Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #81
Murcer
Minors (Triple A)

Ok after hundreds of iterations, I think I got it! I've attached the final file in the event anyone else wanted to sneak a look.

I would also like to go on record as saying that I can't BELIEVE the development team made this change without considering how difficult it would be for someone like to me to convert our old files! There's not even anything in the manual to cover this; it still refers to the old files (like nations.txt)!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your help.
Attached Files
File Type: xml world_default.xml (10.8 KB, 116 views)
Murcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #82
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

What does it change?

Murcer,

Thanks, but what does your file change? I'm looking to get control of the where my coaches and managers as well as players come from and what the historic mix should be over time and societal evolution. 1871 should not be generating Japanese beanch coaches, for example.

Thanks!

JP
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #83
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

And then this?

The world xml file has some text instructions, as follows:

<!--
OOTP loads this file whenever the user creates a new game. You can edit this file as long as you watch the syntax. Please read the online manual section about customizing the world XML file.
NATION tokens:
use_hardcoded_ml_player_origins - either 1 (=yes) or 0 (=no). If missing, the value will be set to 0. By default it's 1 for the USA nation record in the XML file. Just disable it (set it to 0) or delete it and OOTP will not use the hard coded player distribution for that nation anymore.
this_is_modern_usa - either 1 (=yes) or 0 (=no). If missing, the value will be set to 0. By default it's 1 for the USA nation record in the XML file. There should always be at least one nation with this flag enabled because OOTP needs it as the nation for pre-defined leagues, like NL or AL.

When OOTP creates fictional players for modern US major leagues, it will need to find the following nations by name: Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, Cuba, Japan, Panama, Australia, South Korea, Germany, Aruba, England, The Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Taiwan. So you should not change the names for these nations if you want to simulate realistic major leagues!
-->

Simply, what the hell does it mean?!?!?!? We should not be cowering in this corner wondering how to do this stuff. And does this affect a World Template or if you use more than one to create a league. Oh why did I buy online without an international attorney or geek!!!!!

Ahhhhhh I feel better now. Please answer at your leisure.

Thank you.

JP
Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #84
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmeister View Post
You would change the XML to remove all references to other enhnicities/langauges. For example

<NATION id="206" name="The United States" short="United States" pop="218840792" lid="0" gender="0" bbqual="5" abbr="USA" dem="American">
<ETHNICITIES>
<ETHNICITY lid="0" pct="100" />
</ETHNICITIES>

This makes the U.S only draw from the U.S. Modern language names.

There is a second step too. Open the ethnicities.txt file and change the first lline to:

0,U.S. (Modern),0,0,0,1000,0,

I am the ballpark idiot. The village idiot won't even associate with me. I'm not seeming to find these numbers or actually what to change them into.

But on a brighter note, I like your old style uniforms, but I am sure I'll need handholding to actually get them to work.

Thanks.

JP
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #85
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post
Murcer,

Thanks, but what does your file change? I'm looking to get control of the where my coaches and managers as well as players come from and what the historic mix should be over time and societal evolution. 1871 should not be generating Japanese beanch coaches, for example.

Thanks!

JP
Murcer's file didn't change anything from the "shipped" world_xml file. He's playing a fictional league. He just created his own "new" world_xml file that ony has his fictional nations and cities.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #86
Murcer
Minors (Triple A)

Ok first off, I'm NOT a "techy" guy so I'll try explaining this in a non-tech way in order to try to help some folks on here. I am assuming some knowledge of the Names and Ethnicity files so if there are follow-up questions, I'll be happy to help (if I can!).

The world_default file affects:
  1. the names of the nations in your world. I go totally fictional (fictional nations, fictional cities, etc). In my file, the nations are Aberdeen, Dakota, Hallstrom, Northrup, Perth, Yates, and Sandine (in the event you wanted to do a search for them in the file).
  2. It also affects the NAMES that will be used for each nation. That's the "ETHNICITY lid" you'll see within the file. Mine is pretty simple, most of the nations use English names (#39) while Sandine uses #1 (Spanish) and Hallstrom uses #12 (I think it's Norway).
  3. This file also impact the CITIES that will appear in your world. They need to be defined under each nation.
  4. Lastly, this file indicates baseball level for each nation which will affect how many players are generated for that area.
After some testing, I determined that the Ethnicities.txt file still impacts Facegen. So given the language id specified in the world_default file, the type of facegen image associated to a player will be determined by this Ethnicities file.

And I think that's pretty much it! I hope that explains what I was going for and provides some clues for anyone wanting to do it themselves.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #87
Murcer
Minors (Triple A)

Ranger11JP, if you explain what you're trying to do, I'll see if I can answer. I'm down there with you amongst the the ballpark and village idiots so maybe we can relate to one another!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #88
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcer View Post
Ok first off, I'm NOT a "techy" guy so I'll try explaining this in a non-tech way in order to try to help some folks on here. I am assuming some knowledge of the Names and Ethnicity files so if there are follow-up questions, I'll be happy to help (if I can!).

The world_default file affects:
  1. the names of the nations in your world. I go totally fictional (fictional nations, fictional cities, etc). In my file, the nations are Aberdeen, Dakota, Hallstrom, Northrup, Perth, Yates, and Sandine (in the event you wanted to do a search for them in the file).
  2. It also affects the NAMES that will be used for each nation. That's the "ETHNICITY lid" you'll see within the file. Mine is pretty simple, most of the nations use English names (#39) while Sandine uses #1 (Spanish) and Hallstrom uses #12 (I think it's Norway).
  3. This file also impact the CITIES that will appear in your world. They need to be defined under each nation.
  4. Lastly, this file indicates baseball level for each nation which will affect how many players are generated for that area.
After some testing, I determined that the Ethnicities.txt file still impacts Facegen. So given the language id specified in the world_default file, the type of facegen image associated to a player will be determined by this Ethnicities file.

And I think that's pretty much it! I hope that explains what I was going for and provides some clues for anyone wanting to do it themselves.
#4 - Sort of - It affects the quality of players that come from that country more so than quantity.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #89
Murcer
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
#4 - Sort of - It affects the quality of players that come from that country more so than quantity.
Ok. But I think it may affect both as I see many more players coming from the nations with a higher baseball level.

But thanks for clarifying the point about quality.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #90
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Actually, it's the reverse:

Quote:
Baseball quality comes into play when determining the nationalities of players the game creates. Generally speaking, more players will be generated from nations with high levels of play.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #91
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Simply, what the hell does it mean?!?!?!?
OOTP has a hard-coded distribution of nationalities for player generation, based on the ethnic breakdowns in modern baseball. So a set percentage of your league will be US, Dominican, Venezuelan, Japanese, etc., based on what those percentages are today. In addition, the language IDs (LIDs) within each country are also hardcoded, so a certain percentage of US players will have Hispanic (LID 1) names and French (LID 8) names and so on. If you don't want this (e.g. if you're starting a fictional league that begins in 1900 and you don't want a lot of Japanese and Dominican players), then set the "use_hardcoded_ml_player_origins" value in the world_default.xml file to zero.

I'm not sure about the "this_is_modern_usa" value. I think that has more bearing on gamers who use pre-defined leagues. If you're going completely fictional, I'm not sure if changing this value to zero would have any effect.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #92
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcer View Post
Ranger11JP, if you explain what you're trying to do, I'll see if I can answer. I'm down there with you amongst the the ballpark and village idiots so maybe we can relate to one another!
Murcer, and the others trying to help,

I have done something, but not sure what or how. My league now seems to not be generating any foreign players. I made the first change in the xml file that the text suggests and went to the nations and changed the langage to US Historical and I entered 3000. But I need to double check all of that.

I am trying to generate sub par players who might get into the bigs on occasion for a stint. Then have them become coaches after kicking throught the minors and maybe an independent league, which is a whole other undertaking.

Thanks all!

JP
Old 05-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #93
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Ranger11JP: what is your foreigner percentage value set at? It's under League Setup: Options.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #94
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Ranger11JP: what is your foreigner percentage value set at? It's under League Setup: Options.
I have set the foreigners to zero. I have been experimenting with all the settings to see what happens. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #95
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have set the foreigners to zero. I have been experimenting with all the settings to see what happens. Any feedback is appreciated.
If you set the foreigner percentage to zero, the game won't generate any foreign players.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #96
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
If you set the foreigner percentage to zero, the game won't generate any foreign players.
Thanks Joe, I thought that was the case, but I am not 100% sure even about that. But the problem could be me. I just started a game with 0 foreigners (or at least I thought I did) and I have about 20 who have shown up. Maybe they are illegal aliens?????

If I may pick your brain, how would I set up a Historic league where the game created players are always scrubs. I want to do this hoping that real major league guys sent to the minors hopefully stand out there and also so that if a roster spot needs filling the sub is pretty much a cup of coffee guy.

Thanks for your help.

JP
Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #97
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I may pick your brain, how would I set up a Historic league where the game created players are always scrubs. I want to do this hoping that real major league guys sent to the minors hopefully stand out there and also so that if a roster spot needs filling the sub is pretty much a cup of coffee guy.
I'm not sure how you'd do that, except maybe to have ghost players in the minors. I don't play historical, so I'm not the person to ask.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #98
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks Joe, I thought that was the case, but I am not 100% sure even about that. But the problem could be me. I just started a game with 0 foreigners (or at least I thought I did) and I have about 20 who have shown up. Maybe they are illegal aliens?????

Thanks for your help.

JP
You'd probably have to turn PCM's way down if you wanted all scrubs, but then you're still likely to get some decent players.

You can keep fictional players (game generated) from reaching the majors though. There's an option in league setup, not sure which tab, to "prevent fictional players from reaching the majors". This may not be exactly what you want but it might help some.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 05-17-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #99
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

I'm late to the show but am thoroughly disgusted by the fact that world ethnicities are hard coded. Why even bother having a nation editor module within the game if it does not really modify anything?
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #100
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
It's great that you're willing to help, but this further proves the point. Those who previously had the ability to customize their nations and cities in OOTP are often finding the new method to be too difficult and tedious.

No one should need to send files to another person to get help. Ideally, the game should make it relatively simple and easy to set up your world using comma delimited text files or spreadsheets and then convert them through an editor or some other interface.

Sure, I've done some editing of the world_default.xml file, and it's reasonable for small fixes and such. But when we're having to use major copy-and-paste operations or formulas in Excel to get a larger job done, then it's been made more difficult than it needs to be.

It should be as simple as data entry into a few clearly organized data tables. Then the game should take this and convert it into XML. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer, but I dare say that any programmer that I've encountered could create this tool in a single day.
Amen! Could we have left well enough alone and stayed with the nations file instead of the cumbersome world_default.xml file? Yes, it's probably more flexible in terms of customization but it locks down customization within the game. It renders the nation editor module as useless!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote