Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
BKL
All Star Reserve

How Do You Play Out Games?

Just wondering for those who actually play out games, how to you go about it? Do you adjust tactics during the game? What typically do you look at, etc.

I like to play out games but trying to get a feel for the best way to enjoy it and influence the outcome.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
Just wondering for those who actually play out games, how to you go about it? Do you adjust tactics during the game? What typically do you look at, etc.

I like to play out games but trying to get a feel for the best way to enjoy it and influence the outcome.
For me personally, the offseason is the most enticing part for me. If the game had a way to watch the game play out like OOTP Baseball, I might be more apt to watch more games play out. I generally do play the preseason so I can find the tactics that get the best results for the team, then I sim the season once I'm getting results close to my liking.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
seven
All Star Reserve

For me, playing out games is the best part of FHM. But unfortunately, this aspect of FHM still needs a lot of work. I think underneath what we can see is a very good and detailed game engine, but the UI and displays associated with a game being played still has a long way to go.
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
BKL
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
For me, playing out games is the best part of FHM. But unfortunately, this aspect of FHM still needs a lot of work. I think underneath what we can see is a very good and detailed game engine, but the UI and displays associated with a game being played still has a long way to go.
I would be interested to learn how you change/adapt tactics and lineups during the game if your team is winning or losing? Also, do you make changes before the game based on the team you are playing?
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:05 AM   #5
seven
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I would be interested to learn how you change/adapt tactics and lineups during the game if your team is winning or losing? Also, do you make changes before the game based on the team you are playing?
Actually, I let the game's AI control all teams.
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:50 AM   #6
scotty
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

Hi,
here are some of the indicators I use :-
am I being badly out-shot
do I keep falling further behind
looking at the in-game player ratings - is any player struggling

Here are some of the things I change :-
in the "Lines" screen move players around between lines
change the minutes per line, sometimes set the 4th line to zero and just go with 3 lines
occasionally make an early goalie change
in the "Tactics" screen generally make things more or less offensive, I tend to do these at the global level and sometimes at the unit (ie individual lines) level (but see caveat below). I seldom change individual player characteristics.

You need to be a wee bit careful with some of these in-game changes cos there are a few glitches which need to be ironed out. When moving players between lines just dragging them onto a new line doesnt work properly - you need to explicitly select them from the player list on the left. Also, seems like when you make a change to one line (Unit) in the "Tactics" that change is applied to all lines - not sure but I think that's what happens.

Hope these ideas help. By the way, what sort of things do you do ?

Cheers
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I have 2 Custom Leagues.

I haven't messed around with rosters except for moving one player.

I play out 3 games per scheduled day for 52 team league.
I play out 4 games per scheduled day for 60 team league.

The 52 team league plays NHL rules concerning OT.
The 60 team league plays 10 minute OT(no sudden death,no shootout) with 2 points for win and one point for a tie and 0 points for loss.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 10-07-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
Templer
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I use all the options the FHM5 offers me.
For me, it just depends on the mood.
Templer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
Colorado
Major Leagues

Quote:
I'd be interested in learning how others play this out too. 👍
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Hi,

change the minutes per line, sometimes set the 4th line to zero and just go with 3 lines
in the "Tactics" screen generally make things more or less offensive, I tend to do these at the global level and sometimes at the unit (ie individual lines) level (but see caveat below). I seldom change individual player characteristics.

You need to be a wee bit careful with some of these in-game changes cos there are a few glitches which need to be ironed out. When moving players between lines just dragging them onto a new line doesnt work properly - you need to explicitly select them from the player list on the left. Also, seems like when you make a change to one line (Unit) in the "Tactics" that change is applied to all lines - not sure but I think that's what happens.

Cheers
I take a similar approach, but chemistry is a thing this year and it does improve as the season goes along, so if a line or players have good chemistry then I try to keep those players together.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #11
COMarc
Bat Boy

Ah, sad.

I know its just my preferences, but I tend to buy the games of this genre to play out the games. I enjoy the wheeling and dealing of setting up a team. But to me where the rubber really meets the road is when you go into a game to coach and get to see the team in action. I'm not really a fan of just simming games to see the results. Its the in-game coaching of these sports that gets me to shell out money.

Oh well, my Thoroughbreds have just won the division and the playoffs are about to begin in OOTP.
COMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:58 AM   #12
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Hi,

Cheers

Thanks Scotty there are basically the same things i do too. But this year i'm struggling to understand wich effect (if any) these changes have in my game. Last year 'momentum meter' was easier to understand
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #13
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Well, I've changed how I play recently.....I've just felt a need to be more immersed than just quickly simming through a season and going through the off season. I'm now watching all games sim through so I have a better idea of how the team is performing. I'm also setting the lines, roles, and such myself. I simply want to feel more in control of my team.