Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of OOTP! OOTPBM 2006 is in development, and there is still time left to get your suggestions into the game.

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #61
Leahcim
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Suggestion

In the Player Strategy section, on the Pitcher Strategy Settings, have a setting for Pitch Around and Hold Baserunners for individual pitchers that would Override Team Strategy Settings, like Stealing Bases, Base-Running, Sacrifice Bunt, etc. does for individual batters.

Reason

I want my pitchers with good control to try to pitch around batters but not the ones that can't hit the strike zone when they are trying. I want my pitchers that are good at holding runners to hold runners but not the ones who can't hold runners. There is no way of doing this in the game.

Priority

probably low, but it would be nice to be able to do this.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #62
texasmame
All Star Starter

Suggestion

The ability to choose, on a case-by-case basis during the game, if your guy running should try and take an extra base. I know you can set it up in the "game settings" for individual players, but that doesn't take into account the arm of the (out)fielder you're challenging.

Reason
I want Ichiro to try and go from first to third on Damon, for example, but probably not on Vlad.

Priority
Medium, unless you end up adding base coaches to the game whom you can tweak.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #63
texasmame
All Star Starter

Suggestion
Inhereted runners scored % in regular stat saving (not just in boxscore for the game).

Reason
REALLY needed to judge effectiveness of middle/LOOGY types.

Priority
High - should be there already!!!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #64
ms2002
All Star Starter

Suggestion
Make the Managers more important and unique! Give them more varying attributes (like "hot-headed," "patient" or "Standoff-ish") that can contribute to a team's chemistry and player development.

Reason
Although their importance has been debated by statheads for a while now, it is nonetheless true that managers can become the face of the team. I'd love to see the managers have more personality and traits. Instead of having a slider which can be difficult to interpret, I think there should be just a written list of the managers preferences: i.e. Lou Piniella: * Hot-headed * Favors veterans * Works his starters deep * Not afraid to put the game in motion ...etc... They should have a strong impact on the team and their history should be tracked better.

Priority
Medium - not necessary, but it would be great to see..
Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #65
ms2002
All Star Starter

Suggestion
Greatly expand a player's personality!!! Replace the cold stats (ex. 65 for greed) with written statements (like "Wants more than his share of money on the market"). Add lots of more traits/tidbits like Football Manager and some Basketball Sims - things like whether they're married, their hobbies, their social tendencies (players that party often can disrupt a clubhouse, or "clubhouse cancers" like John Rocker or Carl Everett), their college, perhaps even their religious and political preferences etc. These attributes could either be worked into the engine or could just be randomly generated cosmetics. Either way, it'd still add a lot to the game. Work on making a player's hometown more relevant to who he plays for (ex. if a player grew up in Texas, he may prefer to only play in cities with similar climates - this should be stated in the profile).

Reason
The game's statistical engine is pretty damn good right now. The generated photos add a lot of personality to the game. I think what the game needs to take it to the next level is to make the game more personable. Just like in real life, we should have favorite players based on their personalities. It adds much more depth to the game that already excels in its simulation.

Priority
Medium to high. I don't know how others feel in regards to this, but I personally would love to see this more than most anything.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #66
ms2002
All Star Starter

[ please delete ]

Last edited by ms2002; 08-08-2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: posted in player contracts
Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #67
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms2002 View Post
Suggestion
Greatly expand a player's personality!!! Replace the cold stats (ex. 65 for greed) with written statements (like "Wants more than his share of money on the market"). Add lots of more traits/tidbits like Football Manager and some Basketball Sims - things like whether they're married, their hobbies, their social tendencies (players that party often can disrupt a clubhouse, or "clubhouse cancers" like John Rocker or Carl Everett), their college, perhaps even their religious and political preferences etc. These attributes could either be worked into the engine or could just be randomly generated cosmetics. Either way, it'd still add a lot to the game. Work on making a player's hometown more relevant to who he plays for (ex. if a player grew up in Texas, he may prefer to only play in cities with similar climates - this should be stated in the profile).

Reason
The game's statistical engine is pretty damn good right now. The generated photos add a lot of personality to the game. I think what the game needs to take it to the next level is to make the game more personable. Just like in real life, we should have favorite players based on their personalities. It adds much more depth to the game that already excels in its simulation.

Priority
Medium to high. I don't know how others feel in regards to this, but I personally would love to see this more than most anything.
I think stuff like that should definatley have an effect on the game. People who are greedy or big mouthed or whatever should affect their teams chemistry, and some players should be more likely to fight and stuff.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #68
falkonisback
All Star Reserve

Suggestion
Have the ability to save 'Depth Charts' the same way there is a 'Save Lineup' feature.

Reason
So that when players get injured or your depth chart gets messed up for some reason, you could just click 'Restore Saved Depth Chart' or maybe have just one button that restores both a 'Saved Depth Chart' and 'Saved Lineup'.

Priority
Medium/High
Old 08-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #69
falkonisback
All Star Reserve

Suggestion
Have a minimum 5 year wait after retirement before players are eligible to be inducted into the HOF. Or at least make it a option like 5 year HOF eligibility -->ON/OFF
</br>Reason
Adds to the realism of the game. Plus I think alot of players would appreciate this feature.
</br>Priority
Low/Medium
Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #70
battists
Hall Of Famer

Suggestion
Implement a pitching model that incorporates different skill levels for different pitches

Reason
Would provide a more realistic model of the real world

Priority
Medium
Old 08-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #71
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Suggestion
Implement a pitching model that incorporates different skill levels for different pitches

Reason
Would provide a more realistic model of the real world

Priority
Medium
Please! This would make my day.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #72
Tony M
Global Moderator

Suggestion

Add game fielding stats to the player structure

Reason

The database structure has a summary of batting and pitching stats for each game a player plays in, but not of the fielding.

Priority

Medium (though High would be nice as it'd let me fully complete my players vs teams mod)
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #73
chippered
Minors (Double A)

Suggestion
How about a "Team HOF" where we could enshrine our favorite players that arent quite league HOF material. It would be set up the same as league HOF, but in our team homepage as a separate entity.

Reason

This would be a great way to remember our favorite players both in solo and online leagues.

Priority
Medium.

Last edited by chippered; 08-13-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #74
John
Minors (Double A)

Fictional Player Creation

A couple things than irk me about the fictional player creation model that maybe need to be tweaked...

Way too many Throws "R" / Bats "L" and vice versa... no way near accurate historically, almost seems random

Way too many 2B, SS, 3B also rated at 1B and at multiple positions (but especially 1B... I haven't done any stats but it sure seems like 75% of the infielders created have a 1B rating).

Same in the OF, way to many players created with ratings at LF, CF, RF... especially those that will never see CF unless everyone else on the roster pulls a hammy.

Is this one suggestion... or 3?????
Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #75
falkonisback
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippered View Post
Suggestion
How about a "Team HOF" where we could enshrine our favorite players that arent quite league HOF material. It would be set up the same as league HOF, but in our team homepage as a separate entity.

Reason
This would be a great way to remember our favorite players both in solo and online leagues.

Priority
Medium.
In addition to having a team HOF/Ring of Honor...Have a way for a team to retire a number and have some way to maybe view the team's jersey with the name and number on it of the player whose number has been retired.</br>
Priority: Low/Medium
Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #76
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Suggestion

Pre-configured AI managers.

Reason

It would be less time-consuming to choose between different manager styles (hit one button) than to change all of the strategy settings by hand.

Priority

High
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #77
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

Suggestion

Add more advanced fielding statistic, such as zone rating.

Reason

OOTP doesn't really give us too many fielding stats currently - range factor and fielding percentage are just about all we have to go by. Sabermetricians have recently come up with new, more advanced fielding metrics, & my basic understanding of this is that it takes all "reachable" batted balls as the denominator and total chances as the numerator, thus yielding a percentage. It strikes me that this might not be terribly difficult to keep track of in a simulation game, where "reachable ball" might actually be something that's defined in the engine (I confess I have no idea how the fielding engine works in OOTP).

Priority

Medium - Not essential, but would be an awesome feature.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #78
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

Suggestion

Add park-adjusted DIPS ERA (dERA) to tracked pitcher stats.

Reason

dERA is the single best predictor of future pitching performance and is thus an extremely important evaluation tool. Formula here: http://www.futilityinfielder.com/dipsexpl.html .

Priority

High

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #79
lt2cents
Minors (Triple A)

Suggestion--

Greatly improve AI GM player moves throughout the minors.

(In the short term if the AI must go through these algorithms to figure out player assignments, at least hide the silliness from the transaction pages, do it internally and just update the final result perhaps.)

Reason--
50 players are not reassigned every couple days. If you are trying to play a manager career in the minors of a major league organization it is crazy to see these players flying around and your rotation and lineup constantly whacked.

Priority--
Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #80
lt2cents
Minors (Triple A)

Suggestion--

Provide an inactive list for minor league teams (in a major league system) to place injured/other inactive players.

Reason--

Currently there is no practical way to use roster limits in the minors. This will help also to allow lowest minor league team to not have to hold all extra inactive players of organization. This is another in a series of improvements that facilitate minor league system roster management.

Priority--
Closed Thread