Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 02-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Jackyle
Hall Of Famer

A few ratings questions

I been rating fighters for several years and am constantly learning new things from old posts, the manual, the board game, but mostly from studying other peoples work such as John Dewey, Bear, IceTea, Bask, etc...

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to refer to and ask questions for people who want to learn to rate fighters or to debate on best practices.

I have a question to start things off. I think the one I struggle with the most is punching accuracy and how to apply it. When using fighters in the stock database I get a good idea of who to rate where but I often struggle to apply the BEST number here. Do any of you have the benchmark (Fighter) to use for this rating... Same goes for Counter punching (But not as much).
Jackyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyle View Post
I been rating fighters for several years and am constantly learning new things from old posts, the manual, the board game, but mostly from studying other peoples work such as John Dewey, Bear, IceTea, Bask, etc...

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to refer to and ask questions for people who want to learn to rate fighters or to debate on best practices.

I have a question to start things off. I think the one I struggle with the most is punching accuracy and how to apply it. When using fighters in the stock database I get a good idea of who to rate where but I often struggle to apply the BEST number here. Do any of you have the benchmark (Fighter) to use for this rating... Same goes for Counter punching (But not as much).
I don't have a benchmark fighter for this purpose. I just rely on judging similarity with rated fighters based .my experience.

I have a different area of struggle. It's one I've discussed with Mark (Icetea) on many occasions when we've met at IBHOF inductions. I have a real problem when it comes to rating swarmers. I never feel confidant with them. The adjustments Mark made to Arturo Godoy in response to CAP's description of him as a swarmer after watching some old films has been really useful to me. I guess this serves as something of a benchmark for me with my self perceived area of struggle.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Jackyle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I don't have a benchmark fighter for this purpose. I just rely on judging similarity with rated fighters based .my experience.

I have a different area of struggle. It's one I've discussed with Mark (Icetea) on many occasions when we've met at IBHOF inductions. I have a real problem when it comes to rating swarmers. I never feel confidant with them. The adjustments Mark made to Arturo Godoy in response to CAP's description of him as a swarmer after watching some old films has been really useful to me. I guess this serves as something of a benchmark for me with my self perceived area of struggle.
I picked that up from IceTea in his rating of Santa Cruz, and In a different way with Tim Bradley. I like how he rates outside of the norm for unique fighters. That's something I would like to get better at.

There are several ratings I find easy.
Style
Fouls
Clinching (It took my a while on this one but I think I have improved here)
Draw Power
Conditioning
Intellect
Proficiency (Always a 10)
Recovery
Resistance to cut (With all the cuts stoppages unless someone stinks or is a known bleeder I try to sat at 1)
Killer Instinct
Aggressiveness (This one can be tough if they have not fought anyone good, especially hard with fighters with only a few fights as well)
Endurance (Same as above)
Fast Starter
Fight on the ropes
2 and 3Pt's punches

The ones that I do struggle with at times are
Fight Inside
Fight Outside
Cover up
Go for Knockout
Control vs Boxer - difficult with newer fighters
Control vs slugger - difficult with newer fighters
Chin Vs. Knockdown - difficult with newer fighters
Chin Vs. Knockout - difficult with newer fighters
Absorb Punishment - difficult with newer fighters
Defense - Getting better here, but tend to rate too low.
Punching
Counterpunching
Old 02-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
bear
Global Moderator

I don't apply numbers to the four select the select a startegy options too liberally. I'll rarely give 3's in one of the categories except in two circumstances. If a fighter's KO percentage is higher than 70% I consider giving him a 3 in the go for a KO category.. I'll give fighter's who have a large number of DQ losses a 3 for fighting inside, as well as giving them higher aggression and sometimes even a higher CF to raise the possibility of DQs for these guys.

I don't like giving new fighters more than a 1 in any of these categories but there are exceptions. Former Olympians with a strong amateur pedigree for example.

Anybody with a pulse gets a Cover up of 1 as the baseline starting point.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Jackyle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I don't apply numbers to the four select the select a startegy options too liberally. I'll rarely give 3's in one of the categories except in two circumstances. If a fighter's KO percentage is higher than 70% I consider giving him a 3 in the go for a KO category.. I'll give fighter's who have a large number of DQ losses a 3 for fighting inside, as well as giving them higher aggression and sometimes even a higher CF to raise the possibility of DQs for these guys.

I don't like giving new fighters more than a 1 in any of these categories but there are exceptions. Former Olympians with a strong amateur pedigree for example.

Anybody with a pulse gets a Cover up of 1 as the baseline starting point.
Very helpful Bear thank you. Especially the Cover up starting point.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Hate to muddy the waters, but I have seen a few fighters, over the years, who once hurt, didn't have a clue about clinching or covering up....Is there a big difference in results if a guy has zero or 1 in that category?

Cap
Old 03-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Hate to muddy the waters, but I have seen a few fighters, over the years, who once hurt, didn't have a clue about clinching or covering up....Is there a big difference in results if a guy has zero or 1 in that category?

Cap
Just saw one of them one the Solo Boxeo broadcast I DVR'd yesterday. Raul Tovar, in the main event was TKO's in 1:59. He was dropped initially with about 2:40 left in the round and had no clue how to survive the round . Make me wonder what some guys do in the gym, or question the effectiveness of some trainers.

I don't think having a strategy factor of 1 for these guys will alter things too much, at least when I rate them, because I tend to rate fighters that don't know how to execute this skill real high in the area of intelligence which should reduce the odds of the strategy being employed.

Just to raise another point. I've seen a number of guys with pop drop or hurt opponents and have no clue how to finish a fight.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

I just discovered this thread. I will comment soon.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote