Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

What's your favorite Historical season?

It was the first full season I can recall following MLB. Whenever I start a new league,all the teams are involved in one way or another in it's formation.

Plus it was the first year that I bought baseball cards.

I would like to purchase every issue of the Sporting News from that year but it's probably cost prohibitive.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 02-10-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
southsidefan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

1978... It was the first and only year I bought Avlon Hill's Statis Pro Baseball. 700 miniature player cards, charts and..... a game board of a baseball field! The card stock and print had a unique smell that I instantly liked everytime I played. I knew those players well. It was really a precursor, in my mind, to OOTP. I played multiple "seasons" with that 1978 card deck, trading players, managing all the games and keeping stats manually ..... until Micro-League.
southsidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

1986...baseball like it oughta be...the NY Mets

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidefan View Post
1978... It was the first and only year I bought Avlon Hill's Statis Pro Baseball. 700 miniature player cards, charts and..... a game board of a baseball field! The card stock and print had a unique smell that I instantly liked everytime I played. I knew those players well. It was really a precursor, in my mind, to OOTP. I played multiple "seasons" with that 1978 card deck, trading players, managing all the games and keeping stats manually ..... until Micro-League.
Same here only it was 1973 and the dice game was Extra Innings instead of status pro.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I agree with the OP... 1965. First draft, first year of the Astrodome...
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I'd have to say 1997, 2003, & 2009. '97 & '03 because the Fish won it all and 2009 because I bought my first season tickets and attended every game.

As a fan of the game I's have to say 1961. You have to love that one. Mantle, Maris, a home run chase for the ages.

I'd also say 1998 for the same reason but is lost it's shine for me with the whole steroids thing.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
1987 and the 13-0 Brewers ... but close behind is 1986. What an awesome post-season
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

1965 - even if it cost the Giants the pennant, who can forget Juan Marichal whacking Johnny Roseboro?
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
zappa1
All Star Starter

1965 for sure. Even the 1965 Topps cards were cool.

I started in 1964 a year earlier because I wanted to manage the powerful Minnesota Twins into 1965. This team could bomb the baseball, hit for average and pitch.

It's also the very first year I started following baseball and understood it.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

1964 is probably the best. Two tremendous races and Hall of Fame players everywhere you look, most of them having big seasons.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1985. Did a huge dream baseball trip that year: Yankee Stadium, Cleveland Stadium (a bit of a dump [although I must confess our stadia have not been much better in Toronto], but we managed to upgrade our seats to 3rd base line boxseats for no extra charge due to 6,280 people sitting in a cavernous 75,000ish seat stadium), Three Rivers Stadium, Veterans Stadium, Shea Stadium and Fenway Park all in six days. Awesome. Caught a foul ball during batting practice at Fenway and got a Standing O. According to those I was with, I turned beet red. Had a bruise on my palm for a while. An absolute screamer hit by Kirby Puckett I believe.

Then I returned and my team (the Blue Jays) was in a legit pennant race for the first time in their short history. They had flirted with pennant races the previous two years, but fizzled down the stretch. Not this time. I was at the clincher against the Yankees on October 5th, 1985, and the first ever playoff game against the Royals on October 8th, 1985. Sadly things didn't work out that year, but this then sixteen year old was hooked for life. Probably that season (more than any other) is responsible for me being an OOTP player.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-10-2017 at 08:31 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
Caporegime
All Star Starter

For sentimental reasons, 1976. That was the first year I developed any kind of baseball cognizance. I turned seven that summer and didn't fully understand the game yet, which in the mind of child, means he believes anything is possible. For example, I used to look at the back of baseball cards and wonder why players never had more home runs than RBI.

1994, the infamous "strike year", is also a year I have often enjoyed replaying. For certain, no Expos fan would be interested in hearing me or any other Yankee fan whine about how the strike deprived my team of a shot at winning a championship, but I'd be less than honest if I said the strike didn't leave a bitter bruise behind and a sense of unfinished business. Yeah, I know. You'd think the four WS titles the Yankees subsequently won between 1996-2000 would've mitigated those feelings somewhat. But at the risk of sounding like an inordinately greedy a-hole, the retrospective gestalt on that baby is that there should be 28 championship banners flying over Yankee Stadium, not 27.

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-10-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
1985. Did a huge dream baseball trip that year: Yankee Stadium, Cleveland Stadium (a bit of a dump [although I must confess our stadia have not been much better in Toronto], but we managed to upgrade our seats to 3rd base line boxseats for no extra charge due to 6,280 people sitting in a cavernous 75,000ish seat stadium), Three Rivers Stadium, Veterans Stadium, Shea Stadium and Fenway Park all in six days. Awesome. Caught a foul ball during batting practice at Fenway and got a Standing O. According to those I was with, I turned beet red. Had a bruise in my palm for a while. An absolute screamer hit by Kirby Puckett I believe.

Then I returned and my team (the Blue Jays) was in a legit pennant race for the first time in their short history. They had flirted with pennant races the previous two years, but fizzled down the stretch. Not this time. I was at the clincher against the Yankees on October 5th, 1985, and the first ever playoff game against the Royals on October 8th, 1985. Sadly things didn't work out that year, but this then sixteen year old was hooked for life. Probably that season (more than any other) is responsible for me being an OOTP player.
Wow! It sounds like you had an absolutely magical summer. I always dreamed of doing something similar.

......but my God, did you have to bring up 1985? We had Rickey Henderson, Don Mattingly and Dave Winfield, all in their respective primes, plus one last great hurrah from Ron Guidry (22-6) and the Emperor Diocletian's favorite pitcher (well, he wasn't that old ) Phil Niekro (16-12), and it still wasn't enough to knock the Jays off that magic carpet they were seemingly riding that entire summer.

As you can imagine, especially factoring in the breathtaking numbers Henderson & Mattingly posted, that year was one bitter pill for Yankee fans to swallow. The icing on the cake was that knock down, drag out fight between Billy Martin and Ed Whitson at season's end outside some sleazy motel bar in Balitmore, in which Whitson kicked Martin in the balls.

I bet you loved it!

Seriously, that Jays team was awesome. I would've given my right arm and my (in retrospect) poorly hidden collection of dirty magazines ( I was 16 too that year) for Dave Stieb. He was a bull.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories of that summer.

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-10-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #14
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Wow! It sounds like you had an absolutely magical summer. I always dreamed of doing something similar.

......but my God, did you have to bring up 1985? We had Rickey Henderson, Don Mattingly and Dave Winfield, all in their respective primes, plus one last great hurrah from Ron Guidry (22-6) and the Emperor Diocletian's favorite pitcher (well, he wasn't that old ) Phil Niekro (16-12), and it still wasn't enough to knock the Jays off that magic carpet they were seemingly riding that entire summer.

As you can imagine, especially factoring in the breathtaking numbers Henderson & Mattingly posted, that year was one bitter pill for Yankee fans to swallow. The icing on the cake was that knock down, drag out fight between Billy Martin and Ed Whitson at season's end outside some sleazy motel bar in Balitmore, in which Whitson kicked Martin in the balls.

I bet you loved it!

Seriously, that Jays team was awesome. I would've given my right arm and my (in retrospect) poorly hidden collection of dirty magazines ( I was 16 too that year) for Dave Stieb. He was a bull.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories of that summer.
I'd have given the AL MVP to Rickey Henderson that year. Mattingly drove in 145, which is remarkable, but Rickey was absolutely otherworldly: .314/.419/.516, with 146 runs scored in 143 games, and 80 SB and just 10 CS, and he played fantastic defense out of position in CF along with his always fantastic baserunning. Dude was a one man wrecking crew. George Brett and Wade Boggs were sensational as well. It was just a great year for baseball all around, and I'm only looking at the American League.

Dwight Gooden was absolutely ridunkulous in the National League in 1985, and from what I recall absolute must see TV. If you were lucky enough to catch a game with him pitching (they were fewer and further between in those days, particularly for those of us up here in Canada) you didn't change the channel. I thought for sure he and Darryl Strawberry were headed for the HoF, but sadly it was not meant to be.

Other highlights from the trip: Mike Marshall of the Dodgers hit a grand slam to LF off Jerry Koosman in the first inning of a 15-6 Dodger romp at the Vet that landed two seats to our right. My friend's dad was in the battle for the ball, but came up short. Pedro Guerrero said "Anything you can do, I can do better" to that one and hit an absolute moonshot off Larry Andersen that went into one of the decks above us. Fernando Valenzuela was the guy benefitting from all the run support that night.

One of the unfortunate baseball memories was watching Tim Lollar start twice for the Red Sox. He was turrible. He lost to your Yankees (and Phil Niekro) at Yankee Stadium 4-2 to open our trip. Brian Fisher (who pitched absolutely out of his mind that year) picked up the save for the Yanks, with help from Rich Bordi, Bob Shirley (who were also fantastic that year IIRC) and of course Dave "Rags" Righetti. He closed our trip with a 5-2 loss to Frank "Sweet Music" Viola and the Twins. You'll be happy to know that the Fenway natives were not happy. Quite miserable in fact (Standing O in batting practice aside). The Sawx were absolutely stumbling around at that point in the season (58-62, 5th place, 17 GB), and Boston was quite down on them as I remember it.

