Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #21
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post

Fosh, I have no clue what that is
It's kind of a hybrid between a splitter and a changeup.The only pitcher known for throwing it (and, more importantly when it comes to pitches, using that name to describe it), is Mike Boddicker. So unless there's a big need to improve the game's accuracy when simulating results involving Mike Boddicker, I don't see much of a point on this one
tayloraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #22
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpipes5 View Post
They do sound one in the same. Pitchers don't throw screwballs in the big leagues or at any level much anymore, it puts a lot of strain on the elbow to get that reverse break and is a very unnatural motion for the arm/shoulder.
That's because P today are taught generic mechanics that place strain on the elbow.

Mike Marshall
Carl Hubbell
Christy Mathewson
Jim Brewer
Warren Spahn

Those are some healthy, durable P right there, they must have done something right. Marshall has actually come out and started a pitching technique that he said would minimize pitching injuries, I wish a team would give him the chance to try it.

Anyway, I'd like to see the darn 2 seam fastball in the game before a Shuuto
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #23
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
2 and four seamers are still both fastballs, plus the game has sinkers (2 seam) and fastball (4 seam).

The eephus isn't really a pitch anyone actually throws. It's just a trick pitch that gets thrown once every 10 years or so.

Slurve, I could see but all is slurve really is is a less than firm slider or too tight curve. So badly rated curves and sliders are pretty much slurves.

Rising fastball isn't a pitch. The ball can't actually rise for one thing, it'd violate the laws of physics. A "rising" fastball is really just a good fastball.

12-6 curve is still just a curve.

Vulcan change-up is just a change up.

Fosh, I have no clue what that is
True but in that case a Cutfastball is jut a slider with less break, Palmball is just a change up and Slitter and Forballs are pretty much the same.
But it's the little things, the slight change is direction or speed that make each pitch it's own.

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 04-25-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #24
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloraj View Post
It's kind of a hybrid between a splitter and a changeup.The only pitcher known for throwing it (and, more importantly when it comes to pitches, using that name to describe it), is Mike Boddicker. So unless there's a big need to improve the game's accuracy when simulating results involving Mike Boddicker, I don't see much of a point on this one
Very true only one did, but does not mean fictional players can't have it too

Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #25
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
That's because P today are taught generic mechanics that place strain on the elbow.

Mike Marshall
Carl Hubbell
Christy Mathewson
Jim Brewer
Warren Spahn

Those are some healthy, durable P right there, they must have done something right. Marshall has actually come out and started a pitching technique that he said would minimize pitching injuries, I wish a team would give him the chance to try it.

Anyway, I'd like to see the darn 2 seam fastball in the game before a Shuuto
Fernando for the most part was successful with it too. I just bottom out cause likely he lied about his age and was actually older than what he claimed when he for over here

Old 04-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #26
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #27
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Inches and speed changes is difference between a
Ground out or a pop out, a line drive and swing in a miss and home run and fly out.

We might think some of the pitches their difference might be small but those small Things make those difference. It's a game of inches, trying to a ball with bat, inches, movement and speed make a big difference

Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #28
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
To bad this does not show the if there's any difference between Fosh, Shuuto, Vulcan change-up, 12-6 curve ect and see if there's any difference in them compare to these ones

Last edited by Padreman; 04-25-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #29
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Yu Darvish's Filthy "Shuuto" from Tuesday - What is this pitch? - Beyond the Box Score

http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/gyro.html

Last edited by Padreman; 04-25-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
To bad this does not show the if there's any difference between Fosh, Shuuto, Vulcan change-up, 12-6 curve ect and see if there's any difference in them compare to these ones
Those aren't really considered distinct pitches.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #31
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Those aren't really considered distinct pitches.
I see but we should add the Slurve and Shuuto, others are just the same as other pitches different names for them then

Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #32
kopuz
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
The shuuto (シュート?) or shootball is a pitch commonly thrown by several right-handed Japanese pitchers such as Hiroki Kuroda, Noboru Akiyama, Kenjiro Kawasaki, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Yu Darvish[1] and Masumi Kuwata. The most renowned shuuto pitcher in history was Masaji Hiramatsu whose famous pitch was dubbed the razor shuuto because it seemed to "cut the air" when thrown.

The pitch is mainly designed to break down and in on right-handed batters, so as to prevent them from making solid contact with the ball. It can also be thrown to left-handers to keep them off balance. Good shuuto pitchers often break the bats of right-handed hitters because they usually get jammed when trying to swing at this pitch. It could be said that the shuuto has a somewhat similar break and purpose as the screwball, even though the latter is also meant to be primarily thrown at right-handed batters. If the shuuto pitch was thrown off the outside part of the plate, it would tail back over the outside border of the strike zone. Conversely, if it was thrown on the inside part of the plate, it would move even further inside.

The shuuto is often described in English as a "reverse slider", but this is not strictly the case, as the shuuto generally has more velocity and less break than a slider. The two-seam fastball, the sinker, or the screwball in differing degrees, will move down and in towards a right-handed batter when thrown, or in the opposite manner of a curveball and a slider.
I had never heard of either pitch till this thread. I just read this wiki myself. Now I want a pitcher with a 250 shuuto.
kopuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #33
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpipes5 View Post
They do sound one in the same. Pitchers don't throw screwballs in the big leagues or at any level much anymore, it puts a lot of strain on the elbow to get that reverse break and is a very unnatural motion for the arm/shoulder.
Myth.
"Both men said pronating the forearm does not increase stress on the elbow, compared with a fastball or curve."

When I think "screwball," I think "Tug McGraw." In all senses of the word ...
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #34
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

http://youtu.be/uW0V6OsxDBo
Eephus should be added

Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #35
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

After appearing in over 300 major league games, Rip Sewell gave up only one career home run off the Eephus, to Ted Williams in the 1946 All-Star Game. Williams challenged Sewell to throw the Eephus. Sewell obliged, and Williams fouled off the pitch. However, Sewell then announced that he was going to throw the pitch again, and Williams clobbered it for a home run. Years later, however, Williams admitted that he had been running towards the pitcher’s mound as he hit the ball, and photographs reveal that he was in fact a few feet in front of the batter’s box when he made contact.Since under Rule 6.06(a) of the Official Baseball Rules, a batter is out for illegal action when he hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter's box, Williams would have been out had it been spotted by the home plate umpire.

Bill "Spaceman" Lee threw an eephus referred to as the "Leephus," "spaceball," or "moon ball." Pitching for the Boston Red Sox in the Game 7 of the 1975 World Series, the Red Sox were up 3–0 when Lee threw three eephus pitches to Tony Pérez with a runner on base. The third resulted in a towering two-run home run and the Red Sox would go on to lose the game 4–3, costing them the chance for their first World Series championship since 1918.

Other pitchers known to have employed the Eephus pitch include: Pedro Borbón, Casey Fossum (called the Fossum Flip,Steve Hamilton of the New York Yankees (the folly floater); Liván Hernández, Phil Niekro; Orlando Hernández, Dave LaRoche (LaLob), Vicente Padilla (dubbed the soap bubble by Vin Scully),Satchel Paige, Pascual Perez (the Pascual Pitch), Kazuhito Tadano, Bob Tewksbury and Carlos Villanueva