Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
jinif
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How do you quit a game without saving?

How can I turn off the auto save feature?
jinif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinif View Post
You can't. It's set that way to eliminate the ability to cheat.
cbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
tycho32
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have had my computer crash because of some bug or other before I could save and that erased everything I had done from my last save until then. I would assume if you want to not save that bad you could restart your computer before saving it. This may have some kind of unknown consequences however.
tycho32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbl View Post
You can't. It's set that way to eliminate the ability to cheat.
I'm sure you are right but why make the game so easy to cheat through editing and then go anal by not allowing the user to leave without saving? There might also be reasons a user might have to leave in the middle of a game. Why not let the user decide when to save?
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui View Post
I'm sure you are right but why make the game so easy to cheat through editing and then go anal by not allowing the user to leave without saving? There might also be reasons a user might have to leave in the middle of a game. Why not let the user decide when to save?
I can't answer that, but, yes, via commissioner mode you can do a lot of things -- but one thing you cannot do is edit the outcome of a game. Lose the World Series on a bonehead play in the bottom of the ninth of the 7th game? Such is life ...

Of course, you can kill the process through Windows Task Manager (killing the application will still force the save), but stopping a program this way could corrupt the game file -- or other things in Windows.

Read this thread on why the autosave feature is not customizable:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ight=auto+save

Last edited by cbbl; 07-19-2007 at 03:49 PM.
cbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't answer that, but, yes, via commissioner mode you can do a lot of things -- but one thing you cannot do is edit the outcome of a game. Lose the World Series on a bonehead play in the bottom of the ninth of the 7th game? Such is life ...

Of course, you can kill the process through Windows Task Manager (killing the application will still force the save), but stopping a program this way could corrupt the game file -- or other things in Windows.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

DOLA

Surely there is a better way to stop cheating. As was mentioned in the thread, yearly autosaving really slows down simming. And there are valid reasons to want to exit a game part way through. For example, when dragging and dropping a PH into the pitchers slot I have accidently dropped him in the middle of the order. Unlike FM/WWSM, the game doesnt have an 'undo last move' feature. I wish markus would change this.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
injury log
Hall Of Famer

What would happen if you made a complete copy of the .lg folder before quitting OOTP? Wouldn't the duplicated version of the folder be an exact copy of the original saved game, before the save triggered by the quit?
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
What would happen if you made a complete copy of the .lg folder before quitting OOTP? Wouldn't the duplicated version of the folder be an exact copy of the original saved game, before the save triggered by the quit?
I wonder if doing it in-game would corrupt the file?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
zekester91
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Not nessasarly, as pointed out in post 10 of Save link above, each player's history section might have things be writen to it that as saved as they happen and not when the DB is saved. Plus there might be other things that are written to files other than the DBs.

The road was closed while the Hartford Police Department's bomb squad came and blew up the chicken.
zekester91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui View Post
I wonder if doing it in-game would corrupt the file?
Likely, yes! I suppose it depends how much the game keeps in memory while simming, and how much is actually written to disk. It does work to copy the folder before launching a game, if you know in advance you'll want to revert to the saved copy. I just read the linked thread above, which is worthwhile reading for anyone who wants to try to work around the auto-save.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
Burgandy
Minors (Single A)

I have only one issue with the whole theory of not being able to disable auto-save.

I have kids.

They like to sneak into daddy's chair when daddy is not in it.

They like to play with the little mouse and click things.

I don't know about the rest of you, I don't want to live with the managerial decisions of a 3-year old!

Okay, there are also other countless honest goof ups that I have needed to go back in time... like configuring the leagues, simming a whole month, and realizing that you missed configuring a schedule for one of your minor leagues... like forgetting to start a scouting task by a certain date, only because the game lacks the design feature to automate it. There've been multiple times I wanted to go back to the last save and none of them have to do with wanting to change my mind about a poor decision I made.
Burgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
chippered
Minors (Double A)

I've had the game freeze on me before, and I just hit cntl, alt, dlt. Cancel the process, and the game will shut down without saving. I've never noticed any problems with any of my leagues when having to do this, but it is frustrating when I lose progress in this way. But it is a way to shut the game down without saving.
chippered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
orwell
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinif View Post
Pull the circuit breakers in your house right after the other team hits a grand slam in the top of the ninth. That's what I do.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #15
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

CTRL + ALT + DELETE

End Process
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgandy View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, I don't want to live with the managerial decisions of a 3-year old!
What's his or her record? I'm looking for a replacement for the goof who is currently managing my team, and from experience I know better not to come down from my GM box and goof it up any further!
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #17
Assos
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
Pull the circuit breakers in your house right after the other team hits a grand slam in the top of the ninth. That's what I do.
Does not work on a laptop.
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
Burgandy
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
What's his or her record? I'm looking for a replacement for the goof who is currently managing my team, and from experience I know better not to come down from my GM box and goof it up any further!
Lol. He doesn't play games. He only releases stud prospects and promotes pitchers to play shortstop. He'll get better with experience, I'm hoping.
Burgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
storm427
Minors (Single A)

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
This is the number one thing I like about on line leagues. If you screw up, you just reload the most recent update (before you export).

I have taken to copying the .lg folder every once in a while. Yeah, you lose intended progress when you revert to the save, but it does let you undo boneheaded mistakes. I started doing it to experiment with different techniques from a common start point.
storm427 is offline   Reply With Quote