Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
tylertoo
Major Leagues

names.txt question

Are the names.txt and first_names.txt used only at the creation of the fictional league? Or are they accessed later as new players are created?

Put in a different way, if I want to alter the 'pool' of names and first names in an existing league with years of history, can I simply alter those two text files? Or am I stuck with these names?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Are the names.txt and first_names.txt used only at the creation of the fictional league? Or are they accessed later as new players are created?

Put in a different way, if I want to alter the 'pool' of names and first names in an existing league with years of history, can I simply alter those two text files? Or am I stuck with these names?

They're accessed later as new players are created (i.e. each new season's draft pool). After altering the names files, just make sure to re-import them.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
They're accessed later as new players are created (i.e. each new season's draft pool). After altering the names files, just make sure to re-import them.
Thanks, but I'm not sure how to re-import them when the league is already created. Do I simply place the newly altered files into the database folder, where the originals now sit? Would an already-created league access those files, or something else within its save game folder?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Thanks, but I'm not sure how to re-import them when the league is already created. Do I simply place the newly altered files into the database folder, where the originals now sit? Would an already-created league access those files, or something else within its save game folder?

You can just alter the names files in the database folder. Then go to the Game Setup page. On the right-hand side you'll see Global Database Functions. Right below that is the re-import option. (You may want to make backup copies of your original names files).

albatross

Last edited by albatross11; 09-12-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
The Living Bubba
Bat Boy

I've been trying to edit the names.txt file and use it to create the draft pool in my MLB 2012 game. So far I'm not having any luck. I've been re-importing the names database into the game well before the draft pool is created, but the game seems to be reverting to the original name set when it generates the draft pool. Anyone else having the same experience? I really want to have the possibility of computer-generated names like "Asa Bass" and "John Cocktoasttin," but so far the game seems unwilling to accommodate me.
The Living Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Living Bubba View Post
I really want to have the possibility of computer-generated names like "Asa Bass" and "John Cocktoasttin," but so far the game seems unwilling to accommodate me.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
The Living Bubba
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Or how about a league in which gradually, after a number of years, two-thirds of the players are named John Malkovich? Who wouldn't want that?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
The Living Bubba
Bat Boy

Seriously, though. After I re-import the names databases, the next time I generate new players (either manually or when the computer creates the draft pool), the game should be using the edited names databases, correct? That's not happening for me when I use the 2012 roster set. Is that what I should expect, or is there something I should be doing differently?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Living Bubba View Post
Seriously, though. After I re-import the names databases, the next time I generate new players (either manually or when the computer creates the draft pool), the game should be using the edited names databases, correct? That's not happening for me when I use the 2012 roster set. Is that what I should expect, or is there something I should be doing differently?

I've never used a "roster set", so someone else can probably give you a better response, but that may be the problem. I think the names files are for "created" (i.e. fictional) players. Sounds like your game may just be using the names in your roster set.

albatross