Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Best way to start out?

I just got OOTP 16 today, and after loading the September 1st rosters, adding the all-in-one mod pack, playing half a season with my favorite team, the Reds, I have gotten a pretty good grasp of the game. I've played iOOTP and MLB Manager for a little over a year now, so I'm familiar with the essence of the game and could handle myself better than I imagine most newbies could. However, there is still a huge difference in the iOS version from the full version of OOTP 16, and I want to know what the best way to become familiar and really enjoy the game early on is. This is my first version of OOTP ever off of my phone, so there is definitely a lot to digest. How should I setup my team to get some quick enjoyment out of playing while at the same time adjusting to the learning curve? So far I just assigned myself as a GM and am in control of everything besides managerial roles and minor league lineups/rotation and minor league promotion/demotion. Should I cede some control to my assistant to focus on getting a grasp of the basics? Or should I just throw myself in there like I'm doing right now to learn on the job? Thanks for helping a newbie!
mac2298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

What you're doing is fine. If you want something more, i'd recommend going fictional.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Keep control of releasing/signing players. The first version I played, I let my managers in the minors do that, and they released a couple of players yet to develop, but ended up being stars for other teams within two years. I let "managers" set starters, rotation, and moves up and down within the minors - but not to release or sign players. That was when i had AAA-AA-A teams - now i play with just a AAA team - easier to control. I am playing semi historical from 1901 and am up to 1917. Just a thought to keep the prospects you want. Actually you can experiment and go back to a time you liked or before something went wrong with your changes. Just remember to back-up VERY OFTEN so you can restore. Have fun.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Fictional... just do it.

The best way to learn the depth of the game is to read the manual and poke around in the settings menus, along with reading the forum. Then just play and research whatever you don't understand as you go.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Fictional... just do it.

The best way to learn the depth of the game is to read the manual and poke around in the settings menus, along with reading the forum. Then just play and research whatever you don't understand as you go.
Thanks, super helpful. I'll check the manual out.

I've never been a fan of fictional leagues on iOS. I guess I just don't get the point of it. You're not familiar with the players, you lose the aspect of historical stats... I just never got into it. What's the appeal over starting a real game?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2298 View Post

I've never been a fan of fictional leagues on iOS. I guess I just don't get the point of it. You're not familiar with the players, you lose the aspect of historical stats... I just never got into it. What's the appeal over starting a real game?
Not being familiar creates the challenge of building that winning team.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2298 View Post

I used to be the same way. You'll become familiar and they will seem real to you pretty quickly.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Sounds good, thanks guys.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

My top 3 suggestions;

Fictional
Fictional
Fictional

I don't miss baseball after the WS 'cause I play all winter.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't miss baseball after the WS 'cause I play all winter.

Amen to that!!!! Bet we all do.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 10-28-2015 at 04:33 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
Clemente21PIT
Major Leagues

Best way to start out?

Fictional is hard on the mobile device because you don't get all the information and customization that you get on the desktop version. What I suggest is make a small league, sim a couple years for some history, and then take over a team. You learn who's who pretty quickly then and you can create fictional storylines in your head about different players and coaches. Another thing, customize the heck out of the game. Just toggle settings until you find something that works or interests you. Good luck!

Hopefully this can help you out a bit: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...al-worlds.html

And this: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ad.php?t=18175

Last edited by Clemente21PIT; 10-28-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Clemente21PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemente21PIT View Post
Fictional is hard on the mobile device because you don't get all the information and customization that you get on the desktop version. What I suggest is make a small league, sim a couple years for some history, and then take over a team. You learn who's who pretty quickly then and you can create fictional storylines in your head about different players and coaches. Another thing, customize the heck out of the game. Just toggle settings until you find something that works or interests you. Good luck!

Hopefully this can help you out a bit: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...al-worlds.html

And this: We Laughed, We Cried (long but worth it) - OOTP Developments Forums
That sounds great, thanks so much for the help!