Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
djsatu
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Injury setting

Took the plunge yesterday and purchased my very first OOTP game. Awesome game so far with the mods and everything! How much of a difference is there in the game with the injury setting set at default (Normal) compared to High? Im a total sim guy and like playing my games as close to real life as possible.

Front Office Football 7, Football Manager 2016, EHM EA, BBCF, OOTP 16
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
Took the plunge yesterday and purchased my very first OOTP game. Awesome game so far with the mods and everything! How much of a difference is there in the game with the injury setting set at default (Normal) compared to High? Im a total sim guy and like playing my games as close to real life as possible.
Just keep it at normal and look at the results. Injuries may not be as numerous as real life but tend to be more significant (my observation) at this setting. Keep in mind the "normal" setting can have a wide variation from year to year and team to team. The beauty of OOTP is that the game is limitless and repeatable. If you want more injuries just change it for the next season. You could also save and rename a backup of the original file and replay it with different settings on the same season.

Welcome to the OOTP fraternity. Always glad to see new victims er members. You really have no idea what is in store for you going forward.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)

The difference is noticable but not overwhelming IMO.

I have it set to "high" because I bought this game* to manage a team, not to just watch things happen.

*I haven't actually bought this game yet, am on OOTP 14, but you get the idea.
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Have always used the "high realistic" setting and have been happy with the way it works. Makes you build an organization with depth. Big part of the challenge is having to fill in the holes that injuries create.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
injury log
Hall Of Famer

On 'High', it will feel like there are a lot of injuries. It's actually realistic, but it feels a bit like a bloodbath, especially if you have a run of bad luck. If the idea of your ace SP and your top prospect both going under with torn UCLs during Spring Training does not sound like fun, you should probably choose 'Normal'. If you prefer the challenge of building a deep organization, and working around unexpected roster holes created by injury, then you'll probably like the High setting a lot.

I like the 'High' setting the best, but if you polled people here, I'd bet a majority would use 'Normal' or lower. The difference is definitely noticeable. On 'Low', there really aren't many injuries at all, so I wouldn't recommend that setting, based on what you posted.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
mmarra82
Major Leagues

So you find the injuries set at high to have too many significant injuries, losing guys for the year or career far too often?
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

For modern leagues I go with the highest injury setting, with the realistic setting, it seems I get more major injuries, but with the highest it seems I get much more dtd and 3 week injuries

If you see a certain injury popping up too much, you can always change the frequency of that injury in the injury.txt file

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
djsatu
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the input guys. Im gonna try high for now for the challenge.

Front Office Football 7, Football Manager 2016, EHM EA, BBCF, OOTP 16
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

I had started an MLB league after never using "Realistic Modern-Day Injuries" in any version thus far, and I thought they were far too much. It was a Tigers franchise, and before the first week ended Verlander, Kinsler, Jackson, Sanchez and Avila were all injured, with only Jackson set to miss less than a month.

I was doing it for challenge, but have always found the "Normal" setting works well for fictional leagues, and I generally use low for historicals.

I didn't think it seemed realistic, and I get plenty of day-to-day and minor injuries on normal. To each his own, I might have just hit a string of really bad luck -- but it seemed excessive to me.

I try to mix as high a challenge I can with as close of a realistic look at the league as I can... so I think we are very similar. You definitely will still be challenged on normal, but best of luck if you go to High!
Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82 View Post
So you find the injuries set at high to have too many significant injuries, losing guys for the year or career far too often?
This has been my experience. I WOULD play at the High setting, because I want to manage around injuries, but I've always found that, while the number of injuries is perfect for what I want, the severity of those injuries is far too high. I would expect one, possibly two players to go down for most of the season, with a bunch of other two-week or two-month injuries sprinkled in. But I swear I always had many more guys on the 60-day DL than the 15-day DL.

This is all anecdotal, and I have no way to tell if this is "realistic" or not, but it was enough to get me to switch back to the Normal injury setting. I've pushed in the past for two separate injury options - Injury Frequency and Injury Severity - that would allow you to play with a lot of injuries, but have most of them be short-term ones.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

I keep injuries at normal but edit the injuries file so that none of the injuries are career ending since it always seems like there are surprisingly many career ending injuries each season otherwise
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
I keep injuries at normal but edit the injuries file so that none of the injuries are career ending since it always seems like there are surprisingly many career ending injuries each season otherwise
Now, that's something that I don't see. I've played seven years of my latest league, and I've seen just two career-ending injuries. One to a mediocre talent, one to Stephen Strasburg (ouch).
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #13
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
I had started an MLB league after never using "Realistic Modern-Day Injuries" in any version thus far, and I thought they were far too much. It was a Tigers franchise, and before the first week ended Verlander, Kinsler, Jackson, Sanchez and Avila were all injured, with only Jackson set to miss less than a month.

I was doing it for challenge, but have always found the "Normal" setting works well for fictional leagues, and I generally use low for historicals.

I didn't think it seemed realistic, and I get plenty of day-to-day and minor injuries on normal. To each his own, I might have just hit a string of really bad luck -- but it seemed excessive to me.

I try to mix as high a challenge I can with as close of a realistic look at the league as I can... so I think we are very similar. You definitely will still be challenged on normal, but best of luck if you go to High!
Yes. Modern for modern, normal for fictional, and low for historical.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
This has been my experience. I WOULD play at the High setting, because I want to manage around injuries, but I've always found that, while the number of injuries is perfect for what I want, the severity of those injuries is far too high. I would expect one, possibly two players to go down for most of the season, with a bunch of other two-week or two-month injuries sprinkled in. But I swear I always had many more guys on the 60-day DL than the 15-day DL.

This is all anecdotal, and I have no way to tell if this is "realistic" or not, but it was enough to get me to switch back to the Normal injury setting. I've pushed in the past for two separate injury options - Injury Frequency and Injury Severity - that would allow you to play with a lot of injuries, but have most of them be short-term ones.
Tried high. Had all five starters down at one point. Not doing that ever again.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote