Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:09 AM   #161
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

He played for nine different organizations, some of them more than once. Yeah, he dissed us in his book, but we love him anyway. Interesting factoid - this dude has a better ERA+ than Jack Morris. Just sayin'. The one, the only - David "Boomer" Wells #36
Attached Images

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-11-2017 at 01:13 AM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #162
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Sometimes, particular numbers have been worn by so many good players over the years for a team that it's tough to decide who to honor. In the case of #36, it was easy.

David Cone.

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-11-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #163
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

36 Days Left

He's not a HOFamer, but if there was a Hall of Very Very Good, he would be one of the first to be in there.
He would have had much better stats if he wasn't on the lousy Mets teams of the 70s.

Jerry Koosman
Attached Images

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #164
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Sometimes, particular numbers have been worn by so many good players over the years for a team that it's tough to decide who to honor. In the case of #36, it was easy.

David Cone.

50th all-time amongst pitchers in bWAR, 40th all-time amongst pitchers in WAA. The win total doesn't suggest it, but this dude's a HoFer in my mind, and he should go in with a Yankee cap.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #165
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
He played for nine different organizations, some of them more than once. Yeah, he dissed us in his book, but we love him anyway. Interesting factoid - this dude has a better ERA+ than Jack Morris. Just sayin'. The one, the only - David "Boomer" Wells #36
And he threw a perfect game half drunk! Awesome!
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #166
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Many, many great #35s throughout MLB history. This guy wore it the longest, and wore it extremely well. Phil "Knucksie" Niekro #35
Attached Images
Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #167
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Magic number is 35.

He may not have been inducted this year, but in my mind, Mike Mussina is a HOFer. Maybe next year.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #168
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Slim pickins for #35 in Blue Jays history. This guy's the best of the bunch. He was a 1B, but never a slugger. He hit 20 HR twice in his time in Toronto and never drove in 100, but he was quite adept at getting on base and was considered an above average defender at 1B. Lyle Overbay #35
Attached Images
Old 02-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #169
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Magic number is 35.

He may not have been inducted this year, but in my mind, Mike Mussina is a HOFer. Maybe next year.

Definitely a HoFer. There will be a tug of war over the cap though. I think it should be Baltimore, but others may differ and it's close so it's worthy of a discussion IMHO.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #170
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Was trying to figure out which one you'd go with Caporegime, so I wouldn't upstage you. I figured you'd want Mussina due to tenure + effectiveness during his tenure, which left "Knucksie" open for me. There was also John Wetteland from a champioship team of course, but the Moose is a very good choice indeed.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:30 AM   #171
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
50th all-time amongst pitchers in bWAR, 40th all-time amongst pitchers in WAA. The win total doesn't suggest it, but this dude's a HoFer in my mind, and he should go in with a Yankee cap.
Should clarify my thoughts on Cone. If he were to get in (and I don't think he will), it would be a 3-way fight for the cap. I think it should be the Yankees, but the Mets and Royals also have legit cases.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:01 AM   #172
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Was trying to figure out which one you'd go with Caporegime, so I wouldn't upstage you. I figured you'd want Mussina due to tenure + effectiveness during his tenure, which left "Knucksie" open for me. There was also John Wetteland from a champioship team of course, but the Moose is a very good choice indeed.
Thanks for not upstaging me. If I had an agent, I'm sure he'd be grateful.

The only other player I considered posting was John Wetteland. He was only in pinstripes for a couple of years but his stay in the Bronx was memorable. Ralph Houk also was a possibility but he was a pinch before my time and, despite having a long career with the Yanks as a backup catcher to Yogi Berra and winning two WS titles his first three years as Yankee manager, the Major is best remembered for being the Yankees manager during their "lean years" between 1966-73.

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-12-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:03 AM   #173
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

35 Days Left

Rick Reed

He won the only game for the Mets in the 2000 World Series against the Yankees.
Attached Images

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:26 AM   #174
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Definitely a HoFer. There will be a tug of war over the cap though. I think it should be Baltimore, but others may differ and it's close so it's worthy of a discussion IMHO.
Obviously I'm biased, but I think one could make the better argument for him going in as a Yankee.

A) He pitched for the Yanks almost as long as he did for the Birds, so it's not as if he was a fly-by-nighter.

B) He pitched in his only WS as a Yankee.

C) He enjoyed his only 20-win season with the Yankees, an achievement that was very important to him and he seemed to take great pride in when it happened. In fact, the day he won his 20th was probably the only time I think I ever saw Moose display any emotion whatsoever in his eight years with the Yanks.

Mussina is an inordinately intelligent, savvy guy. Going in as a Yankee would simply be the smarter move in terms of his baseball legacy. Then again, like I stated above, I'm biased.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #175
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Mike Cuellar

that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #176
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I have been waiting for this one. Sorry Westheim.

The looks and expressions on the fans faces are the best. So human and cool.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 02-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #177
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaniac View Post
Mike Cuellar

Nice one Germaniac.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #178
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
35 Days Left

Rick Reed

He won the only game for the Mets in the 2000 World Series against the Yankees.
I remember my Strat cards not being allowed to show the names of the guys who were replacement players in 1995. I guess the union wouldn't sign off on it or something. Rick Reed was one of the more prominent ones among this group and I would imagine he paid quite dearly for it. Will Clark, for example has never forgiven any of them including Kevin Millar.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #179
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Re: Mussina and Cone.....

I'm not sure either of them is HOF material though Mussina is pretty close to sure thing probably, I always go by what uniform I most associate them with during their career.

For Mussina it's Baltimore and for Cone, who I'd be shocked and disappointed if he got in, it's either Yankees or Royals.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #180
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Ricky Henderson...think he makes it?
Attached Images
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote