Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #41
JaBurns
All Star Starter

That trade setting works, thank you.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #42
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Are the Yankees done? Recent history says not necessarily

The New York Yankees are down three games to none to the Cincinnati Reds in the 1965 World Series. It will be a difficult task to come back from such a deficit but certainly not impossible - just ask both teams as three years ago the Yankees were up 3-0 on the Reds only to see Cincinnati roar back and win 4 straight to claim the crown.

Many of the same players were on the two clubs 3 years ago and the 1962 series really mirrored the first 3 games of this year's Fall Classic. It was Cincinnati bats that couldn't get going that time as New York won the first 3 contests by scores of 4-0, 2-1 and 4-0.

Game One of the '62 series saw Whitey Ford and a pair of relievers combine on a 1-hit shutout with Reds outfielder Rocky Colavito's lead-off single to start the second inning the only Cincinnati hit on the day. Key pinch-hits from Jose Pagan and Jess Duran helped New York plate two runs in each of the sixth and seventh innings to provide the margin of victory.

The Reds did get 6 hits in Game Two but their only run came on a Colavito rbi single in the 7th inning. Jess Duran had another pinch-hit rbi for New York, this one of the walkoff variety in the bottom of the ninth to give the Yankees a 2-1 victory and make a winner out of Jim Bouton in relief of Jim Bunning.

New York went up 3-0 in the series thanks to a 4-hit complete game effort from veteran Ray Herbert to outduel Reds ace Curt Simmons. Mickey Mantle drove in two runs as the Yankees claimed a 4-0 victory in the game.

The tide turned in game four as the Reds hitters finally broke out, scoring 13 times to thump Yankee starter Bill Stafford and two relievers in a 13-4 Reds win. Frank Robinson had 3 hits, all doubles, and drove in 5 runs to lead the Cincinnati charge.

Game Five was a nailbiter between Whitey Ford and Jim O'Toole. When the two starters left it was tied 2-2 but in the bottom of the 8th Reds outfielder Vada Pinson doubled home Cesar Tovar to put Cincinnati ahead 3-2. It would end that way and the series shifted back to New York with the Yankees leading 3 games to two but the momentum had clearly shifted towards the Reds.

The sixth game was one for the ages as Claude Osteen and Jim Bunning each went the distance. The only run of the contest came in the top of the first inning when Pinson's two out single scored Tommy Harper. The final would be 1-0 Reds and force a seventh game as Osteen pitched a 5-hit shutout while Yankees hurler Bunning surrendered just 5 hits.

After leading the series 3 games to none the Yankees now found themselves in a winner take all seventh game to decide the 1962 World Series Champion. As good a pitching duel as game six was, this one was even better. Curt Simmons got the start for the Reds and he allowed just 2 hits through 8 innings while the Yankees needed Ray Herbert, Whitey Ford and Dick Hall to get through 8 but they had also held the Reds scoreless on 2 hits.

We go to the ninth inning of the seventh game of the World Series in a scoreless tie. Cesar Tovar would greet new Yankee hurler Bill Stafford with a lead-off single and Tovar would steal second during Tommy Harper's at bat, that ended with Stafford getting a strikeout. After Frank Robinson was intentionally walked he and Tovar successfully executed a double-steal. The Yankees decided to put Vada Pinson on intentionally and go for the force play at home, which worked to perfection as Joe Gaines hit a grounder that allowed them to force Tovar at the plate.

It remained scoreless but the bases were loaded with Reds and there were 2 away. Johnny Edwards became the hero with a line shot single to move everyone up 90 feet and snap the tie. Pinch-hitter Ed Bailey followed with a single of his own to score two more and put Cincinnati up 3-0, ending Stafford's brief appearance. Jim Bouton came on and struck out Tony Perez to end the inning but the damage was certainly done. Simmons finished off the complete game shutout by retiring Norm Siebern, Mickey Mantle and Tom Tresh in order and the Reds stole the World Series after initially trailing 3 games to none.

So perhaps there is some small glimmer of hope for Yankee fans here in the 1965 series if they think back to their devasting loss of three years ago. Game Four is today.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #43
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Great immersion writing. Your baseball world comes alive through these narrations. Thanks!
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #44
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Great immersion writing. Your baseball world comes alive through these narrations. Thanks!
Keep meaning to ask Tiger Fan if he makes his living as a writer. Such a great thread.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #45
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. There are so many great stories hidden in a 65 year sim. All you have to do is take the time to look. For example, I knew the 1960 and 62 Workd Series each went 7 games but I had no idea the Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in ‘62 before checking box scores last night. I was looking to see how Mantle did to write about his current slump but I discovered a much better story on the Reds comeback.

I am not a writer but did take broadcasting many years ago in college and spent a few years in radio news/sports before realizing there was very little money in the career so I went into management, first in the financial services industry and now in agriculture. Among other things OOTP provides a nice outlet for me to relive my broadcasting days. I even find myself doing my news story on a text document like a beat writer while watching out games and sometimes even doing play-by-play in my head.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #46
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1965 WORLD SERIES: Game Four

Despite the fact the Yankees are still getting nothing from the middle of their batting order and Mickey Mantle is now 0-for-14 in the series, New York stayed alive with a 6-4 victory in Game Four. The Reds lead the series 3 games to one.

The hero for New York was 22 year old Frank Fernandez as the rookie hit a pinch-hit 3-run homer with 2 out in the bottom of the 8th in his first World Series plate appearance.

Here is the full story of Game Four:
Attached Images
Old 04-29-2018, 01:06 AM   #47
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Most of the minor leagues have completed their playoffs but after the Yankee Game 4 victory I noticed Game Seven in the International League was slated to be played that day between the Jacksonville Suns and the Syracuse Chiefs. The Chiefs, a Detroit Tiger farm club featuring Jim Northrup and Bobo Osborne, won the regular season title by 2 games over the Cardinals affiliate Jacksonville.

The Suns had overcome a 3 games to one deficit to force Game Seven and what caught my attention was the starting pitcher for Jacksonville would be a 20 year old lefthander by the name of Steve Carlton. Carlton had allowed just 2 hits in 8 innings of work in game three but took the loss by a 2-0 score.

I watched him pitch and he went 6 strong innings in game seven, fanning 5 while allowing 3 runs on 5 hits. His Suns won the game and the International League Series with an 8-4 victory. 35 year old outfielder Stan Palys, who played 138 major league games in real life, and 33 year old first baseman Bruce Crumpton homered to help the Suns to the victory and their second straight IL Title.

As for Carlton, it was his second straight title as well. He pitched one game in the 1964 International League Series, throwing a complete game 3-hit shutout. He started this season in AA Tulsa going 8-4 with 103 strikeouts in 119 innings before being promoted to Jacksonville. He was 5-3 with a 2.92 era in 10 starts for the Suns, fanning 69 in 74 innings.

Carlton is considered the 12th best major league prospect as of the beginning of the 1965 season.
Attached Images
Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #48
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Did not know that Nate Colbert was a CF prospect with the Cardinals organization. I remember him a power hitting lumbering 1B with the Padres..
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #49
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Did not know that Nate Colbert was a CF prospect with the Cardinals organization. I remember him a power hitting lumbering 1B with the Padres..
I could see him as a corner outfielder but certainly not a CF from what I remembered but we were both wrong.

Looking at baseball reference Colbert played 5 games in centerfield and 11 OF games total for Houston in 1968. He spent most of 1968 at AAA Oklahoma City and played 74 games in the outfield for that team, but it does not break down how many- if any were in CF. He also played some OF in the minors with Cardinals as an 18-19 year old before going to the Astros organization so I guess that is why he got a CF rating.

In the sim it looks like the Cardinals organization sees him as their centerfielder of the future as Don Mincher at first base is just 27 and had a decent year (.277,27,95) so Colbert's path there is likely blocked for a while. Ken Boyer (.337,19,73) is 34 years old so 3B might a future spot for Colbert. However, the Cardinals might also be looking at Arthur Deras as their third baseman of the future after the year the 19 year old put up as a teammate of Colbert's at Raleigh this season. Deras, who in real life got a couple of seasons at AAA, had a breakout season for Raleigh, batting .294 with 16 homers and 61 rbi's in 139 games.

As a side note you have to love the Cardinals pitching going forward with 29 year old Bob Gibson and 21 year old Denny McLain soon to be joined by 20 year old Steve Carlton.

As a second side note there is a bunch of talent in the Carolina League this year including Manny Sanguillen, Tony Horton as well as late call-ups from low A Hal McRae, Johnny Bench, Bernie Carbo and Bob Oliver. The top player in the league this season is 21 year old Red Sox corner infielder George Scott. The Winston-Salem Red Sox player led the Carolina League in homers (30) and rbi's (117) while batting .300.
Attached Images
Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #50
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Reds win 1965 world series!

The Cincinnati Reds won the World Series for the third time in franchise history and all three of those titles have been at the expense of the New York Yankees. Cincinnati also beat the Yankees in the 1960 and 1962 Fall Classics. Over the last 8 years the Reds have won 5 National League pennants. They were on the losing end of the 1963 series against Boston and 1958 when they lost to Detroit. Prior to 1958 the only other World Series appearances for the Reds came in 1940 when they lost to Cleveland and 1917 when the Chicago White Sox beat them.
Attached Images
Old 04-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #51
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

JIM GARBEFF

The rookie lefthander struck out Mickey Mantle, Curt Blefary and Frank Fernandez in his World Series debut, coming on in the bottom of the ninth inning to clinch the series for the Reds. In real-life it looks like the Milwaukee native played just one season of pro ball, joining the Reds organization after college ball at Northwestern. His numbers with Cedar Rapids look very good (5-5, 2.97 era with 124 K's and 38 walks in 100 innings) so I wonder why he never pitched beyond the one year of A ball.

I found little online about him other than his obituary which mentions Garbeff being 5th all-time in strikeouts for Northwestern at the time of his death in 2013 at the age of 71. A business major, he owned a custom home construction company. Other tidbits I discovered in my search is Garbeff was one of 4 Cedar Rapids Red Raiders to play in the 1964 Midwest League all-star game- the first such event for the league. Garbeff did not play in the game that his team - the North All-Stars - lost 6-3.

I found nothing to say why Garbeff did not pitch beyond his rookie minor league season but I did get sidetracked with an article about one of Garbeff's teammates from that original Midwest League all-star game.

LINK CURTIS

Apparently the all-star game did not have much meaning to Link Curtis, a teammate of Garbeff as I found the following article:

One of the links was missing in the Northern All-Stars’ attack here Sunday night as the South team, composed of players from Quad Cities, Burlington, Clinton, Decatur and Quincy, posted a 6-3 victory in the first Midwest League All-Star baseball game in history at Muny Stadium.

Conspicuous by his absence was Cedar Rapids outfielder Link Curtis, last year’s home run champion and author of 10 round trippers already this season. Curtis was slated to start in right field for the North team, composed of players from Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Dubuque, Fox Cities and Wisconsin Rapids, Curtis didn’t show.

The three other Raider All-Stars and manager Rollie Hemsley were on hand and all but relief acre Jim Garbeff saw action. Hemleys coached the entire game at first base. Outfielder Dick Rowe played the entire game in center but failed to get a hit in four trips. Billy Jack Stinchcomb, lanky right-hander, hurled 1 1/3 innings and fanned three, allowing only one infield hit.

Curtis, when reached at home by phone about 7 p.m. – half hour before the game was to start related the following excuse;

“We were supposed to meet at the (C.R.) ballpark at 4 o’clock to leave for Davenport. Jack Hutchinson (Raider’s first baseman) and I went for a ride in Jack’s car. We were driving around Lake Macbride and ran out of gas. By the time we got back they had already left.”

When asked why Hutchinson didn’t drive him down after the gassed up, Curtis said, “He had a date for Sunday night.” Dubuque’s Joe Taormina replaced Curtis in the North outfield and was one for three at the plate.

THE SIM LINK CURTIS
Curtis and Garbeff were not teammates in the sim. Curtis, a first baseman-outfielder began his career in the Reds organization in 1963. After splitting that season between Macon and Cedar Rapids he played the entire 1964 campaign with the Red Raiders, hitting .246 with 19 homers and 82 rbi's. He was released by the Reds in spring training 1965 but immediately signed with the Houston Astros organization. He spent all of this past season with the Amarillo Sonics where he led the last place club in homeruns with 14 and was second to Walt Williams in rbi's. He is listed as the 20th best prospect in the Astros system but really must be considered a long shot to make the major leagues. Williams, by the way, is ranked #4 in the Astros system behind Bob Watson, Don Wilson and Doug Rader.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 05-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #52
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Now that the 1965 season is over the next major event will be handing out the individual awards. Before that I wanted to take a look at the American League leaders in MVP and Cy Young Awards.

Mickey Mantle is looking for his 6th American League MVP. The 5 he currently owns leave him in third place behind Babe Ruth (8) and Ted Williams(7). As for the top pitcher award in the AL, Whitey Ford of the Yankees is a candidate to win the 6th of his career but even if he does win it, he will still be 2 back of Rube Waddell, who amassed a record 8 pitcher of the year awards (and 3 AL MVPs).

In the National League Rogers Hornsby leads with 7 MVP awards, two more than Honus Wagner and Nap Lajoie. Reds outfielder Frank Robinson has 4 to his credit and has a shot at winning his 5th this season. Former Giants great Christy Mathewson and ex-Red Pete Donohue are the leaders in Cy Young Awards with 4 each. There are 5 players tied with 3 including Hippo Vaughn, Eppa Rixey, Pat Malone, Robin Roberts and Warren Spahn.

Here is a brief look at the careers of some of them:

BABE RUTH

An 8-time American League MVP, Ruth never won a World Series. In fact, the only Series he participated in was in 1914 - his rookie year with the Red Sox - when he was 0-1 in 3 relief appearances as Boston fell in 7 games to Brooklyn. He ended up being a full time pitcher in all but his final year with the Red Sox and for most of his career with the New York Yankees, who acquired Ruth from Boston in exchange for Austin McHenry and Pat Malone at the end of the 1920 season.

Ruth's offensive numbers did not live up to history because for much of his career he would be limited to around 120 games a season as split his time between the mound and the outfield. His greatest offensive year came in 1928 when he hit 41 homers and drove in 104 runs while batting .257 for the Yankees. Final offensive numbers for Ruth were 2502 games played, 411 homeruns and 2399 career hits. He played just 1 more game in real life than in the sim where he of course had 714 homers to go with 2174 hits.

As a pitcher the real life Ruth was 94-46 with a 2.28 era while in the sim he finished with a 182-139 career record including a pair of twenty-win seasons. He retired at the age of 40 following the 1935 season and was a first ballot Hall of Famer in 1941 being enshrined alongside Hack Wilson and Charlie Hollocher that year.

ROGERS HORNSBY

Like Ruth, Hornsby was a first ballot Hall of Famer and was inducted the year before Ruth as the only member of his 1940 HOF class. Hornsby's entire major league career was spent with the St Louis Cardinals with whom he won 3 World Series titles. He appeared in 23 World Series games, batting .415 with 2 homers and 13 rbi's.

To go with 7 National League MVP's, Hornsby also claimed 2 World Series MVP awards, was rookie of the year in 1915, earned a gold glove at second base in 1928 and claimed 14 Silver Slugger awards as a second baseman.

Hornsby's 3235 career hits place him 14th all time and his 1923 season is considered the greatest offensive effort of all-time when Hornsby hit a record .457 that year with a slugging percentage of .753 that is also still a record. He holds the record for hits in a season but that came in 1922 when he had 258 base hits. Hornsby's .355 career batting average trails only Willie Keeler (.369) and Ty Cobb (.357).

He retired following the 1932 season, in which he hit just .049 in 18 games and was bothered by injuries. He came out of retirement 2 years later and played 3 seasons in the minor leagues, primarily as a first baseman.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 05-02-2018, 01:15 AM   #53
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

TED WILLIAMS

With no wars to interupt the prime of his career in this universe, a strong arguement can be made that Ted Williams was the greatest to ever play the game. The list of accolades is practically endless: 7 AL MVP awards, 1 World Series MVP, 3 time World Series winner, 21 times named to the American League all-star team. Career MLB leader in homeruns (726), on base percentage (.469), Runs scored (2500), RBI's (2518), 3 triple crowns and 10 American League batting titles.

Signed by his hometown San Diego Padres as a 17 year old in 1936, Williams played just two games in the PCL, going 3-for-7 with a homerun, before being invited to spring training by the Boston Red Sox, who had a working agreement with the Padres at the time. Williams made the team out of camp as a 17 year old. He only started 30 games for Boston that season but showed signs of things to come with a .310 batting average.

Williams would go on to be a fixture in the Boston outfield for over two decades, helping the Red Sox to 4 American League Pennants and 3 World Series titles. He arrived on the scene at the peak for the Red Sox, joining them as a 17 year old for the third of 4 consecutive World Championships - the first four in franchise history. He was named MVP of the 1937 series but it was likely the final championship of Williams career that he would be most proud of.

