Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
towerbooks3192
Minors (Single A)

Pre-ordered 18, still don't know how to play the game

I started with that fateful purchase of 14 on humble bundle and one thing led to another, I ended up supporting the devs by getting the game. By management game standards the game is really awesome. I had relative success playing a successful season finishing 2nd on a historical league with historical random rosters(helped me know some of the big names in baseball).

I plan to dive back in again however I lost my notes on what to look for in players and the hierarchy of how important a position was.

Any chance the veterans here can help me get back in to the game? A bit worried especially when I saw in the AMA that AI is going to be tougher so I will suck more in this game.
towerbooks3192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
rworth88
Minors (Double A)

Probably the best community of any game I've ever played, any question I've ever had has been answered so I'm sure you have all the support you need.
rworth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
towerbooks3192
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworth88 View Post
Probably the best community of any game I've ever played, any question I've ever had has been answered so I'm sure you have all the support you need.
Aye. These guys are the best. I will try to see if I can recover my notes when I tried to figure out this game. Most of the things in those notes were from guys here.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...e-noobies.html
Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
towerbooks3192
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Thank you so much. I was looking for something like that. I had a list of what ratings to look at from my old notes.

Any other beginner set-ups/options/tips that will help to easily get in to the game will be very welcome.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Some things I'd say...

#1: Ratings don't always tell the whole story. Ballpark factors may have an effect so be aware of that when trying to sign a free agent or trade for a player. If a guy who hit 40 HR is coming from a ballpark with a 1.20 HR Factor (1.00 = League Average say 26 HRs) and your ballpark has a HR Factor of say 0.88, don't expect a 40+ HR year from him. Same for pitchers which can also be vice versa e.g. lower ERA in a park under 1.00 vs. over 1.00.

#2: Rough baseball lineup theory from real life
--- Fastest Player is your Leadoff Man/#1 Hitter. 2nd Hitter = Your best BB/OBP guy or a guy like Wade Boggs who would hit a lot of Doubles/Triples (Gap Power). 3rd - 6th Hitters = Your big power hitters, best to worst. 7th Hitter = Serves as an extension of the 2nd Hitter, ideally a Gap Power guy who can drive in your big boppers. 8th Hitter/9th Hitter (if playing with the DH Rule) = essentially your Leadoff Hitter but weaker.

This is what many call the Traditional Lineup. Sabermetric (deeper in-depth baseball analytics) basically says you want the guys who get on base via BA or Walks (BB) aka Eye Rating to be hitting earlier in the lineup because they get more at-bats. Your leadoff hitter could get 600+ at-bats over a season, so why put in a guy who gets on base 31% of the time (.310) over a guy who gets on base say 38% of the time (.380). That gives your team a +7% in terms of potentially scoring a run.

#3: When playing out a game, you don't need to sim pitch by pitch. You can sim an entire at bat/pitching matchup. Main things as a manager to watch for are
- SP Energy. Once he starts getting tired, he gets hit more. This is when you want to warm up your Bullpen guys.
- The Closer usually is a 9th Inning pitcher with your team up by 1-3 runs (e.g. Closing out the game for a team win thus the name). Some strategists have claimed you should use him when it's a tight ballgame/big situation e.g. a tied game 2-2 in the 8th inning with 1 out and you have 1 opponent on base. These are considered high leverage situations, think of them as scenarios where you could win or lose a game.
- Your Leadoff Man/Speedster, you want a 70% Steal Rate over the season. Generally run him against SP with weak hold ratings or a Catcher with a weak arm rating (struggle to throw out runners). Also avoid trying to steal when your best hitters #3-#5 are hitting as you would limit a potential 2 runs (Home Run) to just 1 Run if he gets thrown out.

Last edited by DawnBTVS; 01-30-2017 at 12:27 PM.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnBTVS View Post
Wade Boggs

Dude can also put away the fried chicken and beer.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote