Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:21 AM   #1
mrbigmechs13
Bat Boy

Talking Can someone weigh in on how nicknames are generated?

If you haven't been on the OOTP reddit, you may have missed a particularly hilarious nickname that was posted recently https://www.reddit.com/r/OOTP/commen...good_nickname/

I was hoping that someone from the development team (or anyone with knowledge of it) could weigh in on how the nicknames are generated?
mrbigmechs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Randomly
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
Danius
Minors (Double A)

I'm pretty sure they aren't generated at all. Some developer actually created "Big Boy or Pig Tiger" as a possible nickname, and then it was randomly selected for your player.
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yes, they are random . . . and dumb in my opinion. They have no logical connection to anything about the player and, maybe worst of all, they are repetitive. Look at a player list sometime, sorted by nickname, and see what I mean.

I have tried to start games fresh without nicknames by deleting the contents of nicknames.txt and they still creep in! Also, if you manually nickname players, those supposedly unique nicknames will be reused.

So . . . what I do is to turn off nicknames in game settings. Then, if I want to nickname somebody, I go to the player editor and insert 'nickname' (with single quotes) after the first name. Works great, looks great in reports, and I see only the nicknames that I want in the game.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danius View Post
I'm pretty sure they aren't generated at all. Some developer actually created "Big Boy or Pig Tiger" as a possible nickname, and then it was randomly selected for your player.
I don't think they're created by the developers, or not all of them, at least. I'm pretty sure members of the beta team have input, as well. But yes, they were created by someone and specifically added.

When I saw that thread on Reddit the other day, my first thought was that the person who posted it had to have created it himself. But there have been other terrible nicknames in the game, so I'm probably wrong about that.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Not random afaik. Nicknames for draft eligibles are a hint that they might develop better than no nickname.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I like the nicknames, but there needs to be a better way of assigning them.

They should take into account someones name, size, ratings, etc, and either reflect those things (eg a left handed pitcher being called "Lefty") or be ironic (eg a huge guy being called "Tiny"). Very occasional random nonsense is fine*, but it shouldn't be common.

*IRL I know two entirely separate guys who managed to acquire the nickname "Fish" for no good reason.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I just wanted to give you guys an idea of what I was talking about before. This player list is from my game, sorted for nicknames. Now, bear in mind that I did NOT want nicknames in my game, so I removed every line from nicknames.txt and turned off the option.

Still, I have nicknames. And they repeat, and repeat. I have four "Brains." Three "Cannonballs." Three "Happy Jacks." Three "Noisy's." Three "Strawberry Bills." Two guys happen to have acquired the odd nickname of "Gettysburg Eddie," one named Steve and the other Justin.

Default nicknames make no sense in OOTPB. I recommend the procedure in my post above.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

- Bru

Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Now, THESE are nicknames! All accomplished using my procedure.
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Old 08-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Another nice aspect of my procedure is that nicknames always appear in news articles and other references because, technically, the nickname is part of the first name.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Not random afaik. Nicknames for draft eligibles are a hint that they might develop better than no nickname.
I thought this might be the case and why I always take a nicknamed player over another player with similar ratings in the draft but no nickname.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
i agree. not a 1:1 relationship or anything but...

plus, i've seen things like Walter "Mad Man" White... or was it Maniac lol. coincedence on the Breaking Bad reference, but i do think there's some mild to weak link with nicknames.

then again, maybe we've just had some luck in our experiences.

(@bru)

also, looks like if you delete that file you get the repeated nicknames? better to leave it default, lol... even if tying to avoid it.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-18-2017 at 11:05 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
(@bru)

also, looks like if you delete that file you get the repeated nicknames? better to leave it default, lol... even if tying to avoid it.
I thought of that - maybe my attempts to suppress nicknames cause these few to leak through and keep repeating?

Well fortunately, I don't have to worry about that. I turned on default nicknames only to show what I see about them in my game. They are back off again so I can enjoy my 'Beer Belly' Borbely and 'Ice Cold' Sherbert.

- Bru

Old 08-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Still, I have nicknames. And they repeat, and repeat. I have four "Brains." Three "Cannonballs." Three "Happy Jacks." Three "Noisy's." Three "Strawberry Bills." Two guys happen to have acquired the odd nickname of "Gettysburg Eddie," one named Steve and the other Justin.
What might be happening is that the game is propagating nicknames from historical players in the database. All of the nicknames you mention were nicknames of actual MLB players. "Gettysburg Eddie," for instance, was the nickname of HOFer Eddie Plank. "Strawberry Bill" was the nickname of Bill Bernhard. Not sure how you get rid of those.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
What might be happening is that the game is propagating nicknames from historical players in the database. All of the nicknames you mention were nicknames of actual MLB players. "Gettysburg Eddie," for instance, was the nickname of HOFer Eddie Plank. "Strawberry Bill" was the nickname of Bill Bernhard. Not sure how you get rid of those.
Ah! Very good; thanks for clearing up a minor mystery. That's why I could not get rid of all nicknames by just cleaning out nicknames.txt before starting a game.

Mine is a fictional MLB history game but in order to start it, I create the historical MLB league from 1901. Then I flush out and delete the historical players, replace them with fictional ones, and schedule an inaugural draft. Historical nicknames are on the record at that point, I see now.

Well, you can see why I do what I do with first name nicknames, then. With default nicknames off, I don't have to periodically search for all of the instances of "Gettysburg Eddie" and "Strawberry Bill" to delete them.

EDIT: I should add that I have been playing in this style for quite a few years and I have often wondered why I could not completely eradicate default nicknames. Now I know why.

EDIT 2: Every one of those default nicknames that I show above appears on this list of Baseball Player Nicknames at Baseball Reference:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/f...icknames.shtml

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 08-21-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #16
micropterus58
All Star Starter

Déjà Bru, Love your nicknames. Some are very creative. Reminds me of ESPN's Chris Berman. I always loved Kevin "Largemouth" Bass. Take notice of my nickname.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropterus
micropterus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #17
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I think someone added the nickname for Dae-Ho Lee, and made a data entry error.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2016/11...detroit-tigers

Dae-Ho has two nicknames, "Big Boy" and also "Pig Tiger". Not bad nicknames for a roly-poly 1B. Combined, these two nicknames don't work the magic that chocolate and peanut butter weave.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropterus58 View Post
Déjà Bru, Love your nicknames. Some are very creative. Reminds me of ESPN's Chris Berman. I always loved Kevin "Largemouth" Bass. Take notice of my nickname.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropterus
I will try to work something into my game in your honor: "Bass," "Largemouth," "Smallmouth," maybe even "Micropterus" (which sounds like a dinosaur to me, but thanks to your Wikipedia link, I'm now educated).

- Bru

Old 08-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Best feature was the one that let us turn these away from displaying.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Deja Bru you should create a I'll give your player a nickname thread. If fact i need a nickname for a guy. Genrikh Dethwright.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote