Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Why?

tl,dr version: Why does the AI do this? It's stupid.

Name:  butler.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  110.7 KB

The AI thinks Billy Butler would be a nice fit, even though he is a DH in a non-DH league, and signs him to a guaranteed contract. Then, the AI realizes that it (a) doesn't have a spot for him on the active roster and (b) can't demote him. So he spends 7 days on DFA and is released. Ok, everybody makes a mistake once in while.

BUT THE MISTAKE IS REPEATED AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!! WHY?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

reductive reasoning: just turn on dh rule

clearly there's a lil loophole in the logic... defintitely pop a post into suggestions.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Yea, I think you should note this Orcin. It should be something that OOTPD can address in 19.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Curtis Borkholder strikes again!

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Curtis Borkholder strikes again!
Curtis was promoted/demoted, but yes a similar problem.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

just to play devil's advocate, the status quo could be a lesser of two evils as it is... and not to dissuade a bug post in that forum in any way.

there are situations when this behaviour would be 'okay' too. maybe not for you or me or anyone with good financial planning ability but, in the real MLB, who does that? they will be fired before they realize those repercussions for extremely short-term gains. why would they worry aobut such things so far in the future...

like 5 years is so long, like totally. who could possible plan ahead so far! omg, i'd have to think for a few minutes.. that's so hard. (valley girl accent). that's how i look at the sophistication level of MLB financial management of most teams, lol. (pfft.. nfl, nhl, mlb etc)

e.g. an NL team wiht tons of money and budget space just wants a power bat on the bench... more likely a L than a R, but wouldn't exclude them either.

thos players wiht absolutely no defensive position don't have a huge market. they are typically old etc.. or just incredibly inept in the field. even in the AL i think a lot of teams would choose a guy with 'some' defensive ability and slightly less offfense simply for the versatility on an already short positional bench. but, if they are a legitimate bomber (consistently good hitter with power), that gets thrown out the window for sure, i would guess.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-14-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
just to play devil's advocate, the status quo could be a lesser of two evils as it is...

there are situations when this behaviour would be 'okay' too. maybe not for you or me or anyone with good financial planning ability but, in the real MLB, who does that? they will be fired before they realize those repercussions for extremely short-term gains.

e.g. an NL team wiht tons of money and budget space just wants a power bat on the bench... more likely a L than a R, but wouldn't exclude them either.

If the team signed Butler because they wanted a good power bat on the bench, why wouldn't they keep that power bat on the bench instead of releasing him seven days later?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

haha, well... that may be a different decision

lol, i forgot about that part. nothing to see here...move along

... amnesia? is the GM ~80+ years old? maybe he's got advanced alzheimers like Reagen did for 6/8 years he was president of the USA. when he said, "i don't recall," over and over to question on the iran contra affair, he likely was not lying.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-14-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
mjj55409
All Star Starter

That's the easiest $5.5M Butler will ever make. And I like the way that Milwaukee even upped the ante in that last one.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #10
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Orcin as long as you've been around I'm sure you know that this used to be a fairly common issue that, for the most part, has been fixed or at least greatly curtailed. So I wonder, why your league and why now?

I notice in your screen shot that when he signed with Oakland and NY there are no dollar amounts, and it doesn't say a minor league contract, but now with Colorado and Milwaukee there is money on the table. Did you change financial settings? Is the league trying adjust or correct itself because of a change? Not saying the issue is acceptable even if this happened but looking more for the why it happened?

A thought came to me that maybe a final fix for this issue could be done using the player's mood. IE a player signed and released by a team in a very short time would trigger a "I don't want to play for your organization" response the same way a coach or scout won't sign with certain teams? I suppose a time frame could be set for "rest of season", a "year", or whatever before the player would consider this team again? Just spit-ballin' without giving it a lot of thought to possible downsides

Maybe Matt will see this and chime in?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
So I wonder, why your league and why now?
I have started several standard games and this happens in all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I notice in your screen shot that when he signed with Oakland and NY there are no dollar amounts, and it doesn't say a minor league contract...
That's the "pre-loaded" history. My league starts in 2017.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #12
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure someone'll weigh in. It's almost always a function of roster room and the AI gets confused. I want you, no there's not really room, no I want you, etc... It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens, often related to structure and/or limits. We'll figure it out.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #13
hluraven
Major Leagues

I've seen this repeatedly in every league I've ever played. DH only, no odd rules (or even any roster rules) beyond the MLB start.

Mine is a stats only league and it is exclusively with veterans who have faded. It's like the signing AI sees them as better than they are due to their career, and the roster AI sees them as not good enough. Is it the same AI calculations for both?
hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:17 AM   #14
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Well, I have just checked a few long term simulations, and I did not find such an incident for Butler. No clue why it happens for you Does it happen with other non-DH players, too?
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

No, only Butler. I have submitted a support ticket and uploaded the files.

Edit: could it be because I have checked "ratings based on players, not positions"?

Last edited by Orcin; 08-15-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 AM   #16
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

It's like the game is evaluating him as a DH, signing him, then realizing they don't have the DH, evaluating him as a 1B, and releasing him.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

It's not just DH's. FWIW, I started this file in 1969, so the DH rule would not be in effect. Plus this player was on a NL team anyway.

But these "signings and re-signings" went on for a solid month of game time!
Attached Images
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
The Game
Hall Of Famer

So did Butler get paid the whole $ 5,530,000?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #19
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Still seeing weird stuff like this... why release the player and then sign him again a week later?

Name:  papelbon.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  36.0 KB

P.S. This is a different game from the one with Butler above. I started this one five days ago with the latest patch. Butler was signed by Milwaukee but they played him at first base this time. I am wondering if the 'fix" was to give him a fielding rating at first base.

Last edited by Orcin; 09-01-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Still seeing weird stuff like this... why release the player and then sign him again a week later?

I think it's because the AI is programmed to make moves just to make moves. Like when the AI makes more trades as the trading deadline approaches. because that's how it happens in real life. How many transaction moves do real GMs make in a month? I think it's trying to simulate the number of moves real GMs make. When I play this game, I don't make near as many moves as the AI does, do you?

Last edited by bailey; 09-01-2017 at 07:47 PM.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote