on the monorail deal for next to nothing and get to the Space Needle area in minutes. Oh and Uber to and from airport was a breeze. Luckily we arrived and left during non rush hour periods.

Last edited by David Watts; 05-02-2019 at 01:51 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Down near the stadiums is the entrance to the Underground Seattle tours. Well worth it if you have some time.

http://www.undergroundtour.com/
Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
Seattle has a Silver Cloud Hotel that is right near the two stadiums (century link football stadium and T-Mobile park).
That is probably the closest in terms of just walking to the stadium.
However, there are also a few more hotels as you get closer to the city center that are still in a longer walking distance.

I have stayed at the Silver Cloud before for some football games to avoid having to drive back home. It was convenient but a bit pricey.

The two stadiums are right off freeway 90 so it is actually very easy to get in and out of the Parking garage that is next to the stadium. So you can get a hotel somewhere else and just drive to T-Mobile park.
I would give myself lots of time and arrive very early though before traffic starts to get really bad.
There are a few ways to get around that but it is a bit long to explain.

If you have club level tickets (200s), you can enter the stadium from the parking garage which makes it very convenient.

In case you end up here on a cold or windy day, club level is also closed up and has window seating so you don’t have to be cold. Don’t worry about rain...if it rains, they will move the sliding roof back over the stadium.

Personally, I like the food options on that level (Fish and Chips left field) and you can also order from your seats.
200 level tickets essentially allow you to roam the stadium and go to the other levels so you can view the pitchers warm up and have a cold draft in the outfield before the game starts.
We usually make a circle...start near 206, head towards right field, down a level, and then all around the outfield (watch pitchers, or get a ball from batting practice) before walking towards left field (store and limited team museum), before taking escalator back up to 200 level for more food in left field.

Tickets will probably run between 45-80 during the week for most games.
They also have an area that offers free buffet on the suite level but the tickets are more expensive (Called All-Star tickets).
Essentially, they converted a few suites to a larger suite and added a buffer stadium with food.

If you have other questions or need any help, feel free to drop me a PM. We have been season ticket holders for all the teams here for quite a few years.

If you come here in August and enjoy soccer, you can watch the Sounders play Dortmund (from the Bundesliga) in a friendly match.

During some weekends, you can do both on a single day. First catch a soccer game and then walk across the street to watch baseball. They keep the two events within 2-3 hrs from each other.

We have also brought in some baseball fans in the past to join us in a suite (free food and drinks) but we have not locked down dates for the summer yet so I can’t extend that offer yet.

Seattle is very low key when it comes to fans from other areas. They have made it very family friendly and safe.
Enjoy it while you are here.

If you are here for a few games, I suggest you get tickets in a few different areas to see which ones you like best.

I went to a Sporting KC soccer match once, and was in the section where the Sounders fans were. they were a pretty cool bunch, everyone in the section treated each other respectfully
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I was watching a Braves broadcast and the Braves announcing crew was saying they liked the Marlins park. It seemed to be good for families with a long concourse for walking that circles the entire interior of the stadium with lots of food options.

Plus if your visiting the park it means your in Miami which can never be a bad thing. It's a beautiful and fun city.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote