Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Should i Extend This SP?
Yes 12 52.17%
No 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Should I Extend This Player?

Even at 35 he is a 5 star guy, still throwing 99-101. While I do plan on giving him $11.5 or the 5 years, i am unsure if i should bother. I have plenty of $$ but i am rather deep in minor league SP and have 4 SP under 26 on my ML roster,a though several are rookies. I fi were to contend it probably will not be until 2002.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Price isn't bad at all so I would resign him. If his skills crap out he's still a great leader so it's not a total loss.

I might see if he'll take a shorter deal. The vesting option in year 5 gives you a bit more security. I might try to change that to a team option.

Last edited by ihatenames; 12-12-2016 at 06:11 PM.
ihatenames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

I'd try to get it down to 3 years...might have to give up the option and make every year guaranteed, but it would probably be worth it. You need a great leader like that especially if your team is young and wants to contend in a year or two.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Did they get rid of the "injury history" rating? I was going to wait until 18, but I made an impulse buy of 17 the other day... and I didn't see that on the player page... Maybe that's a good thing as it will take away one of the "tells" I think that game had... which lead to my rule of thumb which is to never have a guy on the payroll past the age of 35 unless he had an "Iron Man" rating... I always found that guys with lower history ratings were much more prone to just fall off the cliff performance wise in their mid 30s... whether or not an actual major injury was involved.

Either way, I would likely let him walk at that age if I had prospects being blocked... unless I truly don't have anywhere better to put that money.

EDIT: Now my game is showing the "injury history" on the player pages... only thing I can think of was that I was originally browsing the league while unemployed... once I took a job, I think the injury history displayed... if that makes any sense.

Last edited by Nunyer; 12-12-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I think he has two excellent seasons left.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you have deep SP, then do not resign the 35 year old. if you get 1 good year that's a bonus, let alone 5. if he's shown any degredation in ratings, you need to get rid of him ASAP at that age... slap a qualifying offer on him, or use that as comparison for value of other posssible outcomes with this player on your team. when they fall apart during a season when you expect to depend on them, that's a big problem even if you have prospects on the cusp... if you expect him to be a #1-2, you can't replace that during a season easily or cheaply.

based on what you said anyway.... there are instances where it would be a good signing. if you have a very young team and have 4-5 years before it gets expensive, it's a nice insurance policy... and you can afford it if he ends up an expensive long reliever. even if you can afford it, this should be viewed as the lesser of the two choices.

i'm also assuming your other pitchers are underperforming compared to ratings/track record. it's only a handful of starts.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-14-2016 at 01:33 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

I'd trade him at the deadline for prospects or a better long-term solution. Someone will take him and you can get something good back.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
rj58
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andjbock View Post
I'd trade him at the deadline for prospects or a better long-term solution. Someone will take him and you can get something good back.
Pretty much this.

If you can't get a trade for him you can try to get him to agree to a year deal that would work also. After 35 for me all bets are off. If someone at that age wants more than a 1 year deal the answer is no. And really, given his good numbers its not the yearly salary, its the long term nature of the deal that is the sticking point.

I'm really just describing my strategy for dealing with this exact situation:

1. Trade first.
2. 1 year deal 2nd
3. Let him go free agent 3rd.
rj58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

I agree with the earlier posters, but 10/11 per for 3 with an option or something along those lines (year 3 option) would be a good deal for him.

First off 11 mil for a SP who just recently put up a 7 WAR season is an outstanding bargain. Secondly protect yourself at the end of the contract, and maybe frontload the first couple years and you're still getting the better end of the deal.

Hes too good for you to just let go, you have to get value for him and with a slightly shorter or frontloaded contract or even the deal that you have up here with maybe an option somewhere? I think is more than fair.

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

a 1/2 draft pick isn't nothing. definitely have to test a trade out to compare value. e.g. i'd rather have a pick than depth or some middling player in most cases.

he may be cheap, but it all depends on player salaries the next 3 years. the op sounds like he's got a cheap team for more than 3 years, too.

possibly regretful words - "this 10M won't be needed 3yrs from now" LoL

to all/any
if you're the type of person who approaches a cashier and cannot avoid buying little knick-knack sh^t at the counter, i'd suggest avoiding this impulse as much as possible, lol. you might do it the next 3 years and all of a sudden it's an extra 30-50M in year 3 you didn't account for.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-16-2016 at 07:09 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #11
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
a 1/2 draft pick isn't nothing. definitely have to test a trade out to compare value. e.g. i'd rather have a pick than depth or some middling player in most cases.

he may be cheap, but it all depends on player salaries the next 3 years. the op sounds like he's got a cheap team for more than 3 years, too.

possibly regretful words - "this 10M won't be needed 3yrs from now" LoL

to all/any
if you're the type of person who approaches a cashier and cannot avoid buying little knick-knack sh^t at the counter, i'd suggest avoiding this impulse as much as possible, lol. you might do it the next 3 years and all of a sudden it's an extra 30-50M in year 3 you didn't account for.
I'm going to shop him around by the end of July and see what i can get. I will post some of my possible 2001 rotation without him in it and see what you guys think.

I'm, 3rd in budget 9th in salary overall, i think.
I plan on pursuing one of the 3 highest paid C this offseason. one would become my DH as he makes Piazza look like Johnny Bench and the other is a Pudge Rodriguez type but is 34. i might be able to trade Atkinson for the 1st C. I'm also converting a CF to P frm another thread so that may help my rotation in 2 more years.

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #12
The Game
Hall Of Famer

After shopping Atkinson Atlanta had offered a 1for 1 with Urban or Campbell. I wanted to see what they would say if i added both. Harris wants to be traded (FA at end of season) also and i need a ML ready C. Zeile is a FA and not hitting.So If they agree I think i come out fairly well. I need bullpen help and Urban can fill that void, although i will use him asa SP for the rest of the season. Atlanta is in 1st in the NA East, so Atkinson can help them secure it.
Campbell is the #67 prospect.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 12-17-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Overall I am happy with this trade as it will solve some issues for 2001 but means i probably will not contend for the Wildcard this season which could get me fired.
Freeing up the money now was not needed but it's nice to know i can go out and pursue some of the major FA's. It got me back a backup 1B in Erik Carey who will probably platoon at dH when Frank Thomas comes back from an injury.It gives me a backup C I will have under contract so I can pursue a FA C this offseason or while 1 of my 3 C prospects mature. Urban's future will be in the pen and i have 2 expiring contracts there. Campbell might be ready by September of 2001. Thomas is a minor league fill.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 12-18-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #14
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I'd only deal with him on a two year basis maximum.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #15
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

they key missing piece of information to me is how much salary flexibility do you have right now and looking forward through those years. that is always as, if not more, important to me then the player when making these decisions. When I have a ton of room I throw money around because even though I know they wont all work out I can afford to eat a few bad ones.

when money is tight I tend to only spend on what I would consider to be sure things.

all a matter of managing your opportunity costs.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
they key missing piece of information to me is how much salary flexibility do you have right now and looking forward through those years. that is always as, if not more, important to me then the player when making these decisions. When I have a ton of room I throw money around because even though I know they wont all work out I can afford to eat a few bad ones.

when money is tight I tend to only spend on what I would consider to be sure things.

all a matter of managing your opportunity costs.
My Owner typically likes to spend. The Sox were always near the top in payroll throughout the 90's.
I highlighted a few players i plan on pursuing in teh offseason. The Rock is a clone of Barry Bonds. The 2nd guy while he can hit, is a bad defensive C. 3 Arm. he would be a DH, most likely.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #17
Hotwheelz
All Star Starter

I wouldn't give him more than 2 years. Honestly I'd probably trade him at the deadline if you have quality replacements and can get something decent in return. If he had been a longtime member of the club I might go 3 year at most out of loyalty.
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote