Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
TanzKommandant
Minors (Single A)

Gay and lesbian acceptance for team executives

There seems to be a lot of pushback on the possible inclusion of this feature and I'm unsure why. If the gaming experience can be enhanced by adding more diversity within the game then why not allow it? Others say it's not important enough to have and other features would be more valuable to include. Why would the feature need to be in lieu of a different feature? Why couldn't they both exist?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

My question would be, in what portion of the game would it be included? Unless I'm missing something that declares them all straight, the executives currently have no known orientation, and thus for all we know plenty of them are LBBTQQA. What exactly would the feature entail?

That's not at all snark, either, I'm legitimately asking what you have in mind here.
Shame, shame on you

Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
TanzKommandant
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeachBum View Post
My question would be, in what portion of the game would it be included? Unless I'm missing something that declares them all straight, the executives currently have no known orientation, and thus for all we know plenty of them are LBBTQQA. What exactly would the feature entail?

That's not at all snark, either, I'm legitimately asking what you have in mind here.
That's a fair question. I suppose the idea is that we celebrate diversity in many other areas of the game. Minority coaches and executives and female involvement have been big topics for a while now. One would have to imagine if an openly gay coach or owner was involved it would be a major story. Having such an event pop up in game would add to the realism since there are news events throughout the season.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I say what's the point?! Let's just leave it at BASEBALL. Period. This is being asked to be included in the game then someone else will want religious acknowledgement put in the game then someone else will want something else. If gay people are in the game and we know it, fine. Let's just leave it there.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

This is the most pathetic topic I have ever seen on these boards. This is a game (simulation). This is about baseball not politics. Please leave this crap out of it. I will be disappointed if this topic isn't removed to the trash bin!!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzKommandant View Post
That's a fair question. I suppose the idea is that we celebrate diversity in many other areas of the game. Minority coaches and executives and female involvement have been big topics for a while now. One would have to imagine if an openly gay coach or owner was involved it would be a major story. Having such an event pop up in game would add to the realism since there are news events throughout the season.
Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, I could see a news story chain, with an adjustable earliest available date.

The potential problem I foresee there is one that's a matter of realism. If we want it to be realistic, then we'd have to have a Torii Hunter-style homophobic quote from some player (likely on another, unaffected team, because people tend to braver with their public words from afar). If we want to avoid such potential controversy, things look a tad utopian and we pretend the person in such circumstances would have no struggle. Both approaches have positives and negatives.

Another could possibly be the MLBPA licensing contract. I don't watch superhero flicks, so I can't recall which one it was, but the contract was leaked last year for the licensing of one of those for movies... and two of the clauses specified were that they couldn't hire a black actor or make the character gay. I have no idea how widespread such a clause would be, since I was surprised to find it existed at all.
Shame, shame on you

Old 04-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Gay owners and players already exist in the game. You have been told that at least ten times. Pull your head out.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupoke View Post
Gay owners and players already exist in the game. You have been told that at least ten times. Pull your head out.
Suddenly I'm feeling I might have missed part of this conversation, prior to this thread...
Shame, shame on you

Old 04-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
TanzKommandant
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
This is the most pathetic topic I have ever seen on these boards. This is a game (simulation). This is about baseball not politics. Please leave this crap out of it. I will be disappointed if this topic isn't removed to the trash bin!!
How is someone's sexual orientation a political issue? More importantly why does it cause you such anguish to consider having this included?
Old 04-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
ChromEagle
Minors (Triple A)

Or you could just do what I do sometimes and edit the news articles
Old 04-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Why can't everyone be included and just be quiet about it. If I had AIDS or cancer, I wouldn't be on here (or anywhere else) sounding off that the game should have an AIDS or cancer storyline!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Suddenly I'm feeling I might have missed part of this conversation, prior to this thread...
This is the second thread started. He took a beating when he tried to bash religion in an online league, so he is trying to redeem himself. Trolling is not supposed to be this hard. He needs to let trolling happen naturally instead of trying to force it.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

The only thing that would remotely make sense with regard to this issue is a couple of storylines with blurbs about something along those lines. There is really no need or reason for anything else to be considered.

Something along these lines;

The San Francisco Owner Died and his family and (Partner, husband, whatever) was by his side.........blah, blah blah

Other than that, someone's Personal Life choices has no business taking up any development time.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #14
ChromEagle
Minors (Triple A)

If this isn't a trolling thing, there's an option to create and edit your own news articles in the game. If it is a trolling thing, then...well...this will be my last post on this thread goodbye everyone
Old 04-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #15
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzKommandant View Post
How is someone's sexual orientation a political issue? More importantly why does it cause you such anguish to consider having this included?
Let's play two...Ernie Banks!! That is baseball.

That being said, don't go away mad, just go away...
Old 04-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #16
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromEagle View Post
If this isn't a trolling thing, there's an option to create and edit your own news articles in the game. If it is a trolling thing, then...well...this will be my last post on this thread goodbye everyone
It is Trolling, if it wasn't there would be a single thread in the "Suggestions for future versions" instead of what is now a 2nd thread designed soley to cause controversy!

And this will be my last feeding! I'll just sit back and watch yetr another thread get locked!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 04-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #17
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
The only thing that would remotely make sense with regard to this issue is a couple of storylines with blurbs about something along those lines. There is really no need or reason for anything else to be considered.

Something along these lines;

The San Francisco Owner Died and his family and (Partner, husband, whatever) was by his side.........blah, blah blah

Other than that, someone's Personal Life choices has no business taking up any development time.
That is what he mentioned above a storyline about a gay exec being hired. IIRC, those storylines are at least partly community written anyway, so we're not really talking about any devel time.

Were it done, it would need be done with a deft, thoughtful hand.

Having not seen for myself the other things mentioned by msuspoke, I'm unwilling to assume that this is or is not trolling.
Shame, shame on you

Old 04-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #18
msupoke
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Having not seen for myself the other things mentioned by msuspoke, I'm unwilling to assume that this is or is not trolling.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=276954

Here is the other thread. He gave up and refined his attack.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #19
msupoke
All Star Reserve

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=275266

Here is the thread where tried to pretend to be persecuted for not being religious by verbally attaching religious people.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #20
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

I'd have to agree that the only place in the game where this would make sense would be as a storyline. I've authored several of these and wouldn't mind composing one that featured a player or personnel "coming out", especially for fictional leagues. However, I agree that it could pose problems if applied to real players/executives. In fact, one has to be cautious when applying most storyline scenarios to real players, not just because the MLBPA or players themselves might be offended by them, but also because they can skew reality in a way that detracts from the game. That's why you don't want to have storylines in which a real player is dating real person. What if it's already common knowledge the player is married to someone else in real life, for example? It just comes across as awkward and unbelievable.

But if you're going so far as to suggest that any person in the game's sexual orientation be listed as if it were any other stat that is tracked, I would have to agree with others that this information seems irrelevant. That would be like listing every person's religion. And keep in mind that the only reason ethnicity is identified is in order to create realistic-looking Facegen renderings. Otherwise, that information would be inconsequential, as well.

Personally, I think the best option if you want to see mentions of LGBT players and personnel in the game would be to simply add your own storyline(s) to the database.

EDIT: Wow, several responses came in while I was typing mine. Sorry to have sounded like a copycat, LOL

Last edited by Muzamba; 04-09-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Closed Thread