That one came in 1946 and came after two straight second place finishes behind Cleveland. The Indians won 4 pennants in 5 years and dominated the American League of the mid-1940's but Williams' 1946 season, when he won the third triple crown of his career, helped the Red Sox break up not only Cleveland's streak of 4 pennants in 5 years but also ended a run of 5 straight World Series titles for the St Louis Cardinals.

The Cardinals were heavily favoured but Boston won the first two games of the series at home in convincing fashion, by scores of 9-2 and 8-2. However, St Louis rebounded with a pair of 1-run wins at home to even things up, setting the stage for a pivotal fifth game. Williams, who would hit .320 with 3 homers and 12 rbi's in the series, picked game five as his time to shine. The 27 year old started the Red Sox off with a 2-run homer in the first inning and would add 3 more rbi's and score two more runs to lead Boston to a 14-4 thrashing of the hometown Cardinals. Boston would need 11 innings to win Game Six by a 4-3 score and take the series with Williams playing a key role in that contest as well, driving in the tying run to force extras. Teammate Phil Masi (.481,0,6) would get the Series MVP over Williams (.320,3,12) but there is little question Williams carried the Red Sox, especially in the big game five victory.

The Williams led Red Sox would never get back to the World Series, although they had a couple of close calls including 1957 when they lost in a 3-team playoff to decide the American League pennant.

Williams did not finish his major league career in Boston as the Red Sox in 1961, needing to make room for a number of young outfielders including Don Buford and Lou Clinton and with Carl Yastremski taking over as the face of the franchise, dealt Williams mid-season to the expansion Washington Senators in exchange for 36 year old pitcher Hal Brown, who had been nabbed by the Senators from Boston the previous fall in the expansion draft.

Williams would appear in just 10 games for the Senators in his month with the club. He went 2-for-8 before abruptly retiring at the end of August. He did score his milestone 2500th career run with Washington and the final at bat of his career was a pinch-hit ground out in the fifth inning of a 12-10 loss to the White Sox. By the way, his first major league was a double and came in his first plate appearance, as a pinch-hitter in a 5-2 loss to Philadelphia in April 1937. Jim Weaver was the opposing pitcher.

Williams will be a certain first ballot Hall of Famer when he is eligible in 1967.
Attached Images
Old 05-02-2018, 01:55 AM   #54
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Reds- Dodgers trade

Back to the present (well, 1965) I just finished writing about Ted Williams and his major league debut at the tender age of 17. It looks like the World Champion Cincinnati Reds may be clearing the way for another teenager to make the majors. The Reds top prospect is catcher Johnny Bench, who won't turn 18 until December, and is coming off a great rookie pro season that saw him hit .284 with 20 homers and 70 rbi's in 108 games for the Pennisula Grays of the Carolina League.

The Reds number one prospect, and 9th overall in MLB, Bench just saw his path to the majors open up after Cincinnati dealt catcher Johnny Edwards to the Los Angeles Dodgers less than a week after winning the World Series. Edwards, 27, has been the Reds starting catcher the past four seasons but missed two months this year with a variety of injuries. An all-star in 1964 and a gold glove winner the previous year, Edwards still managed to hit .289 in his 83 games even with the injuries but he was just 3-for-17 (.059) in 5 World Series games.

With the trading of Edwards the only real competition for Bench comes from 27 year old Don Pavletich. Pavletich spent 8 years in the minors before making his major league debut with 3 games in September of 1964. He was the Reds full-time back up to Edwards as a rookie this past season and fared quite well, batting .322 with 11 homers and 40 rbi's in 77 games. Unless they make another deal the only catchers even close to be major league ready aside from Pavelitch and prospect Bench are 29 year old Jesse Gonder, who has played a handful of games for the Reds each of the past half dozen years or long-time minor leaguer Jimmie Coker, who hit just .178 at San Diego of the PCL this year.

In return for Edwards, the Reds get 23 year old third base prospect Ken McMullan and 28 year old reliever Joe Grzenda. Grzenda spent most of this past season with the AAA Spokane Indians, where he was 3-4 with 14 saves in 39 appearances but he did also pitch briefly for the Dodgers. McMullan started the season in the California League but was promoted to AA Albuquerque where he hit .312 in 27 games and earned a September call-up by the Dodgers, with whom he was 4-for-16 with 2 homers.

The Reds have McMullan penciled in as their everyday third baseman which will mean Cesar Tovar will shift to shortstop and Leo Cardenas becomes a bench player. Tovar is much better suited for second base or the outfield but the Reds already have 24 year old Pete Rose at second and a tremendous outfield of Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson and Jim Wynn. It is also a surprise the Dodgers would send McMullan to their bitter rival over the past few years, although LA did need an upgrade at catcher.

If Bench makes the Reds out of spring training he might be one of two 18 year olds on the roster. Pitcher Gary Nolan, a 17 year old from Oroville, California is tabbed as the Reds number two starter despite the fact that he pitched high school ball this season.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 05-02-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #55
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I think Don Pavletich would be pretty happy to hear that he was a competitor with Johnny Bench, or even to be in the same conversation with him !
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #56
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1965 GOLD GLOVE WINNERS

In addition to having 3073 career hits and six World Series rings, Hall of Fame infielder Charlie Hollocher holds the major league record for gold gloves won with 11. Starting in 1920 the Philadephia Phillies great won 6 straight gold gloves at shortstop before he was shifted to third base in 1926 to make room for rookie Lyn Lary. Hollocher would win 5 more at the hot corner before retiring in 1935 at the age of 35. He is also one of the few major leaguers to never spend a day in the minors.

Here are Hollocher's career numbers and also the list of 1965 Gold Glove winners. Pittsburgh second baseman Bill Mazeroski tops this year's winners as he claimed the 6th gold glove of his career. Other multi-year winners in the National League are Willie Davis (4th), Ray Culp (3rd) and Vada Pinson (2nd). Minnesota catcher Elston Howard tops American League winners in claiming his 4th career gold glove. Mickey Mantle, Camilo Pascual and Zoilo Versalles each won their second gold glove award.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 05-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #57
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1965 award winners

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AWARD WINNERS

It is hard to find a better pair of rookie of the year award winners than what we got in 1965. The National League award went to Don Sutton after the 20 year old Dodger newcomer went 14-10 with a 2.80 era while top honors in the American League were presented to Boston Red Sox shortstop Rico Petrocelli. The 22 year old infielder finished 3rd in the American League with a .338 average while belting 22 homers and driving in 96 runs.

Sutton was an unanimous choice with 20 first place votes. John Briggs of Philadelphia (.255,14,47) finished second in National League voting while Houston's Bob Watson (.245,9,47) finished thrid. Petrocelli received 14 of 20 first place votes in the American League rookie race. Detroit's Vic Davalillo (.313,8,54) grabbed the other first place votes and finished second overall as a 28 year old rookie while Jack Hiatt (.266,8,45) of California came in third.

Sutton came straight to the Dodgers out of community college in Florida as a 20 year old. He made the Dodgers out of spring training and played the entire season in the major leagues. Unlike Sutton, Petrocelli needed 3 years seasoning in the Red Sox minor league system before making the big leagues for the first time this year at the age of 21. A Brooklyn native, Petrocelli signed with the Red Sox as an 18 year old and played 113 games at Olean while batting .328 that summer. He split the following seasons between Wellsville of the NY-Penn League and Class A Winston-Salem hitting .353 in 75 games in the Carolina League. The 1964 season saw Petrocelli hit .361 in 86 games at Winston-Salem before finishing the year with 26 games at High A Waterloo. He was ranked the 14th best prospect in baseball coming into this season.

CY YOUNG WINNERS

We had a pair of first time winners in Cy Young voting.

It came as little surprise that Cincinnati pitcher Jim Maloney was named the winner of the National League Cy Young Award. All the 25 year old did was go 22-4 with a 1.95 era this season. He made 35 starts, pitching 259 innings while fanning 266 and allowing 74 walks. Teams batted .192 against him.

Bob Veale (19-3, 1.36) of Pittsburgh finished second in the voting while Dodgers star Sandy Koufax (19-9, 2.59) came in third.

The American League award went to 23 year old Cleveland lefthander Sam McDowell, who is a real feel-good story after missing almost 2 full seasons with arm troubles. The blossoming hurler compiled a 19-7 record in 35 starts. He tallied 289 strikeouts in 242 inning and posted a 1.79 era to win the pitching triple crown. McDowell was first on 19 of the 20 ballots. Yankee teammates Jim Bunning (15-8) and Whitey Ford (19-7) finished second and third.

This was McDowell's first full-season the major leagues and seems to indicate he is fully recovered from injuries that cost him more than 2 years of his career. He has quite a story that began with him breaking in with Lakeland of the Florida State League as a 17 year old in 1960. He made just 4 starts for Lakeland but one of them was a no-hitter. He would be promoted twice and finish the 1960 season by going 7-3 for Mobile of the Southern Association.

The following year as an 18 year old in 1961 he pitched for 3 different teams in the Indians system including 13 more games at AA and threw 6 complete game shutouts. He was named the #14 prospect in the game heading into the 1962 season. He began the year by going 3-0 with a 3.52 era and 22 k's in 23 innings at AA Charleston before getting promoted to the major league Indians. He made his major league debut for the Indians, pitching 1 scoreless inning but he also suffered his first serious injury - a shoulder issue that shut him down for the season.

McDowell was ready to go the following spring and was now ranked the #4 prospect in the game. He had a strong camp and headed north with the Indians to start the season. He made his first major league start on April 10, 1963 against Washington, going 7 plus innings in a 4-3 win but he did not factor in the decision. It was a great outing for McDowell, who fanned 11 Senators in the contest and allowed 3 runs on 3 hits. McDowell would get another start 5 days later against Chicago. He allowed just 1 earned run in 6 and a third innings but ended up with another no decision in a 3-2 loss. Between April 15th and May 19th he pitched just twice in relief due to nagging arm troubles. The Indians finally gave him his third start of his career on May 19th against Baltimore. McDowell would last just an inning and a third before he heard something pop in his elbow. His day was done and so was his season.

The result was a torn flexor tendon and the diagnosis was he would be out until spring training the following year. It turned out he did not return for nearly two years as the recovery did not go as planned and surgery was required forcing McDowell to miss the entire 1964 season.

This spring he pitched for the first time in nearly two years and had another great training camp, fanning 25 in 20 innings and posting a 1.35 era. He joined the Indians rotation and did not miss a start, making the all-star team and striking out 3 of the 5 batters he faced. The year culminated with a Cy Young Award.
Attached Images
Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #58
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

MANTLE WINS AL MVP

For the sixth time in his career Mickey Mantle was named the American League MVP. The 33 year old helped the New York Yankees to the American League pennant by hitting .309 with 37 homers and 112 rbi's in 155 games. Mantle also won the second gold glove of his career after a stellar 1965 campaign that ended in dissappointment as he, like many of his Yankee teammates, struggled in the World Series against Cincinnati.

Mantle received 14 first place votes out of a possible 20. Boston's Orlando Cepeda (.345,45,136) finished second in the balloting with Cleveland pitcher Sam McDowell coming in third.

STARGELL NAMED NL TOP PLAYER

Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Willie Stargell was selected as the Most Valuable Player in the National League after a dominant offensive season that saw the 25 year old narrowly miss winning the triple crown. Stargell led the National League in homeruns with 54, rbi's with 133, triples with 13, runs scored with 118 and slugging percentage at .692. His .343 batting average was less than .001 behind Cincinnati's Pete Rose for the league lead.

Stargell made his MLB debut with the Pirates in 1961 as a 21 year old and has been a starter for the past four seasons, with his offensive numbers steadily increasing each year. A pair of pitchers rounded out the top three in balloting as Pittsburgh teammate Bob Veale (19-3, 1.36) and Cincinnati's Jim Maloney (22-4, 1.95) finished second and third.
Attached Images
Old 05-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #59
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

After a quiet winter meetings period with virtually no activity going on I have now moved forward to the posting of the Hall of Fame ballot.

The next couple of posts will primarily be images as I listing the career stats of all of my Hall of Famers and also the voting history since the Hall was opened in this universe in 1932. (I know in real life it was 1936 but I just happened to check in on the game and pause it from quick simming everything in 1932 so figured it was as good a time as any to turn on the hall of fame).

You will notice in the ballot I will post shortly with the 1966 eligible candidates that there are plenty of old-timers. I set my hall of fame so that instead of a maximum 10 years on the ballot it was an unlimited time as long as they got at least 5% to stay on the ballot.

Now that I have stopped the quick sim and slowed things down I am also going to act as the veteran's committee and look at deserving Negro and Minor League players from the early days who would never have been considered for the Hall.

First, here is a list of the career stats of the 57 current members of the Hall of Fame and also the voting history. If there is anyone you want to know more about feel free to ask.
Attached Images
Old 05-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #60
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Here is the ballot with all players eligible for induction in 1966. I will look at some of them more closely in the next couple of posts.
Attached Images