Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #61
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Apropos of nothing, I suppose, I'll go on record here and state that I like the recent trade the Yanks made (Diehl for Tauchman). Diehl looked great this spring, but with Hicks playing his annual gig on the IL, the Yanks needed depth in the OF. In addition, Tauchman kinda has the same late bloomer vibe about him that Luke Voigt had last year. He's a big, strong, very athletic outfielder who really came into his own last year at AAA. He's seemingly trending upwards.

That said, it's tough not to feel a little bad for Tyler Wade. He had an excellent spring and certainly played well enough to make the club. Barring the injury to Hicks, he probably does make the club. Wade is highly versatile, but he's more of a utility infielder than outfielder. He's just not what the Yanks need right now as they head north. Of course, that will certainly change as the season progresses.
Apparently the lack of outfield experience was what did Wade in. But why Tauchman was so much better an alternative is a bit puzzling to me. Late bloomer, indeed; he needs to bloom a bit at age 28 with a career BA of .153 (including 3 hits in 32 ABs last year, .094!).

Wade was not happy, to say the least:

Tyler Wade rightfully furious over roster demotion

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #62
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL! I almost forgot why I wandered in here. Let's have some predictions here!

I'm really concerned about Severino's health right now, but, overall, I'm really feeling optimistic about Yanks this season. I don't know if they can reach 100 wins again, but 96-98 wins is definitely doable. Therefore, I'll go with:

97-65

Whether or not the Red Sox come back down to earth is another matter. I think they will. It'll be a tight squeeze, but I'll take the Yanks to win their division with those 97 handshakes.
You're a bit more optimistic than ESPN, who has them at 94-68 and "second in AL East" (BoSox: 98-64).

I usually don't make predictions - I tend to be wrong by a lot and usually pessimistic - but I will say this: Barring injuries of course, the Yankees should be even better than last year, on paper.

Better starting rotation, a fabulous bullpen, kids coming into their own (Andujar and Torres), two good and experienced infielders added (LeMahieu and Tulowitski) with another one due back (Gregorius), at least one guy able to play 1B and hit (Bird or Voit), a catcher who is slowly getting better defensively and who cannot help be better at the plate than last year (Sanchez), a solid outfield with one guy who is due for a monster season (Judge or Stanton or both).

The club won 100 games last year before these upgrades! So, it's hard not to agree with your prediction of 97-65.

But you know how it goes in baseball. When you think something is a "can't miss," that's when it misses. Injuries we mentioned. Prolonged slumps are something else. How many wins will they end up with if Judge and Stanton bat .220? What if Sanchez actually is as bad as he has looked for the past year and a half at the plate? What if Severino is really a flash in the pan or Paxton does a Sonny Gray?

That said, I am looking forward to this season for sure. Let's enjoy it.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 03-27-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #63
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DéjÃ* Bru View Post
Apparently the lack of outfield experience was what did Wade in. But why Tauchman was so much better an alternative is a bit puzzling to me. Late bloomer, indeed; he needs to bloom a bit at age 28 with a career BA of .153 (including 3 hits in 32 ABs last year, .094!).

Wade was not happy, to say the least:

Tyler Wade rightfully furious over roster demotion

Yeah, I'll admit there's some wishful thinking there on my part. His minor league numbers suggest a player on an upward trend, albeit a pinch and a dash too late to garner true prospect status. Clint Frazier was the young OF the Yanks were really hoping would have a breakout spring. Him laying an ostrich-sized egg this spring set up this whole scenario in the first place. Suffice it to say that his status as a legit prospect is now on the bubble.

As far as Tyler Wade goes, I understand his frustration, but let's try and keep things in some kind of perspective here. Granted, he had a decent spring. However, before we go and hijack any planes to Cuba on his behalf to protest his perceived mistreatment, let's bear in mind that in 124 career AB's over the past two seasons he only managed a paltry .161 BA & .218 OBP. This isn't exactly a young Rogers Hornsby we're talking about here, so for him to feel "blinsided" is a bit more puzzling to me than Tauchman making the club out of camp.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #64
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
You're a bit more optimistic than ESPN, who has them at 94-68 and "second in AL East" (BoSox: 98-64).

I usually don't make predictions - I tend to be wrong by a lot and usually pessimistic - but I will say this: Barring injuries of course, the Yankees should be even better than last year, on paper.

Better starting rotation, a fabulous bullpen, kids coming into their own (Andujar and Torres), two good and experienced infielders added (LeMahieu and Tulowitski) with another one due back (Gregorius), at least one guy able to play 1B and hit (Bird or Voit), a catcher who is slowly getting better defensively and who cannot help be better at the plate than last year (Sanchez), a solid outfield with one guy who is due for a monster season (Judge or Stanton or both).

The club won 100 games last year before these upgrades! So, it's hard not to agree with your prediction of 97-65.

But you know how it goes in baseball. When you think something is a "can't miss," that's when it misses. Injuries we mentioned. Prolonged slumps are something else. How many wins will they end up with if Judge and Stanton bat .220? What if Sanchez actually is as bad as he has looked for the past year and a half at the plate? What if Severino is really a flash in the pan or Paxton does a Sonny Gray?

That said, I am looking forward to this season for sure. Let's enjoy it.

Hey, if it wasn't for Sevy's rotator cuff tendinitis (I'm really worried about him) I probably would've gone over 100 (say 101-104) wins.

As you astutely pointed out, the team has upgraded and is better (on paper) than they were last season. No, they didn't add Machado or Harper, but they didn't need to. The additions of Paxton & Ottavino, along with the key resignings of a remarkably resurgent (and freshly renamed) Zac(k) Britton, J.A. Happ and C.C (Making progress), should be enough reasons to feel optimistic.

Of course, nothing is etched in granite, but what fun would baseball (and life for that matter) be if everything was?

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-27-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #65
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Double dola,

I'm glad Kenny Singleton has opted to stick around a bit longer. Sounds like he'll be working a significantly reduced schedule, but at least he'll still be around. That's great for YES, great for Yankees fans.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #66
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Double dola,

I'm glad Kenny Singleton has opted to stick around a bit longer. Sounds like he'll be working a significantly reduced schedule, but at least he'll still be around. That's great for YES, great for Yankees fans.
Yes, I saw/heard him on a ST game and was surprised because I thought he announced his retirement last year. Then I guessed that he was just making an appearance because he lives in Florida or something. You're saying he'll be around for some regular season games as well?

- Bru

Old 03-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #67
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, I saw/heard him on a ST game and was surprised because I thought he announced his retirement last year. Then I guessed that he was just making an appearance because he lives in Florida or something. You're saying he'll be around for some regular season games as well?
Yes. According to this Newsday article published couple of days ago, Singleton will return this year working a significantly reduced schedule:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/media...ees-1.28945727

I'm a little surprised this hasn't made a slightly bigger splash in the local sports media. None of the other dailies have even bothered mentioning Singleton's redecision and return.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #68
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

Who are these Yankees you speak of?? All I know is "those guys from New York who whine too much."

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #69
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I like the additions the Yankees made in the off season.

The rotation should be better with Happ and Paxton being added. I thought they signed Gio Gonzales to a minor league deal and was almost hoping he would end up in the starting rotation.

The lineup is lethal and hopefully should be more balanced this year.

My concern is Servino's health and when he comes back will he remain healthy and effective.

I look forward to a successful season.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #70
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Well, it certainly didn't take long this year for some of that optimistic spring air to get squeezed out of the Yankee balloon, did it? A 1-2 and start against what many consider to be an historically bad team, mixed in with a nice, comfy, 10-day IL stint for Stanton, to go along with their other injuries. Ah, reality!

No worries. It still doesn't even feel like baseball season yet here in NYC. Jack Frost wasn't just nipping at my nose this morning but was trying to chisel it right off my face.

Looks like this year's Yankee Tsunami will have to begin with a light ripple.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #71
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, it certainly didn't take long this year for some of that optimistic spring air to get squeezed out of the Yankee balloon, did it? A 1-2 and start against what many consider to be an historically bad team, mixed in with a nice, comfy, 10-day IL stint for Stanton, to go along with their other injuries. Ah, reality!

No worries. It still doesn't even feel like baseball season yet here in NYC. Jack Frost wasn't just nipping at my nose this morning but was trying to chisel it right off my face.

Looks like this year's Yankee Tsunami will have to begin with a light ripple.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Well, that was a quick round trip for Tyler Wade, eh? He never got into a game at Scranton (their season doesn't start until Thursday).

- Bru

Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #72
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Well, that was a quick round trip for Tyler Wade, eh? He never got into a game at Scranton (their season doesn't start until Thursday).
Yep. With the injury to Andujar, it certainly looks like Wade will get the shot he earned in ST after all. Let's hope he's finally up to the challenge.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:06 AM   #73
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Nice bounce back win yesterday, especially after making Matt Boyd look like Sandy Koufax the day before.

They're really banged up right now. I can't recall the last time they had so many key players on the IL at once. Makes you wonder who will be next. They say Chapman is fine, but he's looking awfully pedestrian these days with a seemingly very hittable 91-97 mph heater. Let's hope it's just the cold weather and not something infinitely worse that's been responsible for shaving velocity off his fastball.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #74
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

To the extent that the number of injuries in a season is finite (yeah, right ), it's better to get them over with in April than September.

- Bru

Old 04-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #75
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Cliff Pennington? Okay, it's now official: The Yanks are desperately seeking infield depth and are now willing to scrape the bottom of any dried-up well to find it.

Looks like the biggest mistake Cashman made this past offseason was to dump Ronald Torreyes. Even at the time the move seemed utterly inexplicable. All he did in his three years as the Yanks' primary utility infielder was be reasonably productive offensively and demonstrate the required versatility the position demands in spades. Gee, who wants a guy like that clogging up their infield depth chart?

Besides, I miss seeing pics of him trying to high-five Aaron Judge after hitting a home run like some little kid trying desperately to get his dad's attention.

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-06-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #76
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
To the extent that the number of injuries in a season is finite (yeah, right ), it's better to get them over with in April than September.

Except, unfortunately, that's not the way it seems to work. It would be cool if injuries were like some sort of butcher's bill that you pay up front and early so you could enjoy nothing but good vibrations later in the season. Sadly, in all the years I've been watching sports, tons of early injuries usually just portend more to come. I really hope that's not the case but I'm not feeling optimistic right now. I mean...Cliff Pennington?

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-06-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:05 AM   #77
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Well, speaking of injuries, I felt good for Clint Frazier tonight. That's been a long time coming.

- Bru

Old 04-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #78
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'm starting to believe the guys who said before the season began that the Yankees would break their own HR record this year.

- Bru

Old 04-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #79
Caporegime
All Star Starter

One of those "punch to the gut" kind of losses tonight. Considering their recent history with him, it almost feels like a double loss when they're able to chase Verlander out with a lead and not be able to seal the deal. Oh well...

On the injury front, Severino has apparently suffered a setback in his rehab assignment. He's heading back to NYC for further tests, which is never a good thing. Even if all the tests all come up roses for him we won't see Severino return to the rotation until June at the earliest. Bummer! The consequences of the worst case scenario playing out should go without saying. Either way, it's become apparent very quickly that the Yanks are going need more depth in their rotation. I wasn't keen on the Yanks signing him during the winter, but Dallas Keuchel is still available and rumor has it his asking price has come down from where it was over the winter.

Let's face facts. At this point, it really doesn't matter what Keuchel's asking price is because it looks like the Yanks are going to need him. Unless, of course, Cashman opts to fill the potholes in their rotation the same way he's doing with their infield, by scrounging around for potential "undervalued assets".

Anyone know if Cliff Pennington can throw a knuckleball?

Last edited by Caporegime; 04-09-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #80
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Don't forget that they signed Gio González for this contingency and I think CC is due back soon.

- Bru