We saw the Jays in Cleveland in the great seats I mentioned in the previous post. Dave Stieb vs Tom Waddell. Why bother showing up? I guess that's why they play the games. Tom Waddell tossed the only goddamned complete game of his career in a 5-3 Indians win, which "elevated" the Indians to 39-78, and dropped our Jays to 73-45. WTF?

Speaking of Stieb, you're right, he was an absolute beast, particularly from 1980-1985. 38.8 bWAR in that six year span and 25.5 WAA. I don't know how many pitchers have put together six consecutive years like that, but I doubt it's many. Unfortunately, he couldn't sustain it. Perhaps it was the 1,524.2 IP in that span. That's an average of 254.0 IP for six seasons (and don't forget one of them was a strike season). It would never happen today, and it's a huge reason he absolutely flamed out in 1986, before getting it back together from 1988 through 1990.

On to Pittsburgh, and a great pitching matchup between a re-vitalized Rick "Big Daddy" Reuschel of the Pirates and Mario Soto of the Reds. Saw Dave Parker, then of the Reds, in BP. What a mountain of a man. BB-Ref tells me Pete Rose started that game at 1B as well. The Pirates were even worse than the Indians that year, and yet they came out on top 3-2 to go to 36-79. Poor ole Chuck Tanner was still managing the Pirates that year, which was a far cry from that "We Are Family" bunch of 1979. Philadelphia was the next stop, but I mentioned it was a blowout above, so let's move on to Shea shall we?

Mets/Giants at Shea. Terry Leach vs Vida Blue. Would you believe Terry Leach pitched one of the three complete game shutouts of his career (he only had 3 CG in his career) that night? A three hitter (three measly singles). Meanwhile the Mets laid a beatdown on Blue, who was in his second last year, and romped to a 7-0 win. Apparently, Strawberry launched a two run shot in the sixth off Blue.

That night we stayed at the home of one of The Four Lads, who is my friend's uncle. He came with us to both the Yankee game and the Met game. It was a nice break from the hotels (I don't know how the players do it honestly). Then it was off to Boston, which I've talked about already.

On the way home in the car, we listened to Dave Stieb going for another no-hitter that would end in tears. He had it through eight innings with three walks and seven strikeouts, but Rudy Law led off the ninth with his third HR of the season, followed by Bryan Little with his first HR of the season. Seriously? Really? Why? On came Gary Lavelle and served up Harold Baines' 11th HR of the season to make it 6-3. Fortunately, Lavelle and Henke were able to wriggle out of it and no more damage was done.

That weekend George Bell absolutely went off. The second game of a doubleheader on Friday night, he took Dave Wehrmeister into the CF bleachers at Comiskey Park. Saturday, he belted one on the LF roof off Tom Seaver, and Sunday he decided that wasn't enough, so he put another one on the LF roof off Floyd Bannister. I saw that one on TV. Whoa! Unfortunately, the Jays couldn't win the Sunday game and had to settle for a 3-1 series win instead of a sweep. It is a week of baseball that I will never, ever forget. It was amazing.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-10-2017 at 10:23 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #15
thorpegiovanni
All Star Reserve

2010. Relive the Giants victory
Old 02-11-2017, 04:09 AM   #16
KentCol
Minors (Triple A)

KentCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:34 AM   #17
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
Same here!

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #18
MightyVotto
Minors (Double A)

1990. The Wire-to-Wire Reds. The Nasty Boys. I still can't believe they actually swept the A's. Nobody thought they had a chance.

I've only done a quick replay of that season once in OOTP, and they didn't come close to repeating that performance.

The Reds are currently on a 9 game World Series winning streak!
MightyVotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #19
95Marinerschangedmylife
Minors (Double A)

I would have to go with 1986. Greatest playoffs of all time. Angels/Redsox and Astros/Mets, and then the World Series. Young Dwight Gooden and Roger Clemens. Second would be 1995 because the obvious.
95Marinerschangedmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

My boss at work says 1964. The year the Cardinals pulled it together after a miserable first half of the season to win the pennant.

I personally go much further back than most, if not all, the rest of you. I choose 1901. Christy Mathewson, enough said.

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote