Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Maybe a 1st?

Anyone know if this ever happened irl? Player gets drafted, doesn't sign and re-enters draft next year, then gets drafted by same team again?

Thought it was cool - plus he signed 2nd time.

It's opening day and here's his projected stat line for the season:
.361/.420/.694, 54 Hr, 154 Rbi. If he reaches those numbers than I'd say Pittsburgh did good in getting their man
Attached Images
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Bub13
All Star Reserve

One year of college and he said "who needs studying" and signed.
Bub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

I'm not sure if that's ever happened IRL. I know that if you don't sign you're not allowed to be drafted by the same team the next year unless you give permission to be drafted by them.
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

That was a disastrous decision by the player, due to the time value of money.

1) Take the 2016 slot value of 9th and 10th picks:

Ninth pick = $4,352,000
Tenth pick = $4,168,000

2) Assume the player has a long and successful major league level career, and ends up paying a tax rate of 35% a year.

3) Assume the player gets an 8% annual return on his signing bonus, saves every last dime, and doesn't add anything to that account.

$4,352,000 is worth $11.9 million in 20 years. $4,168,000 is worth $10.9 million in 19 years.

This guy played for UConn for a season while not getting paid, got a year older but didn't get closer to Free Agency, and when he's 42 and driving his kids to school before reporting to the set on the MLB Network, he's got a million dollars less than he could have banked.

He should have signed unless he was 100% certain he was a top 4 pick.

Last edited by Raidergoo; 03-26-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Anyone know if this ever happened irl? Player gets drafted, doesn't sign and re-enters draft next year, then gets drafted by same team again?

Thought it was cool - plus he signed 2nd time.

It's opening day and here's his projected stat line for the season:
.361/.420/.694, 54 Hr, 154 Rbi. If he reaches those numbers than I'd say Pittsburgh did good in getting their man
The closest thing i can think to this is in 2012, the Astros had the #1 pick. They had the chance to pick Mark Appel, who was believed to be the best pitcher in that draft. They passed on him and picked Carlos Correa. i think Appel was picked by Pittsburgh but didn't sign. And the Astros picked him with the #1 pick the next season.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub13 View Post
One year of college and he said "who needs studying" and signed.
as if nearly all athletes with real aspirations of a pro sports league are there for an education... that put a smile on my face.

i was stuck with a couple 'scholar-athletes' in college... they could barely formulate a sentence coherently. i re-wrote their entire portion of hte group project (my fault for getting an undergrad business degree, otherwise i wouldn't run into a buffoon like that... business degrees, communication, liberal arts = joke degrees, unsophisticaed, common sense stuff).. sure there are exceptions with athletes that are smart, but the point is that many are there only because of sports and are incredibly unqualified to be in college. it's a burden to people there for the actualy reason the university exists -> learning.

big-time sports need to be stripped from college institutions. it should be privatized and for profit, so that the kids can get paid as they should and be protected under labor laws. accepting a scholarship for free education and don't forget they receive free room and board, too, is payment as far as college is concerned...

they should not be paid if part of a college institution. it's a total sham the way it is now. it slowly evolved into this billion-dollar monster and people think it's normal. it's a business at this point and needs to be exclusive from education.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-26-2017 at 04:55 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Well, his numbers certainly didn't disappoint.
Attached Images
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
ederemer
Minors (Single A)

There's a player, DeAires Moses, got drafted by the Mariners out of high school and didn't sign. They drafted him out of college two years later, and 12 rounds earlier, and he signed.

There also used to be the draft and follow set-up, which I was somewhat a fan of.
ederemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Yes, there are lots of examples of guys who get drafted by a team out of HS (usually with a late-round flyer pick), then by the same team three years later out of college. There just aren't that many guys in the draft two years in a row to begin with (they would normally need to be JuCo guys, or the rare college seniors who didn't sign), and then there's the rule wingedlion points out above. And if a team drafts a guy once thinking they'll sign him, they probably won't go near him the next year if those negotiations ended up being an unproductive hassle. So if it has ever happened in real life, I'd bet it's only happened once or twice.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote