Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
can you apply promotion/relegation to existing leagues?
Getting nervous since this has not been answered yet...

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #22
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault View Post
Getting nervous since this has not been answered yet...
I don't know for sure but I can't imagine why not.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #23
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
I don't know for sure but I can't imagine why not.
Thanks, this is THE big feature for me so I want to make sure!

Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #24
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
They'd have to be re-created, since internally we store them in a different structure. And as it stands now, they also would not be allowed to have any finances, or "own" any players of their own (and thus don't trade, sign players, etc...).

We may look to expand the capabilities over time, but it's currently designed mostly to have either short international tournaments, or winter leagues like the AFL.
One question that comes up, does development/injuries/morale etc. still happen in these tournament leagues? Just trying to figure out how close to a "real" league these will function.

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #25
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They'd have to be re-created, since internally we store them in a different structure. And as it stands now, they also would not be allowed to have any finances, or "own" any players of their own (and thus don't trade, sign players, etc...).

We may look to expand the capabilities over time, but it's currently designed mostly to have either short international tournaments, or winter leagues like the AFL.
What would have to be re-created? The leagues?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #26
tgreitsma
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
No, you cannot loan to any league, only to tournaments and "development leagues" (or "winter leagues" - we may keep playing around with the wording).
So wait....does this mean we can have the WBC in our MLB leagues? Theoretically?
tgreitsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #27
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreitsma View Post
So wait....does this mean we can have the WBC in our MLB leagues? Theoretically?
Yes.

Or at least something similar to the WBC as Matt mentions below.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 01-20-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #28
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Yes.
*The actual World Baseball Classic unfortunately we do not have a license for. However, we will have easy setups for a tournament that may be similar to it.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #29
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
What would have to be re-created? The leagues?
Yeah, if you had a previous league, you would essentially have to delete the old one and create a "new" development league in order to make use of the functionality.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
One question that comes up, does development/injuries/morale etc. still happen in these tournament leagues? Just trying to figure out how close to a "real" league these will function.
We're still narrowing down on what exactly will happen, but certainly injuries would still be possible. I believe in general we won't tend to impact morale (except perhaps to give morale boosts if the player is part of a team that advances or wins the tournament - no point in "penalizing" a player for playing on their national team even if they lose all their games!). I believe the current version will also let players who play in a development tournament be able to gain some more development experience from it, so that there's actually a point to sending your players to play in it!
Old 01-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #31
tgreitsma
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Yes.

Or at least something similar to the WBC as Matt mentions below.
Giggity <3
tgreitsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We're still narrowing down on what exactly will happen, but certainly injuries would still be possible. I believe in general we won't tend to impact morale (except perhaps to give morale boosts if the player is part of a team that advances or wins the tournament - no point in "penalizing" a player for playing on their national team even if they lose all their games!). I believe the current version will also let players who play in a development tournament be able to gain some more development experience from it, so that there's actually a point to sending your players to play in it!
I like the sound of all of that, thanks! I'll be curious to see how the numbers end up shaking out on these leagues but they're a great addition to the game.

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #33
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
You can sign on to be the GM of an AFL team and select the rosters yourself (or as commissioner you can always choose the rosters yourself). Or if not, then the game will select them.

I'm not sure on the second part of your question, but it's set up like the current one where each AFL team will draw from 5 MLB organizations.
Okay excellent so the game properly evaluates the top prospects and places them on AFL teams then runs a league.

This is music to my ears thank you for including this!

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #34
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

How will the promotion/relegation work in regards to the minor league teams under the parent club? They will move intact along with the parent club? All leagues would then need to have the same structure?

Old 01-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #35
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How will the promotion/relegation work in regards to the minor league teams under the parent club? They will move intact along with the parent club? All leagues would then need to have the same structure?
Strictly speaking, if you are mimicking the real-world leagues which do promotion/relegation, there are no minor leagues, at least, not as affiliated outfits to a major league parent. A club might have a development squad (think AZL or GCL), but that's it.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #36
ohv
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This is wonderful news. Great addition! I just was planning to start promotion&relegation league with ootp17 which is loosely based on "finnish baseball" system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pes%C3%A4pallo) which have 14-team first division, 12-team second division and big 3rd division. But i'll put that on hold until the release. So excited about this one.
ohv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #37
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Promotion/Relegation is definitely a cool addition, but it's such an alien concept to American sports and most American sports fans in general.

Can you imagine, for example, someone buying the Yankees for $3.5 billion, followed immediately by them having a crummy year and ending up in last place and then being "relegated" to AAA for the following season, where they would play such prestigious teams like the Syracuse Chiefs, Rochester Red Wings, and the Las Vegas 51s? Ticket sales would plummet, the fans would riot, and the owner's new $3.5 billion dollar toy would probably end up depreciating in value by 250%.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #38
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Can you imagine, for example, someone buying the Yankees for $3.5 billion, followed immediately by them having a crummy year and ending up in last place and then being "relegated" to AAA for the following season, where they would play such prestigious teams like the Syracuse Chiefs, Rochester Red Wings, and the Las Vegas 51s? Ticket sales would plummet, the fans would riot, and the owner's new $3.5 billion dollar toy would probably end up depreciating in value by 250%.
This is why financial considerations are hugely important to the feature. (Again, look at the Premier League for real-world reference.) I fear the game's financial model really isn't up to the task. Or at least, it'll work, but it'd more kludge than finesse.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #39
mp33
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

I ran a p/r game with minor leagues and while I had three different leagues for the majors, I ran one league for each minor league level. So the a League 1 Team's AAA squad could play a League 3 Team's AAA squad.

Played in an online league with p/r and they only had reserve squads.

I hope we get more details on the p/r soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Legacy Baseball League - Philadelphia Brewers
- former -
United States of Baseball - Houston Defenders
British Baseball Society - Northumbria 1530
mp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #40
Breich
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Will there be special cases for TV contracts when a team gets promoted/relegated? Currently our promo/relegation league has TV contracts to $0 because of the use case where a team locks up a TV contract in a higher league, tanks to a lower league, but still banks the better contract.
Breich is offline   Reply With Quote